Start by marking “The Accused (Mystere Parish: Family Inheritance, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Accused (Mystere Parish: Family Inheritance, #1)

The Accused (Mystere Parish: Family Inheritance #1)

After working as a cop in New Orleans, Carter Trahan is back in Mystere Parish, where his latest assignment seems like a joke: making sure Alaina LeBeau lives in her childhood home for two weeks to comply with her mother's will. But soon the sexy sheriff isn't laughing. Someone-or something-is stalking the beautiful defense lawyer, turning her once-grand mansion into a ...more
Published July 23rd 2013 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Accused, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accused

Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Mystere Parish:Family Inheritance series by Jana Deleon. Alaina LeBeau quits her job and discovers she has an opportunity to inherit her childhood home if she manages to stay in the place for 2 full weeks. Her "babysitter" is Carter Trahan, the local sheriff.

It was a good read but leaves you hanging at the end. Phfttttttttttttttt!
Rhonda
May 21, 2013 Rhonda rated it liked it

3 STARS

I kept debating on how to rank this book. I finally decided 3 stars which might be unfair. I was left with two many questions that guilty party did not seem to fit. Now it is the start to a trilogy so maybe the answers will fit better when all three books are together. I guess I will have to see.

I really like Jana's mudbug series of books so I will want to read the next two books and see if they all fit together better.
Alaina has not been to her family home since she was seven and her mot
Dana
Sep 23, 2013 Dana rated it liked it
Shelves: series-romance
This book was good, but it just started really slow for me. Even then, the story seemed to drag in places. I will be interested to read the next two installments of this trilogy to see what happens with the other two sisters.
Katie_la_geek
Sep 11, 2013 Katie_la_geek rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, ebook-arc

For this review and more visit my blog

The Accused was a really good thriller it managed to keep me guessing and at times majorly freak me out, but the romance let it down.

What The Accused does really well is scare the reader. This is not a horror but there were moments that were really tense and I was sitting in on the edge of my seat whilst reading. All of the dark scary moments happen in a spooky house full of hidden passage ways and entrances. It was a clever move from the author because ever
Jan 18, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Chills, goosebumps and a sexy bayou romance highlight this great mystery by Jana DeLeon.
Alaina conditionally inherits an incredible mansion in the swamps of Mystere Parish on the same day she resigns from her position at a prestigious Baton Rouge law firm. She's fed up with the politics of her firm, and crippled by the guilt and self-doubt caused by her first criminal case.
Returning to the small-town of Calais and the mansion where she lived until the age of seven, Alaina must live in the house
Hsiau Wei
Oct 24, 2013 Hsiau Wei rated it liked it
This book tell the story of Alaina who went back to her family home after being contacted by her family lawyer that her deceased mother’s will have left the family money to her and her two sisters. The only catch in the will is that she and her sisters are to stay in the house for two consecutive weeks but not necessary together within a year from the death of her stepfather. Alaina have just left the firm when she lost out her partnership to her colleague after losing a criminal suit case lead ...more
Dotti Elrick
Aug 15, 2013 Dotti Elrick rated it liked it
I've read this author's "Ghost In-Law" series and I really like her writing style.

This is the first book of the "Family Inheritance" series.

Three sisters who were separated at a very early age by their step-father after their mother's death, now stand to inherit her estate. But before that can happen, all three sisters need to be found and they all have to spend two weeks living in the mansion their mother owned. In the very small town of Calais Louisiana.

The first sister is located and set to
Bookadventurer
Split between 3 or 4 stars; I always love a Bayou setting. This reminded my strongly of another series this author wrote for Harlequin Intrigue: The Secret of Cypriere Bayou which I REALLY enjoyed. I'm disappointed that Ms. Deleon states she will not be writing any more books for Intrigue (http://janadeleon.com/harlequin-intri...), but I still have a few left and have downloaded one of her humorous mysteries: Louisiana Longshot.

I liked Carter Trahan, Sheriff of small town Calais, and Alaina LeB
Vi
Jul 20, 2013 Vi rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
"Her looks are not the problem."
"So there is a problem."
"The beautiful, cast-off daughter of an heiress turns up decades later after her evil stepfather's death to live in the big mansion of horrors, and you have to ask if there's a problem."

That sums up this book well. Except there are lot of problems. There's also the issue of the ghost that Alaina and the caretaker sees. This is not fully explained or resolved. It is book 1 in a trilogy so hopefully answers are provided in later books. There'
Michelle Poirier
Sep 03, 2016 Michelle Poirier rated it really liked it
Alexander Petkovski
Jul 23, 2013 Alexander Petkovski rated it liked it
The Accused is the first book in the Mystere Parish: Family Inheritance trilogy.

