Start by marking “One Good Dish” as Want to Read:
One Good Dish

One Good Dish

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  216 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
In this, his first non-menu cookbook, the New York Times food columnist offers 100 utterly delicious recipes that epitomize comfort food, Tanis-style. Individually or in combination, they make perfect little meals that are elemental and accessible, yettotally surprising—and there’s something to learn on every page. Among the chapter titles there’s “Bread Makes a Meal,” whi ...more
Published October 22nd 2013 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about One Good Dish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Good Dish

The Goldfinch by Donna TarttEleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanLife After Life by Kate AtkinsonHyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
NPR Best Books of 2013
48th out of 138 books — 97 voters
River Cottage Veg Every Day! by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallThree Good Things by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallThe River Cottage Year by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallGlobal Vegetarian Cooking by Troth WellsOlive Trees and Honey by Gil Marks
Kitchen essentials
27th out of 38 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Carol
If I rated this I would give it two stars = It was OK. But I'm not rating it, because it's most likely a fantastic cookbook. But not for me. Not for Peoria.

Quail eggs. Seaweed salad. Chrysanthemum Greens with Silken Tofu. Red Beet Salad. (<<--grated raw beets. Um, no thanks, I'm good.)

The pictures were lovely. Reading this on Kindle for PC was vastly better than on the Kindle itself. I don't think Kindle and Cookbook are compatible terms.

I kept reading to the end and was rewarded with th
Matt
Jan 18, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it
First and foremost, and experienced cook may not appreciate this book as it is quite simple. However, in the same breath, I would say that an experienced cook should appreciate this book.

The recipes are simple yet flavorful, focus on a few good ingredients, and are fairly fast to prepare.

A good cookbook doesn't need to be full of recipes that contain more than 15 ingredients, take hours to prepare, and items that need to be shipped from specialty markets across the continent.

My point is that th
Heidi Wiechert
Jan 26, 2016 Heidi Wiechert rated it liked it
I picked up One Good Dish hoping to find some simple dinner ideas and found it to be hilariously above my sophistication level. I'm certain that high class foodies would love this as it presents the recipes in such a simple, straight forward manner that I even considered if it would be possible to find fresh clams in my area. (The answer is no, in case you were wondering.) Someday, I may make the Cream Filled Dates (cut open a date, put cream inside) or Caipiroska (vodka flavored with sugar coat ...more
Jan 23, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
This is a beautiful book, with incredible photographs that make even garlic toast look luscious. The recipes are clear, and most use everyday ingredients. Anyone could make these, from a novice to a seasoned cook.

That being said, I'm not sure who this book is aimed at. The recipes aren't particularly family-friendly or quick, and I found the author's tone to be kind of stuffy. While anyone can appreciate good food, some of his notes on tea, etc were kind of out of place and fussy. Also, I find i
Andrea Paterson
Apr 17, 2014 Andrea Paterson rated it liked it
Shelves: food
Worth it just for the pictures. And some tasty recipes that use a refreshingly small number of ingredients. I made the garlic soup last night and was surprised by how good it was since it's basically just garlic, water, sage, salt, and pepper. I think, perhaps, that the pictures make these dishes look more delicious than they really are though. A+ for presentation, maybe a B for taste on some I'm guessing, but I haven't actually tried anything other than the soup, so I'm just guessing based on i ...more
Darren
Jan 14, 2014 Darren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
To paraphrase this book's title, if you only will buy "One Good Book" in the coming months…

Here is a rich indulgence of simplicity, authenticity and enjoyment. A basic concept: 100 different, enjoyable "utopian" recipes that can either stand alone or be combined into a larger meal. Attempting to make an ultimate dish whilst not necessarily requiring the skills of a Michelin-starred chef with a budget to match, this is something that anybody who loves good food cannot fail to enjoy.

Some of the re
Steph Myers
Apr 16, 2014 Steph Myers rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
My husband accidentally spilled olive oil on the library book (this one), so we own this now. It has turned out to be one of my favorite cookbooks. the Gruyere and Ham Bread Pudding is the BEST and so simple. In fact, this book keeps ingredients and technique to a minimum, but the results are wonderful. Even if you think you can't cook . . . this book will show you how easy it is to create something simple and elegant. And . . . great photography.
lisa
Dec 02, 2015 lisa rated it did not like it
The first recipe listed in this book is James Cagney Egg in a Hole, which I have never ever heard of in my life. I googled it thinking it was something that was a common thing, but could only find it referenced in mention of this book. Tanis never explains the reason for this ridiculous name, and I cannot figure out the reason for naming your basic, everyday eggs and toast after the Angels With Dirty Faces actor. Did he eat eggs and toast a lot? Was eggs and toast referenced in any of his movies ...more
Agostina
Jun 07, 2015 Agostina rated it liked it
Lo mejor del libro son las fotos, si bien las recetas son interesantes y relativamente sencillas; no son justamente lo que buscaba para nutrir mi menú semanal o de eventos. En todo el libro habré sacado 5 ideas. No obstante, es un buen compilado de recetas de varias nacionalidades.
Mary
Feb 10, 2014 Mary rated it it was ok
I have all Tanis' cookbooks and this was largely a disappointment. It's small on flavor and originality. Almost every dish in the book, I already have on my cookbook shelves. Didn't make me feel inspired or desire to go out and cook anything in it.
Alyssa
Nov 27, 2015 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookery, food-n-drink
I love this book. I should probably buy a copy of my own instead of continually checking it out from the library.
Allison Lynch
Aug 24, 2014 Allison Lynch rated it it was amazing
Loving this simple but gourmand cookbook -!have made the egg dish a 1/2 dozen times already to rave reviews.
Iris
Apr 10, 2014 Iris rated it it was amazing
easy recipes that stir the imagination of the beginner chef.
CJ
Apr 14, 2015 CJ rated it really liked it
More like how we really eat - one dish. I've tried several and they have been very good. One of my go-to cookbooks.
Jessica
Jan 15, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
This cookbook has beautiful photographs of the recipes! The recipes themselves are relatively simple yet unique and creative with lots of Asian and Middle Eastern influences. I haven't tried cooking anything from the book yet, but I hope that I can sometime soon!
Naomi
Aug 15, 2013 Naomi rated it liked it
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/19hDi9g

