Start by marking “Orchestrated Death A Mystery Introducing Inspector Bill Slider (Bill Slider,#1)” as Want to Read:
Orchestrated Death A Mystery Introducing Inspector Bill Slider (Bill Slider,#1)

Orchestrated Death A Mystery Introducing Inspector Bill Slider (Bill Slider #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  32 reviews
When the naked body of violinist Anne-Marie Austen is found, Detective Inspector Bill Slider has depressingly few clues to her murder. Struggling with a complex case, Slider also faces turmoil at home when he must choose between his wife and an exciting new love. A rich and powerful debut.
Published February 21st 1992 by Scribner Book Company (first published January 1st 1991)

Be the first to ask a question about Orchestrated Death A Mystery Introducing Inspector Bill Slider

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingBaby by J.K. AccinniAlien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. AccinniThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Savage Surrogate by Dorothy May Mercer
Best Series With At Least 7 Books
116th out of 336 books — 171 voters
Fortune Calling by Hunter S. JonesDoktor Faustus by Thomas MannThe Soloist by Mark SalzmanCaptain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de BernièresStradivari's Genius by Toby Faber
String Instruments on the Cover
40th out of 124 books — 51 voters

More lists with this book...

Damaskcat
This is the first book in the Bill Slider series of crime novels. Slider is not getting on with his wife, Irene, who doesn’t understand the demands of his job. When a beautiful young woman is found dead in a deserted flat he is attracted to the young woman’s closest friend much to his colleagues’ surprise.

Slider himself is convinced there’s an organised crime element to the case when he finds the victim, who plays in an orchestra, has a Stradivarius violin in her possession even though she live
Scilla
Officer Slider is called to where a naked woman's body has been found. She was killed by an injection of a prescription medication, and all forms of identification had been removed. Atherton notices a spot on her neck which could only come from playing a violin. Thus, they discover the id, Anne-Marie Austen, faster than the killer expected by going to the local orchestras and finding out who is missing. By interviewing those she worked with, they gradually find out more about the dead woman. Sho ...more
LJ
ORCHESTRATED DEATH – G+
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles – 1st in series
Detective Inspector Bill Slider is called to investigate the death of a young, naked woman found in an empty flat. In so doing, while his marriage is falling apart, he finds himself attracted to a woman who knew the victim. This was a re-read.

I have read all the Bill Slider books and very much enjoy this author’s writing, whose strength is the characters rather than the mystery, but which is done with wit.
Jamie
So this arrived in the post, along with two other books by this author...No idea when I ordered it or what sparked the purchase but I was pleasantly surprised. This wasn't too long but it was nicely written, clever and fairly humorous in parts...

A Sierra on the first page is always a good omen for me: London and Birmingham are two of my favourite UK cities and this covers both, so I enjoyed that I didn't enjoy the messy personal life Bill Slider has, but I did like it overall.

A naked woman is f
Geraldine Evans
Wonderful read. Plenty of humour. Excellent characterisation. Thoroughly recommend.
Elizabeth
I read the "omnibus" edition which is the first three books in the Bill Slider series so this review covers all three books.

The Good - the plots are appropriately twisty, the characters are interesting and likable, and, most importantly, the dialogue is witty and fun.

The Bad - there is an affair conducted through the first three books that is justified by the two involved and it's a very successful relationship. The marriage is shown to be a bad one and yet the adulterer can't seem to end the ma
C.C.
So, this is the book 1 of Bill Slider Series. I'm not sure but I think it was published a long time ago. Im not sure how I should rate it, maybe 3-4? Bill Slider is a man with firm principles but falling in love with the victim's friends is not part of his, at least he thought it wasn't. The romantic side of the story was pretty serious, since Slider was married, unhappily I might add. I've never been a fan of mistresses and third parties and I thought there can never be justification for cheati ...more
Kathleen
Mar 02, 2014 Kathleen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathleen by: Dad
This is from the early '90s, the lingo, use of call boxes.... I found it refreshing after all the techno-cop mysteries I've read lately.
You can get plot summaries elsewhere, it was fairly basic, but the execution, the characterization, the fact that it all didn't end tidily was all refreshing.
Will read more of the series.
Kimberli
First installment of a new contemporary British mystery series and nicely done. Fans of Elizabeth George or the Prime Suspect PBS series will like this book. Fast paced and kept me guessing until the end.

