Start by marking “The Caseworker's Memoirs” as Want to Read:
The Caseworker's Memoirs

The Caseworker's Memoirs

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  16 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
"I feel old. Terribly old. I no longer recognise the man, whose face is filled with such sadness and unfulfilled ambitions, glaring back at me. It's the shadow of me; a darker, duller shade that shells inside a lonely old man."

... And so begins The Caseworker's Memoirs. Malcolm was losing touch with the world; a retired counsellor and recently widowed, he lived each day sa
Published April 10th 2013 by Dan Thompson (first published April 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Caseworker's Memoirs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Caseworker's Memoirs

Jack
Apr 17, 2013 Jack rated it it was amazing
When I first heard about this book, it was the theme of phobias which immediately drew my attention. I think it's fair to say that most people are fascinated by them; which phobias exist? How do they come about? Can they be cured? And there are plenty of illuminating sections here concerning such phobias as Chronophobia, Agoraphobia, Agrizoophobia and even the odd nod to such well-known fears as Arachnophobia.

What I was not expecting with this book, however, was Malcolm - the caseworker whose na
J. Yates
Feb 18, 2014 J. Yates rated it it was amazing
Review of the Caseworker’s Memoirs written by Dan Thompson

This is truly a compelling read, written from a highly personally account of people suffering phobias.

Malcom, a councillor, who has had a long career and worked on many different cases is a recent widower coming to terms with his own grief.
You are drawn into the haunting world of Malcom, a man on the edge of reason, who has tried to use all of his professional counselling skills on himself, but has still come up short for the answer to s
Sandy
Jul 01, 2013 Sandy rated it really liked it

THE CASEWORKER’S MEMOIRS is a fictional and poignant look at seven individual cases of phobias from the perspective of counselor/caseworker Malcolm. Malcolm is a recently widowed man whose daughter begins to worry that her father is giving up. Hoping to keep his mind and body occupied, she offers him a journal to write down his thoughts and memories. What she will discover is that Malcolm has written a collection of seven stories told in flashback and dream sequences-seven cases of pho
Louise K.
May 27, 2013 Louise K. rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Louise K. by: Jack Croxall
Dan Thompson provides a gentle yet compelling glimpse into the world of a handful of phobias, narrated by a retired caseworker, viewing with hindsight some of his previous cases.

Before the book begins, Malcolm loses his wife and lifelong friend. We watch as this downtrodden man takes a journey prompted by the gift of a leather-bound notebook from his daughter, examining memories and healing from his own pain and doubts.

Using several characters aside from the caseworker, Malcolm, to tell their in
Sharon Atkinson
Oct 15, 2013 Sharon Atkinson rated it it was amazing
This book was a really good read. Several little stories within a story, each with its own dark content that makes you think.

Phobias can be a scary factor in anyone's life and Malcolm has to face each one with a strong belief of helping that individual, knowing if he fails it will haunt him for the rest of his life.

A great book and highly recommended if you fancy something a little different.
Hannah
Actual rating 3.5

This is a very strong, very interesting concept. I think we all have an interest in fears and everybody has at least one. My weird confession; I'm scared of stairs, despite the fact I've gone up and down them several times a day, almost every day since I could walk up and down them.

This is a quick, enjoyable read that is slightly let down by execution, I was distracted by mis-spellings and grammar mistakes but I actually got the book about a year ago so these may have been fixed
Elizabeth
Aug 18, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
The Caseworker's Memoirs is a fascinating novella which reads as seven short stories about phobias tied together by a retired counsellor, Malcolm, grieving the loss of his beloved wife, Mary.

Though it starts a little slow with Malcolm's idealized descriptions of Mary, it is a very quick read and I quickly became engrossed with the seven people's fear which consumed their lives. At least for a few if the characters, Grace, Mark & Neil, I wanted to know even more, what happened next! (which is
Reeses
May 22, 2014 Reeses rated it liked it
I received a copy of The Caseworker's Memoirs for an honest review.

I wasn’t expecting to enjoy this book at all if I am to be completely honest. After putting this book off for so long I finally read it and what a pleasant surprise it was that I could barely put it down.

The story starts off with how Malcolm came to write about his story and the story of those he helped. He is lost and alone after his wife died and his daughter wanted him to write down his stories.

Honestly the writing style of a
A.B. Shepherd
Jul 11, 2013 A.B. Shepherd rated it liked it
I found this book a bit bizarre. The note afterward from the author explained why for me. This was actually written as a series of horror-type short stories on some strange phobias that was later pieced together as a novel by interspersing them with the memories of an aged therapist who is recalling some of the cases he's worked on over his career while mourning the death of his wife.

As a whole, I don't think it works very well. But then I may be biased because I really don't like short stories,
Sarah Wood
Sarah Wood rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Dianne Gray
Dianne Gray rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2014
Fabiola
Fabiola rated it it was ok
May 29, 2013
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Alison Jack
Alison Jack rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2013
Philip (sarah) Willis
Philip (sarah) Willis rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2013
Dan. Thompson
Feb 12, 2013 Dan. Thompson added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authored
Sharon Sant
Sharon Sant marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2013
Gigi Frost
Gigi Frost marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Helena Cook
Helena Cook marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Connieb
Connieb marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
May 01, 2013
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
May 03, 2013
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Georgina
Georgina marked it as to-read
May 21, 2013
Angela
Angela is currently reading it
May 29, 2013
Marilyn Ortega
Marilyn Ortega marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
Tonya Hatton
Tonya Hatton marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2013
Fiona Ross
Fiona Ross marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Kell
Kell marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Pamela Beckford
Pamela Beckford marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2013
Coral Kennelty-cohen
Coral Kennelty-cohen marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Erin Christaldi
Erin Christaldi marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Rhys Ethan
Rhys Ethan marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Anwar
Anwar is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2014
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Lorna
Lorna marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Read 4 Review: The Caseworker's Memoirs 5 18 May 15, 2013 10:24AM
Modern Good Reads: R4R: The Caseworker's Memoirs by Dan Thompson 7 25 May 07, 2013 05:52AM
What is your favourite story? 1 4 Apr 21, 2013 01:21AM
Dan is an author of nonsense, mostly. Some like it though, which is good enough for him. Yarns include Here Lies Love, The Caseworker's Memoirs, and The Black Petal.

Dan lives in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire (England) with his young daughter.

Dan grew up reading Enid Blyton's The Famous Five series, secretly coming up with his own inventive adventures, and R.L Stine's The Goosebump series, before turn
More about Dan. C Thompson...