Start by marking “Horses and Heroin (Racetrack Romance #4)” as Want to Read:
Horses and Heroin (Racetrack Romance #4)

Horses and Heroin (Racetrack Romance #4)

JOCKEY SCHOOL IS NOT WHAT IT SEEMS.

A talented rider disappears without a trace.
His frantic sister poses as a student.
A private investigator's plans for quiet recuperation are shattered.

Megan is determined to find her missing brother even though no one else at the illustrious California Jockey School seems to care. Her only ally is a recuperating PI who unfortunately is the
Published November 15th 2012 by Westerhall

To ask other readers questions about Horses and Heroin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horses and Heroin

Jonel Boyko
Dec 15, 2012 Jonel Boyko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was extremely refreshing to read. The author wrote about training to enter the equine racing industry. She also did so with knowledge. She didn’t take the route that so many authors take, skimming over the entire workings of the industry. Pettersen took the time to fill in the details with true facts. Pettersen also writes about a PI investigation in a realistic manner. People don’t run around in this book with guns blazing all the time. They investigate and act appropriately rather th ...more
Margaret (Margot)
My first read of this author. A creative story with a new environment (for me). The character development was good. The passion was delayed respectably which provided a believable dynamic to the budding relationship. I felt the pace was a little slow at times, maybe a little too drawn out. Perhaps a little too much self reflection by the characters of thoughts, actions and possibilities.

For the better part of the story, the plot centered around the search for a missing man. It was a good story,
Tina
Dec 23, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
Another great read from Bev Pettersen. This is the fifth book in the series and I could not put it down until I got to the end. I love reading series and have read all the books in this one, and what I really like is that you do not have to read the previous books before you read this one. I like how Bev uses the horse racing world in these stories that are full of romance and suspense that you can’t help but want to find out what will happen next.

Megan’s brother is missing, so she decides the
Lauren
Nov 26, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Really a 2 star for me as a non-romance reader, but a 4 star as a romance so I'm trying to be fair. If you like the normal romance genre - girl meets guy, fall in love, silly mis-communications separate them, mis-communications repaired in the the knick of time and finally cue the curtain roll on an assumed happily ever after than here you go, it's all there. I got this for free and as a horse person I like to read just about anything equine. Bev Pettersen is clearly a horse person so at least I ...more
Emily
Feb 27, 2013 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Terri
Dec 22, 2012 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this was the last of Bev Pettersen's books for me. I've read them all now, and the only thing I don't like about her books, is that there are no more.

Fantastic read. Started it at about 4pm and finished it about 5am. Had a few interruptions I had to deal with, but didn't let a little think like sleep get in the way of this great read.

Horses aren't really my thing, and I've never been on a racetrack, but I have really enjoyed learning all about them both through her books. Great characteriz
Kari Hakkers
This was my first book that I've read from Bev Pettersen and it won't be my last! This storyline had romance,mystery,suspense and interesting characters too. It was informative for me as I don't know much about horses but I definitely didn't feel left out of the loop-- many times I felt like I was working alongside the characters in the horse stalls! This was a fun read and an enjoyable escape- read for me! I recommend this book to others and I will be reading more of this author.
Steph McVicker
Jun 24, 2013 Steph McVicker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic book Horses & Heroin is! I absolutely adored Megan & Scott and thought that their love story played in perfectly with the mystery and intrigue in this book. It was refreshing to see Megan, who has zero investigative skills, put her life on hold and join a jockey school to try and find out what happened to her missing brother Joey. I wish she would have put more trust in Scott throughout the story since you can tell how much he adored her & wanted their relationship t ...more
C-shaw
Feb 21, 2013 C-shaw rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yet another free Kindle download.
* * * * *
This is turning out to be a pretty good mystery about a jockey school in the SW U.S., with a jockey student who disappears while delivering horses in Mexico. His sister surreptitiously investigates while she takes classes at the school as a cover. There is a hunky P.I., friend of the school owner, who shows up to take some time off while recovering from an injury received on his last case. Of course, he and the sister are going to have a RO-mance while t
Crystal Yawn
Jun 18, 2013 Crystal Yawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good story. The characters were very likable/unlikable depending on what the writer wanted. Megan is searching for her brother. She ends up making great friends, finding out shes going to be an aunt and falling in love. Their is a great mystery to follow and all the bad guys are not 100% clear till the end. Keeps ya guessing. I enjoyed the story very much and will buy more of this series.

