Start by marking “Cast a Road Before Me (Bradleyville Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cast a Road Before Me (Bradleyville Series, #1)

Cast a Road Before Me (Bradleyville Series #1)

When an impending labour strike in Bradleyville threatens violence, Jessie, an avowed pacifist, finds her loved ones - and herself - drawn into the centre of the storm.
Published April 28th 2003 by Zondervan (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Cast a Road Before Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cast a Road Before Me

Sheila
May 09, 2016 Sheila rated it really liked it
Jessie’s mother did everything right, but never felt good enough. She loved God, but never felt she measured up. And now Jessie, orphaned, graduated from college, and determined, plans to continue her mother’s job, to honor or mend her memory.

In a small American 1960s mill town, lives and jobs are depended on salaries paid by the owner. But a new owner, with a big house to maintain, might not have enough left over to offer a raise. When livelihoods are threatened, tempers begin to boil over and
Sunflower
Jan 02, 2010 Sunflower rated it it was amazing
Cast a Road Before Me: Book One of the Bradleyville Series (BRADLEYVILLE SERIES) Cast a Road Before Me: Book One of the Bradleyville Series by Brandilyn Collins

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
"Cast a Road Before Me" is the second book of the Bradleyville series that I have read and I'm fast becoming a fan of the Bradleyville series as a whole.

Book One of the Bradleyville series,"Cast a Road Before Me" is set in the small town of Bradleyville around 1968. Capturing the feel of the era, the story is centered around Jessie who is orphaned at the age of 16 and goest live her with aunt
Anne Campbell
Jun 18, 2015 Anne Campbell rated it it was amazing
Brandilyn Collins has this tremendous talent for dragging you into a story and not letting go. I mean, she won't even let go when the story ends. Even as you draw a breath of relief that the hero and heroine made it all the way to the end not only unscathed, she leaving you wanting these characters to come back to life like they were a few minutes before. Now I'm an addict hollering for more. Thanks, Brandilyn.

Jessie Carlton vowed she would finish her mother's life work after her mom's life was
Ramona
Mar 02, 2016 Ramona rated it really liked it
Cast a Road Before Me is the first in the Bradleyville Series by Ms. Collins. As with all her novels, I am amazed with her talent as an author. She continues to pen page turning novels in lightening speed. For that I am thankful.

"A course-changing event in one's life can happen in minutes. Or it can form slowly, a primitive webbing splaying into fingers of discontent, a minuscule trail hardening into the sinewed spine of resentment. So it was with the mill workers as the heat-soaked days of sum
Penny Marks
Mar 17, 2016 Penny Marks rated it it was amazing
This is the second book that I have read by Brandilyn Collins and I am hooked! I love how she grabs you from the very first page. She has you feeling like you are right there with each of her characters. I must admit that I lost time while reading this one, I just couldn't stop reading.
Jessie Carlton is orphaned after loosing her mother in a car accident. Her mother was a Christian women who gave everything she had to God and her community. She had to leave Cincinnati to go live with her Aunt Ev
Debora Wilder
May 21, 2016 Debora Wilder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredible personal soul searching novel!

This marvelous story is set in 1968 rural Kentucky. The time period and the setting described and presented so clearly and in such detail that I felt like I had truly gone back in time and was walking the streets of Bradleyville along with Jessie.

I love the simplicity of the characters. They are wonderfully well developed but with their simpler lifestyle they seem simple and straight forward. I ached for Jessie throughout the story. I wanted her to sor
Victoria
Mar 29, 2016 Victoria rated it it was amazing
I was very pleased with this book. The characters were very well developed, the story flowed smoothly. It was a good, Christian fiction. No sexual content. Nice and clean. The story kept me riveted to the book. It is a real page turner. You really don't know what she will choose to do. The one thing I did not like was the ending. I felt it should have gone just a little further. I can't say much about this as it will give away the ending, but it stopped short for my taste. But, other than that, ...more
Melissa
Sep 21, 2015 Melissa rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed with this book. I've read a couple of Brandilyn's books before and enjoyed them (especially Eyes of Elisha), but not so much with this one. I basically kept reading because my Kindle kept telling me I didn't have too much more left in the book, so I pressed on. A lot of the book seemed repetitive as to why Jessie wanted to leave so badly, and why she hated violence. I understand that both of those things were a big part of the storyline, but we got it. The first time. Als ...more
TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey
Dec 11, 2010 TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
A course-changing event in one’s life can happen in minutes. Or it can form slowly, a primitive webbing splaying into fingers of discontent, a minuscule trail hardening into the sinewed spine of resentment. So it was with the mill workers as the heat-soaked days of summer marched on.

City girl Jessie, orphaned at sixteen, struggles to adjust to life with her barely known aunt and uncle in the tiny town of Bradleyville, Kentucky. Eight years later (1968), she plans on leaving—to follow in her reve
Jennifer Nelson
This is an excellent book! I had almost given up on finding good Christian fiction before reading Cast a Road Before Me. Set in a small, charming Kentucky town, Bradleyville, in the 1960s, this is the story of a young woman named Jessie who has her life planned out and yet begins to feel the call of God in her life pointing her in the opposite direction. The author creates compelling tension as we watch Jessie resist God's wooing through the people and circumstances of her life.

