Start by marking “Zoo (The Enclosure Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Zoo (The Enclosure Chronicles, #1)

Zoo (The Enclosure Chronicles #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  590 ratings  ·  104 reviews
A chronicle of my time living in a zoo . . . I'm not really sure where to start, and you may have trouble believing me even as I tell you my story. My family did. They laughed the first time I told them, so now I just say it was all a crazy dream. You see, I died in a totally preventable car accident . . . or so I thought. When I opened my eyes, I was shocked to discover t ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 290 pages
Published February 2013 by Elizabeth Hawk Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Zoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zoo

The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty MoseleySignificance by Shelly CraneExistence by Abbi GlinesAccordance by Shelly CraneHeart on a Chain by Cindy C. Bennett
Best Indie YA/New Adult Books
88th out of 881 books — 2,003 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothInsurgent by Veronica RothCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Dystopian YA List
21st out of 170 books — 89 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheer Papworth
4.5 STARS!!! It's difficult to believe in the concept of a Human Zoo and yet history has many examples including the 1889 World Fair in Paris, P.T. Barnum's Circus and The Jardin Zoologique d'Acclimatation, just to name a few. What is brilliant is the use of this disturbing concept by Tara Elizabeth in creating an original YA Dystopian story. This book has all the ingredients of a delicious story: time travel, a love triangle, a warped dystopian society, science fiction technology, life after "d ...more
Kiersten
See more of my reviews at We Live and Breathe Books

When I first read the concept of Zoo I was instantly intrigued, and the book did not disappoint. The idea of a human zoo is something I never could have imagined until reading this book and experiencing being enclosed with Emma. I really loved Emma's voice throughout the book. She's so sassy and sarcastic, but sensitive as well - the perfect balance between the hard-headed heroine and a scared teenage girl. I found myself often laughing or agree
Eugenia (Genie In A Book)
This book had me hooked from the first page
And I am glad to say that I still was until the very last

Life in a human zoo is nothing that Emma David would have ever thought possible - however, that is where she ended up after dying in a car accident and waking up in a futuristic utopian world. Desperate to escape she tries anything to escape from the Keepers and people from different times staring and gawking at her every move.

This book was great for many reasons:

1) A HUMAN ZOO - how creepy and co
Zaria

3.5 STARS

Emma

I died in a totally preventable car accident . . . or so I thought. When I opened my eyes, I was shocked to discover that I had been resurrected into the year 2282 and, just as unbelievably, was locked up in a zoo! A HUMAN ZOO!

Kale

I was a prisoner who was over two hundred years away from my family and friends.

Loved the story line, kept me entertained but it was too slow towards the end....
Emma, is at time rude and unlikeable. Kale is a great guy and at first i thought that she doe
Angela
I loved this book! Lately I've been feeling that most dystopian books have been boring due to them all having the same story line yet different characters. This book totally brought me out of my reading slump! What are wild idea for a book! I was wondering if Zoo was going to be such a crazy idea that it wouldn't fit together. But it all blended perfectly and made the entire thing creepily believable. The characters were great and I connected with them. I love the world that was created even tho ...more
Candice
“I can feel his soul through his lips. It’s telling me a story of agony over how long it’s waited for this moment and how it never wants to end.” Pure poetry.

Tara Elizabeth has created a brilliant story revolving around a young woman named Emma, and her struggle for life, love, and a future. Emma is taken from imminent death and placed into a world where she is trapped behind glass and gawked at like an animal exhibit at the zoo. Insane right?! Definitely the kind of book I like to read :)

All th
Donna
This awesome book deserves 10 stars! This is truly one of the best YA books I've ever read.

Emma is a headstrong, independent girl who died in a car crash. But before she actually dies, she is taken by the future and put in a human zoo. She hates it there and tries to escape, who wouldn't? She is brave, snarky, sarcastic, but her heart is good while she is trying to escape the zoo and not live like an animal on display.

This book is fast-paced and I absolutely could not put it down. The story is r
Donna

This book is fast-paced and I absolutely could not put it down. The story is r
Brianna
I'd like to thank the author for giving a free copy of this book, in exchange for my honest review.

This book was a really unique dystopian. I have never heard of one where people who die are taken to a future zoo, and are locked up for the future's people's entertainment. That is what drew me to this book, and I'm glad to say that I was not disappointed.

The heroine of this book, Emma, was not someone who I immediately liked. She was very determined to escape her situation, and I appreciated
Sheri (Tangled Up In Books)
Originally posted on my blog!! :) :)

I wasn't sure what to expect, I mean reading the synopsis I knew I wanted to take a chance because it's a very unique and original idea in my opinion. I've never read anything like it or heard anything like it. If it was done right it had so much potential to be amazing. I definitely didn't expect to be captivated by this world so completely. It was absolutely done right!

