Start by marking “Patriot Acts” as Want to Read:
Patriot Acts

Patriot Acts (Atticus Kodiak #6)

For the first time in his life, professional bodyguard Atticus Kodiak is laying low--with Alena Cizkova, aka Drama, once the world's premier assassin and now the target of assassination herself. Atticus and Alena are wounded, alone, and on the run. They're being hunted across the world by someone more powerful than the mob, the FBI, or the CIA--and if they don't guess who ...more
Audio CD
Published August 7th 2007 by AudioGO (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Patriot Acts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patriot Acts

Jeremiah Genest
I started reading it and then stopped. And I've officially given up on this book, I returned it to the Library Saturday. Maybe I'll try again in the future, bbcause I really enjoyed the first few of these books, but the shift towards James Bond has left me a little cold.
Jun 26, 2011 J.D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, you need to be warned: this book is actually the second half of the story that began in Critical Space; it picks up literally minutes after the end of that book. If you did what I did and start reading Patriot Acts before its predecessor, you're not going to know what the hell is going on or why you should care. This pissed me off more than a little, since there is no indication anywhere on the cover or inside of the edition I got that this is the case. Nevertheless, I bit the bullet, ...more
Jul 18, 2014 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, thriller
Up until Patriot Acts, I've loved the Atticus Kodiak series. The characters were well written, three dimensional people who seemed real enough to walk off the page. The plots were expertly constructed, speeding along through twists and turns like a roller coaster. It would be easy to write a book about bodyguards in a way that was fun and engaging to read but didn't seem based in reality, and Rucka side stepped that trap beautifully. One of my favorite things about this series is how real it all ...more
Nov 13, 2012 J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patriot Acts is a damn fine novel that has one truly fatal flaw; that ending. I won't spoil it, but to suffice to say that all the buildup that Rucka does over the course of the novel fizzles with anticlimax the way I have never truly experienced before. I understand the reasoning behind it. I do not think that it worked. Everything leading up to that point however is some of the best action-thriller writing I have ever absorbed. Rucka turns Atticus Kodiak into something completely different wit ...more
I was recommended this series by my college friend Kirk Brennan, and having read excerpts on the author's web site, I was sufficiently intrigued to run down to the local Barnes and Noble. They only had this one, the 5th in the series, which I would not recommend anyone else start with. The series started with the protagonist, Atticus Kodiak, as a bodyguard in a noir style, and starting with the previous book in the series, he morphed into a Jason Bourne-ish international assassin/man of mystery. ...more
Nov 30, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Hard to say why I found this Atticus Kodiak book so very disappointing after Critical Space, but it felt like a new direction for this character, and one I don't much like.

In his best stuff, Rucka is kind of like the Ricky Jay of action thrillers: He's good with the close-up work, with stuff that makes the most of his deep knowledge of ordnance, and martial arts, and hand-to-hand, and similar such things. In the earlier books in this series, the plots hew closely (at least initially) to things
Carlos JP Navia
Sep 23, 2012 Carlos JP Navia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure at first if I'd like it. I rarely read spy (or, to be precise, assassin) thrillers. But I liked the author's mixture of "macho" noir, Spartan narrative, including the protagonist's rather practical-minded stream of consciousness, and tale of desperate love.

I did encounter one section I found rather less entertaining. At one point, the author carries on about the hypothetical steps one would take if one was to find themselves wanting to quit the business of assassination. He carrie
Feb 16, 2009 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book begins right after Critical Space.
In the previous book, Drama's real name was revealed as Alena Cizkova. She was an orphan, abused while still a child then trained in the Soviet Union as an assassin. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, she became a murderer for hire, taking only the most difficult jobs. When Oxford, attacked their safe house a second time, Atticus armed with a sniper rifle, was unable to shoot him in cold blood. Alena, knowing that he will not be able to do so, was
I can't decide if I like the direction the series has taken or not. I think I do, but I also really like the first three books. I find it hard to see them all as being the same series. It's like the first three (Finder, Keeper and Smoker were real life and the others (Critical Space, Patriot Acts and Walking Dead are all in an alternate dimension.
***Dave Hill
Dec 14, 2011 ***Dave Hill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text
(Original review:

The latest Atticus Kodiak novel, "Patriot Acts" brings the former bodyguard deeper into the world of covert operations and assassination-for-hire. I’ve long regretted that direction, but Rucka handles it beautifully, spanning multiple continents, realistic blocks of time, and telling a very human story of bloodshed, tenderness, betrayal, loyalty, conspiracies, and the “spy stuff” that he so excels in.