My opinion: First off, this book had BEAUTIFUL PICTURES! On that note, the book contained relatively simple recipes, but I would only eat a handful due to personal preference. Most had easily obtainable ingredients, such as mussels, anchovies, but probably not the most popular foods. Most recipes pretty ethnic (Middle Eastern or Asian). I would encourage a look at book sample at library, Amazon sample or brick/mortar bookstore.
Margaret
Jun 30, 2014 Margaret rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, 2014-challenge
Interesting cookbook with a number of very delicious looking things to cook.

Garnered a few tips, which always makes reading a cookbook worthwhile.

Though the book is worth spending time with it just for the beautiful photographs.
Robert Hudder
Nov 29, 2013 Robert Hudder rated it it was ok
Good solid dishes. I would recommend this for new cooks and people who aren't creative but want to have a few simple but good dishes for everyday. I am not buying this book because many of the recipes are mainly a collection of good ingredients cooked well. There is a fair breadth of different cultures represented. I have a lot of these recipes elsewhere and kind of cook this way already (look in the fridge and pantry, pop things together and see what happens)
Laureen
Jan 28, 2014 Laureen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking, non-fic
I am going to try a lot of things in here...
Lisa
I have read, but not made anything, from Tanis's new collection. I am eager to give several dishes a try. Based on visual impact, perfect amount of chat, level of appeal in the recipes and understandability of the instructions, I would off hand say One Good Dish is another 5 star cookbook for Tanis but I am reserving rating until I have sampled some of the dishes. The proof of the pudding...
Jane
Feb 26, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a very attractive book. I tried and liked:

-Cucumber spears with dill
-Breaded eggplant cutlets
-Swiss chard al forno
Ellen
Nov 21, 2013 Ellen rated it it was amazing
I loved this cookbook so much that not only did I download it I also bought a hard copy. Made the cold Chinese chicken. Great blend of flavors. Also made the green African sauce and Middle East red sauce. So many great and original combinations in all the recipes. Can't wait to try them all.
Ariadna73
Nov 05, 2014 Ariadna73 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Beautiful book about super-healthy and super-delicious food. My favorites are the breaded eggplants (already ate like a ton!) and the garbanzos: as the author says, after trying thdm, the only thing you want is more; and the sameapplies to this wonderful and beautiful book.
Mrs.
Dec 27, 2013 Mrs. rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Good, simple dishes, gorgeous photography,and Tanis's writing style make this a pleasant and inspiring book. If you're an experienced cook you won't see anything new here, but you may get inspired to search for the best ingredients and make your food presentation better!
Jen
Feb 08, 2014 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
I usually love his books, aesthetic and style, but this one seemed a little less useful and a little colder than his other work.
Tim
Dec 10, 2013 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
beautiful, extremely simple food. reminds me of ottolenghi books, but even simpler. most recipes have 4-6 ingredients, including salt and oil. some great pieces in here - long-cooked kale, charred endives with anchovy butter, polentina soup, and others.
Stephen Reading
Oct 17, 2014 Stephen Reading rated it did not like it
A surprisingly accurate self-assessment by the author for a cookbook with a hundred or so dishes.
Beka
Feb 18, 2014 Beka rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Great pictures of some simple, tasty recipes.
Amy
simple but sophisticated recipes
  • Flour, Too: Indispensable Recipes for the Cafe's Most Loved Sweets & Savories
  • The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes
  • Feast: Generous Vegetarian Meals for Any Eater and Every Appetite
  • Pok Pok: Food and Stories from the Streets, Homes and Roadside Restaurants of Thailand
  • Keepers: Two Home Cooks Share Their Tried-and-True Weeknight Recipes and the Secrets to Happiness in the Kitchen
  • The New Persian Kitchen
  • The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation
  • Tartine Book No. 3
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • The Slanted Door: Modern Vietnamese Food
  • Eat Your Vegetables: Bold Recipes for the Single Cook
  • The Art of Simple Food II: Recipes, Flavor, and Inspiration from the New Kitchen Garden
  • A Change of Appetite: Where Delicious Meets Healthy
  • The Lee Bros. Charleston Kitchen
  • Balaboosta
  • Baking Chez Moi: Recipes from My Paris Home to Your Home Anywhere
  • Olives, Lemons & Za'atar: Palestinian Home Cooking from Nazareth to New York
  • Bi-Rite Market's Eat Good Food: A Grocer's Guide to Shopping, Cooking & Creating Community Through Food