Start by marking “Samurai Summer” as Want to Read:
Samurai Summer

Samurai Summer

Looked at from the outside, the annual summer camp in the countryside seems idyllic. But for Kenny, a boy with a Samurai soul, it is no more than a prison camp, run by a sadistic woman who is sometimes helped by her salacious son, Christian. To escape the adults, Kenny and his "samurai" friends sneak out to the forest to build a secret castle. It’s off-limits to the girls, ...more
Published June 25th 2013 by Skyscape (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Samurai Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Samurai Summer

Elspeth
Apr 29, 2013 Elspeth rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
I received this book from Netgalley for an honest review.

In reading, and discussing this book I have had a life lesson. I will now wait a few minutes before hitting the request button on new and shiny books on Netgalley. I have been burned a few too many times of late due to my overzealous trigger finger.

When I requested this book my brain was doing the happy dance, not only was this book somewhat about Japanese culture it was written by a Swedish author.

Color me excited.

Now after finishing th
Charles
Aug 14, 2013 Charles rated it liked it
First Reads Review - Samurai Summer by Ake Edwardson

So I think I signed up for this book thinking it would be something like the ninja movies from the Nineties (Three Ninjas, Surf Ninjas, some of the Karate Kids). I guess that's more on me for not looking closer at the description, but that was not what I got. This is actually a quite serious story about a group of kids at an abusive camp in Sweden who sort of share in this delusion of being samurai in order to escape mentally from their real su
Deneé
May 29, 2013 Deneé rated it liked it
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

“Those were the truest words ever spoken. Never trust a grown-up.” (loc. 1510)

It’s a bit hard to do a review on a book that felt weird from the beginning. First I had to get used to the writing style, which is told through the eyes of a troubled child. Second I had to sort through what was imaginary and what wasn’t, which became harder and harder as the book went on. I’m not all too sure what specific genre this book is intended for, but I wouldn’t say it’s for
Christopher
Dec 18, 2007 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens and adults who like coming of age novels written in Swedish.
I was really impressed by this book. I think if I had read more books like this as a 10-12 year-old, I probably would have started reading more regularly a lot sooner. It's a story about a group of friends at a summer camp for disadvantaged kids who use their fantasy of being samurai warriors as a means of coping with/escaping from their hardships. From that description, you might think it sounds boring and overly-contemplative, but it read more like a page-turner than a children's novel.

I found
Jen
May 23, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, ya-juv
Samurai Summer is a YA novel by Ake Edwardson, three-time winner of the Swedish Crime Writers Academy for his Inspector Winter series for adults ( I recently read and reviewed Room No. 10). This is Edwardson's first YA novel; translator Per Carlsson also translates the Inspector Winter series.

The setting is Sweden in the 1960's. The novel doesn't state the time and place initially, so I was curious and a bit confused, but the hints eventually materialize.

Book Description: Looked at from the outs
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Samurai Summer is a book that has big ideas yet somehow comes across as being a bit cold and too shortsighted to make the story stick. Characters that should have been believable somehow weren't and the book left me somewhat disaffected. I think the author was trying for the same dark tone as Let The Right One In but just didn't have a compelling enough story to make it work.

At a Summer camp in the 1960s, Tommy is once a
Shawn
Jul 28, 2013 Shawn rated it liked it
Samurai Summer is a coming of age story set in a Swedish Summer Camp in the 60s. Kenny is the main character, who is 12 years old and will be too old to return to the camp after this, his final summer. Kenny considers himself a samurai and is the leader of his group of friends who are his samurai in training. They are planning and building a "castle" in the woods that has become a home away from home for all of them.

There is a war raging between the kids and the adults who run the camp, and Kenn
Jun 23, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
Summary:
Kenny is attending a summer camp that seems to be for juvenile delinquents and is run by the government. While there, he is fascinated with samurais. He decides to spend his summer becoming one. As the book goes on, other children begin to follow Kenny and they make a "castle" in the woods to prepare for battle. They do have a battle with the adults, who are clearly abusing children. This "epic" battle ends and we hope the children's lives improve.

