Remodelista

Remodelista

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Remodelista.com is the go-to, undisputed authority for home design enthusiasts, remodelers, architects, and designers with disposable income. The antithesis to sites that cater to all tastes, Remodelista has a singular and clearly defined aesthetic: classic pieces trump designs that are trendy and transient, and well-edited spaces take precedence over cluttered environment...more
Published November 5th 2013 by Artisan

Doug
Hold on just a moment! Catch your breath and consider my opinion that runs contrary to most of those expressed about Remodelista. I am happy for those who feel so positively about this book. But, if there are a few people in this world who think like me, I want to give them another assessment to consider before they put money or time into this thing.

On the positive side, the photography by Matthew Williams is one of the few things that make this book more valuable than the BTU’s it could generat...more
Bekka
Thanks to Netgalley.com and Artisan Publishers for early access to this title.

4 1/2 stars - This book is so much my style! I'm already in love with their website, and this book is a great companion and compilation of their best ideas. I loved the ideas presented, and how the chapters were organized. The double page spreads were nice as well. Following presentation of already decorated homes are great ideas for DIY projects and favorite items of the Remodelista team. There's an extensive list of...more
Ashley
There are some interesting ideas in the book (especially if you have a large disposable income). Let me sum it up for you: everything in your house should be white, banish anything plastic, and make sure all of your (Edison) light bulbs are exposed. Now you have a designer home!
When a 300 square foot bedroom was referred to as small in the first chapter, I paused, but decided to keep going. But I couldn't get past the $200 doorknobs a few pages on. I just couldn't relate.

(I'm curious; does it get frustrating to only be allowed to own books with cream covers, or do these folks have secret hidden bookshelves where they keep the ones that don't fit with their color scheme?)
Manintheboat
This holds little value for a middle class person with a collection of blue octopus paintings....

The section on remodeling is laughable (I've remodeled much of my own home, by hand). In this book remodeling doesn't involve power tools or crying, just moving out and writing checks. The times when I've paid people for things I couldn't do (masonry); it still involved crying, power tools, and check writing.

It gets one extra star for the cute cat picture on the back.
Hannah
I love the designs in this book. They are beautiful and captivating. The spaces look elegant but inviting. The second half of the book has a collection of kitchen and bathroom ideas, followed by important tips for any quest in renovation. If you are embarking on a home improvement project, check this first.
Catherine
Lots of redecorating (more than remodeling) ideas; so many, in fact, that it's overwhelming. Lots of sources to purchase unusual items are provided.
Jan
Lots of lovely photos...but definitely out of my price range...lots of ideas "to steal"...as they offer those, too!
Laurie
I made note of a few ideas and I like the book's concept, but it represented many design-styles disparate from my own.
elizabeth
Stunning photography but a lot of the designs are cold/not my style. May revisit later.
Liz
Expected to see different ideas, but it was all stark white, minimalist homes
Kelly
Oh my, I love this book. It's such an amazing resource. It contains excellent yet helpful information. The layout is easy to follow and the pictures are stunning.
Jan Polep
Since I'm not in the market to remodel a house, my idea was to glean unique ways to repurpose household items and other building materials in weird and wonderful ways. Wait til you see the shower on the outside deck accessed through a bathroom window, the concealed shower door, push button switches, the rolling ladders to access loft beds, leather handles on kitchen cabinets, and hallway doors that turn small spaces into closets inside bathrooms. Eat your Wheaties before attempting to read this...more
Marianna
A very formulaic look.
Margie
Loved loved loved the homes in this book. Even if all the NY hipsters had crazy floors that weren't practical.
Paula
Received as a copy from NetGalley.

I was impressed with the book. It wasn't your average coffee table book. The chapters were well laid out. Information was presented in a clear, concise manner. Pictures illustrated the text well and gave raise to new ideas on how to decorate my home. There was something for all types of tastes and styles as well as a list of resources on how to recreate the look. Definitely worth a look.
Mandy
4.5 actually. I had fun turning each page. (A wonderful break from Pinterest.com) Remodelista is beautiful and it will make you desire to redecorate. I would summarize it as antiques and ikea have a baby. Grandma's furniture not welcome.
Mckinley
Ideas, and expensive ones at that.
Susan
This is THE Remodeling Bible.
Leanda
I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of the different interiors.

The remodeling how-to section at the back of the book looks like it would be very helpful. This section includes various remodeling tips like how to creation a realistic budget, where to splurge and where to save, etc.
Wendy
Lots of cool photos and good ideas, but it's really meant for rich people. In fact, I couldn't stop singing "If I had a million dollars" by the Barenaked Ladies the whole time I read it. Looked up a few of their favorite items, including some adorable linen tea towels that sell for $220. Wha...?!
Teresa
Another book I had the opportunity to actually view in hardback as opposed to ebook. Beautiful photography and chock full of good ideas and websites to try. I went ahead and added it to my Wishlist since I do have a birthday coming up.
Heaether
Wow this book was amazing - I kid you not, halfway through I got up and moved furniture and rearranged my dining room. Very inspiring and very unique!!!
update...I read the galley in October and now that it is published proper read it again this month. Awesome book!
Nenia Campbell
You can read more of my reviews, faster, at my blog, The Armchair Librarian.

Last month I read another interior decorating guide, called, Nell Hill's Rooms We Love , which I reviewed rather negatively (and one of my friends reblogged my review as Fun for Pyromaniacs).

This guide was much, much, much better.

Did I mention the much? And the better?

Of course, the houses pictured in this guide are already big and spacious to start so they aren't as in-need of decorating as, say, a small flat in a crowd...more
Trish
If you like the minimal look then this is a good book for you.
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Laura is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2014
Remodelista: The A-Z Guide to Remodeling Your Home: (A Remodelista Short) Uncle Tom's Cabin and the Abolitionist Movement Remodelista: A Guide to the 100 Most Beautiful, Useful Household Objects: (A Remodelista Short) Remodelista: The Ultimate Shopping Directory: (A Remodelista Short) Never Finished... Just Begun: A Narrative History of L.B. Sharp and Outdoor Education