The Kinfolk Table: Recipes for Small Gatherings

The Kinfolk Table: Recipes for Small Gatherings

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Kinfolk magazine—launched to great acclaim and instant buzz in 2011—is a quarterly journal about understated, unfussy entertaining. The journal has captured the imagination of readers nationwide, with content and an aesthetic that reflect a desire to go back to simpler times; to take a break from our busy lives; to build a community around a shared sensibility; and to fost...more
Published October 15th 2013 by Artisan

Danielle McClellan
Lovely book filled with lovely people casually draped in doorways. Many florists, photographers, designers, a few hairdressers--linen-clad elegant, serious creatures stylishly posing with one another and with food as the narrative explores their marvelous lives, their recipes, their joyous late-night meals with many close friends. This book's recurring theme is all about digging below the surface of things to spend time with friends and to communicate and share food. I get that high-minded conce...more
Katy
If Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbooks had a love child with an Urban Outfitters catalog, this is what their baby would look like.
D
Mar 18, 2014 D rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks who love quiet, grave, gray-cast days, white linen aprons, and lots of lentils
high 2 stars, flirting with a 3-star designation

a sometimes-sweet curiosity -- quiet, often grave, naturally lit photographs of the recipe contributors provide a very hipster-minus-the-sneer sensibility. i wish they'd shown more detail shots of the finished recipes (though i suspect the people and lifestyle were more important to the publication than the food itself.) there were plenty of Hands Holding Bowls of Homemade Yogurt, raw linens, and gray tones. one picture, of a couple standing cheerf...more
Bryan
The recipes in this book are pedestrian at best and wildly, flagrantly uninteresting at worst. The design here has the downtown Portland hipster crowd in mind, which, in and of itself, is not such a bad thing, but if you're looking for a dish with a unique flavor profile, look elsewhere. (There's a recipe for making coffee, folks. The ingredients? Ground coffee beans and hot water.) Moreover, the photography is so unrelentingly pretentious it leans toward irony. A noteworthy mention: two chefs h...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I received a review copy of this cookbook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Kinfolk Table comes from the folks (haha) at Kinfolk Magazine, a cozy, back-to-roots, folksy magazine that I might be tempted to label as unironic hipster. It reminds me of the aesthetic of the Quaker communities I went to college with, or even my own upbringing with everything homemade, nothing processed. Simple but beautiful living, focusing on getting people together.

The unique angle in this cookboo...more
I get that this book is first class snobbery. And I don't know that I'd ever buy it. Unless I had money to burn. And on top of that, it's mostly a recipe for making myself feel bad about my lack of style, cookery prowess and my dwelling.

That said, there were some simple recipe/lifestyle approaches that I really liked.

And it inspires the idea of hospitality which I think is completely underrated these days.

So, I guess that means I'm a Kinfolk groupie. Don't judge.
Chessa
I have never wanted to punch a cookbook in the teeth so much as I did this cookbook. Pretentious doesn't EVEN begin to cover it. Boring, pedestrian, precious...ugh, I need something to clean this off my brain. I've been wondering about the magazine Kinfolk, but after this introduction, I wonder no more. Hipsters who take themselves WA-HAY too seriously? No thanks, I'm good.
Ann
I didn't realize that the (kin)folks behind Portlandia had published a cookbook...
Molly Engle
I was intrigued by the subtitle (Recipes for small gatherings). Caveat: I'm a vegetarian. There was little offered for my dietary world view. There was only one recipe that I even thought in passing that I would like to copy--and now I can't remember what it was.
Lovely to look at; boring to read. Lifestyle vs. food--give me good food any day; I'm not sure any of this is "good" food as I didn't get a sense of good food (read sustainable, local) from this book. Just lovely photos and folks favori...more
Alyssa
Read: March 2014
Where It Came From: eARC from publisher via NetGalley*
Genre: Lifestyle-Manifesto-with-Recipes
Rating: 3 Shared Meals

This cookbook will always have the odd distinction of being the one where I opened it up to a random page while browsing and saw my cousin’s wedding photographer staring right back at me. Weird coincidence, right? …I’m trying to come up with some way to connect this to the cookbook itself and what I thought of it, but am failing. Basically I just wanted to share that...more
Carrie
This weekend, I had the chance to read the most lovely book for review. The Kinfolk Table: Recipes for Small Gatherings is a book created by Nathan Williams, and like its sister publication, Kinfolk Magazine, this book is filled with gorgeous photography and stories of people from all walks of life.

