Start by marking “Remodelista” as Want to Read:
Remodelista

Remodelista

Remodelista.com is the go-to, undisputed authority for home design enthusiasts, remodelers, architects, and designers with disposable income. The antithesis to sites that cater to all tastes, Remodelista has a singular and clearly defined aesthetic: classic pieces trump designs that are trendy and transient, and well-edited spaces take precedence over cluttered environment ...more
Published November 5th 2013 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about Remodelista, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remodelista

Doug
Feb 07, 2014 Doug rated it did not like it
Hold on just a moment! Catch your breath and consider my opinion that runs contrary to most of those expressed about Remodelista. I am happy for those who feel so positively about this book. But, if there are a few people in this world who think like me, I want to give them another assessment to consider before they put money or time into this thing.

On the positive side, the photography by Matthew Williams is one of the few things that make this book more valuable than the BTU’s it could generat
Rebecca
Aug 31, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was ok
It was fun to look at the pictures, but it costs a lot of money to look this austere and industrial, when really I prefer cottage/bohemian/thrift store.
Ashley
Feb 16, 2014 Ashley rated it it was ok
There are some interesting ideas in the book (especially if you have a large disposable income). Let me sum it up for you: everything in your house should be white, banish anything plastic, and make sure all of your (Edison) light bulbs are exposed. Now you have a designer home!
Bekka
Jul 27, 2013 Bekka rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley.com and Artisan Publishers for early access to this title.

4 1/2 stars - This book is so much my style! I'm already in love with their website, and this book is a great companion and compilation of their best ideas. I loved the ideas presented, and how the chapters were organized. The double page spreads were nice as well. Following presentation of already decorated homes are great ideas for DIY projects and favorite items of the Remodelista team. There's an extensive list of
Megan
Feb 21, 2015 Megan rated it liked it
Eye candy. Thoroughly enjoyed paging through this book, even though many of the design elements were unattainable to me. The aesthetics and style is minimal, modern, and rustic. I feel this book can be enjoyed if viewed as an inspiration piece only, not a DIY manual because it's light on details. The index at the back is super helpful and something I will refer to for sourcing home goods and / or design elements in the future.
May 13, 2014 Sarah rated it did not like it
When a 300 square foot bedroom was referred to as small in the first chapter, I paused, but decided to keep going. But I couldn't get past the $200 doorknobs a few pages on. I just couldn't relate.

(I'm curious; does it get frustrating to only be allowed to own books with cream covers, or do these folks have secret hidden bookshelves where they keep the ones that don't fit with their color scheme?)
Lexi Wright
Jan 04, 2017 Lexi Wright rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, design
Remodelista.com was a favorite site of my publishing/ career/ design/ funtimes mentor, the inimitable writer and editor, Carol Sheehan.

I missed her a lot while paging through these classic spaces that don't take themselves too seriously. Think I'll buy this one.
Terri
Jul 21, 2015 Terri rated it it was amazing
If you love the look of Restoration Hardware but, for the love of God, wish there were just one more color besides griege in the photos, this is the book for you. I am a huge fan of RH but I do long for a little color, a little pop to make the statement; Julie Carlson adds that.

Her look is clean, cozily sparse, and yes, with just a splash of color; a bright yellow velvet chair in a sedate bedroom, a hot pink trim on the dining chairs, books lined up with colored dust jackets. bright salmon baroq
Emily
Jun 10, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
Did my husband and I laugh at the $200 drawer pull? Yes. Did I roll my eyes at the thought of stepping through a window to an outdoor shower (which, btw, should come with a warning: consuming alcohol before using this shower may result in broken appendages)? Yes.

Did love this book anyway. Yes. Even if I can't afford to copy the interiors of these homes (and who would want to eschew their personal taste in favor of copying someone else's?), and even if some of the designs are less than ideal for
Jan Polep
Dec 27, 2013 Jan Polep rated it really liked it
Since I'm not in the market to remodel a house, my idea was to glean unique ways to repurpose household items and other building materials in weird and wonderful ways. Wait til you see the shower on the outside deck accessed through a bathroom window, the concealed shower door, push button switches, the rolling ladders to access loft beds, leather handles on kitchen cabinets, and hallway doors that turn small spaces into closets inside bathrooms. Eat your Wheaties before attempting to read this ...more
Joyce
Jan 04, 2015 Joyce rated it really liked it
Shelves: house-decorating
Beautiful photos of rooms with a pared down aesthetic yet still has raw edges and personality. Love this quirky imperfection. Many vignettes could be reproducible in some form in my own home - a mix of wood and white with a glass cloche on top or a small picture and a collection of miniature vases above the sink. Even though the bones of my home are not as nice as those in the book I am still inspired by these photos to let my personality show through in my home.
Manintheboat
Jul 06, 2014 Manintheboat rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
This holds little value for a middle class person with a collection of blue octopus paintings....

The section on remodeling is laughable (I've remodeled much of my own home, by hand). In this book remodeling doesn't involve power tools or crying, just moving out and writing checks. The times when I've paid people for things I couldn't do (masonry); it still involved crying, power tools, and check writing.

It gets one extra star for the cute cat picture on the back.
Paula
Nov 06, 2013 Paula rated it liked it
Received as a copy from NetGalley.

