Start by marking “The Cross and the Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Cross and the Dragon

Read Book* *Different edition

The Cross and the Dragon

Francia, 778, the tenth year of Charlemagne’s reign: Alda has never forgotten Ganelon's vow of vengeance when she married his rival, Hruodland. Yet the jilted suitor’s malice is nothing compared to Alda’s premonition of disaster for her beloved, battle-scarred husband.

Although the army invading Hispania is the largest ever and King Charles has never lost a war, Alda cannot
Published February 12th 2013 by Cortero Publishing (first published July 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Cross and the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cross and the Dragon

D.M. Denton
Apr 28, 2013 D.M. Denton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A trip to Germany, a story about castle ruins and an eleventh century French epic planted the seeds that grew into this heroic but very human tale about political maneuvering, love, honor, betrayal and courage. Set amidst castles, priories, the countryside and battlefields of France, Germany and Spain in the time of Charlemagne, this well-researched-and-structured work is an interesting and affecting read.

Ms. Rendfeld’s fascination with legends and fairy tales shines through. Essentially a love
DelSheree
Feb 23, 2013 DelSheree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arranged marriages are a way of life in 8th century France. Alda knows this, but the thought of marrying the abusive and hateful Ganelon puts thoughts of joining a convent into her head. Serious thoughts. The only chance of escape seems wrapped up in Hruodland, the only one to show her respect and kindness. Plans begin to form in her mind to escape Ganelon and capture the attention of Hruodland, but this will put her on a path she never expected; one of love, pain, and difficult choices that may ...more
Lucy
May 03, 2013 Lucy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
MY REVIEW:

The Cross and the Dragon by Kim Rendfeld flourished from The Song of Roland (11th c.) This beautiful poem and remarkably, the oldest piece of literature in France, was based on a hero during the battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778. History buffs will delight in this novel that brings back the chivalry, honor and love in the time of Charlemagne. The details of everyday life, battles and more are remarkably captured in its true authenticity.

Alda, our bold heroine of the 8th c. is nearly for
Tinney
Aug 20, 2012 Tinney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Alda, Kim Rendfeld has created a woman who seems genuinely to be of her time, rather than the refugees from the 21st century one often sees populating historical fiction. Alda is intelligent and independent, but shares in the beliefs and prejudices of her culture.

This well-researched novel is filled with rich, evocative descriptions of the natural environment, and the author shows a particular sensitivity to both sound and silence. The reader will come away having learned a great deal about
The Lit Bitch
Jan 06, 2013 The Lit Bitch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An original story based on legend and set in a unique period.This book really intrigued me when I read the summary. There aren’t many historical fiction novels set in this era…some or the most popular eras are Regency, Tudor, Victorian, WWII etc. So seeing a novel set in the time of Charlemagne, really perked my interest!

I thought the setting/period brought a lot of interest to the story for me. Rendfeld clearly did her research on the time period and I thought it was exciting to read about the
Erin Al-Mehairi
Feb 20, 2013 Erin Al-Mehairi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading The Cross and the Dragon, a debut historical novel by author Kim Rendfeld. She quite amazingly takes the legend and the poem, Song of Roland, and crafts it into her own romantic tale with her own original outcome. Not only is her book phenomenally researched, it also shows a tremendous amount of thought and creativity, not to mention storytelling ability. Though there is much historical detail, the reader is never impeded by it and her tale is smoothly weaved with a flow ...more
Brandee Price
Aug 15, 2013 Brandee Price rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The mark of good historical fiction, in my opinion anyway, is the detail. Ms. Rendfeld paid particular attention to detail in The Cross and the Dragon. The result is an epic tale of a warrior and his wife during the medieval ages when Charlemagne ruled.

In The Cross and the Dragon, Ms. Rendfeld took a legend and built a story around it using all the historical detail of the time. There are the politics in the court of King Charles (Charlemagne), battles among the Frankish, the Saxons, the Bretons
Lisa Yarde
Dec 13, 2012 Lisa Yarde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Kim Rendfeld’s debut novel, set in eighth-century Europe, the heroine Alda faces a dilemma common to many marriageable heiress of the Middle Ages: submission to a husband chosen for her by others. Alda is a spitfire with a sharp wit and keen intelligence to match her spirited personality. She relies on an inherent strength and a charmed dragon amulet to fortify herself against the proposed husband, the ruthless Count Ganelon, and protect Hruodland, the proud Breton warrior who has likewise cl ...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair
The Cross and the Dragon is a retelling of the legend of Roland, who is called Hruodland in this story (it's his Frankish name). I was not familiar with this legend at all before I picked up this book. This story is really the love story between Hruodland and Alda. In the 700s, these two are irrevocably attracted to each other. Thus begins a lifelong love that will sustain both Alda and Hruodland through distance and a whole host of other issues. These are two people torn apart by the circumstan ...more
Emma
Today, July 11th, Western Christians, and most especially monks and nuns, Benedictines, Cistercians, Trappists, and more, celebrate Saint Benedict, who wrote a Rule for monks and nuns in the 6th century.

