Panic (A Leopold Blake Thriller #2)

Panic (A Leopold Blake Thriller #2)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Swift. Silent. Deadly.

Leopold Blake, expert criminology consultant for the FBI, had his weekend all planned out – and it didn't involve dealing with a murdered senator, a high-profile kidnapping, and at least three near-death experiences.

Three politicians have been murdered in as many weeks, all expertly dispatched, and only Leopold can get to the bottom of it. Unfortunate...more
Published February 26th 2013 by WJ Books Ltd

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverBoundless by Cynthia Hand
2013 Releases
274th out of 591 books — 996 voters
The Cana Mystery by David  BeckettThe Golden Crystal by Nick ThackerPanic by Nick StephensonIndisputable Proof by Gary WilliamsIntrinsical by Lani Woodland
Best Thriller/ Mysteries of the 21st Century
3rd out of 43 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Nick Stephenson
Dec 04, 2013 Nick Stephenson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
[comments from the author] I wrote Panic to best capture the essence of books I enjoy reading the most. Namely; flat-out pacing, plot twists a-plenty, pulse-pounding action, and a central mystery that will keep you guessing. I wanted to combine the brain-twists of a classic mystery with the excitement of an action thriller, and I’m very pleased with the results.

I hope you all enjoy.
Craig McGray
Buckle up, because Nick Stephenson has penned a thriller that speeds by at break-neck pace. Leopold Blake and his partner Jerome, have grabbed me by the throat and I can't wait to see what they have waiting for them in the rest of the series.

With precise blows, Stephenson creates fight scenes that had me clenching my jaw with tension. The twists and turns put into the story kept me guessing and it only took a couple of sittings before I turned the last page.

Solid character development, and obv...more
Judie
Just think of the Energizer Bunny: He just keeps going and going and going.

Criminology consultant Leopold Blake and the others working on his case–his body guard, Jerome, and Police Sergeant Mary Jordan--could be the bunny’s models. Despite being knocked unconscious, beaten, shot, and otherwise put out of commission, they manage to wake up, get up, and continue chasing the bad guys.
The deaths of three state senators from different areas of the country, all appearing to be suicides, and the di...more
Simon Jenner
With danger lurking around every corner, FBI consultant Leopold Blake fights for his life on way too many occasions as he tries to get to the bottom of a well-planned kidnapping and several high profile murders.

Leopold is an unusual but likeable character. He will do whatever it takes to see justice prevail and seems to have a sixth sense for clues that others miss. Jerome is his beast of a bodyguard, but after 20 years of service has become more of a sidekick and best friend. He is definitely t...more
Waiting within the pages of 'Panic' there are some fascinating characters. I particularly liked the ever resourceful bodyguard Jerome who has strength and heart in equal measure... Well maybe just a little more strength. That man's a beast! One of the great things about the book is that even the support characters are given heart and purpose - I found Arthur hilarious!

This book definitely reminded me of Sherlock Holmes mixed with a generous helping of James Bond. As a reader I was instantly intr...more
Jaideep

Book Review: Panic by Nick Stephenson: An FBI Expert Becomes Murder Suspect

Panic: A Leopold Blake Thriller is written by Nick Stephenson in a very interesting manner that makes this murder mystery fiction a very engrossing read. Three top political leaders are murdered in a mysterious manner and the case goes to FBI expert Leopold Blake who has expertise in resolving such kind of complex cases. The cases which are of very high complexity and are thought to...more
Nicko
This book was a good read but lost two stars for the following reasons:

