Start by marking “Eat Q: Unlock the Weight-Loss Power of Emotional Intelligence” as Want to Read:
Eat Q: Unlock the Weight-Loss Power of Emotional Intelligence

Eat Q: Unlock the Weight-Loss Power of Emotional Intelligence

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Susan Albers, Psy.D. presents a groundbreaking three-step program for conquering emotional eating—a practical, prescriptive, proactive approach using Emotional Intelligence that will help you slim down, eat healthfully and mindfully, and keep the pounds off.

Introduced by the author of the bestselling The Hormone Cure, Sara Gottfried MD, Eat.Q. goes beyond traditional diet
Published October 8th 2013 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Eat Q, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat Q

Lize
Jan 25, 2015 Lize rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik vind de boeken van Susan Albers goede zelfhulfboeken. Het zijn dan ook wel echt "doeboeken", als je ze gewoon leest heb je er niet veel aan. Ze wisselt voorbeelden uit de praktijk af met eigen ervaringen, theorie en resultaten van onderzoeken en experimenten. Die afwisseling maakt het boek tot een leuk geheel en niet te zwaar. Je kan ook kiezen wat je leest en waar je aan wilt werken, als bepaalde thema's nog te moeilijk zijn sla je die (even) over en ga je naar het volgende.

In het begin van
Francis
Nov 16, 2014 Francis rated it it was ok
In Eat Q, Dr. Susan Albers had given a good job in defining very clearly what is emotional intelligence, and her book has given us a deep insight of emotional intelligence, together with Mindful Eating, a concept she coined during her years of consulting patients. However, I do not deemed fit Eat Q to be suitable for people who want to lose weight.

I find that the writing style of the book tends to be too academical. Yes, I agree that Eat Q is being informational in supporting all Dr. Albers's th
Tracy
Dec 03, 2014 Tracy rated it liked it
I believe this book is really designed for people who know how and what to eat to be healthy and lose weight - but find that they don't do so or get tripped up by stress and emotional situations. I'm in that camp. Susan Albers combines behavioral research and anecdotes from her private practice to illustrate how we lose touch with our emotions and how that shows up in our eating habits. Lots of tips and suggestions and lots of acronyms.

So why three stars? I found it a bit repetitious at points
Amy
Some useful tools for mindful eating but a bit long for me. I think it would have been more helpful to have just the tools in a shorter book with just a brief introduction. Time will tell if the tools are helpful.
Joey
Dec 10, 2015 Joey rated it it was amazing
A non-traditonal book that helps readr losses weight. I always believe in mindfulness and this author brings eating mindfulness to a higher level.

If you examine your relationship with food closely, you will find you have some unhealthy habits or preference to eating. Be it you crave certain food at times, you can't stip munching, or you overeat. The author helps clients and us tackle these eating problems large and small, by providing concrete background knowledge, advices and exercises.

I not o
Lynne Page
Apr 20, 2016 Lynne Page rated it it was amazing
This book is a life changer.

As someone who has always struggled with my weight, my self-esteem, and my boredom eating, this book has been a real eye opener and has given me new tools to help not only cope with how I deal with food, but also with how to make my life better in all aspects.

I picked this book up because I am studying Emotional Intelligence right now, but this was much more of a handbook in how to manage your emotions than the original textbooks actually are.

If you're tired of all
Deb
Nov 07, 2013 Deb rated it it was amazing
** Raise your Eat.Q.!**

Put down those diet books, and raise your Eat.Q. instead.

A synthesis of the concepts of emotional intelligence (EI), emotional eating, and mindfulness, Eat.Q. is the capacity to make healthy food choices from an insight-driven mindset vs. an emotion-driven one.

To raise your Eat.Q., Susan Albers presents her EAT method (which, thankfully, is anything but a diet!):
"A combination of mindfulness and emotion-regulation skills adapted from the EI model, EAT helps you harness you
Online Eccentric Librarian
Jul 24, 2014 Online Eccentric Librarian rated it really liked it

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Eat Q is a straightforward and somewhat dense book about understanding the emotional and psychological reasons for overeating (and how to approach the changes needed to fix that behavior). Unlike diets, which most often rely on eating less food or only certain types of food, Eat Q goes to the root of the matter and explains all the complex motivators, triggers, signals, and impulses that so often causes the weight in the
Phredric
Aug 29, 2014 Phredric rated it it was ok
A book that can't make up it's mind if it's an academic text/research summary or a self-help book. There's some interesting stuff but the book book is overlong, dense and quite dryly written. The method - stripped of the mnenomics and formula is before you eat ... stop, breathe and think.
Karen
Aug 03, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-diet
This book is full of usable, practical tips for making changes to eating and eating habits.
Leenda dela Luna
Jul 10, 2014 Leenda dela Luna rated it it was ok
Yet another book which assumed and told me:
1. I have low self esteem
2. I feel extreme guilt if I overeat
3. When I feel guilt for overeating, I eat more
4. (new twist) I am obsessed with chocolate

