Start by marking “Running of the Bulls” as Want to Read:
Running of the Bulls

Running of the Bulls

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  6 reviews
There's what we know...and what we assume.

At the publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management software (DRM) applied.
Published March 27th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Running of the Bulls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running of the Bulls

Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime)
An interesting Hemingway-ish story about an Englishman (who isn't either English or a man), in a Europe that isn't Europe, going with his friends (who aren't, really) to Pamplona (ditto) to see the running of the bulls - which are of course, not bulls.

About the only things in the tale that are what they seem are the trout (I think) and the rat (I'm sure).

Margaryta
I loved the cage abstractness of this tale. It allows itself to be read without assuming you know everything that's going on, and throwing in just the right number of details, like feathers on the bulls or tails in the people, to spark the reader's attention. Another strength is how developed the characters felt, although some more back story would have been beneficial.

The main point, however, is that the clever ideas which appeared throughout, the abstract thought about the definition of words
Muhammad Hosain Abdollahi Sabet
والا چه عرض کنم. من ترتلدوو رو به آلترنیتیو هیستوریاش میشناسم. انتظار بیش از این داشتم ازش. به نظرم داستان زوائد زیاد داشت. شاید بشه گفت نصفش زیادی بود، بدون این که در روند و تأثیرگذاری داستان پیش بره. و خب این طوری آدم میخوره تو ذوقش. وقتی داستان تموم شد، هرچند یه گره از ابتداش رو باز کرد، اما به کلی از اون فضا دور شده بود. گرهی که در بدنه داستان اجرایی نداشت و از اهمیت افتاده بود. خیلی آروم پیش رفت و انرژی چندانی نداشت در کل. در نتیجه من خواننده، با همون بی میلی داستان رو تموم کردم که از میانه ...more
Pat Turner
I never cared much for Hemingway, but this mash-up works surprisingly well. Of course it's alternate history.
Mike
Turtledove really pulled me in with this one. Makes one think I need to read more Hemingway.
Seth Robbins
Seth Robbins marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Kel Munger
Kel Munger marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
harlequin {Stephanie}
harlequin {Stephanie} marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Dave Olsher
Dave Olsher marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Joseph Harris
Joseph Harris marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2013
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)