Blank-133x176
Leadership and the Art...

Steven Snyder

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Leadership is difficult--in our quest to teach leaders the secrets of success, we've somehow lost sight of this truth. Steven Snyder teaches leaders that leadership is a marathon, not a sprint; his book offers key strategies for navigating challenges.
Published February 8th 2013 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published February 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Leadership and the Art of Struggle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leadership and the Art of Struggle

Paula Kiger
In Leadership and the Art of Struggle, Steven Snyder combines examples of leadership struggles faced by leaders in many walks of life (big business, non-profit, politics) with exercises any of us can do to help clarify our path to reaching our own leadership aspirations. Woven throughout the combination of examples and exercises is a reminder of the beautiful utility of mindfulness, enabling anyone to "step off the treadmill of time."

Steven Snyder tells about a time in his life when he had made...more
Rebecca Henderson
Wow! What a great book ! I enjoyed Steven Snyder's Leadership and the Art of Struggle so much that I had to ration it out in readings, rather than just reading it in 2 or 3 readings, as I easily could have done. I love the in-depth and well-researched examples that the author provides in every chapter; most, if not all of the chapters have examples from multiple people that illustrate Snyder's points. I would consider this to be a scholarly work, but it's very easy to read - it wouldn't intimida...more
Shaun
I've read many books on the subject of leadership and this is one of the best I've read. It paints that leadership is a journey to understand your personal struggles and weaknesses, and learn to overcome them. There are exercises and stories shared here that make you think. They help you evaluate where you are today in your life and how to move forward in a positive direction. I plan to re-read this book and complete the exercises, as I just read them during this first reading. The author also s...more
Deborah Parker
This book captured powerful concepts of the words that leaders at times fear; struggle, challenge, adversity in an academically inspiring way. For these realities of life and leadership are the very things that once embraced can bring the greatest lessons and widespread success. Steven's use of examples blended the practical aspects of leadership for a variety of industries. The models were extremely useful and well presented.
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Leadership and the Art of Struggle: How Great Leaders Grow Through Challenge and Adversity by Steven Snyder was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2013.

THE SOUNDVIEW REVIEW:

Everyone enjoys a story that involves a hero who triumphs in the face of adversity. The problem for the majority of leaders is that they don’t want to play the starring role. The idea of letting others see leaders struggle is off-putting and considered the antithesis of the cap...more
Joseph Iliff
Steven Snyder's book provides great examples of how leaders grow through struggle. There were stories about leaders both known and unknown to me, who found ways to adapt to the tension of a new circumstance to become stronger and more resilient. I recommend this for anyone wanting a deeper understanding of leadership values being applied in the real world.
David Crowley
Of course we all know it's a good idea to learn from our mistakes. Easier said than done! This book does a good job of breaking down the process and mindset necessary for leaders to grow in response to the challenges with which we are confronted.
Barbara Lovejoy
This book was not quite what I expected, but it had some good ideas. I might want to read it again , putting aside my expectations of what I thought it was going to be.
Scott Wozniak
He had the chance to really be profound, but he didn't go there. This book mostly just described the obvious, first level of insight. It's things like identifying different "scripts" that leaders in a struggle use. But they don't go much deeper than 1) not listening, changing, and as the problem escalates, burning out - 2) making mistakes at first, but changing before it's too late... It's not wrong, but it isn't particularly insightful, either. For example, I'd love to have learned how to know...more
John
Leadership and The Art of Struggle is all about the leader’s struggle and even failure … and how we must experience and learn from our most challenging moments to grow toward effective leadership.

Works for me, especially the idea that a leader cannot avoid and should not ignore their struggles and failures … those times when things are not going well, when our actions do not produce the results we want … when we totally screw up and cannot hide the results.

Steven Snyder knows leadership at a ver...more
This book is more touchy-feely than one would expect of a "leadership " book. Snyder does an excellent job of pulling together a number of current theories/practices and applying them to the art of leadership in difficult situations. He incorporates work by Daiel Kahneman (Thinking, Fast and Slow), Carol Dweck's mindset theories, Gerlman's work on emothional intelligence, Bill George;'s "True North" groups, work on resilience and "mindfulness" and makes them all work togehter chesively - so that...more
Jim Johnson
It's always a read flag when the author directs you to their online store to buy their merchandise in the middle of their book. There was nothing terribly insightful in this book and the author touched on some sopics which are less than legitimate.
Natalie
I enjoyed this book because it was different then other leadership books as it talked about the struggle of leadership. The real-life examples were also a great addition.
h
h is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Doctor N
Doctor N marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Jeremy Wetherell
Jeremy Wetherell marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Definitelydennis
Definitelydennis marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
James Hill
James Hill marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Goodcents
Goodcents marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Toomas
Toomas marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Sean Perera
Sean Perera marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Peter Hollows
Peter Hollows is currently reading it
May 21, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Monyta
Monyta marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Steven Snyder, Ph.D., is the founder of the Snyder Leadership Group, an organizational consulting firm. An innovator in thought leadership, Snyder has developed the breakthrough concepts introduced in "Leadership and the Art of Struggle," based on years of leadership studies, intensive research, and data derived from extensive interviews with real-world executives from major corporations. He curre...more
More about Steven Snyder...