Start by marking “A Barricade In Hell (Delia Martin, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Barricade In Hell (Delia Martin, #2)

A Barricade In Hell (Delia Martin #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Delia Martin has been gifted (or some would say cursed) with the ability to peer across to the other side. Since childhood, her constant companions have been ghosts. She used her powers and the help of those ghosts to defeat a twisted serial killer terrorizing her beloved San Francisco. Now it's 1917—the threshold of a modern age—and Delia lives a peaceful life with Police ...more
Published June 3rd 2014 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about A Barricade In Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Barricade In Hell

Anne
I feel like I'm being very generous by giving this 3 stars.
Then again, maybe historical paranormal mysteries just aren't my thing?
Don't get me wrong, this wasn't a chore to read, but it never really captured my attention.

First, let's start off with what I really liked about the story.,.
I loved Delia and Gabe's relationship. They are just such a rock solid couple, and there's a lot of mutual respect that runs both ways between them.
I also love the way Moyer describes the city of San Francisco in
Tabitha (Pabkins)
Nothing is creepier than a poltergeist child

Ok so maybe there are creepier things, but just imagine being haunted by a little girl who carries around this china doll and she’s got a whole lot of anger. A Barricade in Hell features one such little girl and I tell you – kids are scary enough as it is – but ghost children? youch. This time around Delia and Gabe have a new set of crimes to solve. Really Delia has her own things she’s trying to solve, why the ghost is haunting her and Gabe (mostly th
Melissa
I enjoyed the first book, Delia's Shadow, and I think that this book surpasses the first. While you could probably skip the first and dive into this book, I wouldn't suggest it. The first introduces you to these characters and besides you would miss a pretty great story. So, in this case, I would suggest that you read them in order.

The same kind of twisty ghost mystery is the plot of this book as well. We catch up with Delia a short time after the last book ended. We easily discover what has hap
Melliane
4.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

I was excited to discover this new novel by Jaime Lee Moyer and read more Delia Martin’s adventures. Then it must be said that the mix of ghosts, investigations in a different century, can only be a pleasure to read.

Delia is now married to Gabe, like his friend Jack and the two couples evolve over time. Jack now has a child while Delia has lost hers and tries to continue her life even if nothing is simple after such a tragedy. But Delia and Gabe deeply l
Laura Agnella
A Barricade in Hell by Jaime Lee Moyer is the sequel to the extremely popular Delia's Shadow. I often shy away from sequels to books I love but I dared pick this one up in the hopes that it was as engaging as the first.

Synopsis from Amazon:
Jan
4 1/2 stars. Delia and Gabe have settled into married life. Delia is working with Dora as an apprentice of sorts and has been working with helping spirits cross over. Suddenly there is an increase in ghostly activity that seems to center around Gabe. At the same time, a series of murders has drawn Gabe into a dangerous investigation. Delia is determined to protect him from the living and the dead.

This book was really good. I loved the first book but this one is a bit more focused. I really enjoy
Lora King
Second book in the series. While I love these books, I was a bit let down at the end.....kept me reading, answered the questions...but just barely. I felt like more could have been written to close out the story. Delia is running around with Dora (psychic) and learning how to use her ability to see ghosts in more ways. People are disappearing and dying and their souls seem to be gone. Delia, her husband Det. Gabe & Det. Jack and Dora team up to figure out what's happening. Some new character ...more
Annette
The beloved characters in Delia's Shadow appear again in A Barricade in Hell and they just keep getting better.

This review is going to spoil Delia's Shadow so if you haven't read that one, proceed with caution. Or just go get it and read it.

Delia is now married to Gabe. She continues to see ghosts, and Gabe is a Captain on the police force. We are still in San Francisco in 1917, about to go to war in Europe. Jack is still Gabe's partner.

The setting and time of A Barricade in Hell add much to the
William Bentrim
Ghosts, Cops and Spies, OH MY! Set in 1916 San Francisco

This book is set in San Francisco in 1916 time frame, shortly before the US entered WW1. A evangelical peace protestor is involved in occult occurrences and possibly serial murders. Super natural aspects impact the police investigation which is impacted by ghosts.

