Start by marking “The Party Forever: Why China's Communist Leadership Is Stronger Than Ever and How They Will Rule the New Era” as Want to Read:

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Published September 17th 2013 by Palgrave Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about The Party Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Party Forever

David Duncan
May 03, 2014 David Duncan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any adults
Shelves: first-reads
This is my thirty-sixth book that I have received and read from Goodreads. I thought that the author Rowan Callick,did a really through job of researching this book.
One of the things I found really interesting is, as big as China is they operate on only one time,and that is Beijing time. It's schools, business, and government offices all operate on Beijing time, which means that they start studying and working in theory at least when it is still pitch dark. Basically there is only one time zone
Charles
I received an advance copy of The Party Forever as part of the Goodreads giveaway program. I've been fascinated by the inner workings of the Chinese Communist Party for years and visits to Beijing in years past just heightened that as I walked around the exterior of the Party compound of Zhongnanhai and speculated on what life must be like for those inside. As a result I was excited to receive this book and to see what Rowan Callick could share that went beyond the normal flow of articles in The ...more
Tom Donaghey
In ‘The Wizard of Oz” there is the defining moment when, confronted by the Great and Powerful Wizard of Oz in his chambers after dissolving the wicked witch, brave little Toto steps forth, pulls back the curtain and reveals the real power behind the façade. It is the moment when we the audience realize that our expectations and concepts have yet again been turned on their collective heads and suddenly we see the truth.
While this book helps to tear away the curtain, it only begins to reveal the
Socraticgadfly
Good overview of where China stands today as a nation-state, followed by a look at it as an economy.

I had one main takeaway from this book. Many newspaper stories talk about the number of state-owned industries and businesses in China. But, that may be inaccurate, and if not, it's at least misleading. What Westerners (and counting Australians like the author in that circle) really need to look at (or do, in the case of the author) is the number of **party** owned businesses.

Callick makes clear t
Douglas MacKenzie
Worth taking the time to read, not a huge amount of insights but that is not surprising, considering the subject matter.
Whitney Delgado
I don't read non-fiction very often, and I didn't finish the book. I had about 50 pages left but I wasn't interested enough to finish it. This book has its moments, I did learn some interesting facts about the communist party in China. It isn't my favorite book but I'm not sure if that's because I'm normally not much of a non-fiction reader. It was interesting but not interesting enough to finish.

*I received this book for free from Goodreads First Reads.
Tracey
Oct 16, 2013 Tracey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
nonfiction; China/politics. I wanted to finish this one, but ended up skimming the last 2/3. I also wanted to like it more and find it more insightful, but that didn't happen.
This is a thoroughly researched book but my attention span was no match for it.
Ryoko
Ryoko marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Cindee
Cindee marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Bookwench69
Bookwench69 marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Shirley Hung
Shirley Hung is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2015
Natalia
Natalia marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
K
K marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Tan
Tan marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Susheel
Susheel marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Joseph Rivers
Joseph Rivers marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Silverprime
Silverprime is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2014
Yanyan
Yanyan marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • What Chinese Want: Culture, Communism and the Modern Chinese Consumer
  • Snow Adrift
  • China Goes Global: The Partial Power
  • Battle for Ground Zero: Inside the Political Struggle to Rebuild the World Trade Center
  • Canton Elegy: A Father's Letter of Sacrifice, Survival, and Enduring Love
  • Conquest Earth (Tarizon Trilogy #3)
  • Tragic (Butch Karp #25)
  • On Western Terrorism: From Hiroshima to Drone Warfare
  • The End of Plagues: The Global Battle Against Infectious Disease
  • Art on the Block: Tracking the New York Art World from SoHo to the Bowery, Bushwick and Beyond
  • Bankrupting Physics: How Today's Top Scientists are Gambling Away Their Credibility
  • Inferno Revealed: From Dante to Dan Brown
  • Everlasting Green: Stories of Faith, Hope, and Charity
  • Tilting at Mountains: Love, Tragedy, and Triumph on the World's Highest Peaks
  • Deadly Diamonds
  • JFK in the Senate: Pathway to the Presidency
  • William Shakespeare and Others: Collaborative Plays
  • Vital Face: Facial Exercises and Massage for Health and Beauty
Party Time: Who Runs China and How The Party Forever: Inside China's Modern Communist Elite Comrades & Capitalists: Hong Kong Since the Handover