Start by marking “Anna (The Kirov Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anna (The Kirov Saga, #1)

Anna (The Kirov Trilogy #1)

When Anne Peters, a young Englishwoman, is offered a new life in St Petersburg as governess to Count Kirov's children, she finds herself caught up in the intense lives of the family. The author won the Young Writer's Award in 1972 for her book "The Waiting Game".
Published September 1st 1991 by St Martin (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Anna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anna

Anna
Rating: 4.5 stars

I really enjoyed this. It’s a proper old fashioned saga that sweeps you into another world, another era.

When English governess Anne meets Russian Count Kirov it’s a meeting of minds. She goes to work for him, and of course, falls in love with him. Despite him being married to the beautiful but bland Irina, Anna (as she’s now called) and the Count share some swoonably tender moments, until family loyalties step in and Anna flees to start a new life...

Set against the dramatic an
Misfit
Oct 20, 2009 Misfit rated it really liked it
Anna is the first in a trilogy commonly referred to as The Kirov Saga and is the story of Anne Peters, an Englishwoman forced by circumstances after her father's death to take employment as a governess. Her latest position takes her to Paris in 1803, where she meets Count Nikolai Kirov, a Russian diplomat who was a friend of her father. Her employers take umbrage at this friendship and she leaves their employ and finds herself stranded in Paris, that is until Nikolai offers her a position in Rus ...more
Kate Quinn
Jun 09, 2010 Kate Quinn rated it it was amazing
Anyone looking to find out more about Russia and its history should start with Cynthia Harrod-Eagles's excellent Kirov trilogy. "Anna" is the first and best of them, bringing this huge land of contradictions to vivid life. Anne Peters is an English governess who finds herself stranded in France when the Napoleonic Wars begin. A Russian diplomat named Count Kirov brings Anne to Russia to save her from prison, and Anne finds herself governess to his two daughters and irrevocably in love with the C ...more
Adele
Jan 01, 2015 Adele rated it really liked it
I first read Anna as a thirteen year old, when I borrowed it from my Grandma's bookshelf where I think it was part of a chunky Reader's Digest anthology (as well as a voracious reader my Grandma couldn't walk past a charity shop / car boot / school fete without stuffing a poly bag full of books).

Anna was my first real introduction to Russia, with the story travelling through the mysterious, magical country from St Petersburg, Moscow to the Caucasus Mountains. A world away from my bedroom in Edi
Vaso
Apr 15, 2013 Vaso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Διάβασα το συγκεκριμμένο βιβλίο όταν πρωτοεκδόθηκε στη χώρα μας. Θυμάμαι, ότι οι περιγραφές ήταν λεπτομερείς και γλαφυρές και σε μετέφεραν στην εποχή που διαδραματιζόταν το βιβλίο.
Aria B.Countess22
Aug 03, 2011 Aria B.Countess22 rated it really liked it
I think the review of Publishers Weekly tells the whole story...Behooold!!! :D

In this vast yet meticulously detailed historical romance, veteran British author Harrod-Eagles sets young English governess Anne Peters at the center of shifting and cataclysmic events occuring in Russia between 1803 and 1812. Dismissed by her stuffy English employers because of a social blunder, the outspoken Anne is hired by Count Nikolai Kirov, an adviser to the czar, to educate his two lively daughters, Yelena, ni
Rebecca Huston
A good, solid four star read set in Paris and Russia during the Napoleonic wars. Anne is a heroine who's pragmatic, but not so prim that she doesn't fall in love with a very unsuitable man -- for one, he's married, and two, she's the governess to his children. Both Nicholai and Anna have plenty of faults and make plenty of mistakes, and it takes some years before there's a lasting chance for them both. I like it when an author is gutsy enough to do that. Too, she isn't afraid of character death ...more
Theresa
Jul 14, 2016 Theresa rated it liked it
This was the first novel I have read by Cynthia Harrod Eagles. I was enthralled with the story throughout the first two thirds of “Anna”; the descriptions of 19th century life in Russia were so poetic and imaginative! The author describes the vastness of this land and its many varied peoples and customs in such an inviting way, it truly makes one grieve for the changes that subsequent political upheaval brought to this land and peoples.

Anna is an English gentlewoman who, upon the death
Katherine Gypson
Apr 11, 2013 Katherine Gypson rated it liked it
This title has caught my eye countless times on library shelves. The cover has a kind of early-1990s grand historical romance saga look that both put me off and drew me in. Finally, desperate for historical fiction set in Russia (why are there so few titles?), I picked this one up and gave it a shot.

I'm mostly glad I did. At 631 pages, I got through Anna in about a week so it represented a fairly serious investment of reading time. The book is divided into three parts, set in 1803, 1807 and 181
Andrea
Aug 25, 2014 Andrea rated it it was amazing
If you like historical fiction, this book is a fantastic read. I learned more about Napolean's invasion of Russia here (and found it much more interesting!) than any high school history lesson. I can't wait to read the second one.
Anneta Koulaza
Nov 20, 2015 Anneta Koulaza rated it liked it
It was a promising book that ended up in a boring and indifferent way.I felt like the second part of the book was written by a different writer.I loved her writing at the first part of the book,the descriptions of life in Russia,Anne's feelings and her struggle to survive in a foreign land.I was very enthusiastic and couldn't wait to finish it off.The second part,after Anne and the Count got together,something changed in the tone of writing,i suddenly lost interest in the plot.I somehow expected ...more
Korey
Dec 25, 2012 Korey rated it liked it
This is a sprawling, slowly paced book which is both its strength and its weakness. I was totally riveted by the first half of this book and loved that Harrod-Eagles was spending so much time establishing her characters and describing their surroundings so vividly and so beautifully.

