Start by marking “Wisdom of the Ages: A Modern Master Brings Eternal Truths Into Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
Wisdom of the Ages: A Modern Master Brings Eternal Truths Into Everyday Life

Wisdom of the Ages: A Modern Master Brings Eternal Truths Into Everyday Life

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  747 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time. Footprints, that perhaps another,
Sailing o'er life's solemn main,
A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,
Seeing, shall take heart again.
Audio, Abridged
Published October 7th 1998 by HarperAudio (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Wisdom of the Ages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wisdom of the Ages

Jeff Maziarek
In this book Dyer references the works of 60 of history's most renowned spiritual teachers by providing insight into their teachings, and applying them to every day life. I found great value in this work, and as such, highly recommend it. Here's a really great quote from it:

“To see the absurdity of impatience in your life, set your watch ahead several hours and tear off several months on you wall calendar. Then see if you have advanced time! The failures and frustrations, along with the immedia
Laurel
From 500 B.C. to the present, Wayne Dyer quotes wise ones from throughout history; of the 60, only five are women. He gives substantial history which is enlightening. I re-read The Tragedy of Julius Caesar after reading about Cicero. The variety of quotations range from familiar to obscure. It's annoying when any living author presents himself as a master; that is for history to decide. His biggest mistake was adding himself to the list of masters with an embarrassingly intimate story of a sexua ...more
Niloofar
کتاب به بیان قسمتی از افکار و عقاید نویسندگان، شعرا، رهبران تاریخی-مذهبی و ... می پردازد و در پایان هر بخش نکته ی نهفته در عقاید آنان را در زندگی مورد بررسی قرار می دهد. جدا از اینکه کتابی ست که از لحاظ محتوایی نیازمند عمیق اندیشیدن و تأمل کردن است، برای یادگیری و تمرین American intonation هم خیلی خوب است.
Reem Musaed
Jun 09, 2013 Reem Musaed marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didnt-complete
بكتب عنه بالعربي حتى يسهل على الجميع القراءه..
كنت مرهقه وفتحت الكتاب المسموع منه ، جدا جدا اندمجت!..
من جد بعدها مضيت ساعتين أفكر بالكلام، كان بسيط جدا ... أبسط من أفكاره المعتاده وأبسط من أسلوبه المعتاد .. لكن سبحان الله!
لي عليه ملاحظات..لكن بكمله في الليالي القادمه : "اخترته ككتاب الأرق" .. وأضيف على الريفيو لمن أخلصه ^^
MizzSandie
This book started out alright for me, but then it got very tiresome and repetitive. It seemed like the same message over and over, some places with even basically the same lines.
And its not that I disagree with the message and premise of this book, it's just that it's so ingrained and basic to me, that it doesnt really stir me or move me, if that's all it is. If there's nothing else to it?
So to me this book was sort of a waste of time. Or I could have just saved myself some precious reading time
Harley
The structure of this book is similar to my motivational blog for creative people. The book is designed to be read in 60 days and promises enlightenment. Wayne Dyer shares a poem or quote from some famous person and then provides commentary about the poem and what it has meant in his life. After his comments, he shares ideas for how one can put the wisdom contained in the poem into one's life. He shares the poem less for the poetic value and more for the wisdom expressed. He quotes spiritual lea ...more
Martina
What a wonderful collection of poems and wisdom, I have never been disappointed by a Wayne Dyer book. This book is divided in 60 chapters, each starts with a poem to the topic at hand, followed by Wayne Dyer's enlightening explanations and suggestions how to apply it to your life. Some of the topics he deals with are Meditation, Patience, Inspiration, Oneness, Humility, Highest Self... This is an excellent book to read through chapter by chapter and also to refer to a specific topic that you are ...more
Shakya Kayne
He is my personal trainer, reading Wayne Dyer's books keeps me going.
Justin
- ... . American intonation . ...more
Martine
I've read most of Dyer's books. When this one came out I thought what else can he possibly say that he hasn't already said, and I thought I didn't need to read it or buy it. Wrong! I absolutely love how he has included words of wisdom and included his own anecdotes. Wisdom from Native Americans, Emerson, Eastern philosopher, and more are included in this book. Each chapter is short and can be read out of sequence. Easy to access for personal reflections or study groups.
Joseph
I have read several of Wayne Dyer's books and the themes and points of each book, while insightful and interesting, do tend to overlap. The great thing about this book is that he structures the presentation around the wisdom of history's greatest thinkers - chapter by chapter. He does a great job showing us how their messages can help us lead more meaningful lives and deal with the problems and challenges that life offers.
Judith Symonds
Nov 08, 2010 Judith Symonds rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Successful people
I am cultivating the daily habit of including a daily reading at the beginning of each day. I was delighted to literally stumble upon 'Wisdom of Ages' which is perfect for this daily readings. There are short pages (3/4 pages) which start with a memorable quote and then a short discussion and ending with powerful suggestions (bullet pointed) for how to put the teachings in place. I am loving this book.
Barry Homan
This is a terrific book. 60 different 2-3 page sections with a short writing of a famous author, poet, etc. followed by Dr. Dyer's interpretation of it and how you can incorporate it into your own life. I read one section each day (recommended). If you are a spiritualist or metaphysical fan, or if you just want to improve the way you look at life, than this book would be an excellent choice.
Aiyaruk
Nov 05, 2007 Aiyaruk rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: read-nonfiction
This is the other Dr. Wayne Dyer book that I recommend to my friends. This is among my favorites of nonfiction books. Don't be put off by the "60 Days to Enlightenment" bit of the title; he's referring to the many sections of wisdom he's included. I love books that reference the old masters, those from history we know are wise, and that's exactly what he does here.
Penny
I have read lots of Wayne Dyer over the years and as a rule prefer his early less spiritual writing. But this book is the exception to the rule. In this book Dr Dyer shows us how we can gain great insight from the writings of almost sixty historical figures, including many spiritual leaders. It's also in a great format aimed and teaching a new less everyday.
Dan
My grandmother gave me this book a few yeas ago. I did not begin to read it until six months ago, mindful that my grandmother's health was failing. She died in Jan 09 and I finished the book June 09. I read one chapter each of four to five days per week. I enjoyed the various quotes and sages as well as Dyer's analysis of them.
Terry
Dyer takes short quotes or poems from 60 great poets and philosophers; not much to argue with here, plenty of inspiration.

