Start by marking “Destroyer of Worlds” as Want to Read:

4.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
There are sometimes larger and more powerful forces at play in the universe than those that could end all of existence. Even the seemingly most insignificant of lives can have an enormous impact on the world, and every living creature on it. Death isn’t always the end, and to some even an apocalypse can be little more than a means to an end.
Published February 19th 2013 by Witless Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Destroyer of Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Destroyer of Worlds

The Bird Day Battalion by Genevieve DeweyThe Meat Market by James ChalkInto the Killer Sphere by Stefania MattanaGalactic Energies by Luca  RossiDestroyer of Worlds by Dennis Sharpe
Good short fiction
5th out of 554 books — 449 voters
The Elephant Tree by R.D. RonaldThe King of Attolia by Megan Whalen TurnerThe Zombie Room by R.D. RonaldInside Out by Maria V. SnyderThe Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade
Books You Wish More People Knew About
304th out of 14,471 books — 13,839 voters

More lists with this book...

K.R.
Mar 04, 2013 K.R. rated it it was amazing
I happened upon this story at a suggestion from a close friend. Always happy to support an indie author, I jumped at the opportunity to read author Dennis Sharpe's latest mind blower.

On the outer layer of this amazing story, we see a guy uncaring and complacent with life. Living out his days until there are no more days.

On a deeper level, we see a Gehenna-like abyss, the opening scene gently introducing us to humankind. The heart of this story tells of our inability to see beyond the here and no
Alexia Purdy
What a different and interesting story with a surprising twist! I was hooked from the start.

This story shows us a devastating character David who has basically given up on living, perpetually depressed and has lost any kind of focus in his life. Though he is very much alive, he barely manages to live as a shell of a man since losing the most important person in his life. He could be someone anyone knows. This story shows us the end of the world, literally, as we know it with a shocking twist, al
Ashley Chappell
Mar 04, 2013 Ashley Chappell rated it it was amazing
I can't remember the last time I was this pulled into a short story. Destroyer of Worlds sets up such a bleak character as Dave as though painted on a canvas I could see. His pain over his daughter, his divorce, and the walls he'd hidden himself behind we're constructed quickly and thoroughly. I'd like to see more stories like this one!
Christoph Fischer
Mar 02, 2013 Christoph Fischer rated it it was amazing
“Destroyer of Worlds” by Dennis Sharpe is the story of David, a man who lost his daughter all too soon, a man whose marriage has ended and a man who drinks way too much. With great insight in to the human psyche and with a deep and almost philosophical narrative Sharpe shows us how David’s small world has fallen apart.
Then one day, due to extra-planetary events, it comes to light that the inevitable destruction of the world is at hand
This short story is a well written and cleverly constructed p
S. Policar
Mar 13, 2013 S. Policar rated it it was amazing
This story set me in mind of Stephen King's Dark Tower Series or a Twilight Zone episode!
David is seemingly stuck in perpetual loop. Repeating the same time over and over again. When he returns to the Destroyer he always answers the question the same, and yet he hasn't figured out what must be done to avoid the loop.
I did smile at his efforts, but in my opinion the way to end the loop lied in his answer to the destroyer not in the things he did outside of that.
I liked how in each loop there were
Wanda Hartzenberg
Mar 10, 2013 Wanda Hartzenberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shorts
Existential is a word I do not use often but for this story I can find no better word! The grief of a parent over the loss of a child is however the crux of the story and the message is clear! Live, live don't settle for a mere existence for love never dies! This is a brilliant story, one I would recommend you read!
WaAr!
Dennis Sharpe
Feb 20, 2013 Dennis Sharpe rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is unfair. Of course I'm going to give it five stars. I adore this story.
Msqun
Feb 20, 2013 Msqun rated it it was amazing
The mystery of it will keep you clinging all the way til the end. It drew me in and had me seeking to find the deeper meanings of what was to come I wanted to know what the purpose was the whole way through. Edge of my seat in a good way. I felt there was a very real purpose. In the end, it became much more clear and I felt I had grasped not only what the main character, David, was to learn, but my own lesson as well. The book really comes alive and I understand the message that was intended. It ...more
Severus
Jul 23, 2013 Severus rated it it was amazing
This story really spoke to me for me. It’s like how you can’t move on until you let go of the past. Also, no matter how much it hurts to lose something so precious to you, in the end that can be the beginning of so much more. When you suddenly know that it's okay to just let go move on. Also, holding on to the past can hold you back or keep you down. You really have to let go of the past. When you do you can move forward and that’s what it’s all about.

On my second reading of this one I found eve
Claire Taylor
Mar 03, 2013 Claire Taylor rated it it was amazing
Dennis Sharpe
Destroyer of Worlds

The story may be short, but it certainly gets under your skin and keeps you thinking long after finishing it. The writer had a way of drawing me completely in, then shocked me with a twist I never saw coming. An easy read, this book has so many levels to it I’m sure everyone would get something different out of it.

