Start by marking “What Happens Between Friends” as Want to Read:
What Happens Between Friends

What Happens Between Friends (In Shady Grove #2)

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Friends…with benefits?

For Sadie Nixon, life is one big adventure with something new around the corner. And anytime she needs a break, she can always rely on James Montesano—the best guy she knows. This time when she arrives in Shady Grove, however, something is different. There's a little extra between her and James that has them crossing the li...more
Published August 6th 2013 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about What Happens Between Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Happens Between Friends

Yaseena
2 stars

This book started out well in the first chapter but quickly took a landslide and it was all because of the thoroughly unlikable, selfish, judgmental and seriously irritating heroine.

I'm a sucker for friends to lovers storylines, love reading about characters with history - a shared past that defines them and links them together. I was compelled by this story at the beginning. I found James, the hero, endearing and sweet, gentle and caring. But from the outset I was uncertain about Sadi...more
Emma
Fantastic ! As with any great read it was all over too soon unfortunately. The story between Sadie and James was heart-wrenching and delicious. They've been best friends for 20 years with Sadie travelling around the US and James deeply rooted in Shady Grove. He's her rock, she's his heart... Things were bound to get messy one day or the other.
I love how Beth Andrews handled the unriquited love storyline and the shift of dynamics in Sadie and Jamie's apparent steady relationship. It was a pure pl...more
Susan
Good book that was very emotional. Sadie is the proverbial rolling stone. She doesn't stay anywhere for very long. She had spent most of her childhood in Shady Grove, with James as her best friend. Even after she left she could always count on James to be there for her. When she came back this time something was different and she found herself not sure if she wanted to stay or go.

I loved James. He has always been Sadie's best friend, but lately he's had to admit that he wants more. When she come...more
Lisa
Sadie has run back home after her most recent string of failures and expects everything to be the same as always with her BFF Jamie. Sadie has always lived a life of adventure, only going home to regroup after failing at one career or relationship or another. She idolizes her father, who passed away when she was a child, for his free spirit and his quest for adventure. For the first 9/10th of the book she is outright scornful of her mom for settling down after his death, and of her sister and fr...more
Mandi Schreiner
I liked this one but it has one of the most rushed, unresolved endings I've ever read!!

Sadie is terrified of commitment - and after her best friend tells her he loves her, their friendship goes from best friends to almost enemies because she can't return the sentiment.

Some other GR reviews mentions how unlikable Sadie is. I never felt that way. She fully understands her faults..I found her flawed yet well developed. I loved how her mother treats her (with a firm hand) and I even liked how her s...more
Rita
I really thought that I was going to like this book, but the heroine ruined it for me. She was extremely selfish, and I hated the way that she talked to her mother. She was constantly criticizing her and just about everyone in the book. James was fabulous, and I couldn't understand why he was so in love with Sadie. She completely took him for granted. He deserved much better than her.

I did like Eddie and Leo, and if they have their own stories, I will read them. And even though she seemed compl...more
Fedora
Ms. Andrews continues her Shady Grove series with What Happens Between Friends, a friends-to-lovers story. James Montesano's been Sadie Nixon's rock for years--she's always got a plan and there's a new adventure to be had, but she's always returned home to James in between.

Usually friends-to-lovers is one of my favorite tropes, but to be honest, while Ms. Andrews's writing and characterizations and storytelling are as well done as before, I just didn't like or connect with Sadie's character. I t...more
Jackie (Jackie's Book World)
Review can also be found at:Jackie's Book World Blog :)

*ARC provided by Netgalley*

What Happens Between Friends is a story about Sadie and James and how their friendships ends up turning into something more. When Sadie Nixon comes back to the small town of Shady Grove for Jame's birthday, she wasn't expecting to see a new James. On the other hand, James has always been there for Sadie. He feels protective towards her and he'll do anything to make her happy. But he is holding a secret; a secret t...more
Sheri (Tangled Up In Books)
Originally posted on my blog: Tangled Up In Books

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and Harlequin in exchange for an honest review.