1) The story reads like an 80's action flick. The mystery is really non-existent since you get to know the real bad guy early on into the book. Not much of a twist until the very end and it's not a twist: it's a cliffhanger that I am assuming sets the tone of the second book. Everything else is action. Unrealistic action. Another reviewer noted that Leopold Blake seems to be all-knowing / all-powerful and this rings true. The...more
Bert
This is the first of the Leopold Blake mystery series novels. We have the protagonist as an independently wealthy criminalist/profiler/consultant who is called in to find the killer of three state senators and three young adults. He or she has also kidnapped the adult daughter of a United States Senator. Lots of enigmatic twists & turns, as slowly the connection between the events becomes more obvious. The author has skillful descriptions of physical challenges and confrontations, weapons sy...more
Kristi
Fun novel. The main character Leopold Blake is a bit Sherlockian in his deduction skills. The book is full of action and there were some moments with eyeballs that made me pretty squeamish. Some of the situations they found themselves in got a bit over-the-top for me. Enjoyed the cast of characters and look forward to reading more about them. The mystery is solved...sort of. Definitely leads you on to the next book(s).
James
Having already been disappointed by book two in this series, I decided to give the author another chance and wish I hadn't. This is a fast-moving mystery that could have made a great read, but it is written more as a come-on for the rest of the series than a stand-alone book. It is the first in the series, and the author fulfilled his purpose well. Unfortunately, his purpose was to promote the other Leopold Blake books rather than to provide the reader with a great reading experience. He introdu...more
Kay Hadashi
Exciting book to read. The scenes were unique and exciting, with a fresh plot and characters. The first book I've read in a long time that I couldn't put down.
Kelsey Ketch
At first, I was very intrigued by Panic, especially in the initial chapters. They were thrilling and engaging. I loved the introduction of the different characters. I even liked how Leopold proved himself an expert in the very first chapter, countering the doubt the police had over the homicide scene. Unfortunately, about half way through, the story lost my interest for several reasons.

The first reason was that Leopold had too much knowledge about… well… everything. It wasn’t that he was just an...more
Rishika S.
Panic comes with a tagline of sorts - A Leopold Blake Thriller. There is only one problem with that though; the book isn't all that much of a thriller.

The good points of Panic include a more than decent story line, a good mix of characters, and some really detailed action sequences that leave you feeling like you're watching a movie. Unfortunately, even the good points couldn't really hold up the book or make it very thriller like.

While the story is not bad, it's not exactly innovative or out of...more
Rashmi Pant
Leopold Blake is an extremely rich man. He as all the time in the world and can just "look" at a crime scene and "solve it". He has access to the latest, in technology in terms of weapons and kills with impunity. Fights break out, people are killed but no collateral damage and no witnesses found. Crimes scenes cleaned up and no evidence left. All this and he is just a police consultant! Well, please forgive me if i say, some logic would have been nice.
Hans Doreleyers
Fast paced

This is a faced-paced adventure thriller full of action but low on substance. The hero has been blessed with second sight, allowing him to unravel the most obscure situation from even the slightest hint of fact or conjecture. It made for easy reading,but I prefer a more realistic, well developed plot.
Lauren Good
A laughably absurd novel, but I kind of enjoyed it. The protagonists Sherlockian leaps of logic are one thing, but he's a wealthy and well-known individual and they leave his battered car at the scene of a crime amongst other destruction -- and no one comes looking for him? He's running around coming up with military-esque attack plans (with no such background as far as I can tell) absolutely blindly, and his friendly NYPD sergeant is more than happy to follow him, break laws with him, and walk...more
Krissy
Decent thrillers are difficult to come by these days. Especially ones that keep the amp up all the way through the story - even with the amusing slightly comedic moments that should be horrifying or grotesque but I like that kind of thing. Call me deranged or whatever but it works.
I really enjoyed this one.
Lisa
I liked it and enjoyed the story, but it was like watching a movie where the main character can do no wrong and knows everything. And I did not enjoy reading the fight scenes - just couldn't seem to follow what exactly was going on.
Greg Strandberg
This book has a lot of action and the scenes were pretty tight. It's nice to have easy transitions that don't end real abruptly, and I thought this book pulled that off.

Nick Stephenson is certainly an author of thrillers that you'll want to keep your eye on.
Joel Ungar
Positive: author capably spins his tale and it reads easily.

