Start by marking “The Custodian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Custodian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #9)

The Custodian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon #9)

Somewhere in the dark caverns beneath the school lurks the custodian. Is he really a dark phantom figure wreaking havoc throughout the school, making it boiling hot all summer and freezing cold in the winter? The school is definitely in a fix with this custodian around!
Published August 1st 2001 by Cartwheel

To ask other readers questions about The Custodian from the Black Lagoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Custodian from the Black Lagoon

Amy
Mar 18, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
This book is funny and imaginative, but I would think carefully before I put it in my classroom. I think it depends on the grade level, because it can be a bit mature - there is one reference to the Titanic ship sinking and the Hindenburg airship crashing (which I didn't know about until I read this), which I don't think is entirely respectful or necessary to put in a children's book. Otherwise, this is a funny book to read while imagining if the custodian is actually evil and then realizing he ...more
Jonathan Bodine
Oct 27, 2015 Jonathan Bodine rated it really liked it
Shelves: popular-series
The Custodian from the Black Lagoon is strong when it comes to reflecting the perspectives of elementary aged school children. In transitioning to elementary school, children become exposed to more people than they were used to seeing to previously. They also will start to see these people on a daily basis. It is understandable that a fear develops around this. They are also around a larger peer group where rumors will be spread. The illustrations work to paint the vivid images of the child’s im ...more
Paula
Nov 12, 2014 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This title follows the familiar format of the “Black Lagoon” series. A young boy is fearful of the school custodian because of all the fantastic and frightening tales he has heard about him. However, once he meets the custodian face-to-face, the boy realizes that the custodian is caring and helpful. Cool and descriptive cartoon illustrations take over the pages and are a browser’s delight. References to the Phantom of the Opera, the Titanic and the Hindenberg may require further clarification fo ...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Thaler, Mike, and Jared Lee D. The Custodian from the Black Lagoon. New York: Scholastic, 2001. Print.
This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read. http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com

The Black Lagoon series is the ultimate first week of school series. It takes all the fears and anxieties children have about different people, their teacher, music teacher, librarian, custodian and narrates those fears from the perspective of a child. The fears are disproved at the end of the book.
The custodian is
Dolly
Oct 06, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story in the Black Lagoon series. The little boy imagines, in a very creative way, a creepy and inept school custodian. Some of the historical and literary references could go above and beyond a young child's knowledge; in fact I found myself explaining the Phantom of the Opera and the Hindenburg to our girls. But overall, it's a funny and fairly typical book in this series. It helps to show children that their imagination can often get carried away and that some of the less well-k ...more
Kaethe
The PandaBat selected this, and read it to herself, and then asked me to read it aloud later on. My first in the series, I found it predictable, but it went along well with one of the other books I was asked to read, The Little Bit Scary People, and I'm going to assume that it's a point not yet absorbed by first-graders.
Priscilla Schelling
This story shows how nice custodians actually are at the end of the story. A school would not function well without the custodians so the boy in the story shows all of the ways a custodian is needed. Teachers should teach students to have a high respect for the custodians and this book shows why in a very fun way. Very imaginative.
Murph Eugene
Sep 18, 2012 Murph Eugene rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book it reminded of what I thought about janitors as an elementary student. I would go to school with my mom on nights and weekends and the janitors would always be there, even in the summer.
Danielle
Oct 07, 2015 Danielle rated it really liked it
Similar to the rest of the Black Lagoon series, this book explores the rumors of the school custodian.

I will use this to discuss assuming with my class. (Along with the other Black Lagoon Books)
Amy
Jul 27, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
i'm glad the custodian finally got some recognition
Felishaa ' Mariee
Jun 02, 2010 Felishaa ' Mariee rated it it was ok
uuummm yea soo i know i'm to old to be reading these kind of books but i can't help if it looks good!so when u get a chance read it cuz i think it's good!
Kay
Apr 14, 2016 Kay rated it it was ok
i dont like reading this to my kids. they never understand whats going on.
Stacy
Feb 18, 2008 Stacy rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Black Lagoon books. Mainly because I worked as a custodian at an elementary school.
Mackenzie
Jan 29, 2012 Mackenzie rated it really liked it
it was funny
Alex Vega
Alex Vega rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Mar 12, 2013 Jennifer rated it did not like it
This book lack creativity. The other books in the series play on words, but this one doesn't.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2015
Amanda Coomer
Amanda Coomer rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
Kali
Kali rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2010
Tara Biles
Tara Biles rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2014
D. Field
D. Field rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Kristi Swenson
Kristi Swenson rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Aeryn
Aeryn rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Marci
Marci rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2008
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2014
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2016
Penny
Penny rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2014
Brenda Steffens
Brenda Steffens rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Taylor Drew
Taylor Drew rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2017
Aust Kyzor
Aust Kyzor rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2013
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • The Case of the Great Sled Race (Jigsaw Jones, #8)
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!
  • Clifford's Tricks (Clifford)
  • Get Out Of Bed!
  • Honey... Honey... Lion!
  • Be Good to Eddie Lee
  • Corduroy's Christmas Surprise
  • Mrs. Jafee Is Daffy! (My Weird School Daze, #6)
  • The Vanishing Pumpkin
  • Moo Hoo
  • The Jacket I Wear in the Snow
  • Dear Fish
  • Have You Filled a Bucket Today?: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
  • 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore
  • Arthur's Perfect Christmas
Mike Thaler, born in Los Angeles, started his professional career drawing cartoons for adults. A children's book editor saw one of his cartoon stories in a national magazine and encouraged Mike to try writing for children. His first attempt met with success, and "The Magic Boy" was published in 1961.

Mike has produced over 220 published books and is known as “America’s Riddle King.” He has also bee
More about Mike Thaler...

Black Lagoon (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #1)
  • The Principal from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #2)
  • The Gym Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #3)
  • The School Nurse from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #4)
  • The Librarian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #5)
  • The Cafeteria Lady from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #6)
  • The School Bus Driver from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #7)
  • The Music Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #8)
  • The Class from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #10)
  • The Class Pet from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #11)