Start by marking “Half a Million Dead Cannibals” as Want to Read:
Half a Million Dead Cannibals

Half a Million Dead Cannibals

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  50 reviews
All that’s keeping Riley from the man he’s falling in love with are the ruins of a city filled with half a million dead cannibals.

Strangers, Riley and Graham sheltered together in a basement storage unit when the zombie outbreak slammed into the world three months ago. They lived through the first blast of the plague, but they may not last much longer among survivors scram
Published March 5th 2013 by Loose Id (first published March 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Half a Million Dead Cannibals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half a Million Dead Cannibals

El Presidio Rides North by Domashita RomeroI Fell in Love with a Zombie by Sean KennedyThe Dead Will Rise First by Logan KainHalf a Million Dead Cannibals by Kari GreggAbercrombie Zombie by K.Z. Snow
m/m romance with zombies
4th out of 61 books — 88 voters
Touch & Geaux by Abigail RouxLover at Last by J.R. WardNot So Innocent by Dani AlexanderThe Boy with the Painful Tattoo by Josh LanyonWinter Kill by Josh Lanyon
Can't Wait M/M Romance of 2013
138th out of 193 books — 640 voters

More lists with this book...

Heller
That was intense.

The tension here was off the charts as two near strangers, Graham and Riley, struggle to both survive the plague that spring-boarded the apocalypse and the zombies who swarm the city streets looking for their next meal. Add packs of feral dogs and supply desperate survivors to the mix and you have a very tight, tense situation as the men abandon their safe house in a run out of the city.

Riley and Graham literally stumbled upon each other and for three months have been living in
Emma Sea
*sprinkles ketchup, grabs fork*

This was great! It's beautifully affectionate to the zombie genre (was that a nod to the sublime Shaun of the Dead? Also, Kari Gregg, are you a gamer? Riley's traversing of the landscape and urban back streets was so well described and spatially believable that I thought "Now there's a fellow soldier who has spent time in BlOps"). I had a sense of genuine apprehension throughout (I'm blaming this book if my next blood pressure reading is elevated), and the sex was
Otila
There be ZOMBIES!!!!
 photo OhNOItsZombieFingerAttachingtheSmileyFaceFingersfromNeonExperienceontumblr_zps722f4052.gif

Riley and Graham have been holed up in an abandoned building for three months - ever since the beginning of the zombie plague. Riley is a nail polish wearing gay man and Graham is retired Navy and straight (yeah sure) and oh, the sexual tension is killing Riley, especially since Graham is so touchy feely. Unfortunately, they can no longer stay in their safe basement. The city is getting even more dangerous now that supplies are running low so Graham convinces Riley that it’s

When I saw a Kari Gregg zombie tale pop up on my feed, I instantly jumped over to the BUY NOW button! I may have pulled out my double fisted-hip shake happy dance even! haha…

Unfortunately Half a Million Dead Cannibals was a huge disappointment for me. Heart-crushing disappointment.

We meet Graham and Riley three months into an “end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it” zombie apocalypse. Holed up together in a city basement, fighting, surviving, and sharing body heat. :) Graham, our big, straight, wall of
Gigi
Mar 10, 2013 Gigi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gigi by: R.B.
Incredibly unique and not for the meek! A nice break for the mundane M/M romance. Thanks for making me face the zombies R.B.!
Tiya Rosa
Everything in this story is designed to get your heart pumping. From the shuffling hoards of the undead and the dangerous predatory survivors, to Riley and Graham's sizzling chemistry both in and out of bed, you won't be able to help squirming in your seat or hanging on to the edge of it.

I already love zombies, whether mixed with strippers, Simon Pegg, or Daryl Dixon, so this one was already a three-star read just for the undead factor. But toss in an adorably vain but surprisingly capable Rile
Deeze
While I enjoyed the Zombie aspect of this book, I felt like I only got part of the story.
The part we did get was well written, engaging and at times exciting. But, as always, I wanted more. What started the apocalypse? and more importunately what happened after? It’s just me I know but I do like things spelled out for me lol.

Sadly the romance part of this left me cold. We get no real back ground on either Graham or Riley. We get a few clues, Riley’s love of nail polish and guy liner, and we fi
Susan65
Mar 08, 2013 Susan65 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: justjen
How am I ever supposed to sleep now?