Note on the publisher: Felony and Mayhem Press. If you like well-written mysteries of all genres...check this list out. Truly great, hard-to-find titles from not only some of the best British mystery writers, think Elizabeth Ironside, Marjorie Allingham, and Reginald Hill but also where you can
Alexandra Amor
This is possibly my all-time favorite mystery novel. I read it about once a year. The character development and the friendships/relationships between the characters are what bring me back to it again and again.
Gill
I love the Bill Slider series. This is not the best - not surprising as it is the first. However all the signs of promise are there in the wit and characterisation. Good old fashioned crime novel.
Blaire
My notes from before I joined goodreads indicate that I read this book a few years ago, but I have no recollection of it. My friend LJ likes this author, so I decided to get the book from the library and give it another try. The worst that could happen is that I'd remember the plot and return the book. Not so much as a glimmer. Well maybe a little bit at the end. At any rate, I enjoyed it the second time through. The characters were well-done and the plot well-constructed, although a bit far-fet ...more
Nancy
This was a perfect summer read and very enjoyable "debut" of a new detective.

The detective was flawed, but engaging, and the challenges of his domestic life added alot of spice to this mystery. As a reader who is drawn to character over plot, this book was a good fit for me. I am a regular mystery reader yet never try to solve the puzzle myself. So, it was a bit of a surprise that the "evil-doer" jumped out at me early on. This did nothing to diminish my pleasure in the book because there were m
Kurt
Not terrible but to me the main character was NOT likeable.
Pat
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would (always a bit wary of romance writers turned mystery writers). A tantalising murder mystery, an affair and a surprising amount of humour (especially after just finishing Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn) - what's not to like?

Having said that it was a fairly standard (although solid) police procedural with just enough spark to keep the reader's interest. A series for light entertainment but I will certainly read some more.
Margareth8537
Interestingly drawn character
Kyrie
I love the word play and the interaction between characters in this book. Bill Slider's team of detectives is a family, as he notes at one point in the book. And while the situation between Joanna and Bill is difficult, I like both of them. I think that's what I like best about this story - the characters seem real, like people one would meet in real life. (Assuming one's real life involves police in London.)
Patrick
My "grab at random in the library" technique pays off again with the discovery of this series, featuring D.I. Bill Slider.

These are literate, funny, and often ghoulish procedurals. Slider's squad specializes in puns, often of the shredder variety.

I've knocked off about six so far, all excellent, all in the four star range. Check it out.
Kerri
I just could not get into this character. Right off the bat he seems miserable, and then he becomes an adulter - literally with in the first 15% of the book. The story seems more about his affair and dislike of his wife than a murder mystery.
I won't be reading anymore of this series.

Dee
I like this series. Harrod-Eagles develops likeable, realistic characters with complicated lives that she intertwines with good mysteries. This one centers around a death in an orchestra, where Bill Slider falls in love with the first violinist.
Mark Sachs
compelling first novel. Introduces a flawed dectective (aren't they all?)named Bill Slider. I enjoyed this although the resultion is not neat and tidy. But maybe that's life. I look forward to reading others of hers.
Shandra
A very enjoyable mystery. The characters are well-drawn, with real-life problems and foibles, yet interesting enough to make one want to read the next book. I have recommended this author to many a mystery fan.
Connie
This is the first in a series about Bill Slider and I plan to read more. A very well done story with good characters who I hope will be continuing and a good well thought out plot.
Teresa
clever Brit mystery and generally well-written, except for a few clunkers such as "his eyes had that flat look of ageing homosexuals."
Jean
Interesting crime mystery novel with an unusual classical music setting. However the sub-plot was a little too invasive.
Alice
Love the whole series. Best to start from the beginning to see the character and situations develop. Great puns.
Susan Swansburg
Not exactly what I expected... I liked the main characters enough to want to read another in the series.
Kay
Shirley Webber put me on to this series, loved the first one a lot, read them all.
Heather
I really enjoyed her writing and the characters. Will definitely read more.
Karen Casey
Good British Whodunit, detective with a conscience.
  • A Touch Of Frost (Inspector Frost, #2)
  • Murder At Madingley Grange
  • Death And The Chaste Apprentice (Charlie Peace, #1)
  • The Wyndham Case (Imogen Quy, #1)
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • Fatal Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #2)
  • A Season for Murder (Mitchell and Markby Village, #2)
  • Flesh & Blood (Frank Elder, #1)
  • The Secrets of Pain (Merrily Watkins, #11)
  • Ruling Passion (Dalziel & Pascoe, #3)
  • The Betrayal of Trust (Simon Serrailler, #6)
  • Six Feet Under
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • Blanche on the Lam
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles (aka Emma Woodhouse, Elizabeth Bennett)

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles was born on13 August 1948 in Shepherd's Bush, London, England, where was educated at Burlington School, a girls' charity school founded in 1699, and at the University of Edinburgh and University College London, where she studied English, history and philosophy.

She had a variety of jobs in the commercial world, start
More about Cynthia Harrod-Eagles...
The Founding (The Morland Dynasty, #1) The Dark Rose (The Morland Dynasty, #2) The Princeling (Morland Dynasty, #3) The Oak Apple (Morland Dynasty, #4) The Black Pearl (The Morland Dynasty, #5)