Percy Jackson and the Singer of Apollo (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5.5)

Percy Jackson and the Singer of Apollo (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #5.5)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  576 ratings  ·  44 reviews
A short story involving our favorite satyr Grover Underwood, Percy Jackson, and the Lord Apollo!

This is a new short story written by Rick Riordan, set after the 5th book in the Percy Jackson series, THE LAST OLYMPIAN.

This story is set BEFORE the Heroes of Olympus series by the same author.

Link to the original transcribed first chapter can be found here: http://thehermese...more
30 pages
Published September 17th 2013

Shruti
EDIT: Guys! You can now read an online version of the first chapter here!

ASDKJSLFDSLKMFS.

The first chapter is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING (the link can be found in the book's description). I'm so glad Rick's writing all these short stories while us desperate fans wait for the release of House of Hades, after that gigantic Rickhanger that was Mark of Athena. :O

A moment, please, while I go and sob in the corner. The gods are cruel to Percabeth. D':

Anyway.

Fellow PJ fa...more
Garima
For those of you wondering where you can find this story, it can be found in the book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

-----

Anyways, on to the actual story. I'm not going to lie; I was a bit disappointed by this. Maybe it's because this one was kind of short.

When I heard about this story, I was really excited. I couldn't wait to read another first POV Percy story, especially after reading all of Rick's other short stories which were basically perfect. I'm not saying this story was bad....more
Ellie
Mar 11, 2013 Ellie marked it as to-read
Wait....what?

Is this a hoax? Is it real? Rick hasn't said ANYTHING about this on his blog (that I've seen), and I check it regularly....

Huh????
Caroline
oh my gods. i love this book and rick and percy and grover and apollo so much (well of course. he's the sun god and he's hot).

first off, as always, the beginning of the book is awesome. i miss reading in percy's point of view so much which is definitely better the the third person point of view in Heroes of Olympus. i love rick's writing style and it is always fun and hilarious. and a bit sarcastic?

now here goes the spoiler part. (view spoiler)...more
Me the Awesome
I really liked the fact that Percy is narrating this story from his point of view, because I like it much better than the third-person narrative of Heroes of Olympus. And I'm real glad Grover is in this story. I missed him.
Sara Ximena
Muy corta pero excelente como todo lo de Percy
cada escena est an http://31.media.tumblr.com/06c70e0b08...
Steven
Great little short story with Percy, Grover, and that pesky Apollo!
Fernanda
No saben cuanto amo a Apolo <3
Temereani
I absolutely loved this short story, however I am going to say something I never say about a book/ story. I wish it was longer, because it just seemed like there could be more added to it,but other than that it was just as good as the others. Great humour, characters, story and can be found in this book called Other Worlds https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... along with other great short stories if you don't want to read the online version.
Nickie
I was able to finally read this section of Percy Jackson's life in Guys Read Other Worlds. I had been looking online and could not find a complete copy of the short story. Instead it was actually one chapter in the short story compilation put together by Jon Scieszka. (which I recommend you read the whole book if you check it out and enjoy the Percy Jackson piece.)

Now the Percy Jackson piece feels so short compared to all the novels I have read. It was 65 pages reading in a ebook on my phone. Wh...more
Rizwan
Meh. Sometimes its better not reading the short stories on offer. This was a disappointment, more so because it took me longer to track down the story than it took to finish reading it.
Natalia
Penelope
Gretchen
it was a really good short story! thanks rick! i wish annabeth was featured though. oh well.
Alex
Esta es una de las historia más divertidas que he leído de Rick Riordan :') Aún me estoy riendo.
Gabriella Benedicta
Excellent work, Rick Riordan! You never fail to satisfy and surprise me.
luca sardelis
i liked it a=but i think quite simarly of it as i did of sun of sobek.

i think it was great to just get another short of the characters before october 8 but i just feel that maybe some of these shorts need abit more of the characters involed rather then just the whole "lets quickly go off on another gods errand" but i still liked it dont get me wrong, the day it came out i dropped all my other books and read this and i will still continue to do that for any other shorts i just with that there was...more
Jesslynman Pei sze
Still a work in progress
Negar
خندیدم جدا. همین فقط :)
Julia
I found a link online to the full book, and it was great. I had already read the house of hades and I didn't know this book even existed. It's a wonderful read, and I loved the way Rick always hooks you at the first sentence. Go Percy!
Ashanti Evadista
No me canso de Percy <3
Jean
Overall, this is a typical, funny novella starring Percy Jackson. It's very short, so it lacked for me the magic of the full-length novels. I found this story in the collection Guys Read  Other Worlds (Guys Read, #4) by Jon Scieszka.
Darlalala
I am lucky enough to have read it before it was taken down in http://t.co/hdVc7W5Dbr

Oh harper Collins. Why do you have to remove the Percy story from the preview?
Please Rick, next time the short story be anything other than a mini quest from some god..
Do some normal stuff but maybe inject some magic in it. I don't know, you can think of something.
Emily
So refreshing to hear something from Percy's POV again! The humor made me nostalgic.
But.
People.
When does this take place?!?!
Percy was taken two months after The Last Olympian. The Last Olympian took place in August. THIS SHORT TAKES PLACE IN SPRING. THIS CANNOT BE A POST-TLO/PRE-TLH BOOK.
So is this a post HoO??? Someone inform me!
A Lee
Jan 12, 2014 A Lee marked it as to-read
This story is located in "Guys Read: Other Worlds" which is an anthology.
Meli
Corta pero me gusto volver a leer a Percy. Haberlo leído en inglés fue raro pero no me molestó.

Las partes en las que Percy mencionaba a Annabeth me dieron mucha ternura y también la parte en la que dice "Annabeth's anger was way scarier than most monsters, but don't tell her I said that"

Simple pero muy lindo.
Luciana
No se imaginan lo mucho que extrañaba leer un poco de Percy. Aunque esta historia sea muy corta, me gustó mucho.

"It's a trick, Seaweed Brain! You've got to trick her back or you'll die. And if you die, I'll never forgive you!"
Angelica Grace
it was okay for me. but it was more of a fan fic for me, but it didn't disappoint me, there's still the quirky antics from rick riordan that made the story, worth reading.

i'm starting reading e-books because of this! :D
  • The First Kiss (The Iron Fey, #1.25)
  • City of Glass: Jocelyn's Story (The Mortal Instruments Extras, #3.9)
  • Goddess in Time (Oh. My. Gods, #2.1)
  • Little Knife (The Grisha, #2.6)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • Return to Paradise (Lorien Legacies: The Lost Files, #8)
  • Starcrossed City (Starcrossed #0.5)
  • The Assassin and the Healer (Throne of Glass, #0.2)
  • Tales of the Greek Heroes: Retold From the Ancient Authors
  • Fireworks (The 39 Clues: Rapid Fire, #7)
  • Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.1)
  • The Proposal (Wait for You, #2.5)
  • Dead to Me (The Heir Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise
  • Sweet Peril Extra #1 (The Sweet Trilogy, #2.1)

More about Rick Riordan...
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)

“On a bad day, he could only remember Justin Bieber songs, which didn't do anything except give me a headache.” 8 likes