Start by marking “I Know You Know” as Want to Read:
I Know You Know

I Know You Know

The darkest cards in the tarot deck reveal the darkest side of the man sitting opposite Janice—Mr. Edgar Kipp.

She feigns an inability to read for him, but will he believe her?

His parting words indicate that he knows she knows he's a serial killer.

And he plans to return.

The voice of her dead grandmother urges her to be careful, warning Janice she might be seeing her own
ebook, Tales Edition
Published February 20th 2013 by Crooked Cat Publishing Ltd (first published February 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about I Know You Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Know You Know

Tom Gillespie
Feb 24, 2013 Tom Gillespie rated it it was amazing
From the first line of the first page to the final word, I was completely hooked on Helen Howell's brilliant slice of psychic terror. Throughout the novella, the author masterfully ratchets up the tension and suspense, and creates a wonderfully claustrophobic world for her characters to inhabit. By the end, I was left a quivering wreck, but thoroughly entertained and in awe of the writer's command of the genre. The central conceit is original and main protagonists are well drawn, particularly ...more
Katherine Hajer
Feb 24, 2013 Katherine Hajer rated it really liked it
"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-- apocryphal, attributed to Margaret Atwood

Right in the first major character interaction, Helen Howell's novella sets up a question: what would you do if your intuition was screaming that a stranger is mortally dangerous to you, yet you don't have a single shred of physical, logical evidence to present to a third party to help you?

It's a question faced by thousands of people around the world, every day. T
Richard Bon
Nov 03, 2014 Richard Bon rated it really liked it
As a follower of Helen A. Howell's blog, Writing My Words, I always enjoy her writing style. This novella includes the subtlest touch of a noirish element within a cross between hard boiled and horror story, that of serial killer Edgar Kipp, who targets tarot readers. It's a smooth flowing read written with a deft touch for details - from Kipp's first kill to the voice of protagonist Janice's dead grandmother - and timing, as characters are developed concordantly with the action building to a cr ...more
Gayle Beveridge
Oct 05, 2013 Gayle Beveridge rated it liked it
Helen Howell's 'I Know You Know' is a cross genre novella - suspense thriller meets speculative fiction, told from the viewpoints of the two main characters.

Janice is a tarot card reader who has inherited not only her grandmother's house but her psychic abilities. Edgar Kipp is a serial killer, a psychopath fixated on fortune tellers. When Edgar comes to Janice for a reading she sees the truth of him in the cards and in knowing is in imminent danger. The story is drawn along first from Janice's
Laura Besley
Mar 12, 2013 Laura Besley rated it really liked it
'"Well, tell me my fortune then. What do you see?" he asked in a sharp nasally voice.' From the first paragraph of the first chapter you know that Helen A Howell's second novella, I Know You Know, is going to be the bone-chilling horror story it sets out to be. There is no preamble; this novella starts in the middle of an important scene between the two main characters, Janice and Edgar Kipp. Janice is reading tarot cards for Kipp and sees something she shouldn't: that he is a serial killer. Her ...more
Sheila
Jul 09, 2013 Sheila rated it it was amazing
A nice mix of the paranormal and good solid detective work, Helen Howell’s novella I Know You Know introduces great characters and locations, inviting this reader, for one, to hope there’ll be more to come. Dialog’s smoothly convincing and convincingly British, food includes my beloved “fish and chips,” and the level of danger climbs steadily, evoking that feeling of “No, somebody save her!” remembered so well from good scary movies.
Janice is such a minor talent at reading the cards compared to
Adam Byatt
Jan 12, 2014 Adam Byatt rated it liked it
A novella challenges the author to create a story to engage the reader, and leave the reader satisfied, and with "I Know You Know," Helen has accomplished it.
"I Know You Know" is a psychic thriller about Janice, a tarot card reader whose life is in jeopardy after she does a reading for the mysterious, and somewhat creepy, Edgar Kipp. The cards tell Janice one thing, something that puts her life in jeopardy but she keeps it from Edgar who has his own past to contend with.
She thinks he knows she
Kevin J Mackey
Feb 20, 2013 Kevin J Mackey rated it it was amazing
There are questions you shouldn't ask.

"Tell me my fortune then. What do you see?" That's right up there with them. Particularly when you ask it of someone who might actually see such things.

This is where "I Know You Know" starts and so begins the reader's journey with Janice, a fortuneteller, Edgar, the questioner, a Detective Inspector...and Gran.

Not only can Janice see Edgar's future, she gets a sense of his past and the menace that represents draws the reader along, the tension steadily incre
Zanna
Feb 21, 2013 Zanna rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of reading this novella as it was being written and, believe me, I couldn't wait for each chapter to arrive! I Know You Know is a supernatural, paranormal thriller that you won't want to put down once you've started reading.

The internal conversations between Janice, the Tarot reader, and her deceased grandmother are entertaining, even as Janice's menacing client, Edgar Kipp, keeps the reader on high alert.

From the very start, we are drawn completely into Janice's world and Ed
Donald
Mar 08, 2013 Donald rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2013
I had the good pleasure of hearing the author narrate some parts of this novella during the book launch week. That really brought the story to life and as I read the whole thing myself, I read it with her voice in mind.

This thriller puts the protagonist in an odd situation. She has a bad feeling about a client she does a card reading for. That voice in the back of her mind tells her to fudge things just to appease, you see.

Meanwhile, the antagonist has designs of his own—he is a nefarious dastar
Larry Kollar
Mar 02, 2013 Larry Kollar rated it really liked it
I Know You Know is a short but sweet thriller that pits a fortune-teller against a serial killer. Janice knows that something is wrong the moment Edgar Kipp comes through her door, and the reading she does for him only confirms it. The rest of the story explores Kipp's violent past and distasteful present, interleaved with Janice's attempts to get someone to believe her -- someone besides the voice of her departed grandmother (or is it her subconscious?).

The story was once an online serial, whic
Tina
Nov 25, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it
This is a fab page turner which I read in one sitting as I wanted to find out what happened. The characters are interesting and well written and the plot full of suspense, which draws you in and keeps you wanting more.

The length is perfect too. Not so long that you lose interest, but not too short either.

A great read, I thoroughly recommend this book :)
Mark Patton
Jul 24, 2013 Mark Patton rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly good read, superbly plotted and paced. It's difficult to add more to what has already been said without spoiling the plot, which would be a real pity. If only Alfred Hitchcock were still around to make the movie...
Beverley Stubbs
Beverley Stubbs rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Icy Sedgwick
Icy Sedgwick rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Corrine  Kenner
Corrine Kenner rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Scotti Cohn
Scotti Cohn rated it it was amazing
Sarah England
Sarah England rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2013
Carolcares4u
Carolcares4u rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Crooked Cat Publishing
Crooked Cat Publishing rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2013
Roberta
Roberta marked it as to-read
Sara Latta
Sara Latta marked it as to-read
Sarah Brillinger
Sarah Brillinger marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
Chuck Allen
Chuck Allen marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
Maggie Secara
Maggie Secara marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Sherry Fundin
Sherry Fundin marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Dianna M
Dianna M marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Dawn Malone
Dawn Malone marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Catherine Csanyi
Catherine Csanyi marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Helen is the author of Jumping At Shadows, her debut Novella, a fantasy fiction for children 9/10 years up to adults, released in 2012.

Her second Novella I Know You Know, a Psychic Thriller for adults, was released by Crooked Cat Publishing on February 21 2013.

Her New Novella Mind Noise will be released early in 2014 by Crooked Cat publishing.

She is a fiction writer, who writes in several genres w
More about Helen A. Howell...