Start by marking “The Sword of Sighs (The Age of the Flame, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sword of Sighs (The Age of the Flame, #1)

The Sword of Sighs (The Age of the Flame #1)

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Sarah Bean lives a quiet life in Okeechobee, Florida until the day she is transported from our world to the fantastic realm of Seythe. She meets a wayfaring wizard called Ossen who saves her from the dreaded black riders, servants of a being known only as the Fallen One. Together, they will have to undertake a treacherous journey to the far-away Fellhorn mountain where Sar ...more
Published February 11th 2013 by Manderghast Press

To ask other readers questions about The Sword of Sighs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword of Sighs

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Unraveling of Lady Fury by Shehanne Moore21 Days of Faith Challenge by Shelley HitzLover at Last by J.R. Ward
Best books of March, 2013
36th out of 104 books — 278 voters
Easy by Tammara WebberBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireHopeless by Colleen HooverWanted by Kelly ElliottOn Dublin Street by Samantha Young
Indie Authors Everybody Should Read
446th out of 2,815 books — 3,217 voters

More lists with this book...

Becca
um i got about 30% through i couldn't finish.
Either A) i am not feeling it right now
B) its was sort of confusing to say the least because
i) i thought she was already 16 at the beginning but apparently she wasn't
ii) time passage was like no big deal - three years on a different world that was not her own and hey no big deal...yeah no that is a big deal
iii) random ass POV shift
iv) references that arent being explained

Honestly? maybe i am just not in the mood for a super fantasy right now bu
K.C.
I was lucky enough to receive an early copy of the Sword of Sighs. I have read Greg James’ other works (under the name G.R. Yeates) and I can honestly say this is my favorite book of his so far. It’s about a girl who finds herself worlds away from her Florida home. Slavery, kidnapping, death and a bit of love (thrown in for kicks) await her in this new world.

Sword of Sighs is very fast paced. Each chapter is packed with action and details that the reader could easily miss if not paying attentio
Libby Cummings
This book is wonderful. Greg does a great job of describing events and people but he also doesn't get the reader totally bogged down with useless details. When reading this book I found myself lost in my head as I followed the characters on their journey. Greg's writing style is one of my favorites. I look forward to the next adventure.
Beau Schemery
Oh, book. I'm glad I got you for free.

This book was a bit of a mess. One of the main characters is Gandalf. But he's not Gandalf. His name is Ossen and he only has one eye. But at one point Not-Gandalf PULLS HIMSELF UP TO HIS FULL HEIGHT AND SPEAKS IN A BOOMING VOICE AS THE AREA AROUND HIM SEEMS TO DARKEN. That's paraphrased. But it happens in the book.

There's a bad guy. He has a staff topped with a goat skull. It has curly horns. The bad guy has a hood. In the hood? A skull. Skeletor anyone?

T
Dianne
Greg James has done it again. He's a phenomenal author who guarantees to take you on a journey. I've had the pleasure of reading his Vetala Cycle books under the pen name G.R. Yeates. His words create a poetic atmosphere that captures you and doesn't let go. He brings you in with such vivid imagery that as you read you see the world he creates playing in your mind like a movie.

The Sword of Sighs was such a book. From the cover of the book, to the synopsis, to the prologue, he grabbed a hold of m
Graeme Reynolds
Sarah Bean is an average teenager who is plagued by dreams of her death at the hands of magical creatures in a mythical realm. When she tries to escape from a gang of bullies by hiding in an abandoned fun fair, she finds herself transported to another world. Isolated from everyone and everything she ever knew, Sarah must come to terms with her fate if she is to accept the strange destiny that is laid out before her.
I'll get right to the point. Sword of Sighs is one of the best Young Adult fantas
Ann
The Sword of Sighs is a young adult novel, which is not something I would normally read, but Greg James, who also writes horror as G.R. Yeates, is one of my favorite authors so I made an exception for this one. I am very glad that I did. The Sword of Sighs is a fantasy novel with well paced action and compelling characters. The story features Sarah, a young girl who is tormented by school bullies until she finds herself transported to another world where the bullies are much more menacing than t ...more
Alisa
Greg James wrote a line in THE SWORD OF SIGHS that I think encapsulates the heart of this richly woven fantasy: “Strength is not merely proved by how much blood one has spilt, how many foes defeated, or how many battles won. Sometimes, living day-to-day, hour-to-hour, and minute-to-minute is a truer sign of one’s mettle.” Sarah Bean is a bullied teen. That alone is its own nightmare and the author conveys the fear, helplessness and horror of living with that day-to-day, hour-to-hour experience s ...more
Elicia (Girl in the Woods Reviews)
You can also find this review at http://girlinthewoodsreviews.blogspot...