Like Kinfolk Magazine, this book takes a less is more approach to life. Sharing dishes that people from all over the world are creating in their kitchens, this book is packed with recipes that are sim...more
Darren
This is a bit of a quirky, charming cookbook with various culinary profiles and bon-mots about entertaining. Yet it is not cliché-central or full of rather patronising advice. Far from it!

In essence Kinfolk magazine, a quarterly journal aimed at featuring understated, unfussy entertaining, has curated a series of recipes and portraits from 45 so-called tastemasters around the world. There is no specific rhyme or reason behind the choice of recipes, other than that they are favourites which are s...more
Donna Nincic
Do good food, good friends, good conversation and beautiful photography make me a horrible trendy hipster snob? If so, count me in. My best memories include simple meals where stories flow, adventures are shared and you start raiding the kitchen for more to make (and the bottle of limoncello) because you don't want it to end.
Noble Gill
The pictures are lovely, and the recipes (even the ones without pictures) sound appetizing; the wording is a bit... hipster... though so you have to wade through the soggy parts.
Dyvyna
The collected stories and pictures of the people are amazing, but I expected tehe book to be more content-reach where it concens recipes.
Sarah Goebel
a handful of good recipes for simple summer cooking. worth checking out from the library.
Tiffany Leigh
This book is beautiful in many ways. It looks lovely on a coffee table and is full of recipes/stories/entertaining ideas. The photographs are simple and tasteful- just like their gorgeous magazine. Nicely done, Kinfolk.
Catherine
Surprisingly, I liked the photos of people the best.
Dianar
Like the stories and food
Maureen
Some of the features in this book are truly interesting. The photography is beautiful, and some of the recipes look enticing. The aeropress recipe from Heart was a personal favorite of mine.

Despite these strengths, there are also some recipes in here that are truly out of balance, and some that are just absurd. There is literally a recipe in this cookbook for oatmeal with honey and peanut butter in it, and another for a fried egg with Sriracha on it. What the hell?

Worth looking through, certainl...more
Mingchao Lin
king of wenyi~
Kathryn
This is almost a coffee table book the photographs are so gorgeous. Nathan Williams has traveled and collected recipes from home cooks and shares wonderful pictures and recipes. Most of the recipes are nothing I would ever make but I thoroughly enjoyed turning the pages and savoring the content of this cookbook.
Jessica
This is a HUGE book filled with recipes and stories of people who just enjoy cooking with their friends and/or family. Most of the people are not professional cooks or chefs, but just everyday people who love to cook. There were a few recipes I hope to try, so overall I liked it.
Teresa
they have an ethereal aesthetic and they stuck to it. I ended up envying the people and their photogenic kitchens. the tone suits the visuals-the recipes are not introduced, the people are. once you focus on the recipes, you'll find elegant and interesting recipes that seem perfect for entertaining with some great international (Scandinavian) inclusions
Kym
I loved everything about this book. The people, the simple recipes and the photography. It was refreshing for the emphasis be on the company and not the food. Make no mistake, there was nothing wrong with the food!
Beverly
It was a nice book to flip through - definitely more of a coffee table book.
Robynn
A gorgeous book. A feast for the eyes with magnificent photos. Love the paper used, makes a fine sensation for the fingers as the pages turn. Interesting profiles of home cooks in a number of places on the globe. Luscious sounding recipes to read and select to try.
Becky
Beautiful photography-more personal to the author and friends than I would have liked-bio sketches of the recipe contributers. I expected it to be focused mostly on the food, recipes and serving. But still a beautiful book.
Jocelin
I felt the photography in this cookbook was more engaging than the actual recipes. The photography was simple sublime. This book would actually make a great coffee table book.
Vuk Trifkovic
One-part cookbook, two-parts hipster's version of "The Sartorialist". Yes, cliche-ridden, but quite a few good recipes and it's all just oh so beautifully produced.
  • The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen
  • What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits & Pieces
  • Pok Pok: Food and Stories from the Streets, Homes and Roadside Restaurants of Thailand
  • Home Made Winter
  • Chicken and Egg: A Memoir of Suburban Homesteading with 125 Recipes
  • The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
  • Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
  • Jerusalem: A Cookbook
  • Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week
  • The America's Test Kitchen: DIY Cookbook: Can It, Cure It, Churn It, Brew It
  • Vegetable Literacy: Cooking and Gardening with Twelve Families from the Edible Plant Kingdom
  • The Breakfast Book
  • Notes from the Larder: A Kitchen Diary with Recipes
Kinfolk Volume 8 Kinfolk Volume 11 Crushing The Microstakes It Service Management in SAP Solution Manager American Grease