Start by marking “Samurai Summer” as Want to Read:
Samurai Summer
Preview

Samurai Summer

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Looked at from the outside, the annual summer camp in the countryside seems idyllic. But for Kenny, a boy with a Samurai soul, it is no more than a prison camp, run by a sadistic woman who is sometimes helped by her salacious son, Christian. To escape the adults, Kenny and his "samurai" friends sneak out to the forest to build a secret castle. It’s off-limits to the girls, ...more
Published June 25th 2013 by Skyscape (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Samurai Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Samurai Summer

Elspeth
Apr 30, 2013 Elspeth rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc
I received this book from Netgalley for an honest review.

In reading, and discussing this book I have had a life lesson. I will now wait a few minutes before hitting the request button on new and shiny books on Netgalley. I have been burned a few too many times of late due to my overzealous trigger finger.

When I requested this book my brain was doing the happy dance, not only was this book somewhat about Japanese culture it was written by a Swedish author.

Color me excited.

Now after finishing th
Charles
First Reads Review - Samurai Summer by Ake Edwardson

So I think I signed up for this book thinking it would be something like the ninja movies from the Nineties (Three Ninjas, Surf Ninjas, some of the Karate Kids). I guess that's more on me for not looking closer at the description, but that was not what I got. This is actually a quite serious story about a group of kids at an abusive camp in Sweden who sort of share in this delusion of being samurai in order to escape mentally from their real su
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Samurai Summer is a book that has big ideas yet somehow comes across as being a bit cold and too shortsighted to make the story stick. Characters that should have been believable somehow weren't and the book left me somewhat disaffected. I think the author was trying for the same dark tone as Let The Right One In but just didn't have a compelling enough story to make it work.

At a Summer camp in the 1960s, Tommy is once a
Summary:
Kenny is attending a summer camp that seems to be for juvenile delinquents and is run by the government. While there, he is fascinated with samurais. He decides to spend his summer becoming one. As the book goes on, other children begin to follow Kenny and they make a "castle" in the woods to prepare for battle. They do have a battle with the adults, who are clearly abusing children. This "epic" battle ends and we hope the children's lives improve.

My thoughts:
Honestly, I found this extre
Jen
Samurai Summer is a YA novel by Ake Edwardson, three-time winner of the Swedish Crime Writers Academy for his Inspector Winter series for adults ( I recently read and reviewed Room No. 10). This is Edwardson's first YA novel; translator Per Carlsson also translates the Inspector Winter series.

The setting is Sweden in the 1960's. The novel doesn't state the time and place initially, so I was curious and a bit confused, but the hints eventually materialize.

Book Description: Looked at from the outs
Deneé
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

“Those were the truest words ever spoken. Never trust a grown-up.” (loc. 1510)

It’s a bit hard to do a review on a book that felt weird from the beginning. First I had to get used to the writing style, which is told through the eyes of a troubled child. Second I had to sort through what was imaginary and what wasn’t, which became harder and harder as the book went on. I’m not all too sure what specific genre this book is intended for, but I wouldn’t say it’s for
Shawn
Samurai Summer is a coming of age story set in a Swedish Summer Camp in the 60s. Kenny is the main character, who is 12 years old and will be too old to return to the camp after this, his final summer. Kenny considers himself a samurai and is the leader of his group of friends who are his samurai in training. They are planning and building a "castle" in the woods that has become a home away from home for all of them.

There is a war raging between the kids and the adults who run the camp, and Kenn
Christopher
Dec 18, 2007 Christopher rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens and adults who like coming of age novels written in Swedish.
I was really impressed by this book. I think if I had read more books like this as a 10-12 year-old, I probably would have started reading more regularly a lot sooner. It's a story about a group of friends at a summer camp for disadvantaged kids who use their fantasy of being samurai warriors as a means of coping with/escaping from their hardships. From that description, you might think it sounds boring and overly-contemplative, but it read more like a page-turner than a children's novel.

I found
Arja
Luin tuttuun tyyliin väärässä järjestyksessä eli toisen osan Lohikäärmekuu ja sitten tämän ensimmäisen. Toinen oli toistoa, kyllä eka on aina eka. Ensimmäisessä ahdistus, pelko ja tuo kaikki oli todella läsnä. Toisessa kaikki lässähti.

Mutta edelleen kyselen, kenelle tämä on kirjoitettu. Retroaika, 12-vuotias päähenkilö, ahdistava tarina, samuraijutut... 12-vuotiaalle vielä liian ahdistavaa. ..ehkä aikuistenkirja..
Rachelle
For a first time teen novel it is a good storyline. I enjoyed the story overall but it could have used a lot more detail about what was going on in the camp and more on why the kids were there in the first place. But I give the book 3 stars for a keeping me attentive to the story.
Beth Chapple
I was halfway in before I realized this was really meant as a children's book. That meant the concerns of the protagonist were not really mine, but the author did construct a good story. It was an easy read considering it was in Swedish!
Drucilla
Jun 11, 2013 Drucilla rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: e
I wanted this book to be a little more lighthearted and focus more on the samurai stuff. It seems like much of the just story happens and the characters are caught up in it.
I read the translated version, coming out this month. It's a very "guy" book- not the happiest book, but very well done! It was like Holes, but creepier? Scarier?
Mark Flowers
Reviewing this for VOYA - I'm planning on rereading and thinking it over some more, but I'm pretty sure it is amazing.
Willie Graham
I read this book with my 10-year-old. He really enjoyed it. I have to say, I was pretty entertained.
Yexely Perera
The book was overall good. In my own opinon it wasnt for me. i didnt really enjoy reading it.
Jamie
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. Very excited to read it!
Omar
Gets hard to understand at some points
Alix
Alix marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Bryan Xaysanavongphet
Bryan Xaysanavongphet is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2015
Flora Wezensky
Flora Wezensky marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Carrosh
Carrosh marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Arelly
Arelly marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Ladyderphina
Ladyderphina marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Summer Mohamed
Summer Mohamed marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Morgan Vester
Morgan Vester marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Help! Someone put my name on their book! 9 70 Feb 24, 2013 07:47PM
  • Efterskalv (A-gruppen, #9)
  • I natt är du död (Sandhamn, #4)
  • Plain Admirer (Brides of Amish Country, #8)
  • Blodtåke (Henning Juul #3)
  • Flickan med snö i håret (Hagfors, #1)
  • The Stone Boy
  • Paradies (Annika Bengtzon, #2)
  • The Magnate's Manifesto
  • Loving an Ugly Beast (Fairy Tales & Ever Afters, #2)
  • Never Say No to a Caffarelli (Those Scandalous Caffarellis, #1)
  • Prince of Secrets (By His Royal Decree, #2)
  • Berättelse om herr Roos (Barbarotti #3)
  • The Fire Dance (Inspector Huss #6)
  • Dancer, Daughter, Traitor, Spy (Dukovskaya #1)
  • What I Came to Tell You
  • A Royal Without Rules
  • The Path of Names
  • Mojo
Åke Edwardson is a Swedish author of detective fiction, and a professor at Gothenburg University, the city where many of his Inspector Winter novels are set. Edwardson has had many jobs, including a journalist and press officer for the United Nations, and his crime novels have made him a three-time winner of the Swedish Crime Writers' Award for best crime novel. His first novel to be translated in ...more
More about Åke Edwardson...
Frozen Tracks (Inspector Winter, #5) Death Angels (Inspector Winter, #1) Sun and Shadow (Inspector Winter, #3) The Shadow Woman (Inspector Winter #2) Never End (Inspector Winter, #4)