Start by marking “Wisdom of the Ages: A Modern Master Brings Eternal Truths Into Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
Wisdom of the Ages: A Modern Master Brings Eternal Truths Into Everyday Life

Wisdom of the Ages: A Modern Master Brings Eternal Truths Into Everyday Life

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  955 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time. Footprints, that perhaps another,
Sailing o'er life's solemn main,
A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,
Seeing, shall take heart again.
Audio, Abridged
Published October 7th 1998 by HarperAudio (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Wisdom of the Ages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wisdom of the Ages

Harley
The structure of this book is similar to my motivational blog for creative people. The book is designed to be read in 60 days and promises enlightenment. Wayne Dyer shares a poem or quote from some famous person and then provides commentary about the poem and what it has meant in his life. After his comments, he shares ideas for how one can put the wisdom contained in the poem into one's life. He shares the poem less for the poetic value and more for the wisdom expressed. He quotes spiritual lea ...more
Jeff Maziarek
Mar 24, 2010 Jeff Maziarek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book Dyer references the works of 60 of history's most renowned spiritual teachers by providing insight into their teachings, and applying them to every day life. I found great value in this work, and as such, highly recommend it. Here's a really great quote from it:

“To see the absurdity of impatience in your life, set your watch ahead several hours and tear off several months on you wall calendar. Then see if you have advanced time! The failures and frustrations, along with the immedia
Laurel
Nov 21, 2009 Laurel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From 500 B.C. to the present, Wayne Dyer quotes wise ones from throughout history; of the 60, only five are women. He gives substantial history which is enlightening. I re-read The Tragedy of Julius Caesar after reading about Cicero. The variety of quotations range from familiar to obscure. It's annoying when any living author presents himself as a master; that is for history to decide. His biggest mistake was adding himself to the list of masters with an embarrassingly intimate story of a sexua ...more
Awdhesh Singh
Aug 13, 2015 Awdhesh Singh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book to read and enjoy the wisdom of great thinkers of ages. Most of the wisdom is in the forms of poems. I liked the books due to more due to its quotes and less due to its content. Don't expect much original ideas from the author except validation of the ideas of great thinkers.
Linda
Apr 22, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admittedly like pretty much anything Dr. Dyer writes. This is the one book of his that I turn to almost daily. I bought it about 10 years ago and it still has something new to tell me. My brother recited from memory "When You Are Old" by Yeats at my Grandmothemr's funeral and I hadn't ever heard it all the way through. It was as if Yeats was writing about a woman he would never meet...Byrd Douglas Smith Moore. Dr. Dyer explains that Yeats married late in life and this poem was his declaration ...more
Reem Musaed
Jun 09, 2013 Reem Musaed marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didnt-complete
بكتب عنه بالعربي حتى يسهل على الجميع القراءه..
كنت مرهقه وفتحت الكتاب المسموع منه ، جدا جدا اندمجت!..
من جد بعدها مضيت ساعتين أفكر بالكلام، كان بسيط جدا ... أبسط من أفكاره المعتاده وأبسط من أسلوبه المعتاد .. لكن سبحان الله!
لي عليه ملاحظات..لكن بكمله في الليالي القادمه : "اخترته ككتاب الأرق" .. وأضيف على الريفيو لمن أخلصه ^^
Blake Ruehrwein
Jan 23, 2016 Blake Ruehrwein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wayne Dyer shines as a piece of brilliant crystal as he holds up the wisdom of the ages for all to see through his collection of essays written about quotations from the "Wise of the Ages."