... none of which are accurate. Therefore, I found most of the advice and tips to be useless. But I passed the book on to a friend who's more receptive to "you do everything wrong and hate yourself for it; here's how to stop".
Lauren
Jun 18, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent work on mindful eating!
Barbara Reese
Feb 14, 2014 Barbara Reese marked it as book-club-suggestions
Kathy
Sara Goldenberg
Wow did she go on. Like her other books!
Joni
Aug 14, 2014 Joni rated it liked it
My schedule right now only allowed for a quick perusal of this book, but there was definitely some good stuff in there about how our emotions are tied to our eating habits and how we can overcome negative emotions and habits when it comes to food. This might be one that I buy down the road so I have it for reference when I'm trying to focus on more mindful eating.
Jessica
Feb 20, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Very interesting way of trying to control poor eating with the use of emotional intelligence. Not a diet book, but a suggested new theory of paying attention to your food - with lots of real research sources used, personal anecdotes from people making change, and exercises too.
Danielle Langlois
Dec 14, 2013 Danielle Langlois rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Ties in nicely with all the others I have read about changing eating habits. I highly recommend this book to anyone who struggles with their eating. It has great tools to help you get to the bottom of your struggle and ton of practical tools to help change your habits & mindset.
Dora
Mar 17, 2016 Dora rated it it was ok
I did not like this book. That is not to say that it is a bad book, but as an obese woman it felt like another let's blame the fat person for being emotionally immature books. The more I read the less I thought that the author's premise was valid.
Lea  Bowski
There's some good stuff in here and I appreciate the mindfulness approach to eating, something I need to work on more, but I feel like the presentation was a bit chaotic.
Jaymie
Oct 20, 2013 Jaymie rated it really liked it
This really gave me things to think about - new insights into the thought and emotional processes at work as I make choices about health and eating.
Amy
Dec 18, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Good book on changing your eating habits. Really thinking about why I'm feeling something is helping me to control my eating a little more.
Valerie
May 26, 2015 Valerie rated it really liked it
Good tools, and a nice counterpart to Intuitive Eating!
dyanna
May 15, 2016 dyanna rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Liz Winn
Liz Winn rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Jaymee-Lee
Jaymee-Lee marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Sara Ouda
Sara Ouda marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Aya Eldighady
Aya Eldighady is currently reading it
May 26, 2016
Cynthia Harrison
Cynthia Harrison rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Lis
Lis marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
jennifer hendricks
jennifer hendricks is currently reading it
May 17, 2016
  • Soft-Wired: How the New Science of Brain Plasticity Can Change Your Life
  • LIFE: You're Doing It Wrong - Why People Don't Get Better Results from Self Improvement ... And what to do about it
  • The Need to Please: Mindfulness Skills to Gain Freedom from People Pleasing and Approval Seeking
  • Shooting with Soul: 44 Photography Exercises Exploring Life, Beauty and Self-Expression
  • The Power of Meditation: An Ancient Technique to Access Your Inner Power
  • Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 7 Powerful Tools for Life and Work
  • Kale and Coffee: A Renegade’s Guide to Health, Happiness, and Longevity
  • The Natural Stress Solution
  • Mad House: The Hidden History of Insane Asylums in 19th-century New York
  • Life Stinks... and Then You Die: Living Well in a Sick World
  • Confidence: Biblical Truths for Discovering God's Potential for You
  • Stairway to Awesomeness!: 30 Fundamental Steps to Living a Life of Awesomeness!
  • 8 Keys to Stress Management
  • The Tell: The Little Clues That Reveal Big Truths about Who We Are
  • The Microbiome Diet: The Scientifically Proven Way to Restore Your Gut Health and Achieve Permanent Weight Loss
  • Allergic to Life: My Battle for Survival, Courage, and Hope
  • A Confident Heart Devotional: 60 Days to Stop Doubting Yourself
  • The Self-Esteem Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Build Confidence and Achieve Your Goals
Dr. Susan Albers is a psychologist at the Cleveland Clinic and the author of seven books. Her work has been quoted in O, the Oprah Magazine, the Wall Street Journal, Self Magazine and Natural Health. She provides mindful eating lectures at women's groups, organizations and colleges. Dr. Albers has been a guest on NPR and Dr. OZ T.V. show. www.eatingmindfully.com. Be a facebook fan https://www.face ...more
More about Susan Albers...