Start by marking “The Missing Dough (Pizza Lovers, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Missing Dough (Pizza Lovers, #6)

The Missing Dough (Pizza Lovers #6)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  414 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
The only thing Eleanor Swift loves more then A Slice of Delight--her Timber Ridge, North Carolina pizzeria--is her sister Maddy. So when Maddy's cheating ex-husband Grant shows up with some pie-in-the-sky idea to win Maddy back, Eleanor is happy to see her sister swiftly show him the door. But they both know Grant isn't done yet. . .
Especially when he picks a fight with M
Published November 26th 2013 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Missing Dough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Missing Dough

Malice at the Palace by Rhys BowenThe Deep End by Julie MulhernFeta Attraction by Susannah HardyAt the Drop of a Hat by Jenn McKinlayArsenic and Old Books by Miranda James
2015 Cozy Mystery New Releases
110th out of 178 books — 217 voters
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeCatering to Nobody by Diane Mott DavidsonFudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne FlukeA Dead Sister by Anna Celeste BurkeEvertaster by Adam Glendon Sidwell
Mysteries in Good Taste!
212th out of 352 books — 284 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie Barrett
Nov 26, 2013 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
The Missing Dough by Chris Cavender
This mystery series is about Maddy and Eleanor and they own and run A Slice of Heaven pizzeria. They have part time help, one is Josh the police chief's son who's also a guru at the PC.
Grant, the ex husband is killed after being a nuisance to many in town during the fair and where many were threatening him when he dropped beer over them.
The woman are sisters and often spend the night at one another houses. This case is about the money that Grant had swindled ou
Amber
Jul 23, 2016 Amber rated it it was amazing
Eleanor and Maddie are enjoying their time at the Festival in town. When Maddie's ex-husband appears to cause trouble, she tells him off. Later on he ends up dead and Police Chief Kevin Hurley is pointing the finger at Maddie's Fiancee attorney Bob Lemon. Can The girls prove Bob's innocence and find out who killed Maddie's jerk of an ex-husband? Read and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good and the last of the Pizza Lover's Mysteries series that my library had on its shelves. I have enjo
Anna
Dec 22, 2013 Anna added it
Don't know how they stay in business always giving away free food.
Brenda
May 24, 2015 Brenda rated it liked it
The Missing Dough is the 6th installment in the Pizza Lovers Mystery Series. The series centers around Eleanor and her sister Maddy, co-owners of The Slice of Heaven located in Timber Ridge, NC. While it is not absolutely necessary to read the previous books in the series it does help in understanding the background of the characters.

When Maddy's obnoxious ex-husband Grant arrives at The Slice in an effort to get her back, neither Eleanor, her boyfriend Dave nor Maddy's fiancé Bob are too happy.
Nora-adrienne
Jan 19, 2014 Nora-adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies
By: Chris Cavender
Copyright: December 2013
Publisher: Kensington

Maddy’s ex-husband, Grant Whitmore, has come back to Timber Ridge, North Carolina claiming he wants to patch things up. It’s soon evident that he has another motive altogether—Grant’s late mother left Maddy something in her will. Maddy refuses to sign the quitclaim that Grant brought with him, despite his threats. But Grant won’t be threatening anyone much longer, for later that night, his body is discovered near the
Michelle
Sep 25, 2014 Michelle rated it it was ok
This book just seemed to be written for kids... the vocabulary wasn't challenging and I found myself really thinking;"This author won awards?" It's a cozy mystery with a cool setting in a pizzeria... it did make me salivate every time the sisters/sleuths were preparing dough etc... but as far as the writing itself... it left me kind of stunned at it's simplicity. My 7th grade English students could have done a better job. I think some authors feel that cozy mystery fans will like anything they p ...more
Cathy Cramer
Book 6. A nice, leisurely read, like the rest, that left me wanting a pizza.

Eleanor, Maddy, David, and Bob are becoming more of a "family" to each other, and it's nice to see.

My kids like to make fun of stupid (risky) strategies during mysteries. Going to the murderer's yard at dark without a flashlight, without police, to dig up something suspicious buried in the backyard would be one of those stupid strategies.

