Start by marking “An Untamed Heart” as Want to Read:
An Untamed Heart

An Untamed Heart (Red River of the North 0.5)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  349 ratings  ·  67 reviews
The Long-Awaited Prequel to the RED RIVER OF THE NORTH Series
Published October 1st 2013 by Bethany House Publishers (first published September 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about An Untamed Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Untamed Heart

Kristin
I’ve really liked other works by this author and I wanted to like this book because the cover is absolutely stunning.

Unfortunately, my expectations really fell short. I've actually put off writing this review because I was hoping that maybe I would come to view it differently.

I’m kind of disappointed in how this one worked out. I just wasn’t expecting to dislike this book so much and I don’t think I’ll read the rest of the series.

The everyday chores and tasks took up so much of the book that I
Beth His handmaiden
Ingeborg Strand is not the kind of young lady that falls for every handsome face and smooth tongue. But when she does fall in love she falls hard, on a handsome university student from Oslo. This is more than she had ever hoped for, to be truly "in love".
But when an untimely accident claims his life she begins to despair. Is God really in all of this? Is there really a purpose for everything she has been through?
It all seems too cruel when a widower with a young son asks her to go along with h
Chelsea
I loved the thought of this story: How a girl falls in love, but an accident happens and she loses her love, and then she must make a decision of whether or not to marry another man who she doesn't love. All of that really fascinated me. I really liked how the siblings and friends helped each other out, reminds me of my family. But when I read the story I couldn't get into the story, then it took till the middle of the book to get to the story line, and the end felt rushed. With this, I still in ...more
Marianne
UFF-DA but I love Ingeborg! And to join her on her beloved mountain during the summer, with her dearest friend, cousin Gunlaug is to come home again. I have read all of Lauraine's novels, and each one is as special as the one before. This one tells the story of Ingebord in her homeland of Norway, of her home life and her loves! As always, I feel like I am walking side by side with her, seeing her lovely mountain, spinning wool and shearing sheep, and interacting with her siblings and cousins.
R
Jalynn Patterson
About the Book:

The Long-Awaited Prequel to the RED RIVER OF THE NORTH Series
Twenty-year-old Ingeborg Strand is certain she is destined to be an old maid. She's had several suitors but none she deemed worthy of spending her life with. That is, until she meets a university student from Oslo, and feelings stronger than friendship begin to develop between them. But tragedy strikes, and the future begins to look bleaker than ever.
Grief settles heavily over Ingeborg, and her mother suggests that she
Maria
An Untamed Heart by Lauraine Snelling is the prequel to the Red River of the North series. I absolutely loved all the books about Ingeborg's family so I was super excited to read it. But I was also kinda leery. Would it be interesting even though I knew the outcome? Would it lack the same flavor as the other books in the series? As soon as I started reading it, all my doubts vanished. Even though the ending was inevitable, there was so many new things I learned about Ingeborg and her family. I e ...more
Hope
Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness how long I have waited for this book! I was so excited to get an ARC copy of this from Bethany House Publishers!!! Had I not been in the middle of the very last book in another Christian series I would have dropped everything to read it immediately, the wait was excruciating! :-D

Oh but the wait was worth it! As a long time lover of Lauraine Snelling's Red River series I was so tickled to think she would go back to the very beginning and write Ingebo
Erin
I have a guilty pleasure. It's kind of embarrassing. I've shared it before and I'm sharing it again. Christian Prairie Romance. Yep, you can laugh. It's okay. A few years ago I found a series that I fell in love with. Red River of the North, by Lauraine Snelling. Have you read it? I love how strong and resourceful the women are. I almost feel like you could keep some of these books as a reference for when times get hard. ;)
In all honesty, the characters became very real to me and I thoroughly en
Crystal
An Untamed Heart is a charming visit to an 1870s Norwegian family farm and all that encompasses. In many ways this made me think of this story as a Norwegian Little House on the Prairie book with all of the interesting descriptions of farming life.
I love the way that Lauraine Snelling weaves the family's faith through all the work that they do. They don't set aside time for it. It is part and parcel of every day life.
The main character, Ingeborg Strand, is an intriguing mix. She loves the life
Art
I enjoyed it. I like Lauraine Snelling's style of writing and I enjoy reading about folks coming from the old world and to the New World.
My Wife's Mothers side of the Family came from this part of the world to the Dakota's roughly same time as Ingeborg Strand/Bjorklund.

