Tongue First   Adventures In Physical Culture

Tongue First Adventures In Physical Culture

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Emily Jenkins isn't ashamed of her insecurities, but she isn't throwing away her preconceptions, either. Tongue First can be reassuring to anyone who has felt embarrassed about disrobing in public or wonders about being more adventurous, as Jenkins unleashes her wit on topics from sensory deprivation to tattoos to afternoon naps. All sorts of things get tasted in this book...more
Paperback
Published January 14th 1999 by Virago Press Ltd (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Tongue First Adventures In Physical Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tongue First Adventures In Physical Culture

David
Celeste Thayer
This was not quite what I was expecting. I thought it would be a memoir, with standard plot structures. Instead, it was more like a collection of nonfiction essays, heavy on the author's well researched opinions.

I enjoyed the book, but some of the topics felt dated at only twelve years old - aerobics classes, for example, and some of the food fads she mentions.
Jess
I LOVE Emily Jenkins/E Lockhart/Emily Lockhart, but I could not get into this book. Read about half of it and skimmed the rest. Definitely interesting, though, to acquaint myself with the early, pre-YA writings of one of my favorite authors.
Shanley
I read this early in college and I really liked it then. As I recall, the author was experiencing things that are on the fringes of mainstream culture. She provided an interesting perspective and well-written evaluation of her experiences.
Rozoleum
I expected a little more from a book that was based entirely on trying things that are taboo. The title also, however memorable didn't seem to have anything to do with the content.
Jen
Jen added it
Aug 11, 2014
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jun 08, 2014
Kjersten
Kjersten marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Margaret H.
Margaret H. marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Wallace Pine
Wallace Pine marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Hilary M.
Hilary M. marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Toys Go Out (Toys #1) Toy Dance Party (Toys #2) Lemonade in Winter: A Book About Two Kids Counting Money Toys Come Home: Being the Early Experiences of an Intelligent Stingray, a Brave Buffalo, and a Brand-New Someone Called Plastic (Toys #3) Mister Posterior and the Genius Child