Start by marking “Grave Music (Bill Slider, #4)” as Want to Read:
Grave Music (Bill Slider, #4)

Grave Music (Bill Slider #4)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Slider and Joanna's on-again, off-again romance is off when murder at the Royal London Philharmonica throws them together--in this droll, beguiling police procedural, the fourth in the series by one of the best of the British mystery mavens (Cleveland Plain Dealer).
Hardcover
Published May 1st 1995 by Scribner Book Company (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Grave Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grave Music

Damaskcat
Sir Stefan Radek is not the most sympathetic of murder victims and Bill Slider has his work cut out to identify the murderer in this complex murder mystery. He is also trying to deal with his divorce and his estrangement from Joanna, the love of his life. As it happens Joanna witnessed the killing as she was playing in the orchestra at the rehearsal at which Radek, the conductor, was shot dead.

This is an interesting and well written mystery with plenty of believable – if not always likeable – ch
Nancy
Grave Music is a police procedural with plenty of suspects and intersecting threads. It is a competent mystery which I may be underrating because I read books 5 and 6 in the series before reading this one (#4) so know what happens in the personal lives of some of the characters. That takes away a bit of the tension. Still, I zipped through it in a couple days.
Beth
London Detective Inspector Bill Strider is down on his luck. His wife has recently left him for another man and Joanna, the woman he's in love with, wants nothing to do with him. He is sent to investigate the murder of world famous (though little liked) conductor, Sir Stefan Radek,who was murdered during a rehearsal of the London Philharmonic orchestra at a neo-Byzantine church. But there's an upside for the Inspector -- it brings him back into contact with Joanna, who is a violinist and was at ...more
Dana Garner
Excellent -- clever, humorous writing. I love Bill Slider!
Catherine Woodman
This is a very good series, with Bill Slider as the lead detective and quirky hero. His wife has left him becasue he was never there--becasue of his work, not his affair with another woman, who also leaves him, so he is on his own and he has to sole the mystery of the murder of a famous conductor--well written.
Elizabeth
Now that the marriage/affair issue is resolved, I'm liking this series more. The witticisms continue, not as densely packed as a Lord Peter/Harriet Vane novel but very much in evidence and very clever. The plot is interesting. I'm still feeling wary about this series but I hope to be less judgmental in the future.
Candy Wood
Police procedural and the classical music scene in London--beginning of good series. Or maybe not, since I see that Goodreads says it's #4. It must have felt like the beginning when I read it, even though I had already read others in the series.
Kyrie
I love the wordplay in these mysteries. I'd read them just for that, but the plots are well done and so is the back story. I managed to figure out one key part early, but the rest was well hidden and a surprise.
Ruth
It's amazing the difference in language in this book compared to some of the others I have recently read.
Alice
A crucial book in the series as it introduces a significant character. I really enjoy this whole series.
Margareth8537
Read this under its alternative title Dead End. Another entertaining Bill Slider 'policier'.
Craig
I liked this one better than Death Watch. Better writing, better plot, more character depth.
Susan Union
A compelling, satisfying mystery.
Anne
Ooh, goodie, a new series to love!
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Abraham Reed
Abraham Reed marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Iris Ball
Iris Ball marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Candace Watson
Candace Watson marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Malcontenta (Brock & Kolla, #2)
  • The Picasso Scam (Charlie Priest, #1)
  • A Word After Dying (Mitchell and Markby, #10)
  • A Touch Of Frost (Inspector Frost, #2)
  • Plots and Errors (Lloyd & Hill, #10)
  • Losing Ground (Inspector Sloan #22)
  • Murder Among the OWLS (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #14)
  • The Wandering Soul Murders (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #3)
  • The Bad Quarto (Imogen Quy, #4)
  • The Night She Died
  • Funeral Music
  • December Heat
  • A Dark Devotion
  • Rough Treatment (Charlie Resnick, #2)
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles (aka Emma Woodhouse, Elizabeth Bennett)

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles was born on 13 August 1948 in Shepherd's Bush, London, England, where was educated at Burlington School, a girls' charity school founded in 1699, and at the University of Edinburgh and University College London, where she studied English, history and philosophy.

She had a variety of jobs in the commercial world, star
More about Cynthia Harrod-Eagles...

Bill Slider (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Orchestrated Death
  • Death Watch (Bill Slider, #2)
  • Death to Go (Bill Slider, #3)
  • Blood Lines (Bill Slider, #5)
  • Killing Time (Bill Slider #6)
  • Shallow Grave (Bill Slider,#7)
  • Blood Sinister (Bill Slider, #8)
  • Gone Tomorrow (Bill Slider, #9)
  • Dear Departed (Bill Slider, #10)
  • Game Over (Bill Slider, #11)
The Founding (The Morland Dynasty, #1) The Dark Rose (The Morland Dynasty, #2) The Princeling (Morland Dynasty, #3) The Oak Apple (Morland Dynasty, #4) The Black Pearl (The Morland Dynasty, #5)