Start by marking “Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5)

Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts #1.5)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  908 ratings  ·  193 reviews
It’s a thin line between right and wrong. It’s an even thinner one between wrong and dead…

Terrible has always been on the wrong side of the law, living up to the only name anyone ever gave him. As the chief enforcer for Downside’s most powerful criminal, it’s his job to collect debts and protection money by any means necessary. And he’s very good at his job.

But part of tha
Published August 6th 2013 (first published August 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Wrong Ways Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wrong Ways Down

Breann
I get all swoony and melt into a gooey puddle of lust when I read Terrible with his sexy Downside slang.
"But Chess laughed and looked at him like she weren’t so unhappy anymore. Made him feel like a hero, and he’d never been a hero. He was the villain. He was the dude who beat people for money and cause he liked it and killed em if he had to, and it ain’t bothered him a bit doing it. And that made him the bad guy. He could live with that. He were right up with that; just the way it was, the way
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
Terrible is Bump's enforcer in Downside and has come across a murder of one of their dealers and an assault of one of their prostitutes. Determined to find the culprit(s), Terrible sets out on his own...well, maybe with a little help from Chess.

description

♦ Just a little advice...I know this says Book #1.5 in the series and that is correct because of when the events take place, but...and this is a big but, you might not appreciate Terrible to the fullest if you read this after the first book. I suggest wa
Laura *Little Read Riding Hood*
ALL THE STARS!

Review closer to release day, but I will leave you with a quote ...

"Thinkin people still be scared on me, I standing back here lookin all happy?" ... "Maybe you should take up knitting." She sipped her beer. "It's hard to be scared of somebody while they're knitting."

"Aw, naw, don't tell nobody on that, aye? Got people sellin blankets I'm making in the Market."

You are welcome.

What can I say - I've not read anything new in the Downside world in a while, and it is just like riding a
Kim  *Mo Chridhe*

I started this novella expecting to fangirl the entire time. After all, it's Terrible's book, yo. And I did squee and swoon a lot, but my heart also felt like it was being ripped to shreds again. I cried, I ached, and I smiled.

Similar to Chess and her Church cases, this book took us behind the scenes to one of Terrible's assignments. One of Bump’s dealers was brutally murdered and a prostitute was attacked, and it’s up to Terrible to find out who’s behind all these and deliver the proper punishm
Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres*
Wrong Ways Down is the long awaited novella in the Downside Ghosts series that focuses on Terrible and is from his point of view. Fans of the series who adore Terrible, including this girl, have been desperately wanting to get inside that head of his and I can certainly say we were rewarded for our patience - or lack thereof - with Wrong Ways Down.

First of all, this feels like a Downside book. The mood and themes of the story are the same as all the other books in the series, despite the fact th
Jamie
5 stars? Maybe 5 gazillion stars! Stacia Kane is a genius. That is all.

*************************************

Wow! If you've read the brilliant Stacia Kane's Downside Ghosts series, and you are fan of Terrible, you will only love him more after this "novella." And by "novella," I mean almost-full-length novel. Terrible has been one of my favorite male characters in urban fantasy for years, and this book only bolsters his credibility as a leading man. If you thought you understood Terrible, you wi
Ferdy
Spoilers

Pretty much loved it, I had one or two issues but nothing major. I do prefer Chess's POV overall, but Terrible's was still enjoyable to read.

-I was a bit reluctant to start Wrong Ways Down because I'm not always impressed with novels/novellas written from the hero's perspective. Most of the time the heroes go from being mysterious and charismatic to dull and whiny. Thankfully, that wasn't the case with Terrible. He wasn't some stereotypical misunderstood boring douche, his POV was engagi
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
It’s safe to say that Wrong Ways Down is the best thing that happened to urban fantasy in a very long time. With this long-awaited, anxiously anticipated and rather longish novella told from Terrible’s POV, Stacia Kane gave her readers exactly what they desperately needed – a glimpse into the complicated psyche of a well-beloved character.

If you know anything about Stacia’s books, you might have noticed that she doesn’t have almost-fans or lukewarm readers. People either hate or love her books,
Yodamom

The inside of Terrible's mind is a sad and lonely place. His past broke my heart, but it also made him the outstanding character he is. The thoughts behind his work, his interactions with Bump, Amy, Chess and other street folks from his perspective was enlightening. His lack of self-esteem battles with his known physical abilities. It was beautifully painful.

He fears, as tough as he is he fears what we all fear. Terrible is even more vulnerable than I knew.