I actually got this one off NetGalley last year sometime, but life happened and the review never got written. So I figured I'd quickly skim through the book for a bit of a refresher, I seemed to find myself actually rereading it for the most part anyway because it started sucking me back in. You're probably thinking, "Brilliant! Another good one!" And whil...more
Mimi Lovell
This is the story of Sadie, a true free bird. Always on the go, moving from one town to another, one state to another, one job to another and one relationship to another. Her only constant she has had is her best friend, James. He is her rock, so dependable and reliable. He is always there for her when she needs help, or a shoulder to cry on, or in her current situation, when she comes home to lick her wounds and make enough money to move on to her next venture in life. Unknown to Sadie is that...more
Roz ~ My Written Romance
I have to say I haven't had a huge amount of luck with friends-to-lovers stories recently. What Happens Between Friends, despite employing one of my all-time favourite tropes, unfortunately fell a bit short for me.

It took three days on and off to finish this book, as I was in the middle of packing for the RWA conference in Fremantle while I was reading it. The other reason it took so long to read was that I very nearly didn't finish this book.

My main issue, and it is an important one for me, is...more
Hsiau Wei
Sadie has always been a carefree girl. Travelling from one place to another is a dream of her and she never has the qualms to leave at anytime she wants. Her free spirit extended to her relationship where she moves on from one relationship to another. The only thing that is long term with her is her friendship with James. James is her rock and has been all these years. Whenever she stumbles in her job, life or relationship, she has James to fall back to. Now she is back in town on James’birthday...more
Karen
I really enjoyed this book! I read some of the reviews after purchasing this book and I will admit, I was worried. but I really liked it! It drew me in and I couldn't wait to get to their HEA. I enjoyed the secondary characters too! So much so that I will definitely be reading the rest of the series!
Kate Vale
Messed up Sadie has been chasing ephemera for years, convinced she'll find what she's been looking for, convinced she'll be happy if she can just find it--and herself. It's not to be. But whenever she needs a friend, all she has to do is fall back into the arms of her best friend since was 10: James, a steady, hard-working member of his family's construction business.

Too bad James has been in love with Sadie, but hasn't dared to point this out to her.

What follows is a gradually dawning awareness...more
Karla(Book Addict)
This book promised to be more than what it accomplished.

the heroine is unlikable and judgemental more than half the book we hear her complain about everyone elses life choices, she´s despicable.

the plot is really slow and drags a lot. and the way this girl talks to her mother is just disgusting.

James as a character is ok, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I still can´t comprehend where the romance was supposed to be in this book cause the characters spend the whole book being nasty and hurting ea...more
Danielle
The story moved a bit slow for me and I never really go a sense of the feelings between the h/h. There really wasn't that much of a spark between them. They both spent most of the book not talking or if they were talking, fighting with one another. Not enough romance for my liking.

The heroine kind of got on my nerves. She's very selfish and doesn't think about her actions and how they affect the ones around her. Found her to be uncaring.

Felt like the ending was a bit rushed and I would have li...more
Wanda
This book was disappointing for me; I expected it to be so much better. I generally love the friends turning into lover’s stories, but this storyline didn’t do it for me. It seems to be lacking the chemistry and connection.

James was sweet, gentle and caring, really a sucker almost. Sadie had deeper issues and was hard to even like her. Sadie seems to hurt everyone around her, making bad choices and only thinking about herself.

The ending was far to rushed, and I didn’t like how it flowed at the...more
Tabby
Cozy small-town contemporary romance between carefree female lead and steady male character. Decent storyline and charming Southern family. The end felt a little rushed, but overall worth the time.

Net Galley Feedback
What Happens Between Friends
Beth Andrews
Mary
This book was ok. I really thought I would like it better. The girl was selfish, rude and can't understand why everyone doesn't want to live her life like she does. The guy was really great but I don't understand what he sees in her.
Harlequin Books
"Nice, realistic characters and spot-on emotions make this a solid read." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars

Miniseries: In Shady Grove
Category: Romance with More

Harlequin Books
Miniseries: In Shady Grove
Category: Romance with More
Received 4 stars @ RT Book Reviews
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Syreeta
Syreeta marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Amy Hays
Amy Hays marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Aurora
Aurora marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
209748
Romance Writers of America RITA® Award Winner Beth Andrews spends her time writing contemporary romance for Harlequin Superromance, sending checks to pay for her kids’ college tuition and composing texts that end up on her children’s twitter feeds. She loves coffee, hockey and happy endings.
More about Beth Andrews...
A Marine for Christmas (Harlequin Super Romance (Larger Print)) A Not-So-Perfect Past Not Without Her Family Unraveling the Past (The Truth About The Sullivans, #1) His Secret Agenda