Start by marking “The Grays” as Want to Read:
The Grays

The Grays

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  930 ratings  ·  94 reviews
We are not alone. Millions of people are confronting aliens that authorities say don't exist. Whitley Strieber--author of the #1 bestselling book Communion, which detailed his own close encounters--now returns to the riddle of aliens with The Grays. Drawing from a lifetime of research & his own experiences, Strieber offers up a fictional account of the conspiracy behin ...more
Hardcover, 1st, 336 pages
Published August 22nd 2006 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Grays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grays

Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
So, if aliens are already here, why haven't any come talk to me. I thought I was cool. I'm bummed. This book was interesting, kinda scary and well a pleasant read.
Chris
Well, what started out promising didn't really cash in. I have seriously mixed feelings about this review. On one hand, I feel like it was probably better than 2 stars, but it's simply too hokey to be a solid 3. We'll call it a 2.5.

The writing is good. I enjoy Strieber's style in this book enough that I'll probably try more of his work later. The reader is very good too, Stephen Lang. I've listened to him before and I've always been pleased with him.

As I said, Strieber does carry a story along
Erik Graff
Jun 10, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: UFO, conspiracy fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
If I were to rate books solely on the basis of enjoyment, The Grays would get four stars. Personally, I found it a page-turner, finishing the thing in two nights as a bedtime book. But then I've reading UFO material since elementary school and so could recognize and appreciate the themes Strieber stitches together in this novel. Otherwise, seen more objectively, this is just another sf thriller.

Years ago, after the publication of Strieber's commercially successful memoir Communion, Samuel Delany
Benjamin Thomas
The Grays, by Whitley Strieber, is another one of the books that I picked up for "free" during my Alaska cruise last year, purchased with my free cruise ship allowance. I bought 6 or 8 books that way and this one was the last one I picked up, not certain I would really be interested in it. According to the cover blurbs, it would be about aliens that are already here living among us, a subject that just doesn't normally get me excited.

Perhaps that is the main cause of my mediocre reaction to the
Bradley
Whitley Strieber's The Grays is an interesting read from front to back, and never disappoints. In fact, it's hard to know what to expect at any time throughout the novel, as the author provides enough twists and turns to keep readers constantly guessing.

On the surface, The Grays at first appears to be a fairly typical alien-abduction story, but quickly expands to a cataclysmic scale, and the author's imagination provides for some unique ideas, and an interesting climax.

On the whole, The Graysi
Lee Koopman
This book is a good read. Strieber has some fascinating ideas about alien life forms, their motives for contact, government involvement and alien technology. I've never had more than a passing interest in UFO's or alien beings, not that I don't blieve there are others out there, I just don't see how that directly relates to me. Anyhow, I picked this book up on a whim and could not put it down. The story plot was interesting and gave me the creepy crawlies late at night and that's something I lik ...more
B.L. Hewitt

I suppose that you either believe that aliens exist or you do not. If you are one who does believe then Strieber has given you a way to accept that their mission may not be the destruction of our planet. Moreover, if you also believe that the US government has covered up the existence of such beings, then you will be pleased as well.
The author neatly intertwines all of the things that we think we know about possible aliens and their abductions of humans for experimentation. The reasons the autho
Mike Philbin
Jan 30, 2012 Mike Philbin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love reading stories
Lolo
I've read about a lot of articles about aliens/grays/ufos and this book is the only one that is consistent with all of them!

I really liked the story... and i'm not sure that's the intent of the book but i identified with the main character!