Alaina De Leon is one of the three sisters in De Leon family. After the death of her evil stepfather, Alaina must go to her hometown and stay in their bayou for two weeks in order to claim her late mother's inheritance. She goes there and she meets Carter. He is a cop and responsible for Alaina's safety.
An instant affection between them happens. From the start Alaina doesn't feel safe in the house that has many secr
Debbie Heaton
Jul 29, 2013 Debbie Heaton rated it it was amazing
In Deleon’s romantic suspense novel, after years of working as a cop in New Orleans, Carter Trahan chucks the city life and returns to Mystere Parish where he takes on the role of sheriff. His assignment: make sure Alaina LeBeau lives in her childhood home for two consecutive weeks to comply with her mother’s will. To Carter, this is a joke. But it doesn’t take long for his laughter to die as he realizes the currently unemployed attorney has gained a stalker. As the assailant turns Alaina’s ...more
Sandra Rae
Oct 07, 2013 Sandra Rae rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-intrigue
A creepy old house, mystery and a family inheritance, set in the swamps. The detective in me wants to explore and help with the mystery.
A young mother dies leaving three young girls with a step father who send them off to relatives to live. Now the girls are all grown up, the step father has passed on and the girls are being sought out and found to claim their inheritance, they just need to live on the grounds of the estate for two weeks, all within the same year.
Alaina is a top lawyer who just
Dawn Gee
Mar 01, 2016 Dawn Gee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good start to series

This is a really good short mystery. Alaina has walked into a spooky house full of mystery. She never expected that someone would try to kill her. Thank goodness Carter, the sheriff, is good at his job. Even better that he cares for Alaina and wants to protect her. I plan to buy book 2 right away. I have to find out what happens to the next sister.
Martha
Oct 29, 2013 Martha rated it really liked it
A fast-paced intriguing read. It rates 4.5 stars. While waiting in a doctor's office, I downloaded this book based on the recommendation of someone I met there. First time reading this author (it's always fun to discover someone new). Strange setting (spooky mansion) but quite timely for Halloween. This story kept me guessing until the end. Isn't that the mark of a good mystery?
Harlequin Books
"DeLeon really captures the creepiness of the Louisiana swamps, and she piles on the shivers in this atmospheric and compelling read." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 1/2 stars

Miniseries: Mystere Parish: Family Inheritance
Category: Suspense
Marcella
Review for all three books in this series: all three books were a fast and enjoyable read. The series plotline was well done, the plot line for each book was a bit contrived at times. All in all a nice series.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Mystere Parish: Family Inheritance
Category: Suspense
Received 4 1/2 stars @ RT Book Reveiws
Melanie
Aug 23, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing
cant wait to read the others! Ms jana is teaching me patience's. I don't think to can write fast enough for me! lol
Jodi
Jodi rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Virggies
Virggies rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2015
Beverly Gurganus
Beverly Gurganus rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Cheryl Cadwallader
Cheryl Cadwallader rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2015
Mary Quattlebaum
Mary Quattlebaum rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Sandy Clifton
Sandy Clifton rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Janice Elrick
Janice Elrick rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2015
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
Debra
Oct 03, 2015 Debra rated it liked it
A good little mystery.
williamplough
williamplough rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Yuletide Protector (The Precinct Task Force, #6; The Precinct #22)
  • Colby Law (Colby Agency, #48)
  • Last Spy Standing (SDDU, #11)
  • For the Baby's Sake
  • Bodyguard Under Fire (Covert Cowboys, Inc. #3)
  • The Marshal's Hostage (The Marshals of Maverick County, #1)
  • The Best Man to Trust (Harlequin Intrigue 1429)
  • Cardwell Ranch Trespasser (Cardwell Ranch #3)
  • Explosive Attraction (The Morgan Brothers, #1)
  • Cooper Vengeance  (Cooper, #7)
  • Glitter and Gunfire (Shadow Agents, #4)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Jana DeLeon was raised in southwest Louisiana among the bayous and gators. Her hometown is Carlyss, but you probably won't find it on a map. Her family owned a camp located on a bayou just off the Gulf of Mexico that you could only get there by boat. The most important feature was the rope hammock hanging in the shade on a huge deck that stretched ...more
More about Jana Deleon...

Mystere Parish: Family Inheritance (3 books)
  • The Betrayed (Mystere Parish: Family Inheritance, #2)
  • The Reunion: The Secret of Cypriere Bayou (Mystere Parish: Family Inheritance, #3)