Detailed Review: Like people who judge a book by its cover, I judge a book in my own ways. I judge them by their first sentence, or if it's not sufficient, their first paragraph.

This book hit my mark just nice. You can judge for yourself if you want. Here's the first paragraph of the book:

The night winds droned low and bitter around the snow-crusted flanks of the lone-standing mountain known as Fellhorn. Its forbidding hei
Misty Jo
I am absolutely thrilled about this YA series by Greg James. I have been looking forward to reading the first book for a while, and the wait was well worth the creativity and imagination that James poured into the The Sword of Sighs for his readers. James is a master at storytelling, transferring his vivid images to his readers' minds in a beautiful, melodious style that is all his own.

In The Sword of Sighs, James begins his series by introducing Sarah, a teenager struggling through every day li
Janet
This young adult fantasy novel is well . . . everything. Well-written, well-paced, well-edited, well-balanced (between dream states and reality, until you just aren't sure exactly where you are, and that's okay). At the ripe old age of 49, I don't easily follow some of the realms and names given in these types of novels, but James made it fun . . . I wondered what crazy thing was going to be around the next bend, and if it was real or imagined. It takes some special skill beyond being a good wri ...more
Liz
I received notification of this free book through www.BookBub.com, and I’m happy I did. I think this is a nice introduction into the fantasy genre, for a mature young adult.

Sarah Bean is not the strongest character that I have met, especially in the beginning. She is a dreamer, and while not explicit, I think, a bit of a loner. All of this sets her up to be… you’ve got it… bullied.

After a specific act of aggression, from her bullies, Sarah wakes up in a different realm. And now, Sarah is going
Christine McIntosh
This "book" was hit and miss for me. Most of the story was good. Concept was fine. Writing could be nice and pretty like I enjoy but mixed with the fun fantasy action. I mean, I liked most of it but it definitely wasn't amazing.

It had all the usual self-publish issues. The arrangement was messy. The writing was clunky and felt like a lot of thesaurus work. It really needed editing. It wasn't unreadable though like some of the other free Nook books. I'm very happy it was free since it doesn't ha
20131009-314
H

he is not a lot of fun and be able the government to do it for free and I don't want you
Jessica
Jul 30, 2014 Jessica rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
The Sword of Sighs is a fantasy novel that I believe is geared toward young adults. It's your typical good vs. evil, unlikely hero destined to save the world and there is nothing wrong with that.

I couldn't, I just couldn't...

I hate abandoning books and rarely do but I just couldn't finish this one. The story had some great potential but there were a number of things that just got under my skin so much I couldn't get past it.

The first thing that bothered me was the short and frequent scenes. Wha
Alycia
I'm pretty sure I picked this one up for free, so the price was right. Not sure if I liked it well enough to bother getting a sequel. Plot was kind of thin. There were several points where it seemed that something was happening but it later turned out the protagonist was dreaming or having visions ... so I'm not sure if some character deaths actually happened or not. Basically at the end of the book I found myself going "what..?"
Leelo Loves-Books
Not impressed by this story.

I got a sort of 'Lord of the Ring' vibe from it, so I was eager to keep reading. I kept comparing it to that book, its world, the stellar writing and found that The Sword of Sighs came up lacking.

Seriously.