After reading this book... one thought remained... how much of this book is true about the grays?
Corey
Aug 27, 2008 Corey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those that are interested in the UFOs or in the chanign times
This is an incredible read. For anyone who has read any of Whitley Stribers books or those that are interested in the UFO phenominon or those that are interested in the comming changes in our world. This is a fictional book, but it has those ellements i spoke of but will keep you on the seat till the end and wanting more.
Bob
A bit hard to get started in this one. Back to Area 51 and the aliens for this one and we find that they actually exist and one has been captured and a secret group has found some one how can communicate wit it after a fashion. The group is gaining knowledge from the alien and developing advanced technology that they are keeping to themselves. The group believes that the earth is fast approaching a disastrous end and they plan to survive with a select group of people. There is another group also ...more
Bruce Emmerling
A very good fictional work based on the premise that an alien race is interacting with humanity. Much of the book's storyline and characters are based on information from UFO studies. It was very good read, regardless whether one believes in UFOs or not.
Doug
I loved this book. Even though it is a fictional tale, the story makes you think about life and life around you.
R2roswell
Talk about adventurous. Definately one of those great alien abduction tales. Keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Dawn Anderson
Makes you wonder how much of it is actually true ! Interesting story .
Tee Jay
Apr 13, 2010 Tee Jay rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to be entertained
Martin Hill
I was a big fan of Whiley Strieber's "Communion" books. In this work of fiction, Strieber takes the whole of UFO lore and wraps it up in a story about a dying race of aliens and a dying earth. Grays (both short and tall), Nordic aliens, black triangles, glowing orbs, abuctions and implants -- Strieber has it all. For good measure, he throws in a group of corrupt corporate leaders called "The Trust" who wish to hasten the end of the human race so they can rebuild it in their own DNA image.

I thor
Todd
The Grays is pure Whitley Strieber. As far as thrillers go, Strieber is one of the best in the genre mixing occult, conspiracy, alien abductions and the anxiety over our pending doom that is banging around our collective unconscious and popular media today into action packed thrillers that are genuinely spooky and fun. This book has been out for a few years already and I happened to pick it up on a lark at my local grocery store. I couldn’t put it down. It was a fun read. I expected something di ...more
Joy
Jan 28, 2011 Joy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UFO Fans
Recommended to Joy by: Read a review
This book has a great premise and only fell short in the characterizations. I was terribly disappointed in the author's mishandling of the relationship between "Connor's" parents when the aliens forced the issue of Connor's Dad's tenure. The whole "Marcie" thing was unclear and confusing. Not only did it slow down the movement of the story, it was unnecessary and amatuerish. Dan and Katelyn (the parents) became shallow and distracting at a point when they should have stepped up to be more their ...more
Ladiibbug
Sep 08, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci Fi Alien/UFO/Conspiracy Theory Fans
#1 The Grays (Alien) Sci Fi series

Very good, exciting & entertaining. Whitley Strieber claims he was abducted by aliens in 1985 and wrote a non-fiction book ("Communion") based upon that experience.

In The Grays, a fictional sci fi book, the aliens are already here, though very small in number. This secret is known only to a handful of people and is protected by the military by death, if necessary.

Adam, a name given to an alien who has been communicating with difficulty with one human since 1
Sam
The Grays is an odd book and one that I have some trouble recommending to others, even as I acknowledge that it held my attention for the entirety of the narrative.

Some folks are going to be put off right away by the identity of the author, Whitley Strieber, who had a blockbuster bestseller in the '80s called Communion. Communion was ostensibly a true account of Strieber's encounters with gray aliens during now-classic abduction episodes that may have stretched back to his childhood. Though Stri
Tracy Walters
I have read quite a few science fiction books lately and so I was hoping this one would be a bit different from the others and that I would feel okay about the ending and book in general.

Well....this book didn't let me down.

I enjoyed The Grays because it had a very human side to it and you felt for the characters both alien and human....there were times when I was actually a bit afraid to go on...not wanting to know what would happen next but not being able to stop listening. There were a coupl
Ian
Whitley lets us share his theory, October 19, 2009

