Start by marking “Tongue First Adventures In Physical Culture” as Want to Read:
Tongue First   Adventures In Physical Culture

Tongue First Adventures In Physical Culture

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Emily Jenkins isn't ashamed of her insecurities, but she isn't throwing away her preconceptions, either. Tongue First can be reassuring to anyone who has felt embarrassed about disrobing in public or wonders about being more adventurous, as Jenkins unleashes her wit on topics from sensory deprivation to tattoos to afternoon naps. All sorts of things get tasted in this book ...more
Paperback
Published January 14th 1999 by Virago Press Ltd (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Tongue First Adventures In Physical Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tongue First Adventures In Physical Culture

Cathy Bryant
I loved this exploration of the physical. It reminded me a little of Isobel Losada's 'The Battersea Park Road to Enlightnement' and her other books, but is less twinkly and more gritty - Jenkins isn't afraid to try heroin or get a tattoo or become bald in her quest to assess our relationship with our bodies. Jenkins writes with candour and wit, and her experiences were fascinating.
I read this book back in high school and have often reflected on the author's experiences. Rereading the book over ten years later, after I have had my own experiences with some of her subject areas (rolfing, tattoos, yoga and contemplating baldness), was really cathartic and validating. This book is highly recommended for the adventurous.
David
Celeste Thayer
This was not quite what I was expecting. I thought it would be a memoir, with standard plot structures. Instead, it was more like a collection of nonfiction essays, heavy on the author's well researched opinions.

I enjoyed the book, but some of the topics felt dated at only twelve years old - aerobics classes, for example, and some of the food fads she mentions.
Jess
I LOVE Emily Jenkins/E Lockhart/Emily Lockhart, but I could not get into this book. Read about half of it and skimmed the rest. Definitely interesting, though, to acquaint myself with the early, pre-YA writings of one of my favorite authors.
Shanley
I read this early in college and I really liked it then. As I recall, the author was experiencing things that are on the fringes of mainstream culture. She provided an interesting perspective and well-written evaluation of her experiences.
Rozoleum
I expected a little more from a book that was based entirely on trying things that are taboo. The title also, however memorable didn't seem to have anything to do with the content.
Abby
Abby is currently reading it
May 29, 2015
Cinnamon Swirl
Cinnamon Swirl marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
april
april added it
Mar 17, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
Oct 22, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Aug 11, 2014
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jun 08, 2014
Kjersten
Kjersten marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Margaret H.
Margaret H. marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Wallace Pine
Wallace Pine marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Toys Go Out: Being the Adventures of a Knowledgeable Stingray, a Toughy Little Buffalo, and Someone Called Plastic A Fine Dessert: Four Centuries, Four Families, One Delicious Treat Toy Dance Party: Being the Further Adventures of a Bossyboots Stingray, a Courageous Buffalo, and a Hopeful Round Someone Called Plastic Lemonade in Winter: A Book About Two Kids Counting Money Toys Come Home: Being the Early Experiences of an Intelligent Stingray, a Brave Buffalo, and a Brand-New Someone Called Plastic (Toys #3)