Emma is fantastic. She's stubborn and fiesty and just the right amount of sarcastic. It i
Kysha
Apr 24, 2013 Kysha marked it as to-read
Shelves: digital-book
I was given a copy of this book by the author, Tara Elizabeth.

The concept of a human zoo is not new, think gladiators, but still disturbing. Other reviewers have stated that Zoo has a Hunger Games feel and I agree.

Emma, the main character, starts off a typical 2013 teenage brat. Her enclosure mate, Janice, is still stoned. I guess when they healed her body they couldn’t fix her rotted brain. Josephine added humor with her terrible singing, but she also kind and caring. James made me suspicious f
Miss Literati
When you think of dying, you probably don’t think of waking up in the year 2282 and finding yourself in a human zoo – or should I say, the People’s Past Anthropological Center. But that is exactly what happened to Emma David in ZOO, the first installment of The Enclosure Chronicles, by Tara Elizabeth. Insane, right?

Emma David was ordinary. Too busy to have a social life, she spent most of her time studying, determined to go to a University as far away from her hometown as possible. But Emma neve
Heather Sowalla
Apr 17, 2013 Heather Sowalla marked it as to-read
I just finished zoo by Tara Elizabeth. It is different than what I expected but very good. To think that in the future people can go back in time and claim the lives of those that passed away ... kinda scary to think about to be sure.. But it is fascinating at the same time. I found that romance bloomed in the book as much as unsettling, etc. The only thing I could think of is that if I were to die I hope that I move on to heaven and not live in one of these futuristic zoos where people come to ...more
LMS
Emma is a typical teen. After thinking she died in a car crash, she wakes up in a future world and gets thrown into a Zoo. Mating is mandatory. Performing for the public is a must. It's enough to make anyone crazy and try stupid things. As the story progresses, Emma grows as a person. The love/romance aspect of the story is good and surprising. There is a twist at the end that surprised me. And the ending was AWESOME! Great stand-alone book, but definitely want more!

I LOVE INDIE AUTHORS!!!
Emily
When I first stumbled across Zoo by Tara Elizabeth, I knew I had to read it. For me, it seemed to be a book with an interesting premise that was a both different than anything else I have ever read and out of my comfort zone. That was what I wanted.

After adding the book to my to-read list, like others, I was contacted by the author, Tara Elizabeth (who was very friendly), about the possibility of receiving a free copy of her book in exchange for my completely honest review. Excited about the op
Lindsey
This was probably the most creative concept I have read in a long time. The author was able to present some pretty incredible ideas but still had the information to make it feel plausible. The needed information was also presented in a natural way and didn't feel forced. The author trusted the reader enough to follow along and figure things out as the character did.

I enjoyed the characters. They were well developed and easy to believe. I loved the personality twists the author threw in there an
Mandy (I read Indie) Anderson
Can you imagine living in an enclosure having people gawk at you like animals in the zoo? It is beyond my thinking. Oh that could never happen to us. Really? Because the world is so perfect right now? Ok, so yeah, maybe it could happen. One of these days maybe. Well that is what happened to Emma. One minute she is sending a text to a friend (while driving) and the next she is sitting in a white room about to be whisked off to a fate worse than death. And this is just the beginning of her story.

I
Nanette Territa-prejean
An engaging story...a creative and plausible premise, given the way ever-evolving technology makes the impossible possible. ZOO is a story of time travel, adventure, romance, suspense and personal transformation. Emma begins her heroine's journal as a typical 17 y/o high school senior ready "to discover who I really am, away from everything I had ever known." She thought in the opening pages of her narrative that this would take the form of attending an out of state college. Instead, she finds h ...more
YA Creative Critic Chick
I got the honor of reviewing this book before it went live! WOW! What a great book! 5 Stars All The Way!

Zoo is a total genre bender with unexpected twists and turns. Fantastic ending that was actually an ending. It has amazing world building. And the main character is a realistic young adult. She has struggles, she’s quick to judge, and she’s hardheaded, but in the end she knows what’s right. Emma was an awesome heroine on a mind-blowing journey. A Must Read! This is why I love reading Indie . .
R. Rose
I really enjoyed this book. At first, I thought it made me feel a little scattered. Before long I had started to get a feel for the characters and the more I read the more I liked the book. I had estimated that it would take me a week to read and review this book, but I finished it in 10 hours. Zoo was a very enjoyable read and I have already placed an order for the paperback version to add to my home library. I give it five stars because I would (and will) read it again and again. Thank you Tar ...more
Tracey
So good! Could not stop reading this book! There was a good twist in it. There were funny moments. I liked the quirky chapter titles. I really enjoyed that fact that the MC was a real girl. She didn't start out as "Snow White"- all innocent and nice. She was real. And she grew as she went through her traumatic experience. Great original story/idea!!!
Mondae Roberson
I really loved this book. It was such a novel concept that I had never heard before. I have always had mixed feelings about the animal zoo having grown up in San Diego we went to the zoo a lot. This book personified some of those ethical question very well. I'm looking forward to reading Tara's next book. I really like her writing style.
Lonnie
I am soooooo glad I found this book! It's so different than anything I've read lately. The concept was so original and was believable as a something that could become our future. There were a few funny parts in this book, some unexpected twists, and good characters. The world building was spot-on! LOVED IT!!!
Becca
Jumping right in....I almost am considering a 2.5 stars but i think the very last half of the book saved this to a three stars, and mind you a 2 stars doesn't mean i hated it, it just means i thought it was okay, i got by what it says when you hover over it.