Most UFO 'believers' start off as so-called 'skeptics', but generally find their viewpoints changing as their knowledge of the evidence grows. Once you get past the fact that some UFOs are probably ASCs (alien spacecraft - thanks to Stanton Friedman (Flying Saucers and Science: A Scientist Investigates the Mysteries of UFOs: Interstellar Travel, Crashes, and Government Cover-Ups) you get to an even more interesting question - who are they and wh
Sherry
Sep 13, 2009 Sherry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sherry by: Rhon, Nik
Shelves: 2006-2010
I started this book with mixed feelings. My friend Rhon had read the book and commented on it on her blog: Good. Very easy to read, and you care about most of the characters. What's spooky is this quotation from the back cover: "Drawing from a lifetime of research and his own experiences...". Spooky, because this is a book about aliens coming to Earth in collusion with the US government. I was a big X-files fan, don't get me wrong, but the idea that Strieber has written a fictional account of th ...more
Roger Bailey
I had to restrain myself from giving this two stars or even one star. The problem is that the author is a flying saucer kook. He claims to have been abducted by space aliens and been given rides on flying saucers all around the earth and outer space. He has appeared on the Art Bell show promoting this wacky stuff and has written books pushing it. I tend to suspect that this novel is just another attempt to sell his snake oil. However, I am not rating Whitley Strieber except for how he does in wr ...more
Diane
4.5
This was great. I've been wanting to read it for a while but wasn't sure what to expect or if it was even fiction!

This being my first Strieber book, I can say he delivered. It's exactly what I was looking for. Invasion of the Fourth Kind: abductions, implants, ulterior alien motives, mankind at stake. Loved it.
Anais919
This was book on tape!! Loved it! I love et's and I love Stephen Lang (he read it)!! Whitley Strieber is such a unique author!! The Grays is about a small town in Kentucky that is the centre of UFO experiments. A young boy, his family are central to the alien plot to either invade or save us (both - human & alien). 9 year old Conner Callahan is the smartest person on record with an IQ over 270. He is a creation of the Grays. He and Lauren Glass are the only ones who seem to be able to commun ...more
Zack
Please: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-83...

This novelization of the alien abductee experience (not his own, but a typified version) by Whitley Strieber depicts the alien abductors as an ancient dying race destroying themselves through overuse of technological prosthetics, replacing parts of their brains and hearts with circuitry, for instance, to the degree they have lost their emotions. Their mysterious abductions are portrayed as systematized emotional rapes (them using us to feel again).
Angie
It's unfortunate this book was rather trite and saccharine, because the basic plot could have been really well developed. I somewhat regret the time it took to finish it, but I had nothing else to read at the time so there it is.
Natalie Harrison
I read this book in three days as it was an easy read. It got off to a great start, but then fell flat and disappointed me in the end. A great quick read about aliens among us, but nothing to write home to mom about.
The Goodreads Dar...: The Grays 3 16 May 21, 2012 04:06PM
  • Taken
  • Alien Agenda: Investigating the Extraterrestrial Presence Among Us
  • A.D. After Disclosure: The People's Guide to Life After Contact
  • Coyote Frontier (Coyote Trilogy, #3)
  • Probability Moon (Probability, #1)
  • Earth: An Alien Enterprise: The Shocking Truth Behind the Greatest Cover-up in Human History
  • UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On the Record
  • UFOs and the National Security State 1: Chronology of a Coverup 1941-73
  • The Sirius Mystery: New Scientific Evidence of Alien Contact 5,000 Years Ago
  • The Great Secret (Stories from the Golden Age)
  • Witness to Roswell: Unmasking the 60-Year Cover-Up
  • Night Train to Rigel (Quadrail, #1)
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
  • The Mars Mystery
  • The War After Armageddon
  • Forbidden History: Prehistoric Technologies, Extraterrestrial Intervention, and the Suppressed Origins of Civilization
  • Cryptic: The Best Short Fiction of Jack McDevitt
American writer best known for his horror novels The Wolfen and The Hunger and for Communion, a non-fiction description of his experiences with apparent alien contact. He has recently made significant advances in understanding this phenomenon, and has published his new discoveries in Solving the Communion Enigma.

Strieber also co-authored The Coming Global Superstorm with Art Bell, which inspired t
More about Whitley Strieber...
The Wolfen Communion: A True Story The Hunger (Hunger, #1) Warday 2012: The War For Souls