Chess, and her drug use. He do
Katie(babs)
I was lucky to have read this in advance and let me tell you, if you adore Terrible, you will eat this one up! We gain a lot of insight on who Terrible is and how he really feels for Chess, which is so sweet, like uber-sweet like cotton candy.

I bow down to Stacia's writing skills and this one is another great addition to the Downside Ghosts series. You'll be craving more Terrible POV's and short stories.

A must read.
Leea
As if I couldn't love Terrible more. This short that is not all that short, which was nice is set during a time when Terrible and Chess are still working out what their feelings are for each other. We get Wrong Ways Down in Terrible's point of view and it's very fun to be in his head. To see Chess through his eyes and how much love and respect he has for her. Yes this book is about Terrible solving the mystery of who is going around hurting Bumps prostitutes but that story came second fiddle for ...more
Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho)
FINALLY! The much awaited novella told through Terrible’s POV is here and it’s right up, aye!

Fair warning the Downside slang is very heavy in Wrong Ways Down but it’s to be expected since it’s Terrible’s POV. It’s not a fast read. Even though I’ve listened and read all the books, I found myself having to re-read few times to get the meaning. But it was worth it. I can’t imagine how hard it was for Stacia Kane to write from Terrible’s POV with the very dense slang.

Terrible is working a case be hi
Keertana
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Out of the novels I chose not to review, this is perhaps the least heavy. And yet, The Downside Ghosts Series makes my stomach flip every time. After five books, we're finally given a glimpse into Terrible's head - and what a heart-breaking, but wonderful experience it is! I wouldn't encourage new readers to this series to read this novel after Unholy Ghosts, only because its full impact is felt only after the latter installments have been read. It is incredible to see how fully
Patrícia
Susana
Posted at PaperbackWonderland

Now, this was...
Right up...dig? ;)

Terrible is...amazing. He's probably the most considerate character that i've ever read about. And i guess, that's what makes him so great...
....even while he's beating the crap out of someone...

Reading this from his pov was intense and heartbreaking...the way he sees himself, the way he sees Chess (sigh)...well, good thing i already read all the previous books or i would be in serious anxiety mode...

Appreciated the fact that the aut
Jenne
Oh how good it is to have new Downside material! I have really missed this world and I've fallen in love all over again and some with Terrible. There's so much more to him than meets the eye and I really enjoyed reading his POV. If you haven't tried the Downside Ghosts book yet WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?! They will make you smile, laugh, cry, get mad, etc, etc. This insight into Terrible's head was great! I loved hearing how he felt about Chess and his life. Terrible is such a complex character ...more
Traci
Absolutely loved this!! It was such a treat to get to experience things from Terrible's point of view. The way he lives and loves is simple, complicated, and so beautiful. I really hope this isn't the only story we get from is POV, because I already can not wait to experince it again.

SO EXCITED FOR THIS NOVELLA!!!
(As I'm sure you can tell with my abuse of the caps and exclamation marks, but I cant help myself, I'm just that stoked)
Lexxie
Oh man. OH MAN. This book. This god damn book.

Stacia Kane is a genius. There, I said it, it's been decided. I'm actually almost mad that I finished it, and so fast. But it was too good.

Stacia has been slowly creeping her way onto my favourite authors list (and by slowly I mean the first book was pretty good and then over the last couple weeks I have compulsively devoured this entire series) and is firmly cemented there after this one.

How can you take a character like Terrible and make him so....
Chandra
I could read from Terribles POV all day long.
He's the best.
more please :-D
Barbara (VampAngel)
Terrible, how I love thee!
Cathy
This story from Terrible's point of view is such a treat for Downside fans. It was so great to see the world through this complex man's eyes, to find out much more about his background, about why he works for Bump, how he feels about Bump and about his job, about how he feels about himself, and most of all, of course, about how he feels about Chess.

After reading this, Bump still seems like a total scumbag (as opposed to his rival Slobag) but he doesn't seem like such an asshole anymore. He actu
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I waited months in agonizing anticipation for this book. Terrible is one of my all-time favorite heroes. A story from his POV was almost more than my fangirl heart could take. And getting inside of his head was everything I hoped it would be. I love him even more –if that’s possible. As for the novella as a whole, I liked it, but something felt a little bit missing.

The story was well crafted and the plot was good. It sucked me right back into the Downside world and made me want to read the serie
Lege
5 Stars for me.