He includes Jesus, Shakespeare, Ghandi, Michelangelo, Emerson and about 55 more souls that shook the world. His essays are inviting, easy to read, and concise. I found myself enjoying almost every passage. The author takes a short few pages to lay out in his words what was meant by the quotation chosen for tha
MizzSandie
This book started out alright for me, but then it got very tiresome and repetitive. It seemed like the same message over and over, some places with even basically the same lines.
And its not that I disagree with the message and premise of this book, it's just that it's so ingrained and basic to me, that it doesnt really stir me or move me, if that's all it is. If there's nothing else to it?
So to me this book was sort of a waste of time. Or I could have just saved myself some precious reading time
Rohit Amberker
Dec 29, 2015 Rohit Amberker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Wayne Dyers commentary on some of the famous and wise quotes / poems from antiquity. I would have loved to see some structure in the flow of the book as it relates to wisdom and some underlying theme that binds various perspectives together. Nonetheless this is a great read and I learnt some new perspectives from erstwhile unknown authors.
Martina
Apr 19, 2012 Martina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful collection of poems and wisdom, I have never been disappointed by a Wayne Dyer book. This book is divided in 60 chapters, each starts with a poem to the topic at hand, followed by Wayne Dyer's enlightening explanations and suggestions how to apply it to your life. Some of the topics he deals with are Meditation, Patience, Inspiration, Oneness, Humility, Highest Self... This is an excellent book to read through chapter by chapter and also to refer to a specific topic that you are ...more
Eric
Apr 11, 2016 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short work of a series of essays about wise people of the ages ought probably be in my print library. I really ought, for example, keep Cicero's six rules for living on a card in my wallet. Good stuff.
Shakya Kayne
Oct 10, 2014 Shakya Kayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He is my personal trainer, reading Wayne Dyer's books keeps me going.
Yong Kwon
Jun 09, 2015 Yong Kwon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved all the additional poetry
Justin
- ... . American intonation . ...more
Martine
May 03, 2009 Martine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read most of Dyer's books. When this one came out I thought what else can he possibly say that he hasn't already said, and I thought I didn't need to read it or buy it. Wrong! I absolutely love how he has included words of wisdom and included his own anecdotes. Wisdom from Native Americans, Emerson, Eastern philosopher, and more are included in this book. Each chapter is short and can be read out of sequence. Easy to access for personal reflections or study groups.
Suyash Nagayach
Aug 20, 2015 Suyash Nagayach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book I would re-read for sure.
Michelle
Jul 08, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well-written And inspirational.
Joseph
Feb 09, 2014 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read several of Wayne Dyer's books and the themes and points of each book, while insightful and interesting, do tend to overlap. The great thing about this book is that he structures the presentation around the wisdom of history's greatest thinkers - chapter by chapter. He does a great job showing us how their messages can help us lead more meaningful lives and deal with the problems and challenges that life offers.
Judith Symonds
Nov 08, 2010 Judith Symonds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Successful people
I am cultivating the daily habit of including a daily reading at the beginning of each day. I was delighted to literally stumble upon 'Wisdom of Ages' which is perfect for this daily readings. There are short pages (3/4 pages) which start with a memorable quote and then a short discussion and ending with powerful suggestions (bullet pointed) for how to put the teachings in place. I am loving this book.
Barry Homan
Mar 28, 2012 Barry Homan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a terrific book. 60 different 2-3 page sections with a short writing of a famous author, poet, etc. followed by Dr. Dyer's interpretation of it and how you can incorporate it into your own life. I read one section each day (recommended). If you are a spiritualist or metaphysical fan, or if you just want to improve the way you look at life, than this book would be an excellent choice.
Aiyaruk
Nov 05, 2007 Aiyaruk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: read-nonfiction
This is the other Dr. Wayne Dyer book that I recommend to my friends. This is among my favorites of nonfiction books. Don't be put off by the "60 Days to Enlightenment" bit of the title; he's referring to the many sections of wisdom he's included. I love books that reference the old masters, those from history we know are wise, and that's exactly what he does here.
Penny
Apr 27, 2013 Penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read lots of Wayne Dyer over the years and as a rule prefer his early less spiritual writing. But this book is the exception to the rule. In this book Dr Dyer shows us how we can gain great insight from the writings of almost sixty historical figures, including many spiritual leaders. It's also in a great format aimed and teaching a new less everyday.
Dan
My grandmother gave me this book a few yeas ago. I did not begin to read it until six months ago, mindful that my grandmother's health was failing. She died in Jan 09 and I finished the book June 09. I read one chapter each of four to five days per week. I enjoyed the various quotes and sages as well as Dyer's analysis of them.
Terry
Dec 09, 2012 Terry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dyer takes short quotes or poems from 60 great poets and philosophers; not much to argue with here, plenty of inspiration.

