Start by marking “Conan the Valorous” as Want to Read:
Conan the Valorous

Conan the Valorous (Adventures of Conan)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  245 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In his native Cimmeria, Conan discovers foreign sorcerers defiling the most sacred place in the land as they struggle for the power to command the very gods. As ancient blood-enemies of his people invade, Conan must unite the ever-feuding clans to face an even greater foe... Demons ride to war on the slopes of Ben Morgh.
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published September 15th 1986 by Tor Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Conan the Valorous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan the Valorous

Röbert Fenske
Jul 29, 2015 Röbert Fenske rated it it was ok
This story had several good moments. But they never add up to make the story truly amazing.

The whole first third of the book has Conan go on a side quest that was exciting and entertaining. My only problem is that it never actually ties itself into the main story. But I'll admit, the action in this section of the book was a page turner and well written.

The description on the back of the book is extremely over exaggerated. As Conan is hardly involved with bring the Northern clans/tribes togethe
Rob
Sep 21, 2009 Rob rated it it was ok
I picked this off of my bookcase on a whim, read the first chapter and decided that I was in the mood for a light fantasy romp.

The last Conan book that I read was around 20 years ago, and I remember enjoying it immensely (mind you, I was really into role playing games back then, so that may have been why). I believe that Robert E. Howard's original Conan tales were shorter stories, while this novel by John Maddox Roberts is a novel.

Did I like it? Well, I did, but that was because I was in the mo
Bob
May 17, 2012 Bob rated it really liked it
This is the first of the eight novels that John Maddox Roberts wrote in the fifty-book Tor Series, and the first not penned by Robert Jordan (later of The Wheel of Time fame). In William Galen Gray's chronology it is the thirtieth Conan tale, following Howard's The Bloodstained God and taking place before Howard's The Frost Giant's Daughter.

I commend Roberts for providing an excellent look at life in Cimmeria. I contrast this with the disappointing approach that Harry Turtledove used in Conan of
East Bay J
Aug 01, 2012 East Bay J rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
Having just read another of Roberts' Conan pastiches, Conan And The Treasure Of Python, I have to say the man seems to be possessed of a limited number of ideas. Roberts, not Conan. Again we have ships and pirates and ancient gods and some Lovecraftian Cthulhuisms. Regardless, it was an entertaining read and light years ahead of the writing of Nyberg, Carter or DeCamp. I like that Conan revisits his homeland and becomes embroiled in the simple politics of his people. Roberts handles the characte ...more
Mathew Blackburn
Mar 16, 2014 Mathew Blackburn rated it it was amazing
Good
Keith Bell
Sep 01, 2015 Keith Bell rated it really liked it
I bought this book when I was 15 and have read it enough to have to tap the cover together. A good pastiche of Howard's original Conan.
Charles
Jan 04, 2009 Charles rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Conan pastiche
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Jonathan Reeder
Jonathan Reeder rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
Joe Wygocki
Joe Wygocki marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Giovanni Leoci
Giovanni Leoci rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
C F Stott
C F Stott rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Horsedevourer
Horsedevourer marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Leslie Nelson
Leslie Nelson rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Tetetum
Tetetum rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Aroon Kalandy
Aroon Kalandy rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Marta Blochowska
Marta Blochowska rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Kellie
Kellie marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Ssitha
Ssitha marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Jim Cook
Jim Cook rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Agrippina Jimmy
Agrippina Jimmy rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Caleb Sharpe
Caleb Sharpe rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Anemosmit
Anemosmit rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Scott F
Scott F marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
shirley g. walters
shirley g. walters rated it really liked it
CBennett
CBennett rated it really liked it
barry peach
barry peach rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
  • Conan The Fearless (Conan)
  • Conan the Renegade (Conan)
  • Conan the Magnificent (Conan, #5)
  • Conan the Liberator (Book 14)
  • Conan the Mercenary
  • Conan the Rebel
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • Conan the Avenger (Book 10)
19522
aka Mark Ramsay

John Maddox Roberts is the author of numerous works of science fiction and fantasy, in addition to his successful historical SPQR mystery series. The first two books in the series have recently been re-released in trade paperback. He lives in New Mexico with his wife.
More about John Maddox Roberts...

Adventures of Conan (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • The New Adventures of Conan
  • Conan The Fearless (Conan)
  • Conan The Raider (Conan)
  • Conan the Renegade (Conan)
  • Conan the Warlord