The tone continues to remind me of P
The saga of Atticus Kodiak finally continues; this novel is set immediately after the previous, when Atticus has hooked up with Drama, the Russian super-assassin. Now, they are ambushed by mercenaries, and Natalie is killed. Atticus and Drama go into hiding for three years, then emerge to kill the man who gave the order --- Jason Earle, the White House Chief of Staff (a thinly disguised Dick Cheney, with his Halliburton connections).

I was, I'm afraid, on the whole disappointed with this book. Ru
Thacher Cleveland
Ultimately my enjoyment of this one suffered because it wasn't the Atticus book I wanted. After an absence of so many years, I wanted certain characters and certain things done in a certain way, and kept holding my breath every chapter that those things were going to happen. "Critical Space" is really the last of the "Bodyguard Atticus" books. This is something new, and I think I'll enjoy the next book in the series, which is coming out sometime in '09, all the more now that I've made that reali ...more
Alison Dellit
Apr 26, 2012 Alison Dellit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy, fiction
This wasn't as good as I expected from Rucka. In this and the previous Atticus novel, it seems as if Atticus' world is shrinking. Part of what I liked about the series was the complex network of relationships Atticus maintains, and the complex world between personal morality and rules and public good that he navigates. In moving into a spy-type world, those relationships have fallen away, and the morality questions, while more high stakes, seem less negotiable. And that's just less fun. Still pl ...more
Mar 11, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the Atticus Kodiak bodyguard series, where the characters actually change & evolve in believable ways.

Atticus’s association with elite assassin Elena turns deadly. Again. When Atticus is mistakenly identified as one of “The Ten” (the world’s most wanted hitmen) he and Elena’s efforts to find safety may force Atticus to take that last step from bodyguard to hitman. The action grabs you by the throat and never lets go. Laced with bitterness, the book explores more of the motivations and m
Nov 24, 2012 Micah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is an acceptable thriller with bonus points for the latter part taking place in areas I grew up. It is not my favorite of the Kodiak books or of Rucka's work in general, but it gets the job done if you're in the mood for this sort of thriller novel. I liked the ending. It felt satisfying and kept with this series' verisimilitude. No major social quibbles. a few of the lines make you roll your eyes hard core.
Randy Lander
Rucka's books continue to be page-turners (I read this across two long sessions in two nights), but Atticus Kodiak has gone from a likable, somewhat realistic bodyguard to a nigh-superheroic conflicted assassin, and I have to admit, I miss the guy who had friends, a girlfriend and a more realistic job, rather than the guy on the run with his super-assassin girlfriend taking on White House conspiracies.
Johnny Williams
Well -- this book left me flat-- It seems that Rucka had nothing else to do one day so he wrote a book-- Its a long ways into a series -- and no I hadn't read the any of the preceding -- but how was Ito know--
Probably if you are already a fan and into the characters --you will like it much more--if not --DO NOT PICK UP THIS BOOK
Christopher Allen
Sep 15, 2013 Christopher Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harrowing and suspenseful, warm and sympathetic. I came a little late to Atticus Kodiak novels, so I haven't seen the beginning of the journey, but that doesn't take away from how good each book is. Even if this one is your first, it's not hard to get into the Atticus/Elena relationship, or his mission here, to rescue a young girl from an international human trafficking ring.
Neal W
Sep 26, 2013 Neal W rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know the writing theory of going where the story takes you? Well Rucka certainly went overboard with this latest installment. My question is where did the rough and tumble bodyguard go? Bridget and Erika? How do you write off central characters for 5 previous books and just go on a complete tangent? Love the character just not sure I liked the tangent...
This would be a good airplane/beach diversionary book if I didn't expect better from Greg Rucka. The characters are entertaining, the dialogue is believable, and the plot is so full of holes that it barely holds together. Patriot Acts is an OK read, but, hindsight being 20/20, I would rather re-read the amazing Keeper (or the second Tara Chace novel, Private Wars).
I love Greg Rucka and I love Atticus Kodiak, but this book gave the impression that Rucka was done writing this dude, no seriously guys, done for good this time. Whilst it wasn't a bad book, it wasn't nearly as good as the earlier books in the series; on the other hand, if I could love anyone while they phoned it in, it'd be the Rucka.