My thoughts:
Honestly, I found this extre
Arja
Jul 28, 2011 Arja rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lapset
Luin tuttuun tyyliin väärässä järjestyksessä eli toisen osan Lohikäärmekuu ja sitten tämän ensimmäisen. Toinen oli toistoa, kyllä eka on aina eka. Ensimmäisessä ahdistus, pelko ja tuo kaikki oli todella läsnä. Toisessa kaikki lässähti.

Mutta edelleen kyselen, kenelle tämä on kirjoitettu. Retroaika, 12-vuotias päähenkilö, ahdistava tarina, samuraijutut... 12-vuotiaalle vielä liian ahdistavaa. ..ehkä aikuistenkirja..
Aidan M
Sep 04, 2015 Aidan M rated it really liked it
In Samurai Summer, by Åke Edwardson, the main character Kenny spends the summer at a summer camp where he and a few friends try to become samurai warriors. The samurai really dislike the owner of the camp Matron and find out that her son Christian stalks a girl at the camp. The samurai realize they must save the rest of the children at the camp from Matron and Christian and try to escape.
Rachelle
For a first time teen novel it is a good storyline. I enjoyed the story overall but it could have used a lot more detail about what was going on in the camp and more on why the kids were there in the first place. But I give the book 3 stars for a keeping me attentive to the story.
Beth Chapple
I was halfway in before I realized this was really meant as a children's book. That meant the concerns of the protagonist were not really mine, but the author did construct a good story. It was an easy read considering it was in Swedish!
Drucilla
Jun 11, 2013 Drucilla rated it it was ok
Shelves: e
I wanted this book to be a little more lighthearted and focus more on the samurai stuff. It seems like much of the just story happens and the characters are caught up in it.
Yexely
Jul 26, 2013 Yexely rated it it was ok
The book was good overall however i couldn't get into it at all but the writing style was good.
Omar
Jul 26, 2013 Omar rated it liked it
Gets hard to understand at some points
May 30, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the translated version, coming out this month. It's a very "guy" book- not the happiest book, but very well done! It was like Holes, but creepier? Scarier?
Jamie
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. Very excited to read it!
Mark Flowers
Jun 28, 2013 Mark Flowers rated it it was amazing
Reviewing this for VOYA - I'm planning on rereading and thinking it over some more, but I'm pretty sure it is amazing.
Willie Graham
Sep 26, 2013 Willie Graham rated it liked it
I read this book with my 10-year-old. He really enjoyed it. I have to say, I was pretty entertained.
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Linnéa
Linnéa rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
Emma Dryden
Emma Dryden rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2014
Simone
Simone rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Jesper Lindholm
Jesper Lindholm rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2014
Metya Mcarthur
Metya Mcarthur rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2017
Bjorn Mikael
Bjorn Mikael rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2017
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2012
Janis Weltzin
Janis Weltzin rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Spiderhyde
Spiderhyde rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Help! Someone put my name on their book! 9 71 Feb 24, 2013 07:47PM
  • Efterskalv (A-gruppen, #9)
  • Svara om du hör mig (Hagfors, #3)
  • Loving an Ugly Beast (Fairy Tales & Ever Afters, #2)
  • I stundens hetta (Sandhamn, #5)
  • The Magnate's Manifesto
  • Never Say No to a Caffarelli (Those Scandalous Caffarellis, #1)
  • Blodtåke (Henning Juul #3)
  • Plain Admirer (Brides of Amish Country, #8)
  • The Viper
  • First Time for Everything
  • A Royal Without Rules
  • De underkända (Sebastian Bergman, #5)
  • Kuldi
  • Prince of Secrets (By His Royal Decree, #2)
  • The Stone Boy
  • The Man in the Window
  • What I Came to Tell You
  • Patrik Hedström 3 Book Collection Set
Åke Edwardson is a Swedish author of detective fiction, and a professor at Gothenburg University, the city where many of his Inspector Winter novels are set. Edwardson has had many jobs, including a journalist and press officer for the United Nations, and his crime novels have made him a three-time winner of the Swedish Crime Writers' Award for best crime novel. His first novel to be translated in ...more
More about Åke Edwardson...