Eat Q: Unlock the Weight-Loss Power of Emotional Intelligence

Eat Q: Unlock the Weight-Loss Power of Emotional Intelligence

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  12 reviews
If you've ever asked yourself, "Why do I know how to eat healthier to lose weight but don't do it?" this is the perfect book for you.

Susan Albers, Psy.D., a psychologist at the Cleveland Clinic Family Health Center, has discovered that the key to successful weight loss is not physical exercise, calorie counting, or even willpower—it's emotional intelligence (EI). EI includ...more
Published October 8th 2013 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Eat Q, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat Q

Amy
Some useful tools for mindful eating but a bit long for me. I think it would have been more helpful to have just the tools in a shorter book with just a brief introduction. Time will tell if the tools are helpful.
Deb
** Raise your Eat.Q.!**

Put down those diet books, and raise your Eat.Q. instead.

A synthesis of the concepts of emotional intelligence (EI), emotional eating, and mindfulness, Eat.Q. is the capacity to make healthy food choices from an insight-driven mindset vs. an emotion-driven one.

To raise your Eat.Q., Susan Albers presents her EAT method (which, thankfully, is anything but a diet!):
"A combination of mindfulness and emotion-regulation skills adapted from the EI model, EAT helps you harness you...more
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews at the Online Eccentric Librarian  http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Eat Q is a straightforward and somewhat dense book about understanding the emotional and psychological reasons for overeating (and how to approach the changes needed to fix that behavior). Unlike diets, which most often rely on eating less food or only certain types of food, Eat Q goes to the root of the matter and explains all the complex motivators, triggers, signals, and impulses that so often causes the weight in the...more
Karen
This book is full of usable, practical tips for making changes to eating and eating habits.
Leenda dela Luna
Yet another book which assumed and told me:
1. I have low self esteem
2. I feel extreme guilt if I overeat
3. When I feel guilt for overeating, I eat more
4. (new twist) I am obsessed with chocolate

... none of which are accurate. Therefore, I found most of the advice and tips to be useless. But I passed the book on to a friend who's more receptive to "you do everything wrong and hate yourself for it; here's how to stop".
Lauren
excellent work on mindful eating!
Barbara Reese
Feb 14, 2014 Barbara Reese marked it as book-club-suggestions
Kathy
Joni
My schedule right now only allowed for a quick perusal of this book, but there was definitely some good stuff in there about how our emotions are tied to our eating habits and how we can overcome negative emotions and habits when it comes to food. This might be one that I buy down the road so I have it for reference when I'm trying to focus on more mindful eating.
Jessica
Very interesting way of trying to control poor eating with the use of emotional intelligence. Not a diet book, but a suggested new theory of paying attention to your food - with lots of real research sources used, personal anecdotes from people making change, and exercises too.
Danielle Langlois
Love this book. Ties in nicely with all the others I have read about changing eating habits. I highly recommend this book to anyone who struggles with their eating. It has great tools to help you get to the bottom of your struggle and ton of practical tools to help change your habits & mindset.
Jaymie
This really gave me things to think about - new insights into the thought and emotional processes at work as I make choices about health and eating.
Amy
Good book on changing your eating habits. Really thinking about why I'm feeling something is helping me to control my eating a little more.
K
K marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Dasha Panasyuk
Dasha Panasyuk marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Bill Hendrick
Bill Hendrick is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2014
Ryan Gardner
Ryan Gardner marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Jen
Jen is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Ann
Ann is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
S
S added it
Jul 04, 2014
Ashley Marlow
Ashley Marlow is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2014
Holly
Holly is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Heather Budney
Heather Budney is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2014
Torzilla
Torzilla marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Rebecca Bushby
Rebecca Bushby marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Dr. Susan Albers is a psychologist at the Cleveland Clinic and is the author of five books. Her work has been quoted in O, the Oprah Magazine, the Wall Street Journal, Self Magazine and Natural Health. She provides mindful eating lectures at women's groups, organizations and colleges. Dr. Albers has been a guest on NPR and Dr. OZ T.V. show. www.eatingmindfully.com
More about Susan Albers...
Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating and Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food Eat, Drink, and Be Mindful But I Deserve This Chocolate!: The Fifty Most Common Diet-Derailing Excuses and How to Outwit Them The Mindful Appetite: Practices to Transform Your Relationship with Food