Start by marking “Betrayer: Blood for the Blood God. Aaron Dembski-Bowden” as Want to Read:
Betrayer: Blood for the Blood God. Aaron Dembski-Bowden

Betrayer: Blood for the Blood God. Aaron Dembski-Bowden (The Horus Heresy #24)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  621 ratings  ·  68 reviews
The Shadow Crusade has begun. While the Ultramarines reel from Kor Phaeron's surprise attack on Calth, Lorgar leads the rest of the Word Bearers deep into the realm of Ultramar. Their unlikely allies, Angron and the World Eaters, seem blind to the true goals of the mission, preferring instead to ravage each new civilisation they come across.
Published March 1st 2013 by Black Library (first published December 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Betrayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayer

John Rhodes
Aaron Dembski-Bowden hit it out of the park when he wrote this book. The characters were all amazingly fleshed out and you "love" each and every one of them. Par Erebus. That guys a jerk! I cant wait to read his next novel!
Alex Leong
1. This book continues to uphold my belief that Aaron Dembski-Bowden is one of Black Library's best writers. It's a well-written sequel to The First Heretic, and I think it did great justice to the Word Bearer and World Eater Legions. You get a good look at the mind of the Primarch Angron from the perspective of his First Captain, Kharn. Lorgar Aurelian and his Legion also got a lot of airtime in this novel and with two Primarchs taking to the battlefield, the battle sequences were nothing short ...more
Keamy Loken
*WARNING THIS CONTAINS MILD SPOILERS*

My hear is broken. THANKS AGAIN WARHAMMER 40K FOR TAKING MY HEART AND RIPPING IT TO SHREDS. I read this book in under 24 hours and a day later I still get chest pain from how much it hurt me.

*Rant ended*

Once again my dear friends, well the rest of the girls where out watching "The Host" I was reading the "Betrayer".

Gawd, how do I even talk about this?

Well Lorgar and Angron are going on a big boy trip through Ultramars 500 billion worlds or something like that
Callum Shephard
Following on from Butcher’s Nails and the events of Know No Fear, Betrayer is a novel exploring the war in Ultramar. Focusing the roles played by both Lorgar and Angron in crippling worlds who might come to the Imperium’s defence and the aftermath of their failure at Calth. However this defeat is not the greatest concern of the Word Bearers primarch. Angron is visibly becoming less stable by the day as the mental implants continue to drag his tortured into a perpetual blood frenzy. Worse still i ...more
David Earle
Possibly the darkest, most tragic book in the series yet. And that is saying something.
Aleksi
Blood... FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
Daniel McGill
Betrayer is one of the best in the series so far, it uses the previously successful formula of exploring the origins and motivations of a Primarch and the relationship between him and his legion during a defining period in the Heresy and no one needed that treatment more than the often one dimensional Angron and the World Eaters. That exploration started in After Desh’ea and Lord of the Red Sands is well fleshed out here.

Lorgar and the survivors of First Heretic continue their development from t
Andrew Ziegler
Patt
K.Z. Freeman
It's been a while since last a read a bit of Warhammer 40k madness -- and madness it is.

It has been like this from the start when penned by masters such as Dan Abnett and Graham McNeill, and now Aaaron Dembski-Bowden! The rest of the crew are quite awesome as well, but these three are their liege lord kings and Aaron is the usurper dethroning all with his most recent and fairly heretical instalment.
I first suspected what he was up to as soon as I read The First Heretic -- which was to climb on t
Conor
I never know how to start reviews.
I enjoyed this book for a few reasons. It was a slow start; I was sceptical about whether it’s in fact possible to enjoy a book about space marines. This is set in the 31st Millennium, during the Horus Heresy, and depicts the descent of the 12th and 17th legions of the original space marines into, well, heresy and corruption. And this is the book’s biggest strength, the way it depicts this ‘fall from grace’, leaving us at the end with an image of Angron, primar
Michael Alexander Henke
Aaron Dembski-Bowden is quickly becoming one of my favorite Black Library Authors, and Betrayer is one of the best Horus Heresy books so far. After 8+ years and 25+ books in the series, it's stories like this that keep me excited and invested.
Betrayer links to two other novels in the series very closely, The First Heretic, also by Dembski - Bowden, and Know No Fear by Dan Abnett. Betrayer follows the Word Bearers and World Eaters as they cut a path of destruction through the 500 worlds of the Ul
Mario Polytaridis
Aaron Dembski-Bowden is quickly establishing himself as one of the best authors in the lineup. His novels on chaos have proven to have all the magic ingredients: multi-dimensional characters, epic scenes, unexpected plot twists, intrique and mystery, imagery and more.

Like his nightlords series, this is another one that is not to be missed.
Dave Kirlin
I'd almost rank this as best of the Horus Heresy series so far. Aaron really brings forth the Primogens human side, showing them as characters instead of the god-like beings they're normally portrayed as. Angron's backstory is amazing, and shows sides to him that has never really been captured before.
Michael
Epic! Lorgar has really come a long way from the whining bitch in previous books and finally Angron gets some decent airtime! You really get a sense of the tragedy of the man and of his legion. Erebus doesn't disappoint as the series' character you love to hate and there's a cool cameo at the end ;)
Darrel Altmann
Fantastic!! This book is my #1 pick in the series to date. ADB did an awesome job at developing Angron and the World Eaters beyond the bloodthirsty savages they have been portrayed in the past. I personally came away feeling compassion for Angron. Well done ADB.
Stefan
A good follow up to The First Heretic and another good addition to the HH.

