Start by marking “The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)

The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles #1)

Seventeen-year-old Riven is as tough as they come. Coming from a world ravaged by a devastating android war, she has to be. There’s no room for softness, no room for emotion, no room for mistakes. A Legion General, she is the right hand of the young Prince of Neospes, a parallel universe to Earth. In Neospes, she has everything: rank, responsibility and respect. But when P ...more
Published January 7th 2014 by Strange Chemistry (first published December 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Almost Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Almost Girl

YA Novels of 2014
200th out of 1,536 books — 8,947 voters
Captive by Samantha JacobeyStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenStarshine by G.S. JennsenRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanWithin Temptation by Tanya Holmes
First In Series (2014)
90th out of 703 books — 1,605 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (the Grinch)
“Why’d you name me Riven? It’s so horrible,” I was wailing. “It’s not even pretty. It’s ugly, like me.”

You are Riven! Like your deadly (and ugly, remember?) name, you are an assassin! A deadly Legion General, one of the highest ranking officers in your world. You are smart, tactically brilliant! You are on a covert rescue mission on Earth, trying to masquerade as a high schooler!

Naturally, blending in is of the utmost importance. It is absolutely crucial to look like a normal high schooler,
Rose
Initial reaction: Yeah, I have a few things to talk about later on when I'm feeling up to reflecting on this story. In sum, though? Probably one of the more mediocre sci-fi stories I've come across. The worldbuilding was sketchy, the characters were typical, the twists were manufactured and convenient, and the whole thing was a mess. Including the romance.

Full review:

Argh, this is the kind of review I don't want to write, but feel I have to. This particular genre's a part of my heart and head, a
Kathylill
As with a lot of YA books lately this one fell flat for me even though cover and description sounded promising.

The book starts with River “escaping” her world on a secret mission by the Prince to find his long lost hidden away brother. The first pages had me right into the story, with a kick ass heroine; wow … I was really rubbing my hands in anticipation of the coming story.

The first thing that didn’t work for me was the High School setting. The High School drama, the teen angst, the slut sham
Kristi Cook
Apr 17, 2014 Kristi Cook rated it it was amazing
WOW. Heart-pounding, edge-of-seat fabulous! Loved the world-building--very cinematic. A great intro to a new series. Looking forward to the sequel!
Kribu
Before I say anything else, I should point out that this was an ARC that I read. It's possible that some of the awful mess that this book is will be improved on for the final version.

(I have my doubts; the e-book was well-formatted and it didn't feel like a first draft, I didn't spot any noteworthy typos or grammar issues, which are really the only things I'd expect that might still get polished away at this stage - all the problems I had with it were on much deeper level. The plot was full of
Nikki
Received as an ARC from Netgalley. Like all Angry Robot/Strange Chemistry books, this is a compulsive read: I started it this afternoon and just finished it now. I think I'd have been more enthusiastic about it when I was younger, and I'm almost positive my sister would really enjoy it. Even now I found it interesting, and got swept up in the action.

Part of the problem for me is the very teenage focus on attraction and love, which is not something I'm particularly interested in. On the flip side
Isa Lavinia
Dec 31, 2014 Isa Lavinia rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one

ARC provided by Strange Chemistry through Netgalley

I hate writing bad reviews, so I'm going to try to keep this short...

The first problem with this book is the blurb. It promises a heroine who rose to the rank of Legion General and is the right hand of the Prince.
This is YA so, from this description, I was expecting a mature young woman - not a child.

This just isn't realistic - yes, child soldiers are an unfortunate reality in our very world, but this is absurd.

This is a child who claims to h
Susana

Arc provided by Netgalley

DNF at 43%

I once read that when writing a less than positive review, one should always start by pointing out the positives of said story.
Okay the positive of this story is:

The synopsis

As you can see, and read, it seems amazing!

The problem?

Well, as it happens with the latest trend in YA books, a promising synopsis doesn't imply an amazing story. The imagination is there. But the outcome is nothing less than a mess of stereotypes come together in another mess of literary
Bekah AwesomeBookNut
Jul 23, 2015 Bekah AwesomeBookNut rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into to this book, the characters were over the top the drama was eye rolling I just couldn't finish it.

Nicole's Review: I started the book because my 14-year-old niece said it was really good. "My new favorite book," she said. So I was excited. And it was going well in the beginning. I was curious about what was going to happen, about the world, about the characters. But then I got about half way through... and couldn't read anymore. Here's why:

Howard tells us how brave and
Siobhan Davis
Mar 05, 2016 Siobhan Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, series, sci-fi, arc, review-copy
The Almost Girl is a well-written sci-fi romance with interesting worldbuilding and a complex MC. I was gripped from the very start, and with the exception of a small section when the story moved to Neospes, it was fast paced and kept my attention.