I am not easily sold on novellas. I have to be really interested to pick one up. But I had two very strong reasons to pick WWD.
First, It's Terrible's POV. 'Nuff said. Terrible is one of the most interesting characters in UF genre simply because he doesn't fit usual gorgeous hero mold.
Second, I had an opportunity to read Stacia Kane's story (Rick the Brave) in anthology Home Improvement: Undead Edition and I was blown away with her craft to pack so much awesomeness in smaller-than-
Steph
Stacia treats her Downside fans to a (not so) short story, which takes place between Unholy Ghosts(#1) and Unholy Magic(#2). Better yet - It's written entirely from Terrible's POV! She definitely deserves some major badass author points for that because, while it's - at times - a struggle to read a book written only in Downspeech, I cannot imagine what it must take to write one. She's done an amazing job and takes the readers right where they want to go (aside from his bed, of course) ... inside ...more
Lα мαlα®

Llegó con su espada de madera
Y zapatos de payaso
A comerse la ciudad ...

-------

Tenía miedo de que fuera un POV cursi sobre la obsesión de un masculino por una femenina , tal como suelen ser todos las historias cortas con POV alternativo .

Por suerte , no fue así .

Esto es sobre Terrible , sobre el trabajo de Terrible . Abarca un caso en particular nunca antes tratado . Y , sí , entra la querida Chess en varias escenas pero no es lo principal .

No pensé que fuese posible , pero después de leer esta
Isa Lavinia

Well, it's about half past 5 a.m. and I just finished reading this, that should tell you something...
Like all Downside Ghosts books - and do not be fooled by this being called a novella, it was practically the same length as a regular book (yay!) - this was incredibly addictive (ironic, really).

We always get to see things from Chess' pov, and while we are perfectly able to infer what Terrible feels and thinks most of the time, it's a delightful treat to really get something from his pov, even
Joy
"It amazed him that he could think of stuff to say that made her laugh, that when he was talking to her it weren't as hard to find the words. When he talked to her he had plenty to say. And she always got what he meant, too; none of the dames he saw got what he said the way she did."

A wonderful addition to the DOWNSIDE GHOSTS series--we learn more about Terrible, so strong and loyal to the people he cares for--so unsure of himself--and we see the unspoken love he has for Chess--this is such a gr
Wendy F
I love TERRIBLE!!!

This was so awesome to read, getting a glimpse into Terrible's feelings for Chase, and also really sucked, going back to them before they knew how they felt about each other.

So good, I'm actually hoping she keeps this up and does long novella's throughout the story so we know where he's coming from and what he thinks about the situations.

FAV UF series ever!
Paris
I absolutely love Terrible, so it was amazing to get to see things from his perspective. Especially since this was before he and Chess get together. I loved seeing him realize that he was in love with Chess. I loved knowing what he did in his free time. It was just so great to get to know Terrible instead of just the Terrible that Chess sees. I would love more from his POV.
This was sweet - basically a love letter to fans, who were clamoring for a bit more Terrible. Definitely a fun read for Downside devotees, and a nice escape from Chess's POV.

I have this tiny bit of unease about it...but it's hard to put into words. Chalk it up to a reader's possessiveness about a favorite character.
  • Banishing the Dark (Arcadia Bell, #4)
  • The Dex-Files (Experiment in Terror, #5.7)
  • Broken Blade (Colbana Files #3)
  • Requiem For The Dead (Dreg City, #5)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #3)
  • Dark Days (Black London, #6)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Vices (Cold Hard Truths, #1)
  • Kiss of Venom  (Elemental Assassin, #8.5)
  • Lost to the Gray (Shaede Assassin, #2.5)
  • Curran; Fernando's (Curran POV, #5)
  • Cold Blooded (Jessica McClain, #3)
Stacia Kane is the author of the light-hearted romantic urban fantasy "Megan Chase" series starting with PERSONAL DEMONS.

She currently writes the gritty dystopian urban fantasy "Downside" series starring Chess Putnam and featuring ghosts, human sacrifice, drugs, witchcraft, punk rock, and a badass '69 Chevelle. She bleaches her hair and wears a lot of black.
More about Stacia Kane...

Downside Ghosts (7 books)
  • Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
  • Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
  • Untitled (Downside Ghosts, #6)
  • Five Down
Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3) Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4) Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)

“It were … she’d fell asleep, and she’d fell asleep on him. Like she trusted him that much she could just sleep, she were that comfortable. She weren’t freaking out touching him or blushing or looking all embarrassed or rushing to get away, though he knew she might when she woke up. But for that moment she were just sleeping there, next to him. Like she was his.” 8 likes
“But when he was with Chess he wasn’t the bad guy no more. He was the one keeping her safe, making her smile. He still wasn’t good enough for her, but he were better than he’d ever been. That mattered.” 6 likes