Way too intense at some parts and I was about ready to pull the covers over my head just so I couldn't see what was going to happen next. The park scene nearly stopped my heart.

Riley amazed me how well he handled the separation. I kept expecting him to fail but nope, he did me proud. Graham took a loooooong time coming around and being honest with Riley about his feelings, and in the end it was all worth it.

I have to admit that I was afraid at the end one or b
Nina
So here I go, reading my second zombie-apocalypse-themed M/M novella this month, and finding out they're pretty damn awesome, with one big issue each.

This was exciting and entertaining. Riley and Graham are a wonderful, well-matched couple, even though their relationship is barely starting, and their adventure was realistic – as much as escaping from zombies can be considered realistic. They had a plan, they tried to stick to it, unexpected stuff happened, they had to separate, they got back tog
Veronica /  V
Wow ..just wow !!!!

I loved this book so much, this is one of those Zombie's stories that I really enjoyed.
I loved the characters, the flamboyant Riley, who even when he is living in an apocalypse world he still keep his own identity. The way he make sure his toe nails are painted bright pink and keep his body smelling gorgeous …it's just too adorable.
Graham is the perfect match for this adorable men, GFY Graham, felt in love with Riley nice and slow, I loved it how they finally got together.

Even
Jerss
A great shorter one. Well written, with a simple (but still great) premise, and a couple scorchingly hot scenes.

I really liked how he has characterized the two main characters. Riley is gay, and pretty eager and wanting Graham, but still a very capable survivor. Somehow he holds on to some bit of reality even in his neediness. Graham is perfect ... what sticks is how he speaks sparingly, but comes across so clear and strong.

This left me wishing for more, but it is pretty perfect as is.
Julesmarie
Oh, this was good. Fantastically creepy and disgustingly well-written. We meet Riley and Graham the morning they decide it's finally time to try escaping the city to get to the unpopulated safety of the mountains.

As we get to know them and follow them on their two-day journey through a nightmare, we're slowly told about the zombie apocalypse and how the world basically ended. And the pacing was perfect. I'm a total scardey-cat, so it was delightful to have the night of peace and rest (and, of co
Lauraadriana
Well color me SURPRISED! This little ditty packed a hell of a punch!

I had no expectations really with this, other than a fervent hope that the story was at least a bit better than that cover (I'm still cringing...) and as soon as I started reading I was very happy that indeed it was much better.

So Riley (kind of femmish gay man in his 20s) and Graham (big burly hunk of ex-navy man) are hunkering together as one of the survivors of some plague that has left the world full of infected undead. They
Nova
3.75 stars.

Zombies!! Need I say more? ;)

Uhm, okay.

Half a Million Dead Cannibals is a little, action-packed story with two surprisingly tough guys, some fellow survivors who aren’t so friendly and a city full of zombies.

Riley – one of the friendlier survivors – is young, smart and doesn’t like to be called babe (not that this would matter to Graham). During the whole story, some of my favorite scenes were when he was alone and desperate to find his partner again. Err… and the scenes with Graham.
Pjm12
Totally loved this. There were some excellent quirky moments, and it was an interesting decision to only show us Reily's side of the story. Graham remains a hot mystery guy who, out of the blue really, declares his (not-so-honourable) intentions towards Reily and proceeds to tease him mercilessly and seductively. The two sex scenes were incredible erotic and different to the normal run-of-the-mill descriptions that are sometimes dished out.

The zombie part of the story was also well done. Very su
Star
Had my heart racing from dread and, erm, other reasons, at 1 in the morning.
Heather♥
Being a huge Walking Dead fan, I usually have high expectations for zombie books and this one did not disappoint. There was so much detail that it was easy to visualize the decomposing, gory zombies, to smell their rotting flesh, and to feel the fear and terror Riley and Graham felt while trying to survive not only the undead, but hostile survivors as well (I still feel bad for that blonde guy). As if that wasn't enough, apparently they had to watch out for packs of wild dogs too. And let's not ...more
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
The Romance Review

Zombies and romance don't usually go together. Yet Ms. Gregg does it again with hot m/m romance in a post-apocalyptic world. Riley and Graham are trapped together moderately safe from the zombies terrorizing the world. It's not only survival from these monsters, but against the elements and other survivors.