However, I must confess a gradual feeling of impatience grew within me as the book progressed to the point where I found the last third or so quite tedious. There can be a thin line between a deliberately paced, app
Marina
Sep 29, 2014 Marina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for a romance similar to The Bronze Horseman when someone suggested Anna by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. Safe to say this is not TBH material. I enjoyed the book up until de middle, the rest of it is a total waste of my time.

What I liked: The historical setting, the infos on the russian life style prior to the communist revolution.

What i did not like: The characters and the main couple. No chemistry there at all.

Guess my search for the next Bronze Horseman continues...
Sarah Wagner
Sep 21, 2011 Sarah Wagner rated it really liked it
An epic historical novel set in the early nineteenth century and culminating with Napoleon's invasion of Russia. When Anne Peters, an English governess, finds herself suddenly without employment and stranded in Paris, she encounters the intriguing Russian Count Kirov, who offers her a position in his household. Anne finds herself attracted to her new employer, but she represses her true feelings for years, but eventually the passions of the characters come to the surface, with consequences for a ...more
Barbara Came
May 07, 2015 Barbara Came added it
Shelves: finished
Loved it! The setting, the etiquette in that time period, the morals they lived by, the way they spoke to each other and simply everything! There is quite a lot of description of landscapes and the various tribes in the Caucasus Region, how they lived and decorated their homes. in fact lots and lots of descriptions of homes and the changing landscapes and of course Napoleon and the war.
But the author's grasp of human character and the way she describes it is amazing and really detailed. So enjo
K.l.
I always enjoy Cynthia Harrod Eagles work, and this was no exception. A really interesting look at the Napoleonic Wars from the Russian point of view, and it was a rather unique outlook on the Russian lifestyle during that period. A lot more glam than one would think. Anna was a great heroine, and the Kirov family were lovely as a whole, despite some rather esoteric moments that didn't quite fit in. Do wish her families would get on better though...
Angie
Mar 03, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
I read this 20 years ago and liked it. So I thought I would read it again. I really enjoyed all the history of it. Course doing my high schoolers history for him helped me understand Napolean and Russia's war better. So reading the book I knew how that part would play out. :) I would reccomend this book if you like history and romance. It takes place from 1800 to 1813 when Napolean was defeated.
Nancy
Apr 16, 2008 Nancy rated it liked it
I read this series of three books after I read I, Victoria. It was good historical fiction that takes place in Russia, and follows a family over several generations. I think I would have rated it 3 1/2, if that were an option.
Christine
Mar 27, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
I remember reading this when I was a teen. It was part of a Reader's Digest condensed book. Russia made romantic and beautiful and epic. It reminds you of Anna and the King, Anastasia and Jane Eyre all combined into one glorious romantic, angsty novel.
Dawn (& Ron)
Aug 26, 2011 Dawn (& Ron) marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dawn (& Ron) by: Rebecca and Misfit
Blame this one on Rebecca and Misfit. Oh, the Napoleonic wars and Russian setting, along with the tease of learning a character dies deserve some blame too.
Margareth8537
Jan 29, 2014 Margareth8537 rated it really liked it
Got on better with this than the Morland Dynasty which seems to have gone on forever. Mind, this looks set for a run!
Allie Rozewski
:) It's a good, quick, fun read. I love historical Novels so it was a nice read, I'd make a bigger review, but right now I'm watching the final battle in the "Last Samurai" and it's not happening.
Deanne Wildsmith
Deanne Wildsmith rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2011
Barbara Lorenz
Barbara Lorenz rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015
Carey
Carey rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2009
Sharon Rogers
Sharon Rogers rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2017
Amber Cox
Amber Cox rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Shauna Liebenow
Shauna Liebenow rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2012
  • Wintercombe (Wintercombe, #1)
  • White Gardenia
  • Michael and Natasha: The Life and Love of Michael II, the Last of the Romanov Tsars
  • Ice Road
  • Omamori
  • Generations of Winter
  • Alice in Exile
  • The Romanov Bride
  • A Dark and Distant Shore
  • Your Mouth Is Lovely
  • The House by the Dvina: A Russian Childhood
  • The women of Eden (Eden #4)
  • Tatiana's Table: Tatiana And Alexander's Life Of Food And Love (The Bronze Horseman #3.5)
  • The White Russian
  • The Lieutenant's Lover
  • The Jewel of St. Petersburg (The Russian Concubine, #0)
  • The Siege
  • A Vengeful Longing (Porfiry Petrovich, #2)
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles (aka Emma Woodhouse, Elizabeth Bennett)

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles was born on 13 August 1948 in Shepherd's Bush, London, England, where was educated at Burlington School, a girls' charity school founded in 1699, and at the University of Edinburgh and University College London, where she studied English, history and philosophy.

She had a variety of jobs in the commercial world, star
More about Cynthia Harrod-Eagles...

The Kirov Trilogy (3 books)
  • Fleur (The Kirov Saga, #2)
  • Emily (The Kirov Saga, #3)