The Party Forever: Why China's Communist Leadership Is Stronger Than Ever and How They Will Rule the New Era

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Published September 17th 2013 by Palgrave Macmillan

David Duncan
May 03, 2014 David Duncan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any adults
Shelves: first-reads
This is my thirty-sixth book that I have received and read from Goodreads. I thought that the author Rowan Callick,did a really through job of researching this book.
One of the things I found really interesting is, as big as China is they operate on only one time,and that is Beijing time. It's schools, business, and government offices all operate on Beijing time, which means that they start studying and working in theory at least when it is still pitch dark. Basically there is only one time zone...more
Charles
I received an advance copy of The Party Forever as part of the Goodreads giveaway program. I've been fascinated by the inner workings of the Chinese Communist Party for years and visits to Beijing in years past just heightened that as I walked around the exterior of the Party compound of Zhongnanhai and speculated on what life must be like for those inside. As a result I was excited to receive this book and to see what Rowan Callick could share that went beyond the normal flow of articles in The...more
Tom Donaghey
In ‘The Wizard of Oz” there is the defining moment when, confronted by the Great and Powerful Wizard of Oz in his chambers after dissolving the wicked witch, brave little Toto steps forth, pulls back the curtain and reveals the real power behind the façade. It is the moment when we the audience realize that our expectations and concepts have yet again been turned on their collective heads and suddenly we see the truth.
While this book helps to tear away the curtain, it only begins to reveal the...more
Socraticgadfly
Good overview of where China stands today as a nation-state, followed by a look at it as an economy.

I had one main takeaway from this book. Many newspaper stories talk about the number of state-owned industries and businesses in China. But, that may be inaccurate, and if not, it's at least misleading. What Westerners (and counting Australians like the author in that circle) really need to look at (or do, in the case of the author) is the number of **party** owned businesses.

Callick makes clear t...more
Douglas MacKenzie
Worth taking the time to read, not a huge amount of insights but that is not surprising, considering the subject matter.
Tracey
Oct 16, 2013 Tracey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
nonfiction; China/politics. I wanted to finish this one, but ended up skimming the last 2/3. I also wanted to like it more and find it more insightful, but that didn't happen.
This is a thoroughly researched book but my attention span was no match for it.
Susheel
Susheel marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Joseph Rivers
Joseph Rivers marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Silverprime
Silverprime is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2014
Yanyan
Yanyan marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Phil Melton
Phil Melton marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Bonnie Shaw
Bonnie Shaw marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Kathy Trieu
Kathy Trieu marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Jessica Leighanne
Jessica Leighanne is currently reading it
Nov 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Party Time: Who Runs China and How The Party Forever: Inside China's Modern Communist Elite Comrades & Capitalists: Hong Kong Since the Handover