Start by marking “Barbarossa's Bitch” as Want to Read:
Barbarossa's Bitch

Barbarossa's Bitch

Dylan Taggert was one of the few people lucky enough to wake up the morning after the world ended. But as humanity picks up the pieces, he quickly learns that there is no place for a gay computer programmer in a subsistence farming community. Hounded out of one settlement and harried out of another, Dylan keeps his wagon packed and his walking boots ready.

All that changes
Published February 22nd 2013 by Storm Moon Press

To ask other readers questions about Barbarossa's Bitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barbarossa's Bitch

Monique ~ Sinfully
Feb 22, 2013 Monique ~ Sinfully rated it really liked it
When the first line of a book is...

When the settlement delegation entered the encampment, Kane was being fucked. Lord Barbarossa hammered away at his ass, growling obscenities.

Barbarossas Bitch

And with the title Barbarossa’s Bitch, I was pretty much expecting a dark slave novel, raw, gritty and full of sex in a post-apocalyptic setting… but what I got was completely unexpected, very different and I have to say quite surreal in parts!

It is also very difficult to review this story as the narrative is not set
Mandapanda
Mar 22, 2013 Mandapanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
3.75 stars. Unique post-apocalyptic tale with a D/s bent. One morning most of the people in the world just didn't wake up. The survivors are left to recreate society in the vacuum and things get quite vicious. Dylan, a skinny gay computer programmer wanders from settlement to settlement looking for a place to feel safe. But the need to repopulate and the rise of fundamentalism means gay men are being kicked out of these communities on a regular basis. Finally he sets off for the wild places in t ...more
Jenre
Mar 21, 2013 Jenre rated it it was amazing
I read this book almost as soon as it was released and since then have been scratching my head over how I could possibly write a coherent review. The story is set in a post apocalyptic USA and covers a period of about 15 years, from the day before 'The Accident' to the point where society is beginning to become settled and civilised once again. Dylan was one of the lucky ones who woke up when millions of people died within the blink of an eye. He escapes a city full of corpses to find that peopl ...more
Vivian
Mar 01, 2013 Vivian rated it really liked it
Surviving the best he can in a post-apocalytic world is one man who serves as a pet to his lord, Barbarossa.

Well that's one deceptive blurb; the story was significanty different than I expected. So, my depraved non-con friends this story isn't the terror you're hoping for and everyone else who read that blurb thinking, "Holy cow--No!" you may be pleasantly surprised. Now that isn't to say that there aren't exotic elements to the story: knife play and M/s, but the telling is more action/adventure
Emma Sea
Mar 17, 2013 Emma Sea rated it liked it
An enoyable, light read. I expected more of a dark-fic, but, yet again, the cruel toppy Master teaches his cum-sucking slave humility and personal abasement by loving him a whole heap and making him 2IC.

My favourite part was the narrative structure: the story is chopped up into little segments, and the reader has to work out where in the narrative the bits fit. This might drive some readers bananas but I love it.

I found the post-apocalyptic society was structured interestingly, and this showed
SheReadsALot
Tell me why I just glanced the title and author's last name and I thought "Barbossa? Sparrow? Jack Sparrow finally gets his? Cool MM Pirate Romance!"

*sigh* A girl can dream.
Meggie
Mar 22, 2013 Meggie rated it it was ok
This story didn't speak to me. I couldn't really enjoy this post-apocalyptic world settings. Somehow this violence, raping and killing didn't ring of a true chosen love. Anyway, every story tells a story and this one is unique. Mostly I didn't like the writing style.
Suze
Jan 03, 2014 Suze rated it really liked it
Recommended to Suze by: Won on BAHAG at Jessewave, Dec 13
A tale told in three ways : diary entry by Kane, narrative by Kane and narrative by Dylan. It's not as confusing as it sounds as its clear when each piece starts, which one it is and they each tell a different part of the tale. Dylan's narrative is about the early days of After, Kane's narrative is the story of the wild pack and the diary is a history of what has happened really.
Post apocalyptic stories are not normally a choice genre for me, but I won this from the author on Jessewave's last BA
Alison
At first, after reading a couple of scenes, I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue because the main characters came across as mean and lacking backbone. Then, as I read on, I realized this was a deliberate contrast to the life we live now and meant to shock, a harsh situation for a bad time. The cruelty of people in power is softened by the signs of people who are not only trying to survive, but keep their humanity too.