The plot was action-packed and full of twists and turns. Though the revelation in relation to her identity wasn't a major shock, it was still a good twist.

Cade is, ah, swoon ..... a perfect book boyfriend! Smart, funny, sexy, protective and he deals
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

Recently almost all dystopian novels that I've read had something in common. That is the reality of the story which at the same time thrills me because of all the ideas and scares the hell out of me because of the possibility of these ideas coming true. This one is no exception.

Parallel universes have been something that's been fairly popular nowadays and the story here is based on that. Parallel with out world is another world called Neospes, but that unive
Colleen Houck
What a crazy ride! I loved the heroine of this book. She's so strong and powerful. Loved the concept of eversion and alternate worlds. So cool. Preordering the sequel today.
Tabitha (Pabkins)
The Almost Girl falls into a middle ground for me. One where I can’t always put my finger on the reasons why I only just liked or ok’d it. With a gripping prologue and a suspenseful sounding premise the progression of the book was a bit uneven for me. But then on the flip side when action scenes appeared they were well written and engaging.

Character development!
Again I experienced this flip flop reaction when it came to the characters. Riven was such a strong female lead and a General in the mil
paula
Feb 04, 2014 paula rated it did not like it
NOT RECOMMENDED. It’s just so sloppily written - verb tenses in particular switch all over the place, from present to past and back again within sentences. Heavy reliance on past perfect contractions - I’d remembered and he’d fought and it’d been surprising. So awkward and difficult to sort those sentences out to figure out what exactly went on and in what order.

Sloppy contradictions:
“His voice is dead, just like the rest of him, but he understands exactly who she is. He’s half-alive, but still
Nafiza
Dec 26, 2013 Nafiza rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley, 2013
So I’ll go out on a limb and say that the new year will bring lots of science fiction-ey, non-dystopian drama our way. Amalie Howard’s The Almost Girl is fast-paced and full of action. It features bad guys, technology, aliens, cute boys who seem beta until they start fighting and a badass heroine. It’s entertainment at its best and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

It begins with a chase, the 14 year old running from A.I. soldiers who are nearly undefeatable. If you are not Riven who has super special po
Teresa Mary Rose
More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

This is a book that it is very hard for me to write a review for because I really loved it and I’m not quite sure how to put that love into words. This is a brilliantly crafted story with wonderful characters. The world building is awesome and in true nerd girl fashion I loved all the sci-fi elements.

Riven is an awesome awesome heroine! She is so strong and tough and determined. When we first meet her she is very cold and closed off. She is driven
Courtney
Mar 08, 2016 Courtney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
3.5 Stars

This is the first book I have ever read by Amelia Howard. I read some of the reviews before digging into this book (something I normally don't do) since I had never heard of the author before and wanted to get an idea what I was getting into. I realized that this book was being re-published so I pretty much felt that any reviews before the new published date may not truly reflect the ARC that I was given in exchange for an honest review. With that being said - on to my review.

The blurb
Navdha
How do I put this gently? Riven, the female MC in this book, whose name actually means to tear apart, who is such a narcissist, who claims to be all deadly and powerful, is actually a vain, conceited bitch? Why do I say such a rude thing about a supposedly strong MC who has kickass fighting skills? Well, let’s backtrack a little.

The book is divided in two sections. One is setup in a high school (where all YA action happens, obviously) and the other in a planet (place?) called Neopses. Riven is
Lucinda
Apr 16, 2014 Lucinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sensational sci-fi that’s refreshingly original and an extraordinarily innovative edition to the Young Adult genre

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Amalie Howard’s dazzling book is a scintillating story of breathtaking imaginative vision, scope and substance that doesn’t disappoint. The striking, eye-catching cover pulls you into a magnetic tale wrought with remarkable concepts and fresh vivacity. With a gutsy, spunky female protagonist and cast of colourful characters the confidently assured narrative exudes authenticity that’
Wendy
Riven is a military general in command of technologically advanced undead soldiers called Vectors. When we first meet her, she has defected and is being hunted by her former charges before she “everts” to our planet to follow through on her mission: find a boy named Caden.

The prologue gives you a taste of what’s to come with a strong, resourceful and deadly main character and a lot of action, but once we hit earth, things stagger. First of all, there’s the problem of this crack soldier who fails
Thibaut Nicodème
Mar 29, 2016 Thibaut Nicodème rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: snark, dnf
DNF at 10%. You can find my detailed analysis on my blog, the Snark Theater (part 1part 2)

It's kind of impressive the ways some authors find to fuck up a female protagonist so deeply and so fast. You'd think have a protagonist who's also female wouldn't be so hard.