So, series over! It's for the best.
Sep 06, 2009 Linda rated it really liked it
This best part about this thriller is that Rucka didn't settle for the current fad in bad guys. It was great fun to read a book where the villians weren't Middle Eastern terrorists. There are other nasty people in our world and Rucka uses some them with great success.

This was my first Rucka novel and I will be reading others. This audio version was well read by Jonathan Davis.
Joey Cruz
Aug 10, 2011 Joey Cruz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the weakest of the series, but still satisfying. It starts strong, travels an interesting, at times unexpected road, and ends where it always needed to, but the story itself doesn't feel as strong as the political message, which is sort of a turn off for me. Still, love the characters, love the challenges, it's a good book.
Nov 30, 2013 Aric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greg Rucka's writing has more of an realistic feel than most of his contemporaries and the lead character Atticus Kodiak's metamorphosis from bodyguard to assassin doesn't strain credibility. Though the ending is going to leave some people less than enthralled after being used to Hollywood-type explosive climaxes.
Apr 06, 2009 Lloyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading the entire Atticus Kodiak series back-to-back and have to say that Rucka manages to crank things up a notch with every successive books. Looking forward to Walking Dead!

This series is great fun.
This is a masterclass in thriller writing!
The book goes from strength to strength, it's brimming with intelligence and full of interesting characters.
I'll be visiting waterstones during the week to see if I can pick up anymore books in this series.. So fingers crossed..
Nov 10, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
This is the first book I have read about Atticus Kodiak and I really enjoyed this. Fast paced action, good characters and it kept me guessing to the end. I will go back and read some of the earlier books in this series.
Finding this one of the better books by this author as the story matures. Atticus and Drama/
Alena are running for their lives as they try to escape from the White House Chief of Staff who is trying to tie up his illegal loose ends.
Dec 11, 2009 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007-reads
PROTAGONIST: Atticus Kodiak
SERIES: #6 of 6
RATING: 3.25
WHY: The long-awaited next episode of the Atticus Kodiak series was somewhat of a disappointment to me. I prefer Atticus as a bodyguard, not an assassin. Lots of action, but characterization flatter than roadkill.
Matt Webb
Dec 19, 2007 Matt Webb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thrill seekers
I read this as a simple diversion at the end of a long semester of reading students' papers and books for the Common Read project. I read thrillers for pleasure - this one didn't do much for me - easily forgettable.
  • The Black Diamond Detective Agency
  • Captain America: The Man With No Face
  • The Defection of A.J. Lewinter
  • Severance Package
  • The Couriers: The Complete Series
  • Dead Body Road
  • U.S. Marshals: Inside America's Most Storied Law Enforcement Agency
  • A Life Wild and Perilous: Mountain Men and the Paths to the Pacific
  • The Cold Spot (Cold, #1)
  • Repetition
  • Asphyxia
  • You are Here
  • Con Ed
  • Bumf Vol. 1: I Buggered The Kaiser
  • The Ransom of Black Stealth One (Aerospace Systems, #1)
  • Fight Club #0 FCBD 2015 Edition
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • Angel & Faith: Lost and Found (Season 10, #2)
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...