Negative: most just isn't plausible. Reads like other author's lesser works.
Mark Gunnell
Average. Good non-stop action, though some of the fights seemed to drag on a bit.
Stephanie Potts
Intrigued by ending. Want to read next book.
Pete Sampson
Pretty good book.
Min
The plot was predictable. The characters were reasonably ok, nothing unusual about the silent yet efficient bodyguard, the pretty but tired police detective, and the mr-know-it-all expert. The fighting scenes are a little drawn out to my liking, although I appreciate the moves required. A typical Hero wins the day despite all the hurt, injuries, and everything else thrown at them. Amazing how the Hero (in this case, the Expert) can survive everything, and I mean, everything, but all the bad guys...more
R.P. Rochford
I must admit I found the plot rather difficult to believe as it is just a little too fantastic. It is difficult to imagine that the main characters would be able to survive so many life threatening experiences during such a short period of time. However, I still found the story entertaining and it kept my interest all the way through. After all, we all enjoy watching James Bond too although most of his adventures are too far-fatched when compared to real life.
Matthew Cousens
I finished reading this around 4:30am, that's how much I enjoyed it. I found some parts of the subplot to be predictable and the descriptions of the fight scenes to be overly detailed, but this was an excellent book. My only complaint, and a minor one at that, is that the author twice mentioned seeing sirens -- someone needs to inform the author you can only hear sirens, not see them. I'm hooked on this series now and looking forward to book two.
Tara
1. No character development: It felt like the characters were written about somewhere else and you should have come in knowing them. 2. Silly and see through plot: I had it mostly figured about 1/3 in. 3. Main character kept reminding me of a combo of Sherlock Holmes and Tony Stark (Ironman.) Too many gadgets, ridiculous fight scenes and lack of injury, considering the brutality of the fight scenes, made the character seem "super-heroish."
Joy Clintsman
I enjoyed the story and it grabbed your interest to keep reading to the end. It wasn't one of those where you knew the ending before you were halfway through. The characters were interesting and the action kept things moving. I didn't really notice any section that wasn't relevant to the plot. My only complaint is that there were some areas where incorrect words were used and should have been caught in the editing process.
Dan Barbier
Intriguing first novel by a new writer. Leopold Blake is the brain, Jerome is the brawn, that's how you can describe this duo. Blake is a made of the same mold as Sherlock Holmes, agent Pendergast, Patrick Bowers. Very resourceful and highly intelligent, he is also not a superhero. He needs his bodyguard to provide the muscle for his plans to work. A new writer and a new series, well worth watching.
  • Noble Intentions: Season One
  • Dark Prairies
  • Foreign Deceit (A David Wolf Novel)
  • Casanova Killer:  An SSCD Crime Thriller
  • Revenant (Paskagankee, #2)
  • Run Run As Fast As You Can (Emma Frost #3)
  • Breakthrough
  • Fatal Exchange
  • Apocalypse Island
  • A Rush to Violence (Fifth Avenue #5)
  • Superior Justice
  • Stolen in Paradise
  • Connected
  • Ghost in the Machine (Scott Cullen Mysteries #1)
  • The Profiler's Daughter (Sky Stone Thriller Series)
  • In Her Shadow
  • Love Gone to the Dogs
  • The Beholder (Maddie Richards Mystery, #1)
Nick Stephenson was born and raised in Cambridgeshire, England and will now refer to himself in the first person. My approach to writing is to hit hard, hit fast, and leave as few spelling errors as possible. I write thrillers, suspense novels, and the occasional witty postcard, all of which are designed to get your pulse pounding. Don’t let my headshot fool you – I’m actually full colour, on most...more
More about Nick Stephenson...
Wanted (A Leopold Blake Thriller #1) Departed (A Leopold Blake Thriller, #3) Paydown (A Leopold Blake Thriller #0.5) Eight The Hard Way Ratio (A Leopold Blake Thriller, #4)