Favorite quotes:
"I wouldn't put it past our chief of police to lock us both up out o
Susan
May 26, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I have read a few books in this series but never really warmed up to it*. I tried this volume to see if the books got better as they went along, as sometimes happens in a new series. No. I am still not able to warm up to the book or the main characters, Maddy and Eleanor.

There were parts of the plot that really bothered me: The sisters break the law left and right but no one seems to care; they turn down help from the two adult men in their lives, men who are wanting to help, but then recruit th
Tess
Jan 13, 2014 Tess rated it really liked it
Chris writes many books under a couple of different names, and I have always enjoyed his work, be it series' about soap making, candle making, light houses or pizza parlors.
This one is about Eleanor, who owns the pizza parlor and Maddy, # 1 assistant, side-kick detective, and most importantly sister. When Maddy's obnoxious ex-husband, Grant turns up dead, the sisters and their boy friends end up being the main suspects. The girls and their guys go to a festival in their town of Timber Ridge, NC
Susan
When Maddy's obnoxious ex-husband arrives in town, determined to be part of her life again, sister Eleanor is perturbed. When the ex- is found dead and Maddy's fiance Bob is on the police chief's suspect list, both Maddy and Eleanor are energized to find who really killed the man. The background--a small, local pizza shop--is less significant in this one; the sisters are all too willing to bend the law, and find themselves in danger several times.
Nancy Geary
Jan 01, 2014 Nancy Geary rated it it was ok
This is probably my least favorite of all the books in the series. I know the author has to find ways for the sisters to become involved in murder investigations, but...

I just am finding it more & more unrealistic as the series continues that they find clues that the police overlook. also committing crimes themselves - breaking and entering? - that are glossed over and forgiven.
and in the denouement, don't think to call the authorities or tell anyone where they're going?

The men in their liv
elisia conrardy
Jun 17, 2014 elisia conrardy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Missing Dough

