Kentucky Home (Southern Comfort, #1)

Kentucky Home (Southern Comfort #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In this warm and witty new series, author Sarah Title introduces readers to the down home Kentucky hospitality of the Carson family and their Wild Rose Farm and Stables. It's a place where love is always possible--and sweeter than ever the second time around. . .
Mallory Thompson and Keith Carson are far from impressed with each other when she arrives at his family's horse...more
Published April 18th 2013 by Kensington Books (first published January 1st 2013)

Mandi Schreiner
When I received this review request I first noticed Sarah Title is a debut author, which I am always eager to try and then the horses on the cover drew me in. Giddy up.

This one very pleasantly surprised me. When it first starts we meet Luke, who is the hero’s brother. Luke left his family’s Kentucky horse farm to move to DC and explore other adventures. He met Mallory at a business function and they became fast friends. Luke is somewhat of a manwhore, but him and Mal never take their relationshi...more
Jane Stewart
3 ½ stars. Enjoyable story if you don’t mind some unfilled plot holes.

I liked the plot - Mal was not able to stand up against her controlling and verbally abusive husband until recently. Luke is a friend. With his help she left her husband to stay with Luke’s family on a horse ranch for a while. Luke tells his family they are engaged. Then Luke leaves for a few weeks. While he is gone, Mal and Keith fall for each other.

I enjoyed the story but there were holes. I wanted to see Mal stand up to her...more
Beth
Mallory Thompson is escaping an abusive marriage and her good friend Luke Carson has the perfect plan. He is brought her home as his fake fiancé, but right after he drops her off he leaves. This left Mallory, city girl, on a horse farm with unfamiliar people and an uncomfortable lie to sustain.

Keith Carson had the love of his life and she was killed in a car accident. He hasn’t given another woman the time of day until Mallory drops into his life. Unfortunately, she is his brother’s fiancé. Draw...more
Vivian
Mallory Thompson appears to have it all -- a loving husband and a beautiful home . . . but appearances can be deceiving. Mallory has been on the receiving end of emotional, psychological and verbal abuse from her husband, Dr. Michael Thompson. He has told her what to wear, sabotaged any possibility of her having a job, and made her daily life a living hell. Even after their "separation" he continued to demean her by bringing women into their home and expecting her to continue to provide for him...more
Alex Nicolajsen
One of the best small-town romances I've read in a while.
Kris
2.5 STARS

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review).

After years of abuse, Mallory Thompson turns to new friend and bartender, Lucas Carson. The one place Mallory's husband cannot find her and a place that may heal her heart and soul is Wild Rose Farm & Stable. Lucas himself has runaway from the sleepy town but his brother and sister, along with their father and longtime housekeeper/cook, have continued to make it their home.

Keith lost his wife and child years ago a...more
Andrea Guy
I wanted to like Kentucky Home so much more than I actually did. I found it difficult to connect with Mallory, in fact, at the beginning of the story, I wasn't sure who she was or what part she was going to play in the story.

I really thought Luke was going to be more of character here, since the prologue is told from his point of view, so when it changes to Mal's and Keith's, I have to say I was a little confused.

The Carson family is really dysfunctional, but in an almost good/lovable way. It wa...more
Pam
It is wonderful to have good friends to turn to when you need them, too bad they are sometimes a little unpredictable. Mallory Thompson is a good friend of Luke Carson and when she needs help, he was the one person she can turn to. She is married to Michael, a doctor who is not only controlling but also emotionally and recently physically abusive and she is ready to get out.

Luke lives in DC and works as a bartender and although he is a good friend he is never satisfied to stay in one place and w...more
Anna -  Martini Times Romance
I got this book as an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

In Kentucky Home Mallory Thompson is a socilite with a doctor husband. Everything seems to be golden for the couple, but behind closed doors, it's a different story. Mal's husband is verbally and emotionally abusive, turning situations against her and making them her fault so none of the blame rests on his shouldes and stains his glowing reputation as a caring soul who's trying to save cancer one life at a time.

With the h...more
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 4
Book Blog For: GMTA
Review:

"Kentucky Home" by Sarah Title was a sweet contemporary romance about 'second chances.' With Mallory Thompson leaving a abusive marriage and escaping with her friend Luke Carson to his home as a 'fake fiancé.' Then Luke goes off leaving her this 'city girl' with people she did not know. Luke's brother Keith did take notice of her but she was his brother fiancé. Keith has...more
Marjorie
Loved this book. The story of a woman, Mal, who is married to a doctor who belittles her and runs around on her is a classic. She turns to Luke Carson, a friend she has met while he bartends at most of the charitable functions. Luke takes her home to Hollow Bend, KY to stay with his family and tells everyone she is his fiancee. However, she falls in love with his older brother, Keith. The story of how they get together is fraught with conflict and yet love conquers all. Great book with such beli...more
Donna
Good book.
Virginia Markhart
It was fine. Nothing to write home about but a gentle book.

Mallory left an abusive husband and went to Kentucky with Luke, her pre tent fiancé. Luke left Mallory in Kentucky with his family while he returned to New York. Malory falls for Luke's brother Keith who is recovering from the loss of his wife who died in a car accident.

There are some funny parts of the book. It is slightly chopping, does not flow well. All in all, a comfortable book.
Emma

All the right ingredients were there(small town, check. Damaged scruffy sexy hero, check. Great set of secondary characters, check). Yet the end result was disappointing.
I never really warmed up to Mal. She was a very annoying character and I had a hard time understanding her.
I'm waiting for Chase and Katie's book which I sure hope is in the works. Friends to lovers is one of my favorite storyline.
Claudia

This was a nice small town contemporary romance. It felt a bit chlichéd at times with the awesome cooking housekeeper who cared for everyone and the grumpy old dad. The hero's two siblings have their issues, too, and you can already see the sequels lining up but it was still an emotional read with an adorable hero.

(A review copy was provided by the publisher through NetGalley.)
Kathy
4.5 stars. An impressive debut novel by newcomer Sarah Title, Kentucky Home is an absolutely delightful romance that is full of charming characters. This well-written novel is a wonderful story about starting over and finding love when it is least expected. Please click HERE to read my review in its entirety.
Bette Hansen
Really wonderful story about Mallory who was leaving an abusive marriage and Keith a young widower who hasn't been able to move on. These very different people both learn how to love again. Recommended.
Tressa
I wasn’t able to finish Kentucky Home as the story and characters didn’t interest me.
Angie Walters
Very well written. I couldn't stop reading.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Connie Steckel
Connie Steckel marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Aziza Naderi-weisblatt
Aziza Naderi-weisblatt marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Nikki Barrett
Nikki Barrett marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sarah Title has worked as a barista, a secretary, a furniture painter, and once managed a team of giant walking beans. She currently leads a much more normal life as a librarian in West Virginia. Kentucky Home is her first novel.
More about Sarah Title...
Kentucky Christmas Home Sweet Home (Southern Comfort, #2) Delicious eKensington Sampler: Winter 2014 (eKensington Samplers) eKensington Sampler: Spring 2013 (eKensington Samplers)