I’m glad to join the festivities my own way, by writing this review and introducing you to The Cross And The Dragon, a great historical novel where you will indeed meet some Benedictine sisters – I will let it vague here, for fear of including spoilers.
The story is set a bit later, at the end of
Casee Marie
Aug 18, 2012 Casee Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2012
My full review on Literary Inklings.

Inspired by a medieval legend of the historic Roland – known here by his native Frankish name, Hruodland – Kim Rendfeld’s The Cross and the Dragon offers a new imagining of his world, one drawn through the creative possibilities of fiction. Alda takes the majority of the story’s focus, and it’s through her world that the reader comes to know Hruodland; their love story plays a leading role in the novel, with the vast historic elements of 778 presenting a strik
Aimee
Feb 03, 2013 Aimee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I had heard of The Song of Roland but had never read it so I was excited to read this book. I love books that are variations of older tales and this one was an enjoyable read. What I liked about it the most was the amount of historical details that were a part of the story. It was one of those books that made you feel like you where there with the characters because of the little details that brought the story to life.

The main focus of the book is the love story between Aldo and Hroudland and I
Jessica Knauss
Jul 11, 2012 Jessica Knauss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edited
The Cross and the Dragon is the story of Alda, wife of Hruodland, the Roland of medieval epic poetry. Rather than focus on the epic battle at Roncevaux, the book allows the reader to see what life was like for the women who stayed behind while the men went off to war. The author brings incredible, historically accurate detail into the service of place and character, so even if you know nothing about the Middle Ages, this page-turner will be a painless learning experience.

(view spoiler)
Jo Barton
Dec 13, 2012 Jo Barton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The history of the Middle Ages in bound in folk lore and legend, and in The Cross and the Dragon, set during the martial reign of Charlemagne, the author Kim Rendfeld, takes the story of Alda, wife of the military leader, Hruodland, and blends together a story about the effects of war on the women who were left behind, and about the men who loved them.

With quite harsh realism the author has blended fact with fiction and has created a story which is rich in historical detail and alive with atmosp
Melysah Bunting
Oct 21, 2012 Melysah Bunting rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Cross and the Dragon by Kim Rendfeld is a historical romance novel set during the 700s. Alda is a strong-willed young woman who is set to marry a tyrant. Ganelon is furious when Alda announces that she will only marry his archenemy, Hruodland. Ganelon curses the happy couple and seeks his vengeance by killing. Will Ganelon claim Alada as his own?

This book reminds me of a Nathaniel Hawthorne quote, “Easy reading is damn hard writing.”

The amount of research coupled with the ability to string
Sandi Layne
With its apparent foundation in the Chauson de Roland, this novel is action-packed and - at times - frustrating.

The historical detail is rich and vivid. I very much enjoyed the details woven in the story. The hero, Hruodland, is very much a man of his time but still he has the heart to marry outside of royal (or semi-royal) arrangement because another girl appeals to him.

This girl is Alda, who wishes to wed him as well and is quite bold in her efforts to move things along. Though headstrong and
S.K. Keogh
Jul 05, 2015 S.K. Keogh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author strikes a pleasing balance in this story between plot, character, and history, something that is very important to me as a reader of historical fiction. She takes us on a journey back in time where an unconventional young woman does not try to hide who she really is. We care for the heroine and read eagerly onward to find out if she finds happiness and love in the end. I look forward to reading more from Ms. Rendfeld.
Kathleen
Mar 13, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
A very readable book about an era new to me. I recommend it and will look for more about Charlemagne.
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2017
DeniseF
DeniseF rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Julie Rose
Julie Rose rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
S.K. Keogh
S.K. Keogh rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2015
Alisa
Alisa rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Christine Antosca
Christine Antosca rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2016
Randy
Randy rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
Elizabeth Luft
Elizabeth Luft rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2012
Linda Ulleseit
Linda Ulleseit rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2013
Eva
Eva rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Kim Rendfeld has a lifelong fascination with fairy tales and legends, which set her on her quest to write The Cross and the Dragon and The Ashes of Heaven's Pillar.

She grew up in New Jersey and attended Indiana University, where she earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism and English, with a minor in French. If it weren't for feminism, she would be one of those junior high English teachers scarin
More about Kim Rendfeld...