But no, Riven is a military leader and a genius, except she has no understanding of strategy—she doesn't even have a cover set up after three years of back and forth between her world and ours. Plus, her entire quest is to find a gu
Jilly
Jan 06, 2015 Jilly rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi, hated-it, fantasy
I gave the last three books I read 5 stars, so I guess my luck was bound to run out. Or, maybe the good writing gave me high expectations that could not possibly be met by normal books. Maybe my standards just became impossibly high. Let's see if I'm wrong here, shall we?

First of all, we have our main character, Riven.

Her name was supposed to be Raven, but they recorded it wrong so she was stuck with this name. Even though her family was extremely wealthy and powerful in her world, her best fri
Leigh
Oct 08, 2014 Leigh rated it really liked it
ARC provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

One look at this cover and I knew I had to read this book to find out if the main character was as fierce as she looked. The Almost Girl did not disappoint. It was this SciFi lover's dream book full of fast-paced action, twists and turns that will keep you guessing, and one kick-ass heroine.

Riven has trained all her life to be the best. Now, at seventeen, she is at the top as Legion General of Neospes, a world coming back from a disastr
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Dec 07, 2013 Kirsty-Marie Jones rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, arc, review-copy, 2014, jan
-Actual Rating: 3.5

Firstly, look at the pretty cover! Pretty and appropriate to the book. *clap*

What drew me to the book was the infinite possibilities of parallel universes, seriously, I love it. And with infinite possibilities brings so many different versions that is completely fascinating and for most of it The Almost Girl didn't fail. It was completely badass.

That said, I'm not going to beat around the bush. I did not like the first half of it, at all. It was repetitive, cold, a little ann
Braiden
Jan 01, 2014 Braiden rated it it was ok
There’s nothing more satisfying than starting the new year with a review that is not positive. Because yet again I show my honesty, and you read Book Probe for the honest reviews. I mean, what else are you here for than not for the negative to mixed reviews?

The Almost Girl seemed like the perfect read to kick 2014 off with (though I did read at end of 2013)—sci-fi, intergalactic world, Strange Chemisty/Angry Robot, great cover. Those are four features I like. And I foolishly believed that that c
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

With that awesome cover, a sci-fi story and a kick ass heroine, it was hard not to resist The Almost Girl. Sci-fi seems to be the next big thing on the YA front at the moment, and with words like “android war” and “parallel universe” I had to pick this one up.

If you want a strong heroine, Riven is as tough as they come as a Legion General, sent to Earth to retrieve her target. She has quick healing abilities, super awesome fi
Milo (Bane of Kings)
The Review: http://thefoundingfields.com/2014/01/....

“The Almost Girl draws you in with its excellent cover and keeps you hooked right the way through. Fun, fast paced – it’s a young adult novel that manages to be original with a kickass female protagonist and a confident narrative. Recommended.” ~Bane of Kings, The Founding Fields

"Seventeen-year-old Riven comes from a world ravaged by a devastating android war, a parallel world to Earth.

A Legion General, she is the right hand of the young Pri
Catherine
Nov 06, 2013 Catherine rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-teen, sci-fi, fantasy, arcs
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC of this novel.

You can find this review, and more at thisisjustabookblog.tumblr.com

For some reason, I love the title of this novel. I just think it's really beautiful. The summary of the novel is also great; it made me really excited to read this book. It didn't quite live up to my expectations, however.

Though I will say that the novel certainly got better as it went on, I was disappointed by how easily it fell into young adult tropes. The first couple of scene
Miranda the Gayvenger
This is a DNF review. Pages read: 73/289

I tried to be into it, I did. And admittedly, it started off strong and the beginnings of the world building were good. But then Riven and the narration of the book shame Caden's girlfriend as being slutty and a "bitch," and--I don't know. It kind of just ruined the entire thing for me, because seriously, you can create a world where there's virtually no sexual assault and where women can hold positions of power and command with no problem, but it's appare
  • Skulk (Skulk, #1)
  • Under Nameless Stars (Zenn Scarlett, #2)
  • Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2)
  • The Seers (Holders #2)
  • Essence
  • Follow Me Through Darkness (Boundless, #1)
  • Feather Bound
  • Katya's War (Russalka Chronicles, #2)
  • Emilie and the Sky World (Emilie, #2)
  • When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
  • Thanksgiving
  • Blood Orange Soda
  • The Woken Gods
  • Domino Falls (Devil's Wake, #2)
  • Chorus (Coda #2)
  • Donna of the Dead
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
  • Morningside Fall (Legends of the Duskwalker, #2)
AMALIE HOWARD grew up on a small Caribbean island where she spent most of her childhood with her nose buried in a book or running around barefoot, shimmying up mango trees, and dreaming of adventure. 25 countries, surfing with sharks and several tattoos later, she has traded in bungee jumping in China for writing the adventures she imagines instead.

She isn’t entirely convinced which takes more gu
More about Amalie Howard...

The Riven Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Fallen Prince (The Riven Chronicles, #2)