I received an e-copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Abbym
Feb 23, 2013 Abbym rated it it was amazing
OMG! This is a roller coaster. Its hard to believe that it was just a short story. I finished reading it and put my kindle down and had a glass of wine and then read it again. I fell into the story immediately and it held me in there. It was intense. I was so taken into the moments of it that I felt the emptiness and sadness. I felt the elation and joy. By the end I was uncontrollably smiling from ear to ear. It was over to soon.
Nicole
Feb 10, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Without giving away any spoilers, I want to say that Sharpe has a way of reeling the reader in and making a very melancholy and lost character easily relatable, making the reader question their own sense of whether or not you could do more to pursue your happiness, and when is it time to let anguish go. Very well written and flows beautifully. A highly recommended read.
Jenny Kavalaugh
Feb 21, 2013 Jenny Kavalaugh rated it it was amazing
A friend gifted this story to my kindle. I explained to her that I didn't have the time to read it. She assured me that it was only 30 pages, was a fast read, and I'd thank her for reading it.

She was right. I found it to be funny at points and sad at others. All said though it was a very moving story that I am happy to have read.
Buck Ward
Jun 09, 2013 Buck Ward rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Not bad. Not bad at all. Short and sweet - with allusions to Groundhog Day and 2001: A Space Odyssey like inside jokes.
Jen O
Jun 25, 2013 Jen O rated it it was amazing
I actually cried. It was a little too short but it was very moving.
Scarlett Sharpe
Feb 21, 2013 Scarlett Sharpe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-read
This story is amazing and left me in tears of joy! The author presented a short story that kept me reading as fast as I to try and find out exactly what was going on, but it also left enough clues throughout that I had theories that continually changed and kept me extremely entertained. While the suspense alone was enough to make this a great read, there was still something deeper and more meaningful that left me so touched that the story did not end when the words on the screen did. It left me ...more
Lillian Cummings
Jan 19, 2016 Lillian Cummings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love can destroy all

Dave's life is a mess, he drinks too much and doesn't care about except for his dead daughter. He has being have strange dreams of the world and he can't understand who the mysterious woman is. Once she tells him then does he realize that it is time to let go of all the pain and hurt that he is carrying around. We all do the same as Dave we hold on too hard sometimes and it can destroy our future happiness.
J.V.K.
Mar 05, 2013 J.V.K. rated it it was amazing
The Destroyer of Worlds by Dennis Sharpe is a short story that carries an interesting concept for plot and storyline development. The author has created a timeline that, whilst fragmented and non-linear, it adds to the curiosity of the story.

The plot is sad, but in a beautiful way. The way that the author has crafted his main character piqued my interest. Throughout the story, we are brought back to him, and feel stuck with them, in their own personal worm hole.

The story of David, the main chara
Jessi
Mar 19, 2015 Jessi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautifully written story of two people when the world has ended but the opening is great because the author doesn't tell you anything until the two main characters begin a intriguing journey/conversation like no other. many concepts are explored and thought throughout this story. A must read.
Aleccia Shaffer
Feb 18, 2015 Aleccia Shaffer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Amazing!

I'll be honest...I came into this story expecting it to be good, because Dennis Sharpe is a very talented individual...but I did not expect to so sincerely fall in love with a story.

I'm without words really. Everyone should read this story. Everyone.

Meaka Kyel
Mar 13, 2013 Meaka Kyel rated it it was amazing
I reread this story because it had been a while since I'd originally had the pleasure of getting lost in it. I'm glad to say I remembered it perfectly. Dennis Sharpe does a fantastic job of letting us feel the main character's pain and loneliness. When he meets a mysterious woman at a gas station, he finds out that things aren't entirely what they seem. What she reveals to him changes him completely. I won't go into too much detail because you need to read this for yourself.
Dan
Jan 01, 2014 Dan rated it really liked it
I won this book through a giveaway from the author. This short story dives into how the things that truly matter sometimes get lost when a person suffers a major loss/depression. The story has a little groundhog's day mixed with sci-fi, but I really liked it. I'll probably read it again.
Brandy Roosevelt
Feb 20, 2013 Brandy Roosevelt rated it it was amazing
Mr Sharpe does an amazing job of making you feel like the emotions of his main character are tangible things. The descriptions of the environment around the character are easily able to pull you in so you see what Dave sees. Loved how it wrapped up.
Tasha S
Mar 15, 2013 Tasha S rated it it was amazing
Well played Mr. Sharpe, well played. Like with Blood & Spirits, this wasn't my genre but I checked it out, and now I am craving more. I fell in love with the characters and didn't want the story to end. I need more!
Jenifer Fontana
Feb 21, 2013 Jenifer Fontana rated it it was amazing
A moving and suspenseful story that kept me second guessing my theories at every turn. Exquisite! I highly recommend it! Can't wait to read more by this Author!
Nikki
Mar 06, 2013 Nikki rated it it was amazing
It was very thought provoking. An emotional read. A classic fable with a twist. Only 31 pages but it could definitely have been expanded. Very good story.
Nic atinegrrrl
Mar 06, 2013 Nic atinegrrrl rated it it was amazing
Love. Letting go. Heartbreak. Pain. This story is surreal for its size. Bravo.
Patrick O'Brien
Feb 20, 2013 Patrick O'Brien rated it really liked it
Read this before it was a stand alone. Enjoyed it.
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Born and raised in the middle of the American Midwest, Dennis Sharpe has been a writer as long as he can remember. His mother has told many people about the fantasy and science fiction stories he'd write on scraps of paper, and staple together as his 'books', before he'd attended his first day of formal education.

He has spent many late nights at diners and dives, drinking coffee with a tattered no
More about Dennis Sharpe...

“Like almost every truly horrible thing that has ever happened in the history of our world, the end also began with a kiss.” 29 likes
“Why do you dwell on things that don’t matter when there are so many things that do?” 13 likes