Start by marking “Motherwit: An Alabama Midwife's Story” as Want to Read:
Motherwit: An Alabama Midwife's Story

Motherwit: An Alabama Midwife's Story

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Born the fourteenth child in a family of sixteen, Onnie Lee Logan decided early that midwifery would be her life's work. The experiences she gained from the hundreds of babies she birthed during 40 years makes for a biography that is rich and compelling.
Published January 30th 1991 by Plume (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Motherwit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motherwit

Alaska and Back by Dorothy May MercerLooking for Alaska by John GreenA Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark TwainGods in Alabama by Joshilyn JacksonAlaska by James A. Michener
Name of State (USA) in Title: A-C
14th out of 125 books — 30 voters
Baby Catcher by Peggy VincentMidwives by Chris BohjalianThe Midwife by Jennifer WorthSpiritual Midwifery by Ina May GaskinThe Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman
Midwifery books
26th out of 116 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Liz
Dec 04, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it
I purchased this book because it was required for a doula training that I completed. At first I was skeptical that a memoir/oral history would be helpful, but I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, I think I gained more from this book than I did from any of the (excellent) "how-to" type books about labor and delivery that were recommended.

The book tells the story of Onnie Lee Logan, one of the last African American "granny" midwives, in her own words. Often villified by the white medical establish
Noelle M
Feb 09, 2014 Noelle M rated it really liked it
Wow! Katherine Clark transcribes the memoir in the midwife's own voice. The descriptions of places and people and events over the half century Mrs. Logan lived and worked is a you-are-there kind of experience. No apologies, no tear jerking sentimentality, no finger-pointing accusations. I like this ever so much better than Jackson Taylor's whiny Blue Orchard.
Momma
Oct 26, 2014 Momma rated it liked it
the first part is good, about her childhood. It is slow reading, or might be to someone that hear the language in their head. However as it gets to the middle, the "birthing" part it seems repeative, and doesn't really tell a story any more.

Worth a read, took me a day plus taking care of the kids, but not earth shattering.
Wendy Garrett
I purchased this book to read about a midwife and her stories in the poor rural South. After a 1/3 of the book, I still hasn't gotten to anything midwife related. There was a lot of the horribleness about the treatment of blacks in the South and if that had been the topic I was interested in, I would have given the book five stars. Either the book is mis-titled or the author takes too long to reach the point of the book. I gave up.
Olivia
Dec 29, 2014 Olivia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the memoir of a Southern, black midwife who worked in Alabama during the mid 1900s. It is very different from Jennifer Worth's memoir that inspired the popular TV show, Call the Midwife. This memoir focuses more on the struggles of being a black woman in the South during the civil rights era. It was heartbreaking and fascinating at the same time. It is written as if a recorded interview was being transcribed, so the dialect comes through VERY strong. It took a while to get used to readin ...more
MichelleMarie
Sep 08, 2007 MichelleMarie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: if you like reading the language of an old southerner talk about growing up in a family of 20
Shelves: notfinishing
I didn't finish this because it was a library book that was lost somehow and when my husband found it, it was over due....but it was really good actually!
Cara Hite
Cara Hite rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Seton Rae
Seton Rae rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Mary Ebersole
Mary Ebersole marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
anna
anna added it
Jan 20, 2016
Mercy Victoria
Mercy Victoria marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Tasasha
Tasasha marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Christina Mctiernan
Christina Mctiernan rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Ethel
Ethel marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Cindia S Witherow
Cindia S Witherow rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2015
Cateye
Cateye marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Stephany Peterson
Stephany Peterson marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
chris black
chris black rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Johanna
Johanna marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Katie Brohard
Katie Brohard rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Lisa Kinney
Lisa Kinney is currently reading it
Oct 09, 2015
Spring
Spring is currently reading it
Oct 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Listen to Me Good: The Story of an Alabama Midwife (Women & Health C&S Perspective)
  • Birth and Breastfeeding: Rediscovering the Needs of Women During Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Diary of a Midwife: The Power of Positive Childbearing
  • Arms Wide Open: A Midwife's Journey
  • Orlean Puckett: The Life of a Mountain Midwife
  • House Calls and Hitching Posts: Stories From Dr. Elton Lehman's Career Among The Amish
  • Labor of Love: A Midwife's Memoir
  • A Midwife's Story
  • Young Wives' Tales: New Adventures in Love and Partnership
  • Heartbeat of Struggle: The Revolutionary Life of Yuri Kochiyama
  • Maria Tallchief: America's Prima Ballerina
  • Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Work in Her Own Words
  • My Life with Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Heart and Hands: A Midwife's Guide to Pregnancy and Birth