My problems with the book. Scott is wishy washy character. He's susposed to be a big,bad, in contr
Charissa
Jul 07, 2013 Charissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This was a great mystery and suspense. The romance between Megan and Scott grows too fast and seemed forced, but I can forgive it because the rest was so well done. Megan’s brother has disappeared from a California jockey school with no trace. The school blames heroin and insists that he was a dealer and escaped when they became wise to him. Megan doesn’t believe the story, and enrolls at the school to get answers. With a different last name than her brother, no one knows she is his sister as sh ...more
Sylvia
Sep 12, 2014 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Horses and Heroin is yet another engrossing read by Bev Pettersen. It was filled to the brim with an inner knowledge of the training found behind the mysterious world of horse racing. Most of us simply enjoy watching The Kentucky Derby once a year and never give a second thought to what just may be happening behind the scenes. After reading Bev's novels, you will never watch a horse race the same again!

This was a wonderful mesh between romance and suspense. Bev has a talent for this! In most ro
Carmalee
Sep 05, 2016 Carmalee rated it really liked it
Fun read

This book is fast paced and kept me turning pages. It's centered around a school to train people for the horse racing industry and there are some horse scenes although I would have liked more. But with that amount of horse material, even if you're not a horse lover, you'll like this book if your genre is romantic mysteries.
Heather andrews
Feb 09, 2014 Heather andrews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a little different then the others there's more mystery then romance and I actually liked that. As every other guy Bev writes about I fell in love with Scott, "he paused. Odd questions hut promising, very promising. Anticipation swept him at the memory of those elegant legs, encased in tight jeans, the cotton shirt that couldn't hide her curves. He'd always loved a ranch girl. Id she wanted a massage, Christ, yes, he did messages." The thing about Scott is he's always willing to put ...more
My Book Addiction and More MBA
HORSES AND HEROIN by Bev Pettersen is an exciting romantic suspense. A thrill ride of excitement. With horses,horse racing,passion,danger,throughbreds,conspiracy and a bidding romance,what's not to enjoy. Ms. Pettersen's plot is intriguing,her characters are engaging and passionate. You can tell she has extensive knowledge of horses,horse country,and the danger that lays within. A compelling story of intrigue,mystery,suspense,murder and addiction. Oh,of course romance. A wonderful read from star ...more
Tamera
Feb 16, 2016 Tamera rated it liked it
Well, based on the horrible title, I didn't have high expectations for this story. However, I liked this romance. It was a pretty quick read, although I figured out immediately who the villians in the story were. It has a lot of information about horses, which sometimes bogged down the story for me. Aside from that, I liked the characters and found the glimpse into horse racing interesting. Too bad it couldn't be re-titled, but this is definately a case of don't judge a book by it's... title.
Lori Ryan
Apr 26, 2013 Lori Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge Bev Petterson fan. When I first began this book, I didn't think I'd like it as much as her other books, but in the end I think it may be my favorite. I love the characters and the setting. Love the suspense of it.

I do like the 'feel' of the behind the scenes at the racetrack settings of her other books better, but the characters made up for missing that in this one.

Highly recommend it!
Katie
Aug 23, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. It was great. Perfectly applicable title and cover, which was rather clever play on words and street slang. No idea why this book has been renamed and given a cover that does not apply.