Isadora Bobet and Delia Martin return as the resident ghost busters while Captain Gabe and Lt. Jack are the law enforcement personnel of choice. The plot includes Chinese Tongs, s
Beth Cato
I've been reading a lot of science fiction lately and am experiencing mild burn-out. I looked at my bookshelf and knew I wanted something historical and cozy. I reached for A Barricade in Hell, which came out earlier in the month.

The title refers to the Great War, which is lurking in the background of this novel set in 1917 San Francisco. The way the war is handled is just beautiful. The United States isn't even officially in the war yet--and might not be--but evidence of the war is everywhere.
Heidi
Four and a half stars: A successful sequel that is even more thrilling and dangerous.

Delia and Gabe have settled into married life, when something sinister arrives in San Francisco. It all starts with a strange, sacrificial type murder in the back of a drug store. Gabe and Jack tread carefully, knowing all to well the danger that ghosts and the paranormal can bring upon them. Their investigation takes them into the heart of Chinatown, where they learn a similar murder occurred. Meanwhile, Delia
Tari
I found this second entry in the Delia Martin series to be very well written and engaging, until the last twenty to thirty pages. At that point, my disappointment was almost overwhelming. In my opinion, the author should have been much more descriptive with the ending. Instead, the story just came to a screeching halt, after the fact.

When I got to page 330, and ran across this phrase: "A Portuguese coronel," I just totally flipped out. Yes, my anal nature button got pushed, big time. I am assum
Jessica Strider
Pros: interesting characters, interesting setting, intricate plot

Cons:

It’s 1917 and though San Francisco’s far from the war in Europe, the war’s affects are felt there. Delia’s become Isadora’s apprentice in dealing with ghosts in order to help with her ‘gift’ of seeing them. But her schooling’s tried by the ghost of a young girl that has started haunting her, which doesn’t seem bound by the normal rules and can’t be banished. Meanwhile, Captain Gabe Ryan and his partner Jack Fitzgerald start in
I adored the amount of supernatural and mystery in this follow-up to Delia's Shadow. The author seemed to have upped the ante with what the ghosts can do in the physical world and the impact they have on Delia's life. Her tutorship under Dora seems to have honed her skills at communicating with and guarding against the spirits in her life (when they're actually dead spirits, though!). The author has delved more into the mythology of spirits and I adored every bit.

The mystery stuff was definitely
Owlcat Mountain
(Description nicked from B&N.com.)

“In Jaime Lee Moyer's Barricade in Hell, Delia Martin has been gifted (or some would say cursed) with the ability to peer across to the other side. Since childhood, her constant companions have been ghosts. She used her powers and the help of those ghosts to defeat a twisted serial killer terrorizing her beloved San Francisco. Now it's 1917—the threshold of a modern age—and Delia lives a peaceful life with Police Captain Gabe Ryan.

That peace shatters when a
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
*Review to come*
Angie at Disquietus Reads
Originally posted at Disquietus Reads

Jaime Lee Moyer’s sequel to Delia’s Shadow is happily even more enjoyable than it’s predecessor. Returning to this world and these characters was just like visiting old friends. The mystery at the heart of the story was even creepier and more intriguing (child poltergeist? NO THANK YOU HARD PASS RUN AWAY WHILE YOU CAN) and the writing showed definitive improvement.

Moyer’s writing has a quiet, steady beauty that greatly appeals to me. In A Barricade in Hell sh
Melanie
picked this one up at the library, but didn't realize it was the second of a series. I suspect the 2 novels' stories are self contained enough that it's not a huge deal that I hadn't read the first one, but I enjoyed this one so much I'll probably go back and read the first anyway. The main characters of the series are a married couple during the first world war. he's a cop, she sees ghosts, and together they solve mysteries. sounds goofy, I know, but the writing absolutely makes it.
Kimba
Last year I was impressed with Delia's Shadow the first book in the Delia Martin series by Jamie Lee Moyer. I was captivated by its 1917 San Francisco setting, paranormal mystery and fleshed out characters. A Barricade in Hell delivered an intense paranormal mystery with dark elements and charismatic characters that quickly drew me back into this world.