Even though the scenes jump all over the timeline, I actually think that in th
blub
A great read. The story is told from Dylan's POV and he narrates via his diary entries (which aren't dated and are random) and events he has endured. There isn't any chronological order to them but if you're like me and you have a tendency of wanting the story told in certain order than your out of luck. The best solution I found was try not to think to hard and just read the story to the end since it all makes sense (although it seems like there are some contradictions here and there). The worl ...more
Agnes
Mar 01, 2013 Agnes rated it it was amazing
Definitely an interesting book, different from what we're used to in the m/m genre. I have to admit I'm still not entirely convinced about the 'Hopscotch'-like structure, but on the other hand, after I got used to the the "randomness" of the fragments and got into the story, it didn't bother me all that much. It was refreshing to read something this raw, something that wasn't following the typical romantic story line. I liked how the authors described the world After, the variety of the settleme ...more
Beck
Apr 01, 2013 Beck rated it really liked it
When I first started reading, I cut my teeth on post-apocalyptic/dystopian fiction ... this book was beautifully written from this perspective ... the hellish existence was very believable in a Mad Max kinda way ... I did find the sexual degradation of Dylan hard to read about but it pushed the story along well & wasn't gratuitous ... this is a dark book with an ending that showed hope for mankind rather than a Utopian HEA ... well worth reading but perhaps not for those who prefer their M/M ...more
Moniqee
Feb 28, 2013 Moniqee rated it really liked it

It wasnt sort of an original story plot but I enjoy the story buildup and I shudder the thought if this aftermath Apocalypse becomes a reality. *_*

The mess up of this Barbarossa is the time frame of the story goes forth between the past and present that at times I get dizzy.

Fortunately, the end gives it the extra 1/2 star.
CakeForBreakfast
Apr 04, 2016 CakeForBreakfast rated it liked it
I think I would have given this 4 stars if the story had followed a linear timeline my squirrel like nibbles of reading time just didn't mesh with the nonlinear timeline. Overall good plot and interesting MCs.
Sue
Sep 13, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it
It was good world-building in this post-apocalyptic novel.
The main problem I had with it was I didn't feel that connected to the MCs. They were okay, but there was something about them that didn't really grab me.
So I'd give it 3.75 stars, not quite 4. But we can't do that, so up it goes.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by:Vivian A.
Genre: M/M
Rated: 3.5 hearts

Check out the review at: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Adriana
Just because of the name.
Noughty
Apr 21, 2013 Noughty rated it liked it
A little extreme in the dominance and humiliation. Didn't drew me in much - scanned the ending.
Elisa Rolle
Aug 10, 2015 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing
2013 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Marsha Spence
Feb 22, 2013 Marsha Spence rated it really liked it
WOW! What a world! I really enjoyed the idea that the "outcasts" are the evil motorcycle gang. Interesting and makes you think...
M.A.
M.A. rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2016
Heather S
Heather S rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2013
Deanna
Deanna rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Bee Reader
Bee Reader rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2013
Julia
Julia rated it did not like it
Apr 29, 2015
Bitsy
Bitsy rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
J
J rated it liked it
May 28, 2014
Bitsy
Bitsy rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Pathfinder
  • Signal to Noise (Psionic Frequency, #1)
  • Freedom
  • All Wrapped Up
  • Winner Takes All: Master/Slave Fantasies by Christopher Pierce
  • November (November, #1)
  • The Slave Catcher
  • The Pawn (Against the Odds, #1)
  • Fragile Bond
  • Out of the Woods (Tarin's World, #1)
  • Falling Angels
  • Finding King (The Breaker, #1)
  • Inherent Gifts
  • Dead to the World (Water Lovers of Sirilon #3)
  • The Last Rebellion
  • The Copper Horse: Pride (The Copper Horse #2)
  • Angel (Angel, #1)
  • Choices (Golden Collar, #1)