I think the best way to use this work is to begin finding and recording my own favorites along with how I can apply this in life. Perhaps authors of the books I've rated most highly are a good place to start.
Chuck
Jul 23, 2009 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that you can open anywhere and let your mind wander for awhile. Dyer chooses about 60 good pieces of literature that mean something to him, and then he writes about his experience with it. Good as a reference for literature that you should be familiar with, and for contemplating life more deeply.
Niloofar
کتاب به بیان قسمتی از افکار و عقاید نویسندگان، شعرا، رهبران تاریخی-مذهبی و ... می پردازد و در پایان هر بخش نکته ی نهفته در عقاید آنان را در زندگی مورد بررسی قرار می دهد. جدا از اینکه کتابی ست که از لحاظ محتوایی نیازمند عمیق اندیشیدن و تأمل کردن است، برای یادگیری و تمرین American intonation هم خیلی خوب است.
Jason
Sep 08, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Near and dear to me. I read one entry per night, right before bed. (And sometimes still do) Nice to have some positivity and inspiration right before you close your eyes instead of the mayhem and negativity of the nightly news.
Wayne changed my life and this is my favorite of his!
Unigami
A good reference book. Dyer presents the core beliefs and teachings of 60 of the world's greatest philosophers, summarized in about one page each, the idea being that you will read one teaching per day and use it to enlighten your life. A good book to broaden one's horizons.
Madeline
Jan 01, 2009 Madeline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books separated into topics (each topic is a couple of pages), explaining each in short but thorough depth using examples and/or quotes from modern and ancient prophets, poets, masters, etc. A lot of crucial lessons on life and enlightenment.
Susan
Mar 22, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This is not a read from the beginning books. Each chapter is a few pages in length and Dyer provides his thoughts and a multitude of teachings a teachers-from Jesus to Shakespeare to Buddha to Ogden Nash. It is fantastic "food for thought."
  • Healing Words
  • Find and Use Your Inner Power
  • 50 Spiritual Classics: Timeless Wisdom From 50 Great Books of Inner Discovery, Enlightenment and Purpose
  • Manifest Your Desires: 365 Ways to Make Your Dreams a Reality
  • Communion with God: An Uncommon Dialogue
  • The Gift of Change: Spiritual Guidance for Living Your Best Life
  • Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul
  • Everything You Need to Know to Feel Go(o)d
  • Power of Positive Living
  • The Unmistakable Touch of Grace: How to Recognize and Respond to the Spiritual Signposts in Your Life
  • The Heart of the Soul: Emotional Awareness
  • The Spontaneous Healing of Belief: Shattering the Paradigm of False Limits
  • Heart Thoughts
  • Angel Therapy: Healing Messages for Every Area of Your Life
  • Personal Power through Awareness: A Guidebook for Sensitive People
  • The Purpose of Your Life: Finding Your Place In The World Using Synchronicity, Intuition, And Uncommon Sense
  • The Goddess Within: A Guide to the Eternal Myths that Shape Women's Lives
Wayne Walter Dyer was a popular American self-help advocate, author and lecturer. His 1976 book Your Erroneous Zones has sold over 30 million copies and is one of the best-selling books of all time. It is said to have "[brought] humanistic ideas to the masses".

He received his D.Ed. degree in counseling from Wayne State University. He was a guidance counselor in Detroit at the high school level and
More about Wayne W. Dyer...

“Society demands conformity at the expense of individual liberty. Let us be for once a non conformist to be fully alive.” 15 likes
“The falls of our life provide us with the energy to propel ourselves to a higher level.” 1 likes