I think the best way to use this work is to begin finding and recording my own favorites along with how I can apply this in life. Perhaps authors of the books I've rated most highly are a good place to start.
Chuck
This is a book that you can open anywhere and let your mind wander for awhile. Dyer chooses about 60 good pieces of literature that mean something to him, and then he writes about his experience with it. Good as a reference for literature that you should be familiar with, and for contemplating life more deeply.
Jason
Near and dear to me. I read one entry per night, right before bed. (And sometimes still do) Nice to have some positivity and inspiration right before you close your eyes instead of the mayhem and negativity of the nightly news.
Wayne changed my life and this is my favorite of his!
Unigami
A good reference book. Dyer presents the core beliefs and teachings of 60 of the world's greatest philosophers, summarized in about one page each, the idea being that you will read one teaching per day and use it to enlighten your life. A good book to broaden one's horizons.
Madeline
One of my favorite books separated into topics (each topic is a couple of pages), explaining each in short but thorough depth using examples and/or quotes from modern and ancient prophets, poets, masters, etc. A lot of crucial lessons on life and enlightenment.
Susan
Wow! This is not a read from the beginning books. Each chapter is a few pages in length and Dyer provides his thoughts and a multitude of teachings a teachers-from Jesus to Shakespeare to Buddha to Ogden Nash. It is fantastic "food for thought."
Nancy Mather
I'm a big fan of Wayne Dyer and really enjoy listening to him speak. Parts of this book were enjoyable, and others not so much. Enjoyed the concept of taking 60 different topics and exploring the meaning through ageless quotes.
Cary Neve
I have read this book ...buuuu probably 20 times, have it underlined, pages are all wrinkled. I love it. It is really the wisdom from wonderful people of all times.
I strongly recomend to have this book right there by your book of mormom.
Peach Armstrong
We are reading this at my spiritual book study. I am finding the short chapters very powerful for conversation with others and how these age old principals can be applied to our daily lives and what we get from it.
Inspiring Energy
I have been always fan of Wayne Dyer. This book is very motivational and self helping one. He shares wisdom from the masters of the past with additional his reviews and comments. Worth reading.
Jean
I appreciated the many references Wayne Dyer made to other writers in this book, and quotes from famous poets like Langston Hughes. He helps us to learn from the past to enlighten our future.
Chris
A well-written book that concisely reviews the teachings of masters from Buddha, Jesus, Emerson, Michelangelo and allows us to learn for the wisdom of the ages. One of my favorite books.
Cindy
Wayne Dyer really does have a way of making you see the truth and without all of the frills of spirituality. He really speaks to you about the life that you can lead if you choose too.
Glenn Sharpe
Wonderful book....the people he draws from as inspiration are people you could base a life focus upon. favorites...st francis of assisi prayer... and browning...how do i love thee.
  • Healing Words
  • Friendship with God: An Uncommon Dialogue
  • Manifest Your Desires: 365 Ways to Make Your Dreams a Reality
  • Personal Power through Awareness: A Guidebook for Sensitive People
  • The Gift of Change: Spiritual Guidance for Living Your Best Life
  • Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul
  • The Unmistakable Touch of Grace: How to Recognize and Respond to the Spiritual Signposts in Your Life
  • The Mind of the Soul: Responsible Choice
  • Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings
  • The Power Is Within You
  • The Psychic Pathway: A Workbook for Reawakening the Voice of Your Soul
  • The Spontaneous Healing of Belief: Shattering the Paradigm of False Limits
  • Be Happy!: Release the Power of Happiness in YOU
  • Life Lessons: Two Experts on Death and Dying Teach Us About the Mysteries of Life and Living
Wayne Walter Dyer is a popular American self-help advocate, author and lecturer. His 1976 book Your Erroneous Zones has sold over 30 million copies and is one of the best-selling books of all time. It is said to have "[brought] humanistic ideas to the masses".

He received his D.Ed. degree in counseling from Wayne State University. He was a guidance counselor in Detroit at the high school level and
More about Wayne W. Dyer...
The Power of Intention: Learning to Co-create Your World Your Way Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao Your Erroneous Zones Excuses Begone!: How to Change Lifelong, Self-Defeating Thinking Habits Inspiration: Your Ultimate Calling

“Society demands conformity at the expense of individual liberty. Let us be for once a non conformist to be fully alive.” 13 likes