I grew up on the farm and miss some of the work that went with it. Along w/being outside.
Kristine Morgan
Finally we discover what has made Ingeborg Bjorkland the woman that she is in Lauraine Snelling's Red River of the North Series. This book details Ingeborg's last year in Norway and tells how she ended up married to Roald Bjorkland and Thorliff's mother. I really enjoyed the plot and would recommend this book to everyone that loves The red River of the north series.
Sverre
Having read the Red River of the North series, I was looking forward to this prequel. Maybe my anticipation was too high. I found most of this book to be bland and tiresome, perhaps a forced effort, and an unnecessary addition to the series to keep the money rolling in. This book is about mainly two subjects: how to operate a seter and the budding relationship between the character Nils Aarvidson from ‘Oslo’ and Ingeborg from Valdres. The first subject may not catch everyone’s fascination; provi ...more
Lyssa
Full disclosure- I skimmed a lot and didn't finish it.

I realize it's kind of petty to take issue with a book because of something like names, and the author was being authentic to the culture, but she didn't have to choose names like Ingeborg and Gunlaug for the main characters... even Ingeborg's sisters had better names. Lots of heavy G and R sounds which make make it hard to chew through.

But I could overlook this if I fell in love with the characters or even found them mildly interesting. But
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I didn't read the synopsis before I read this book, so I had no hint or warning about the tragedy. I also didn't realize it was a prequel to an already published series, so when the story ended, I was happily surprised to discover that I don't have to wait to start the next book! I even had the first book in the series already on my kindle since it is a freebie on Amazon :)
So, I love the character of Ingeborg. She is strong, industrious, compassionate, and thoughtful. There is much description
Melinda
Review originally posted on my blog at westmetromommy.blogspot.com
3.0 Stars

I absolutely adore Lauraine Snelling's Red River of the North Series (think, Little House on the Prairie for adults) and, when I found this prequel, I ordered it and it jumped to the top of my TBR pile.

There are a number of things in this book that I enjoyed. Snelling spends a great deal of time talking about life in 19th century Norway and a great deal of this takes place at the family's seter (the mountain pasture...I w
Virginia Campbell
"An Untamed Heart" is author Lauraine Snelling's prequel to her beloved "Red River of the North" series. We meet Ingeborg Strand as an unmarried woman of twenty, working alongside her family on their farm, and assisting her midwife mother with the delivery of babies and healing those in need. Her mother worries that Ingeborg is not serious enough about finding a husband, but her father takes pride in her abilities and allows her to work with helping him with farm tasks usually not assigned to wo ...more
Lisa

The main character, Ingeborg Strand, is an intriguing mix. She loves the life s
Paula-O
An Untamed Heart by Lauraine Snelling

This book was a prequel to the Red River of the North series that I had read before and knew I wanted to learn more about the character of Ingeborg Strand....Lauraine took me back with ease and I loved getting to know the young girl before she came to America.
If you love reading about strong families you are going to love this story. I loved the way the whole family loved and helped one another esp when they went to the high mountains in the summers and worke
Wendy
Ingeborg Strand loves the summer when several members of her family spend time at the Strand seter. It is a very busy time for them but they have a lot of fun and the best part is being away from her mother. Ingeborg loves her mother but she is constantly being criticized and feels like her mother doesn't like her. It is so peaceful at the seter, except this year. When a stranger, Nils Aarvidson, is found almost dead by the river, Ingeborg being the oldest has to figure out a way to get him up t ...more
Hope

Created for Home
I received An Untamed Heart by Lauraine Snelling through Bethany House for the purposes of this review. All opinions are mine and mine alone, no other compensation was received.