Song Choice: True Affection by The Blow, only Kale would be the girl singing the song (representative-ly of course, and the boy "she" is singing about would be Emma)

First thoughts: Um God i don't think that this is a good idea. Alright I rea
Molly
I received this from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I found this book maybe a week ago in the giveaway section. I was extremely excited to read this book once I found that it was dystopian (my obsession at the moment) and after I read the synopsis. It had gotten amazing reviews, so, of course, I entered the giveaway.
I was contacted yesterday by the author who offered me a free copy in exchange for an honest review. I accepted immediately and downloaded it before I went to my class
Julie
Upon first reading the synopsis for this book, I wasn't completely hooked. The idea of a human zoo is a little out there. But I'm a fan of Tara Elizabeth's writing. She's very creative and I wanted to see how the story played out, and this book doesn't disappoint. She pulled it off!

The story starts out meeting Emma. Emma rubbed me the wrong way at first, she's very head strong and makes silly decisions and you just want to shake her and scream "what are you thinking?!" But Despite not liking he
Rebecca Rakes
I read this book in one day. I couldn't put it down. At first the idea of a human zoo seems sort of hokie but it is described wonderfully and real.
Emma dies in a car accident texting and wakes up in the future and told she will part of an exhibit to show different civilizations. It's written in first person, past tense so we understand how she feels and she talks in a real conversationalist tone.
There are several different characters and each reacts to their containment in their own way mak
Cerenity
I really loved this story. This book reminded me a lot of the Hunger Games, which i love. I did not like Emma character at the beginning she was annoying and whinny. But she grew as a person through the trails that she faced. You really grow to either hate or love all of the characters in the story. It is a very unique but enjoyable read. The idea that humans would be put in a zoo for other humans to watch is crazy but this story makes it seems believable. If you are looking for a new book about ...more
Paula
I just loved pretty much everything about this book and I can't wait to read book 2. I'm also excited to read Exalted. I thought the idea of the zoos (and how people ended up in the zoos) was very original. Tara Elizabeth describes herself as writing "with a splash of romance and a hint of sarcasm". Both contribute to how much I loved this story and the main characters. I can't really write much because I don't want to give anything away but I highly recommend this book for fans of Dystopian/Sci ...more
Elisha Rodriguez
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. This is a great sifi young adult book. It follows Emma as she is taken away from evertything she knows and is placed in a completely alien enviroment. Emma is forced to look at life with out the filter of her cell phone and social obligations. She has to look at the world around her forcing her to come to terms with who she is. It is a classic coming of age story with a sifi twist.
  • Foreverland is Dead (Foreverland, #2)
  • After the Fear
  • Kniam (Terraneu #1)
  • Finding Jess (First Wave, #2)
  • Doctor Who The Encyclopedia
  • Breeder (Arrow's Flight, #1)
  • Angel (Pieces #1.5)
  • Of Another Dimension
  • Operation Hydra (Ontarian Chronicles, # 2)
  • Scent of Salvation (Chronicles of Eorthe, #1)
  • Sycamore
  • Shalia's Diary: Book 1 (Clans of Kalquor, #3.5)
  • Olivia
  • Venomous (Alien Warrior, #1)
  • Lucy in the Sky
  • Casey's Warriors (Bondmates, #1)
  • Eden (Eden, #1)
  • Rogue (Exceptional, #2)
I write Young Adult Fiction, mostly Dystopian/Sci-Fi novels with a splash of Romance and a hint of sarcasm. I'm also a graphic artist, wife, mother, and Red Vine lover. I grew up in the Deep South surrounded by bayous, magnolia trees, crawfish and great people. My culture is a huge part of my life, and you can see some of those details in my writing.

Novels By Tara Elizabeth:
Zoo
Exalted (Exalted Tri
More about Tara Elizabeth...

The Enclosure Chronicles (2 books)
  • Rebel (The Enclosure Chronicles, #2)
Exalted Denounced (Exalted, #2) United (Exalted, #3) Rebel (The Enclosure Chronicles, #2) Journeys - Bayou Writers Group Anthology Volume 1

“I can feel his soul through his lips. It's telling me a story of agony over how long it's waited for this moment and how it never wants it to end.” 3 likes