I was impressed with the book. It wasn't your average coffee table book. The chapters were well laid out. Information was presented in a clear, concise manner. Pictures illustrated the text well and gave raise to new ideas on how to decorate my home. There was something for all types of tastes and styles as well as a list of resources on how to recreate the look. Definitely worth a look.
romney
Aug 06, 2014 romney rated it really liked it
A pretty supplement to the Redmodelista blog. Mostly it covers particular houses in detail, with a guide to doing up your own place and a list of their favourite products. Lovely to look at, though the houses become a bit samey by the end - off-white internal walls, off-black external paintwork + gorgeous natural materials. Very scandinavian, modern design. Somewhat minimalist. I'd like my house to look like this!
Hannah
Jan 30, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing
I love the designs in this book. They are beautiful and captivating. The spaces look elegant but inviting. The second half of the book has a collection of kitchen and bathroom ideas, followed by important tips for any quest in renovation. If you are embarking on a home improvement project, check this first.
D
Jan 05, 2015 D rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: absolute remodel novices looking for a most basic smattering of information
2 stars

a VERY brief paragraph listing of some of the basics of undertaking home remodel. the cursory advice and explanations will be necessary but not sufficient for the absolute beginner and will do next to nothing for folks looking for in-depth remodeling advice, inspiration, and direction.

i read the electronic copy, and there were, disappointingly, no photographs.

Nicholle
Dec 23, 2014 Nicholle rated it liked it
Shelves: design
Beautiful, well-curated, inspiring, but so unrealistic. I'm not sure if $200 doorknobs are ever a worthy investment. Also, it seemed like every feature was just a slightly different version of the same idea - white, minimal, Scandinavian, cold.
Heaether
Dec 18, 2013 Heaether rated it it was amazing
Wow this book was amazing - I kid you not, halfway through I got up and moved furniture and rearranged my dining room. Very inspiring and very unique!!!
update...I read the galley in October and now that it is published proper read it again this month. Awesome book!
Elese
Nov 16, 2014 Elese rated it really liked it
As far as home interior books go, this one is gorgeous to page through. It goes without saying that the people in this book are living lives very different from my own, full of spare white rooms, with effortlessly arranged esoteric collections.
Wendy
Jan 18, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fic
Lots of cool photos and good ideas, but it's really meant for rich people. In fact, I couldn't stop singing "If I had a million dollars" by the Barenaked Ladies the whole time I read it. Looked up a few of their favorite items, including some adorable linen tea towels that sell for $220. Wha...?!
Leanda
Feb 24, 2014 Leanda rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of the different interiors.

The remodeling how-to section at the back of the book looks like it would be very helpful. This section includes various remodeling tips like how to creation a realistic budget, where to splurge and where to save, etc.
Teresa
Dec 21, 2013 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Another book I had the opportunity to actually view in hardback as opposed to ebook. Beautiful photography and chock full of good ideas and websites to try. I went ahead and added it to my Wishlist since I do have a birthday coming up.
Mandy
Mar 15, 2014 Mandy rated it really liked it
4.5 actually. I had fun turning each page. (A wonderful break from Pinterest.com) Remodelista is beautiful and it will make you desire to redecorate. I would summarize it as antiques and ikea have a baby. Grandma's furniture not welcome.
BiblioBrandie
Nov 12, 2015 BiblioBrandie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2015
At 400+ pages, there are A LOT of ideas presented. Some a little too frou frou or expensive for me. Still had some good ideas, fun to look at.
Jan
Lots of lovely photos...but definitely out of my price range...lots of ideas "to steal"...as they offer those, too!
Melanie Mauer
Nov 04, 2014 Melanie Mauer rated it really liked it
one of my favorite interior books for sure - such a well curated grouping of homes and loved her resource section in the back
Laurie
Jun 23, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok
I made note of a few ideas and I like the book's concept, but it represented many design-styles disparate from my own.
Kelly
Jan 24, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
Oh my, I love this book. It's such an amazing resource. It contains excellent yet helpful information. The layout is easy to follow and the pictures are stunning.
Margie
Apr 08, 2014 Margie rated it it was amazing
Loved loved loved the homes in this book. Even if all the NY hipsters had crazy floors that weren't practical.
Catherine
Jun 08, 2014 Catherine rated it really liked it
Lots of redecorating (more than remodeling) ideas; so many, in fact, that it's overwhelming. Lots of sources to purchase unusual items are provided.
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Design*Sponge at Home
  • Bright Bazaar: Embracing Color for Make-You-Smile Style
  • Apartment Therapy presents real homes, real people, hundreds of real design solutions
  • Undecorate: The No-Rules Approach to Interior Design
  • Meet the Annas: A Musical Novel
  • The Everything Family Christmas Book: Stories, Songs, Recipes, Crafts, Traditions, and More
  • The Perfectly Imperfect Home: How to Decorate and Live Well
  • The Things That Matter
  • The Budapest House
  • Sarah Style
  • The New Bohemians: Cool and Collected Homes
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • Needle in a Haystack
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Handmade Living: A Fresh Take on Scandinavian Style
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
  • Sins of the Father
  • Scavenger Hunt (A Finny Aletter Mystery, Book 1)