The Custodian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #9)

The Custodian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon #9)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Somewhere in the dark caverns beneath the school lurks the custodian. Is he really a dark phantom figure wreaking havoc throughout the school, making it boiling hot all summer and freezing cold in the winter? The school is definitely in a fix with this custodian around!
Published August 1st 2001 by Cartwheel

To ask other readers questions about The Custodian from the Black Lagoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Custodian from the Black Lagoon

Amy
This book is funny and imaginative, but I would think carefully before I put it in my classroom. I think it depends on the grade level, because it can be a bit mature - there is one reference to the Titanic ship sinking and the Hindenburg airship crashing (which I didn't know about until I read this), which I don't think is entirely respectful or necessary to put in a children's book. Otherwise, this is a funny book to read while imagining if the custodian is actually evil and then realizing he...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Thaler, Mike, and Jared Lee D. The Custodian from the Black Lagoon. New York: Scholastic, 2001. Print.
This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read. http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com

The Black Lagoon series is the ultimate first week of school series. It takes all the fears and anxieties children have about different people, their teacher, music teacher, librarian, custodian and narrates those fears from the perspective of a child. The fears are disproved at the end of the book.
The custodian is...more
Dolly
Oct 06, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story in the Black Lagoon series. The little boy imagines, in a very creative way, a creepy and inept school custodian. Some of the historical and literary references could go above and beyond a young child's knowledge; in fact I found myself explaining the Phantom of the Opera and the Hindenburg to our girls. But overall, it's a funny and fairly typical book in this series. It helps to show children that their imagination can often get carried away and that some of the less well-k...more
Kaethe
The PandaBat selected this, and read it to herself, and then asked me to read it aloud later on. My first in the series, I found it predictable, but it went along well with one of the other books I was asked to read, The Little Bit Scary People, and I'm going to assume that it's a point not yet absorbed by first-graders.
Priscilla Schelling
This story shows how nice custodians actually are at the end of the story. A school would not function well without the custodians so the boy in the story shows all of the ways a custodian is needed. Teachers should teach students to have a high respect for the custodians and this book shows why in a very fun way. Very imaginative.
Daryl Murphy
I enjoyed reading this book it reminded of what I thought about janitors as an elementary student. I would go to school with my mom on nights and weekends and the janitors would always be there, even in the summer.
Felishaa ' Mariee
uuummm yea soo i know i'm to old to be reading these kind of books but i can't help if it looks good!so when u get a chance read it cuz i think it's good!
Stacy
One of my favorite Black Lagoon books. Mainly because I worked as a custodian at an elementary school.
This book lack creativity. The other books in the series play on words, but this one doesn't.
Amy
i'm glad the custodian finally got some recognition
Mackenzie
it was funny
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Mario Ramirez
Mario Ramirez marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Leo
Leo added it
Sep 11, 2014
Brenda
Brenda added it
Sep 10, 2014
Royalty
Royalty marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Rhica
Rhica marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Janna
Janna added it
Aug 23, 2014
Bessie
Bessie added it
Aug 19, 2014
Mrs. Viteri
Mrs. Viteri marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Riley Barnitz
Riley Barnitz marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Samuel
Samuel marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Diego Monarrez
Diego Monarrez marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Mike Thaler, born in Los Angeles, started his professional career drawing cartoons for adults. A children's book editor saw one of his cartoon stories in a national magazine and encouraged Mike to try writing for children. His first attempt met with success, and "The Magic Boy" was published in 1961.

Mike has produced over 220 published books and is known as “America’s Riddle King.” He has also bee...more
More about Mike Thaler...
The Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #1) The Librarian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #5) The Principal from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #2) The Gym Teacher From The Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #3) The Substitute Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #15)