A Barricade in Hell was a strong second book, and since the primary romance was established in the previous novel, allowed Moyer to notched up th
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* Historical, Paranormal
*Rating* 4.0

*My Thoughts*

A Barricade In Hell takes place approximately 2 years after the end of Delia's Shadow. The story combines murder, mystery, and paranormal aspects all in the historical setting of 1917 San Francisco. The story follows both Delia and her husband Gabe as they each face one of their more difficult challenges yet.

From the ritualistic murder of a police commissioners son-in-law, to the streets of Chinatown where a similar killing of a father and d
This one was a hard one for me to rate, and right up to the final few chapters it was a solid four stars. The main element that frustrated me is that too much of the final action happened outside the view of the two point-of-view characters, so there were some major events that occurred entirely off-stage. I think that robbed an otherwise excellent and enjoyable story of its power--especially given how great those characters and their conflicts are overall. That said, I hope there are more stori ...more
Katey
Had I realized this was the second book in a series, I wouldn't have started it without reading the first. The characters were interesting, though I found it weird that though chapters varied by focal character, there was only one character speaking in first person.

I won't rush out and devour other books in this series or by this author, but I wouldn't shy away from them either.
Dorie
As much as I loved the first book, I made it about half way through this one and just have to set it aside. The story so far was almost all about ghosts and hauntings. There is no interest in or development to the actual characters. Not much in the way of plot either.
Cris
Although it's not in the Young Adult section of my library, I think it would be a good read for young adults.

I'd suggest starting with the first book in the series, Delia's Shadow. If you enjoyed Delia's Shadow you'll probably enjoy A Barricade in Hell.

I have some problems with A Barricade in Hell. The pacing's a little off. The buildup is great, but the climax is anti-climatic and largely happens off-stage. And there's a touch of deus ex machina to the resolution of Delia and Gabe's problem. St
Kris
The first book in this series "Delia's Shadow" was OK and not very well fleshed out in my opinion. I did like this one better. I appreciated the plot and the pacing in this installment much better. At least I liked this one well enough to keep up with the series in the future.
Diana Francis
This book is so flipping good. I loved Delia's Shadow and I can't believe I love Barricade in Hell more. Doesn't seem possible. So well written and such a good story. Love love love.
Stacee
This book was deliciously creepier than the first one was and I loved every page.

While it was great to see Gabe, Delia and Dee again, there's a few new characters who I hope we'll see around in book 3. Gabe and Delia are married and they're adorable together. I absolutely enjoy the support they show each other. The dynamic of Gabe's logic and Delia's spiritual ability is fascinating to read. Throw in Dora's feistiness and it's pure entertainment.

All in all, it was a captivating second book tha
Justine
1.5 stars. Left me wanting more, but not in a good way.
Allison
scary but not too scary
  • Supernatural Born Killers (Pepper Martin #9)
  • The Seat of Magic (The Golden City, #2)
  • Sparrow Hill Road (Ghost Stories, #1)
  • Silverblind (Ironskin #3)
  • Silver Mirrors (Apparatus Infernum, #2)
  • Imperial Scandal (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #5)
  • Valour and Vanity (Glamourist Histories, #4)
  • A Taste Fur Murder (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #1)
  • Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)
  • From the Charred Remains (Lucy Campion Mysteries, #2)
  • The Witch Hunter's Tale (Midwife Mysteries, #3)
  • The Weight of Souls
  • Born of Deception (Born of Illusion, #2)
  • Elisha Barber (The Dark Apostle, #1)
  • A Question of Death: An Illustrated Phryne Fisher Treasury
  • Storms of Lazarus (Shadows of Asphodel, #2)
  • Seven Ways to Die: A Novel
Jaime Lee Moyer lives in San Antonio, land of cactus, cowboys, and rhinestones. She writes books about murder, betrayal, friendship, magic and kissing. Her cats approve of all of this, including the kissing.

Her first novel, DELIA'S SHADOW, was published by Tor Books on September 17, 2013. The second Gabe and Delia book, A BARRICADE IN HELL, comes out June 3, 2014 and AGAINST A BRIGHTENING SKY, wil
More about Jaime Lee Moyer...
Delia's Shadow (Delia Martin, #1) The 2010 Rhysling Anthology A Barricade in Hell Against a Brightening Sky The 2011 Rhysling Anthology