The Gym Teacher From The Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #3)

The Gym Teacher From The Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon #3)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  482 ratings  ·  24 reviews
From the zany, bestselling series that has sold more than 200,000 copes comes a hilarious new picture book. If young readers thought the Teacher and the Principal from the Black Lagoon were scary, wait until they see the gym teacher! This third book explores a youngster's fear of meeting a new teacher . . . a gym teacher called Coach Kong!
Published September 1st 1994 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Gym Teacher From The Black Lagoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gym Teacher From The Black Lagoon

Tricia
I enjoy all the titles in this series but this one really made me and my audience giggle. This one offers some hysterical moments related to gym class.
Margo Martin
The Gym Teacher from the Black Lagoon tells the story about getting a new gym teacher who is coming over from the junior high. He hears stories about how he is like King Kong and blows his loud whistle a lot. The rumors continue that he makes you play dodge ball with his truck and baseball with real bats. However, just as the other books, when they finally meet the gym teacher, he is awesome and very nice. This book could also be used in class right before the class goes to gym, so they can real...more
Elizabeth Roe
Grade/interest level: Primary (K-3rd)
Reading level: Lexile, 400L
Genre: Picture Book

Main Characters: The boy and Mr. Green (Gym Teacher)
Setting: The boy's school, primarily
POV: First person, from the boy

This book is about a young boy's fear of his new gym teacher. The boy explains all of the scary things that kids have said about the new gym teacher such as that he is hairy and his knuckles hit the ground, like a monkey. Kids also say that his nickname is “Coach Kong” and his office has branches...more
Dolly
Nov 06, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another fun story in the Black Lagoon series by Mike Thaler and Jared Lee. Many children tend to think of people of authority as scary or mean, but this is just another example of how our expectations do not always live up to reality.

The illustrations really make the narrative come alive and we enjoyed reading this story together. Our girls occasionally complain about their physical education class, so this was a good opportunity to show that they have a fun class and learn a lot about...more
Shawna Kopp
This is a good book to use for a writers workshop on creative writing. I would also use it as a predicting book for young children.
There is a rumor that Mr. Green, the gym teacher from the junior high, is coming to the elementary school and oh is he mean. Hubie pictures him as a huge, hairy green monster who makes the students do horrible things in gym class. Mr. Green turns out to be a regular guy who is a fun gym teacher. Great for young kids in elementary school to learn that the unknown isn't always scary and to not believe rumors and gossip. It is a nice, quick read with cute line drawings for artwork. My 8 year old li...more
Allyson Sparks
This is comical book about a student who has heard all these horrible things about the new gym teacher. From fitness tests, posture tests, games and the rope, this new gym teacher is sounding to be awful, but once the student sees Mr. Green with a big smile and realizes he is a regular guy, he is excited for gym class. I thought this book would be a fun book to tell to my group because it has some humor and everyone can relate to rumors and also being afraid of teachers.
Janet
This is a very funny book about a boy who has heard rumors about the gym teacher and is afraid. I read this book with a beginner reader in 2nd grade. It was enjoyable and educational for him, as he learned a few new words and concepts.
I have not read other books from the series, but I look forward to the next time a beginner reader hands me a book by this author or from this series.
Brent Foley
Amusing tale of a child's imagination paired with outlandish rumors; Hubie thinks the new gym teacher is a monster when it turns out he's just a regular guy. A fun read.
Sandy
One of several stories in the “Black Lagoon” series, as always Hubie thinks the worst and in the end he always finds out that having a new Gym Teacher is going to be fun.
Deborah Harris
Dec 15, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a15, ar-2
AR Quiz No. 12754 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.2 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
This one plays with words a little bit, but really bored me from some of the other books in the series. I did enjoy the junior high kids up in the ceiling though.
Sarah Ziskend
Good for:
- talking about new experiences
-talking about predictions
- looking at descriptive words
- good for a student who does not like change
Elaine
I recommend this book for lessons on making predictions! Of of the Black Lagoon books are entertaining and kids love them.
Rachael
Cute story. Shows a child fear of the unknown and what are minds can do when we do not know.
Kayla
This was a funny book. Would read it again to students for sure!
Marge
Feb 01, 2009 Marge added it
Shelves: jfiction
easy read - fun read for those worried about gym, teachers, etc.
Amy
this should be required reading for schools
Violet
Funny, reminded me on of elem. School.
Valette
Never judge others.
Destinee
This. Is good
Janna
Janna added it
Aug 23, 2014
Elizabeth Vega
Elizabeth Vega marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • Froggy's Best Christmas
  • Arthur's Underwear (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!
  • The Jacket I Wear in the Snow
  • The Night Before the Night Before Christmas
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader, Level 2)
  • Clifford's Thanksgiving Visit
  • Invisible Stanley (Flat Stanley, #4)
  • Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2)
  • Mrs. Jafee Is Daffy! (My Weird School Daze #6)
  • Mooseltoe
  • Miss Spider's New Car
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Teasing
  • Barnyard Banter
Mike Thaler, born in Los Angeles, started his professional career drawing cartoons for adults. A children's book editor saw one of his cartoon stories in a national magazine and encouraged Mike to try writing for children. His first attempt met with success, and "The Magic Boy" was published in 1961.

Mike has produced over 220 published books and is known as “America’s Riddle King.” He has also bee...more
More about Mike Thaler...
The Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #1) The Librarian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #5) The Principal from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #2) The Substitute Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #15) The School Nurse from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #4)