Ms. Gregg creates a desolate world which is reminiscent of the Walking Dead. Except this story is much better and a whole lot hotter. Riley fortunately found Graham who is a former military m
Mandi
I'm a huge zombie fan, so I couldn't resist zombies combined with m/m! Really great story, but I couldn't help wanting more (which always seem to be the case with this author for me...I can't help it, I'm greedy!) The zombies were creepy and I liked both the MC's. Recommended for m/m fans who don't mind a bit of horror in their reading. :)
Crispy
A drool-worthy addition to Kari Gregg's oeuvre (sorry but I just had to use drool and oeuvre in the same sentence, I promise it will never happen again).
Tina_K
Almost perfect grown up post apoc book. Just needed 150 or so more pages. The early days of the plague and a solid HEA.
-RMG
Very intense read; left me wanting more. Will definitely await the sequel.
Lexi Ander
4.5 Stars

If you are looking for sweet and fluffy, don't look here. It is the zombie apocalypse and the danger of this dystopian world isn't watered down or glamorized. Life is harsh, people can die horrible deaths, and other humans can't be trusted to not rob you or throw you to the mercy of the hungry Zombie horde. And yet, there is a romance within the pages.

Riley and Graham met at the beginning of the outbreak of the plague. Riley is small and quick and Graham is retired military, but togethe
Lady*M

My last foray into a literary zombieland wasn't very satisfying. But, I am not a quitter and, when I found out that Kari Gregg has released a new zombie-themed novella, I pried it out of Sammy's hands (Thank you, Sammy!) and I am happy to report that Half A Million Dead Cannibals was well-written, exciting novella. The best thing about it is its atmosphere. It's not without flaws though, mainly in the relationship department.

Three months after most of the humanity for unknown reasons tu
Linda
Mar 18, 2013 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
I would say 4.75 stars, but there was so much to like in this well-written short novella. If you're a Walking Dead fan, you'll totally be able to get into Dead Cannibals, which follows Riley and Graham as they flee across a zombie-infested, snow-covered landscape, battling the creatures and their attraction to each other. My favorite character was Riley - he was a bit of a flake and flamboyent, and yet that boy had guts! When he and Graham were separated in the snow, I really felt his agony. Gra ...more
Lasha

I really liked this story of love among the ruins as Graham and Riley try to survive zombies, other people and learn to love each other. As a extreme fan of zombie movies and who has their own personal strategy for surviving the Great Zombie Apocalypse I loved the tension, suspense and sometimes terror of the plot. My only complaint and why it did not get 5 full stars was it was too short at 86 pages as I wanted more! But for a novella, it did pack a punch.

Author supplied an ARC for re
Marsha Spence
This kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time! Great story and loved the MC's. (view spoiler)
Teetee
I quite enjoyed this foray into apocalyptic zombie world, though in general I’m not a fan of zombie stories. Sure I like the occasional movie, but books make it a little too real for me. That being said, this wasn’t overly gory and the focus was on Riley and Graham. I liked the characters, liked the story, and enjoyed the 'I will find you, no matter what' moments very much.

I do wish that this author had explored two points though: Graham and Riley have been holed up for three months (if i recol
Amanda
For being 82 pages this was great. I think it was the perfect length, the zombie world building was fantastic and the sex scenes were a little rough and hot.
Q&A with Kari...: Half a Million Dead Cannibals 12 15 May 31, 2013 11:07PM
  • Zombie Boyz
  • Abercrombie Zombie
  • I Fell in Love with a Zombie
  • The Dead Will Rise First
  • Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts (Claimings, #1)
  • Fragile Bond
  • Sunrise
  • Strain
  • Trick of Time
  • The Tentacle Monster Everyone Wanted
  • The Mercenary
  • Stung (Zombie Gentlemen)
  • Hainted
  • Finding King (The Breaker, #1)
Kari Gregg lives in the mountains of Wild and Wonderful West Virginia with her Wonderful husband and three very Wild children. When Kari’s not writing, she enjoys reading, coffee, zombie flicks, coffee, naked mud-wrestling (not really), and . . . coffee!

If you would like to catch up with Kari, caffeinate yourself and head to http://www.KariGregg.com
More about Kari Gregg...
I, Omega You Melted Me Collared Pretty Poison Spoils of War (Spoils of War, #1)