The story hooked you from the first few pages. I read 80% of it before I had to sleep. Then finished it as soon as I woke up. Solid characters. Good plot progression. I'll be reading more of this author.
Fragmentage
Jun 02, 2013 Fragmentage rated it really liked it
Like Thoroughbreds and Trailer Trash by the same author, I enjoyed this easy relaxing read. Too-gorgeous-to-be-true characters, romance, drama, crime, some hardship - but never too difficult to overcome - and horses are a winning combination apparently. Works for me, especially when life is complicated and I need to escape - if only between pages :-)
Rhonda Maran
Feb 21, 2013 Rhonda Maran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It has romance between man and woman also has people with a love of animals. I really formed a bond with Megan and felt bad for what she went through in the end. Nobody deserves to be falsely accused then tortured. Everything that she went through was for her brother. I liked that.
Krissys
I felt Horses and Heroin was more of a suspense/mystery/ contemporary novel than a romance but then again there is more romance going on than the actual story so its an even split. I would say that the book as far as character personality and maturity would suit NA genre well but all in all I felt it was a decent read.
Sandy
Mar 08, 2016 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Great read

This was a great read,with a alpha male private investigator a lot of horses and a smart heroine. There was some dangerous drug cartel types and jockeys thrown in for a change from the usual romance.
Maureen Hlavacek
Aug 11, 2013 Maureen Hlavacek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-cloud
A 3 star mystery, 4 star romance. Love the race stable setting and characters. The romance was predictable but good tension, although the miscommunication dragged a bit beyond belief. I did enjoy the book as a pleasant romance.
sue williams
Jan 15, 2014 sue williams rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book

What can I say this book is a fantastic read another book I couldn't put down from Bev Pettersen. I will be reading all of her books you will not regret getting one of Bevs books. A very talented author
Rebecca Boehringer
There is something about this author's stories that I find appealing... a little romance, a lot of horse racing behind the scenes and of course, a mystery. I read a lot of Dick Francis books and enjoyed them also.
sheila
Jan 24, 2016 sheila rated it really liked it
Really good

Scott's not perfect. But he is a good, dependable man. He is blinded by his hate of anyone involved or might be involved with drugs. Too quick in judgements. Megan is a very loyal silent person. Enjoyed this story very much
Paganalexandria
Sep 11, 2014 Paganalexandria marked it as in-collection-already  ·  review of another edition
I saw this title and thought...

description

"If you want to ride
Dont ride the white horse"

It was free,so couldn't resist it. LOL
Anna
Jul 22, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
You can tell this is one of the author's earliest efforts. Although good by most authors' standards, Horses and Heroin doesn't hold a candle to Bev's later books. But it's still worth a read if you want a peek into what jockey-training school might be like.
Katie Chapman
Dec 26, 2015 Katie Chapman rated it it was amazing
Excellent

I love reading about things that are unfamiliar to me and this book definitely did that. It is well written, full of surprises, and interesting characters. Planning to read book two.
Rebecca
Apr 01, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-free
I usually skip the romance books, but this one also had horses... And I liked it far more than I expected. Great characters, great plot, nice horses. I personally would have preferred less detail on the sex scenes, but at least it avoided the conventions I despise most.
  • Necessary Detour
  • Kingdom by the Sea
  • Tell Me No Lies
  • A Stranger's Touch (Psychic Heat Book #1)
  • Hooked (Romance on the Edge, #2)
  • The Breakup
  • More Than Memories
  • My Everything
  • InSight
  • Ring of Lies
  • The Good Daughter (Vista Security, #1)
  • The Bad Ass Brigade
  • The Mother Load
  • Lawless (Aspen, #2)
  • Shades of Gray
  • Roll The Dice (Vegas, #2)
  • By Hook or By Crook
  • For Internal Use Only
Bev Pettersen is a three-time nominee in the National Readers Choice Award as well as a two-time finalist in the Romance Writers of America's Golden Heart® Contest. She competed for five years on the Alberta Thoroughbred race circuit and is an Equine Canada certified coach. She lives in Nova Scotia with her family, and when she's not writing novels, she's riding. Visit her at http://www.bevpetters ...more
More about Bev Pettersen...

Racetrack Romance (4 books)
  • Color My Horse (Racetrack Romance, #1)
  • Fillies and Females (Racetrack Romance #2)
  • Jockeys and Jewels (Racetrack Romance, #3)

“Your father is in England. Remember? You gave him tickets to the Cheltenham Gold Cup.” 0 likes
“The last time he’d seen her so vulnerable was when her husband had been blindsided at a traffic light. He rose to his feet and wrapped her in a reassuring hug. “It’ll take more than a trigger-happy punk to kill me,” he said. “And the headaches are fading.” 0 likes