Lorgar, Angron and the World Eaters really are fleshed out and their actions are made credible and I even found myself sympathise with Angron and the World Eaters at certain points.
Tepintzin
Aaron Dembski-Bowden does it again by making Chaos Space Marines understandable. I'm still loyal to the Emperor, but Angron, Lorgar and Argel Tal have all been (dare I say it) humanized through Aaron's efforts.
Mark
Wow it was quite a feat making me feel compassion and understanding for the World eaters, Word Bearers and their Primarchs
James
Poor Kharn. Poor Angron.

I wonder if he will ever get to ask the Emperor...why?
Christopher Gill
Excellent book, really portrays the characters well.
Dylan Murphy
Hot damn that was a good book!

I'm a traitor lover at heart when it comes to 40K, and getting to see Lorgar and his Word Bearer's story continue, as well as a much more in-depth look at Angron, the World Eaters(not HIS World Eaters), and the Warhounds was awesome. ADB did a really fantastic job with this one, making this the 6th five star review for his work(out of 7 titles).
Angron and the World Eaters/War Hounds were amazing, and seeing their thoughts, when they aren't lost to the Nails, was aw
Crispin
Well what can i say about this book. First off let me say i a big ADB fan... he is on my stalk list. If Dan Abnett likes him that's good enough for me ;) Seriously though he is on my "Read all the books he writes" list. So it is safe to say i like ADB.

That said, I'm not sure what went on when this was written but I'm guessing he had problems as its not that good to be honest. He pulls it together at the end... and i was left thinking OK it's not great but it's OK. Which is a gulf from his other
Emil Söderman
Aaron-Dembski-Bowden (and this is probably the last time I'll write his name) builds on what he wrote earlier in The First Heretic and "After Deshae" in this book, focusing mainly on the Word Bearers and World Eaters (and the fact that both of these legions starts with "Wor" makes them damnably easy to mix up in the running text) legions as they... Basically run around and do stuff. Honestly, it's mostly elaborated flashback sequences and people talking, interspersed with rather pointless (altho ...more
Danny
Great read that adds the depth of character to characters that have been considered flat or one dimensional for so long. The overall theme of the Horus Heresy series of books is about the end of the great crusade and mankind's decent into the darkness that will claim its soul for the next ten thousand years. This book manages to capture that theme in a unique way, I felt. For just as you learn to appreciate the new depth these characters have, it is stolen away, and they become who they were alw ...more
G. Tyler
This book was absolutely amazing, turning the World Eaters traitor legion from one of the least interesting to what might be my most favorite legions in all of 40k. Aaron paints Angron and the world eaters as such sympathetic characters, hated by all their brithers and used by their allies as shock troops at best and chattel fodder at worst and yet he manages to still make them warriors to the end, men who's lifes goal is to stick it to everyone that seeks to pound them into the dirt. In the end ...more
Harald
I have read some 70 Warhammer novels to this day. Up until I finished this book, Dan Abnett has held the throne of the Warhammer authors, reigning supreme. James Swallow and Graham McNeill and William King are all strong contenders, but they have all been beaten now, by Aaron Dembski-Bowden - a new ruler has ascended the throne!

Mr. Dembski-Bowden's writing brings a whole new level of depth and color and mood to the Warhammer universe. No longer is it depicted in the black & white I am so use
Reggie Schildmeijer
[Spoilers incoming]

Over the year I've grown accustomed to the many different writers working on the Horus Heresy, and when many writers combine there are some which ascend to favourite writers. Aaron Dembski-Bowden already showed me the why of Lorgar in The First Heretic and Aurelian, giving insight on one of my least favourite primarchs and Legions, the Word Bearers. Zealous as they were I began to understand why they became who they were, even if I did not disagree. With Betrayer, Aaron Dembsk
  • Angel Exterminatus
  • Scars
  • Galaxy in Flames
  • Fallen Angels
The First Heretic Soul Hunter Helsreach Blood Reaver Void Stalker

“Keeda had survived the death of her Titan, murdered by a Lysander Reaver in black and white that killed them without looking twice. She survived the wracking pain of severance from the Syrgalah's great-hearted machine spirit - a soul she adored and would willingly died to defend. She'd pulled her mutilated colleague free from imminent death and bidden her dead mentor farewell. She'd even fired hopelessly a soldier sworn to kill her, who she knew she could never have harmed.

But she only started screaming when a demon embraced and said he'd come to save her life.”
3 likes
“Keeda har survived the death of her Titan, murdered by a Lysander Reaver in black and white that killed them without looking twice. She survived the wracking pain of severance from the Syrgalah's great-hearted machine spirit - a soul she adored and would willingly died to defend. She'd pulled her mutilated colleague free from imminent death and bidden her dead mentor farewell. She'd even fired hopelessly a soldier sworn to kill her, who she knew she could never have harmed.

But she only started screaminghwhen a demon embraced and said he'd come to save her life.”
0 likes