Start by marking “One Good Dish” as Want to Read:
One Good Dish

One Good Dish

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In this, his first non-menu cookbook, the New York Times food columnist offers 100 utterly delicious recipes that epitomize comfort food, Tanis-style. Individually or in combination, they make perfect little meals that are elemental and accessible, yettotally surprising—and there’s something to learn on every page. Among the chapter titles there’s “Bread Makes a Meal,” whi ...more
Published October 22nd 2013 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about One Good Dish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Good Dish

The Goldfinch by Donna TarttEleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanLife After Life by Kate AtkinsonHyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
NPR Best Books of 2013
47th out of 138 books — 94 voters
River Cottage Veg Every Day! by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallThree Good Things by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallThe River Cottage Year by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallGlobal Vegetarian Cooking by Troth WellsOlive Trees and Honey by Gil Marks
Kitchen essentials
27th out of 38 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

First and foremost, and experienced cook may not appreciate this book as it is quite simple. However, in the same breath, I would say that an experienced cook should appreciate this book.

The recipes are simple yet flavorful, focus on a few good ingredients, and are fairly fast to prepare.

A good cookbook doesn't need to be full of recipes that contain more than 15 ingredients, take hours to prepare, and items that need to be shipped from specialty markets across the continent.

My point is that th
This is a beautiful book, with incredible photographs that make even garlic toast look luscious. The recipes are clear, and most use everyday ingredients. Anyone could make these, from a novice to a seasoned cook.

That being said, I'm not sure who this book is aimed at. The recipes aren't particularly family-friendly or quick, and I found the author's tone to be kind of stuffy. While anyone can appreciate good food, some of his notes on tea, etc were kind of out of place and fussy. Also, I find i
Andrea Paterson
Worth it just for the pictures. And some tasty recipes that use a refreshingly small number of ingredients. I made the garlic soup last night and was surprised by how good it was since it's basically just garlic, water, sage, salt, and pepper. I think, perhaps, that the pictures make these dishes look more delicious than they really are though. A+ for presentation, maybe a B for taste on some I'm guessing, but I haven't actually tried anything other than the soup, so I'm just guessing based on i ...more
To paraphrase this book's title, if you only will buy "One Good Book" in the coming months…

Here is a rich indulgence of simplicity, authenticity and enjoyment. A basic concept: 100 different, enjoyable "utopian" recipes that can either stand alone or be combined into a larger meal. Attempting to make an ultimate dish whilst not necessarily requiring the skills of a Michelin-starred chef with a budget to match, this is something that anybody who loves good food cannot fail to enjoy.

Some of the re
Steph Myers
My husband accidentally spilled olive oil on the library book (this one), so we own this now. It has turned out to be one of my favorite cookbooks. the Gruyere and Ham Bread Pudding is the BEST and so simple. In fact, this book keeps ingredients and technique to a minimum, but the results are wonderful. Even if you think you can't cook . . . this book will show you how easy it is to create something simple and elegant. And . . . great photography.
Lo mejor del libro son las fotos, si bien las recetas son interesantes y relativamente sencillas; no son justamente lo que buscaba para nutrir mi menú semanal o de eventos. En todo el libro habré sacado 5 ideas. No obstante, es un buen compilado de recetas de varias nacionalidades.
I have all Tanis' cookbooks and this was largely a disappointment. It's small on flavor and originality. Almost every dish in the book, I already have on my cookbook shelves. Didn't make me feel inspired or desire to go out and cook anything in it.
Allison Lynch
Loving this simple but gourmand cookbook -!have made the egg dish a 1/2 dozen times already to rave reviews.
easy recipes that stir the imagination of the beginner chef.
More like how we really eat - one dish. I've tried several and they have been very good. One of my go-to cookbooks.
This cookbook has beautiful photographs of the recipes! The recipes themselves are relatively simple yet unique and creative with lots of Asian and Middle Eastern influences. I haven't tried cooking anything from the book yet, but I hope that I can sometime soon!
Read my full review:

My opinion: First off, this book had BEAUTIFUL PICTURES! On that note, the book contained relatively simple recipes, but I would only eat a handful due to personal preference. Most had easily obtainable ingredients, such as mussels, anchovies, but probably not the most popular foods. Most recipes pretty ethnic (Middle Eastern or Asian). I would encourage a look at book sample at library, Amazon sample or brick/mortar bookstore.
Interesting cookbook with a number of very delicious looking things to cook.