I remember several years ago when the Red River of the North series by Lauraine Snelling debuted. I was so excited, I grew up in that region of North Dakota and carry some of the accent with me still. I loved reading about the area’s early settlers, the Norse culture reasonated with me. The story of Ingeborg’s struggle as
Summer
I feel such a bond with Lauraine's characters-these books are an entertaining way to glimpse early America and the hardships suffered to settle. My ancestors are from Sweden, and my Great-Grandparents emigrated here in the 1900's. I love to read about what they may have gone through to get here! This book in the series is extra special because it expands our knowledge of Ingeborg's background and explains why she knows how to do so many things.
This book snagged my interest as I am familiar with Lauraine Snellings work, & her Red River Characters. I really enjoyed this story & the description of life in Norway in the 1800's. I found her mom's attitude towards her sad & wished that it had been explained. I haven't read all of the Red River of the North series though, so maybe it is in there somewhere. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series now & "catching" up with Ingeborg & family.
Kristi
This was a good book. It made me long to read the series again. The trouble with sequels though is that it was difficult to go from this book to the first book in the ND series because Ingaborg didn't mention any of her friends or relatives (or the man she fell in love with) in the following book or books. So it was a little disconnected because it was a prequel.
Elizabeth Dyck
Though I haven’t read any of the books in the Red River of the North series, I really enjoyed this book. I think it is a really good opening to a series even though it did come after the other books were all published.

Ingeborg is a really lovable character and the book was written in such a way that you can almost feel the emotions that she goes through during the time that the book was written.

After having read this book, I now plan on getting the other books in the series as soon as possible.

L
Monica
I enjoyed this book, but I did not realize it is a prequel -- so was unprepared for its abrupt, and disheartening ending. I am not sure if I want to read the series. But I did enjoy all the descriptions of their work at the seter (had to look that up) -- very interesting!!
Debbie Shawver
I'm so glad, Lauraine Snelling wrote this book, getting to see who Ingabord became part of the Bjorkland family was a treat. Since I read all the Bjorkland books, I have come to love these characters like friends.

An Untamed Heart was a book filled with love and loss. Which I love.
Christy
I could see the mountainous views and envision days of making cheese and sheering sheep. I could sense how tired one might be from a long day cutting hay. I could feel the joy of family around the table at the seter over a bowl of porridge. My heart ached with love lost and a new journey to begin. Like most good reads for me it wasn't perfect like maybe I would have written it; but it probably would not have imitated life as well either. One of the finest in Christian Historical that I have read ...more
Jane
I feel like I've been to Norway and back. The Seter was a lot of hard work but seemed so beautiful a place to be.
Nils loved the mountains and found his true love there. But a tragic accident claimed his life on the way to join up with her.
Ingeborg had a fun loving family until the death of an uncle caused a split. Two brothers divided over land and property along with grief over losing their brother. It happens.
Life's hardships may make Ingeborg wonder where God is in all of it. We all do at ti
Rhonda Walker
I was so thrilled to find this prequel loved I had already loved Ingeborg and her family. It was nice getting to know who she was before coming to America and she became Roald's wife.
  • The Miner's Lady (Land of Shining Water #3)
  • Under a Blackberry Moon (Michigan Northwoods, #3)
  • Rebellious Heart
  • Plain Peace (Daughters of the Promise #6)
  • Fair Play (It Happened at the Fair, #2)
  • With Every Breath
  • Caught in the Middle (Ladies of Caldwell County, #3)
  • The Jewel of His Heart (Heart of the West, #2)
  • A Home in Drayton Valley (Heart of the Prairie #9)
  • Heart of Gold
  • Blowing on Dandelions (Love Blossoms in Oregon #1)
  • Fired Up (Trouble in Texas, #2)
  • A Bride for Keeps (Unexpected Brides, #1)
  • A Home for My Heart
  • A Beauty So Rare (Belmont Mansion, #2)
  • Burning Sky
  • A Talent for Trouble (Ladies of Distinction, #3)
Lauraine Snelling is the award-winning author of over seventy books, with sales of more than 2 million copies.

She also writes for a wide range of magazines, and helps others reach their writing dreams by teaching at writers’ conferences across the country.

Lauraine and her husband, Wayne, have two grown sons, and live in the Tehachapi Mountains with a watchdog Basset named Winston.

They love to tra
More about Lauraine Snelling...
Ruby (Dakotah Treasures, #1) Pearl (Dakotah Treasures, #2) An Untamed Land (Red River of the North, #1) A Promise for Ellie (Daughters of Blessing, #1) Amethyst (Dakotah Treasures, #4)