At least for me.
Liza Goldberg
I liked it, but it didn't excite me.
It switched from present to past frequently, to give background, and also from dream to reality. I'm not sure if it was just Kindle formatting, or poor editing, but sometimes these shifts were almost impossible to follow.
I am hoping the sequels will draw me in further.
LaVar Cedric Askins
Definitely different

I enjoyed this book. It has a darkness that I've grown accustomed to in my books. I stayed on the edge of my seat the entire journey. If v you like noble quest you should read this book.
Erin
I really enjoyed this book. the only reason I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars is because there are a few scenes that seemed like they were taken straight out of LotR.
Mandy
Kind of jumpy and hard to follow at times. Also, the characters are pretty one-dimensional.
Ceeyena
Kinda really OK

Overall, I did enjoy the story that was told. However, getting through it proved annoying at times. The writing style switched between too much and too little detail at a time, it almost felt as if this were the abridged version and some key things were left out until later. Yet, it was easy enough to follow, and I did feel the need to finish it, rather than abandon the book out of frustration. I'm quite glad I did too.
I'd recommend this to those who enjoy fantasy and are patient
Franziska
Confusing, especially in the beginning. I don't understand the main character..
Victoria
Was confusing in the beginning, but after the story got into full swing I finished it quickly. I think the story line could have been developed more. Will have to continue the series in the near future.
Martin Pingree
Decent hard but somewhat difficult to keep up with.
Joyce McKune
Almost couldn't finish. Wish I'd never started. Don't bother!
Cat
I just couldn't get in to this book! :(

Was it that didn't feel Sarah as a character? Was the narration (jumping back and forth) too confusing? Whatever it was, I didn't feel the story line. Add to that, the slow plot progress, I wasn't able to enjoy this book. Fantasy, a thought out world (actually, more than one world), and solid characters, though if you can get through it.
Kim
Kept me reading into the night.

I was enthralled with Sarah Beans story,felt sympathy and was curious on how she would handle her new responsibility.....I hope she makes the right decision.
Rachel Welty
I liked it. Can't wait for next book
Heather
I stopped at 30%. I just couldn't get into it. It was pretty juvenile for me.
  • The Dark Citadel (The Dark Citadel, #1)
  • The God King (Heirs of the Fallen, #1)
  • The Eye of Divinity (Knights, #1)
  • An Oath of the Blood (Island Shifters, #1)
  • Draykon (Draykon, #1)
  • Magic of Thieves (Legends of Dimmingwood, #1)
  • Lichgates (The Grimoire Saga, #1)
  • Child of the Ghosts (Ghosts, #1)
  • Defender (Sanctuary, #1)
  • Cobweb Bride (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, #1)
  • Fire & Ice (Icefire Trilogy #1)
  • Bone Dust & Beginnings (Alexa's Travels)
  • The White Tree
  • City of Blaze (The Fireblade Array, #1)
  • Shadowborn (Light & Shadow, #1)
  • I Bring the Fire: Part I Wolves
  • A Death Displaced (Lansin Island, #1)
  • Rua (Rua, #1)
Greg James is a Fantasy author based in London, England. He has been writing stories since he was a child and still maintains that his pre-adolescent adaptations of The Wizard of Oz featuring Godzilla and the Transformers have validity.
He enjoys long walks around his home city of London as well as reading, writing (of course) and thinking up new imaginary worlds to entertain readers with.

You can
More about Greg James...

The Age of the Flame (3 books)
  • The Sceptre of Storms (The Age of the Flame: Book Two)
  • The Stone of Sorrows (The Age of the Flame: Book Three)
The Sceptre of Storms (The Age of the Flame: Book Two) The Stone of Sorrows (The Age of the Flame: Book Three) The Eclective: The Time Collection

“Strength is not merely proved by how much blood one has spilt, how many foes defeated, or how many battles won. Sometimes, living day-to-day, hour-to-hour, and minute-to-minute is a truer sign of one’s mettle. The ticking of the clock and the passage of time wear away courage more surely than any mortal blade might do—” 1 likes