Garnered a few tips, which always makes reading a cookbook worthwhile.

Though the book is worth spending time with it just for the beautiful photographs.
Robert Hudder
Good solid dishes. I would recommend this for new cooks and people who aren't creative but want to have a few simple but good dishes for everyday. I am not buying this book because many of the recipes are mainly a collection of good ingredients cooked well. There is a fair breadth of different cultures represented. I have a lot of these recipes elsewhere and kind of cook this way already (look in the fridge and pantry, pop things together and see what happens)
I am going to try a lot of things in here...
I have read, but not made anything, from Tanis's new collection. I am eager to give several dishes a try. Based on visual impact, perfect amount of chat, level of appeal in the recipes and understandability of the instructions, I would off hand say One Good Dish is another 5 star cookbook for Tanis but I am reserving rating until I have sampled some of the dishes. The proof of the pudding...
This is a very attractive book. I tried and liked:

-Cucumber spears with dill
-Breaded eggplant cutlets
-Swiss chard al forno
I loved this cookbook so much that not only did I download it I also bought a hard copy. Made the cold Chinese chicken. Great blend of flavors. Also made the green African sauce and Middle East red sauce. So many great and original combinations in all the recipes. Can't wait to try them all.
Beautiful book about super-healthy and super-delicious food. My favorites are the breaded eggplants (already ate like a ton!) and the garbanzos: as the author says, after trying thdm, the only thing you want is more; and the sameapplies to this wonderful and beautiful book.
Good, simple dishes, gorgeous photography,and Tanis's writing style make this a pleasant and inspiring book. If you're an experienced cook you won't see anything new here, but you may get inspired to search for the best ingredients and make your food presentation better!
Feb 08, 2014 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
I usually love his books, aesthetic and style, but this one seemed a little less useful and a little colder than his other work.
beautiful, extremely simple food. reminds me of ottolenghi books, but even simpler. most recipes have 4-6 ingredients, including salt and oil. some great pieces in here - long-cooked kale, charred endives with anchovy butter, polentina soup, and others.
Stephen Reading
A surprisingly accurate self-assessment by the author for a cookbook with a hundred or so dishes.
Great pictures of some simple, tasty recipes.
Amy Eischens
Nov 16, 2013 Amy Eischens marked it as to-read
Heard an interview on The Splendid Table
simple but sophisticated recipes
3 1/2 stars.
Sophie Lafayette
Sophie Lafayette marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
  • The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes
  • Flour, Too: Indispensable Recipes for the Cafe's Most Loved Sweets & Savories
  • Pok Pok: Food and Stories from the Streets, Homes and Roadside Restaurants of Thailand
  • Keepers: Two Home Cooks Share Their Tried-and-True Weeknight Recipes and the Secrets to Happiness in the Kitchen
  • The New Persian Kitchen
  • The Art of Simple Food II: Recipes, Flavor, and Inspiration from the New Kitchen Garden
  • The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation
  • The Slanted Door: Modern Vietnamese Food
  • One Bowl Baking: Simple, From Scratch Recipes for Delicious Desserts
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • Baking Chez Moi: Recipes from My Paris Home to Your Home Anywhere
  • Feast: Generous Vegetarian Meals for Any Eater and Every Appetite
  • A Change of Appetite: Where Delicious Meets Healthy
  • The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Dessert Cookbook: 100 Delicious Heritage Recipes from the Farm and Garden
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China