Pizza and a mystery, two of my favorite things. I have read all the books in this series. Eleanor and her sister Maddy are becoming like friends I look forward to visiting. Not only will you enjoy the story but u get recipes too. the only trouble is now I have a craving for some pizza and I'm on a diet.
Val
Jan 05, 2015 Val rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was an okay mystery. I have never read anything by this author and I doubt I will read another. I get frustrated when characters put themselves in harms way while sleuthing. The dialogue was a bit stilted and repetitive. The sister sleuths run a pizza restaurant when they are not hunting down the bad guys. There are much better food mystery series available.
Sandybear76
Jun 16, 2014 Sandybear76 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Eleanor's sister's ex is back in town and already he is causing trouble! The ex says he was to get back together but Maddy doesn't want the ex back. After the town's festival, the ex is found dead and Maddy's fiance Bob is suspected of the murder. The sisters try to find the killer before Bob is truly arrested while they make pizza in their pizzeria.
Chi Dubinski
Feb 06, 2014 Chi Dubinski rated it really liked it
Eleanor Swift and her sister Maddy own “A Slice of Delight” pizza parlor. When Maddy’s ex-husband Grant picks a fight with her fiancé Bob at the town’s Founders Day festival, it’s Bob who is suspect number one when Grant is found with a barbeque skewer through his heart. Readers who enjoy culinary mysteries should check out this series.
Lorraine
Sep 20, 2014 Lorraine rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: pizza lovers.
Believe it or not, I had difficulty finishing this book. Yes, I know it is not a long book, but it just did not keep my interest. If it truly had been a pizza, it would have been very bland. I am not sure how many times the author had the sisters state how close they are or how they had each other's back, etc. ,but it was very redundant. I am glad that they liked each other, but it seemed as though the author was just taking up space with the same thought and words. I doubt that I will read anot ...more
Luffy
Mar 13, 2016 Luffy rated it it was ok
I found myself blink when I gave this book a two star rating. It may not deserve this score, but maybe my taste has evolved. And now the series which scored a perfect 5 stars for the past 5 books is found wanting. I admit that I didn't understand the bit about the website that has that aerial photo, but I understood most of the jokes and various points. In one way this book is less simple and is maybe going in the right direction, but I have been used to a slower pace which made for a very mell ...more
Helen Talaniec
Nov 30, 2015 Helen Talaniec rated it really liked it
I liked this! Mystery, murder, food and not too sappy! Will read more and maybe pick up some paperbacks in the series for when I have nothing in the house to read.
February Four
Apr 24, 2014 February Four rated it really liked it
More interesting than the last one, thankfully. I'm not sure if I'll keep on.
Kim j
Jan 26, 2014 Kim j rated it really liked it
Shelves: cavender
I recently found this series & it has quickly become a favorite. My only big complaint is how quick the books are b/c they are less than 200pages. The characters are very believable & likable in their roles. I am glad that both the sisters are with good men but how can they keep a business afloat with all the investigating and on the flip side, how can they do all the investigating on breaks? Its a book but still? I liked all the different directions the sisters went looking for the kill ...more
Rachelle
Jul 25, 2014 Rachelle rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Will not be reading any more of this series
Myra
Mar 09, 2014 Myra rated it liked it
A cute, cozy mystery. Good, but nothing special.
Patti Seidel
Feb 15, 2014 Patti Seidel rated it did not like it
Cute little mystery. Quick read. Not super interesting.
D Nichols
Feb 16, 2015 D Nichols rated it liked it
Good read for a cosy. Lots of fun.
Mar 02, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
Love this series, the characters!!
Fmorlan
Dec 26, 2013 Fmorlan rated it really liked it
Eleanor and Maddy run a pizza restaurant. Maddy has been married a few times. One of her ex husbands comes to town which is an intolerable situation. He is found dead after an argument with Bob Lemon - Maddy's fiance. The girls realize that they need to investigate much to the sheriff's dismay. There are a few suspects that pop up and the girls go after them. They get themselves into some rough spots but they get their answer. Good cozy mystery.
Lisa Neal
Jan 04, 2014 Lisa Neal rated it liked it
Really deserves 2.5 stars. Just not as believable as the books in this series usually are. Characters are still likable, but I don't know how their pizzeria stays in business. They spend less and less time in their place of business. Hope the author does a fine tuning but keeps the pizza mysteries coming.
Mkotch
Feb 21, 2014 Mkotch rated it it was ok
ho hum
Gloria
Mar 24, 2014 Gloria rated it really liked it
Another mystery to make me hungry. I want a Papa John's in Stuart. When Eleanor starts talking about letting the plump rounds of dough rise on her counter and the toppings for her different creations, my mouth waters. Oh, yes, and an ex husband of her sister's gets offed in the first part of the book. The sisters solve the crime in their usual manner and without getting quite killed themselves. Light reading but it could use a few more amusing characters.
Marsha
Jan 30, 2015 Marsha rated it it was ok
The wring is so-so. Lots of cozy mystery books that are better than this one.
  • Deadly Donuts (Donut Shop Mystery, #10)
  • The Chocolate Book Bandit (A Chocoholic Mystery, #13)
  • Chili con Carnage
  • A Catered Christmas Cookie Exchange (A Mystery with Recipes, #9)
  • Murder of a Stacked Librarian (A Scumble River Mystery, #16)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Buried in Bargains (Good Buy Girls, #3)
  • Rubbed Out (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #4)
  • Killer Honeymoon (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #18)
  • The Honey Guide (Mollel, #1)
  • The Fatal Funnel Cake (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #8)
  • Ghost Gone Wild (Bailey Ruth, #4)
  • The Cakes of Wrath (Piece of Cake Mystery, #4)
  • Final Sail (Dead-End Job Mystery, #11)
  • Nightshade on Elm Street (A Flower Shop Mystery, #13)
  • Killing Cupid (A Jaine Austen Mystery #12)
Chris Cavender is the pseudonym used by Agatha Award nominated author Tim Myers.
More about Chris Cavender...

Pizza Lovers (7 books)
  • A Slice of Murder (Pizza Lovers,  #1)
  • Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder (Pizza Lovers, #2)
  • A Pizza To Die For (Pizza Lovers, #3)
  • Rest In Pizza (Pizza Lovers, #4)
  • Killer Crust (Pizza Lovers, #5)
  • Thin Crust Killers (The Pizza Mysteries, #7)