I really appreci
Joan Arning
Apr 01, 2016 Joan Arning rated it liked it
Cast a Road Before Me shows how confused our lives can be when we follow our own plans rather than asking God what His plans are. The characters are well-written. There is some suspense; however, this is not one of Brandilyn Collins' Seatbelt Suspense books. I enjoyed this book and recommend it to others.

I received Cast a Road Before Me from www.bookfun.org in exchange for my honest opinion.
Kristine Jared
Feb 24, 2015 Kristine Jared rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To love or work, that is this girl's question.

This book starts out like a romance novel but quickly changes gears. Yes, there is some romance just as every good life has love in it. The author deftly weaves suspense and mystery into the love lines to keep the readers guessing. You'll enjoy the quirks of the town and the curves in the road ahead as you read.
Robin
Jan 28, 2015 Robin rated it it was amazing
This is a very profound book about finding God's plan for your life and extending forgiveness. It has touched me deeply. The vehicle of problems in a small town and it's mill was an excellent vehicle for telling the story. Such a pleasure to read a love story that has no profanity nor sexual content of any kind is truly refreshing. Highly recommend this book to one and all.
Lynda Knapp
Sep 06, 2016 Lynda Knapp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read!

Although it took me a while to get into the story, once I did, I was hooked. Reading about Jessie, Eva, Frank, and all the residents of Bradleyville kept me turning the pages to find out what would happen. I did enjoy reading this book and definitely recommend it.
Judith Ann Garrett
Loved it!!!!!

We all have been side tracked, thinking God had the wheel when it was actually us at the helm. It takes a simple prayer to our Lord to get us back on the path he has laid out for us. It's never easy giving up the wheel, trusting He knows what's best.
Diane  Pitts
Dec 28, 2014 Diane Pitts rated it really liked it
I'm definitely a Brandilyn Collin's fan. This book takes a different turn--not the hold-onto-your-chair ride but rather can-I- turn-around.
The themes are well developed as are characters. Take the time to look at the Bradleyville series. You won't be disappointed.
Regina
Feb 17, 2015 Regina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heartfelt picture of love and forgiveness

This was my first time reading a book from this author. This was a great book. A lot of lessons are wrapped in the pages.
Diane Aldinger-samson
Jun 14, 2015 Diane Aldinger-samson rated it it was amazing
I had read some of Brandyllins latest books with fast paced suspense. This book is nothing like her current books. I was surprisingly pleased and can't wait to read more.
Lena F Gassner
May 08, 2015 Lena F Gassner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

One of the better books that I have read lately. Entertaining and fast moving a few twists and turns I didn't see coming. Enjoy
Stacy
Jan 15, 2009 Stacy rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite authors. She also writes mystery-thrillers, with a Christian perspective (not for the faint of heart, but when I'm done reading one of them, I can give it to my daughter to read w/out any worries regarding appropriateness, etc.) One of the author's sayings about her thrillers is 'don't forget to breath' and she's right! Cast a Road Before Me is the first book. The second is Color the Sidewalk for me (I'd rate that one 10 stars--my favorite in the series. It tugs at my ...more
Diamone
Jan 22, 2015 Diamone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book

I was amazed and felt moved by reading this book.......there's always that little voice inside our heads that leading us where we think is not the way
Jluker
Mar 19, 2015 Jluker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an OK book...not nearly as interesting and easy to read as Sidetracked. Doubt that I will finish this series.
Loraine
May 11, 2011 Loraine rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed the Bradleyville Series. Collins plots are believeable and her character development is pretty spot on. Jessie returns to Bradleyville and her aunt and uncle's home after finishing college. She still carries deep hurts from the tragic death of her only parent, her mother, in a car crash when she is 16. Turmoil that develops in Bradleyville surrounding a possible strike at the town's mill, leads Jessie and her new love Lee into encounters that make them face their anger against lif ...more
Deb Todd
Jul 13, 2014 Deb Todd rated it liked it
The book started slow but ended up being a fairly good read.
Peggy Morgan
First rate story set in the 1960s about love and loss and the importance of putting God first.
Allyson
Dec 23, 2014 Allyson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Fascinating look at small town life and the mob mentality that encompasses that life. I greatly appreciated how religion played such a huge part in the book yet I never once felt that I was being preached to. It was simply a part of the sorry and rounded it out nicely.
Stephanie
Nov 19, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jess
Jan 04, 2015 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book quite a bit!
Dawn Traylor
good

This was a good book, not great. It flowed well with lots of characters. The storyline was pretty one dimensional and some characters weren't even named so it lost you a little. Love her suspense novels a whole lot more!
Karen
Mar 31, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
Listened to this on tape on our road trip and it was a wonderful story.
I love inspirational books that explain salvation so simply and it is a story of a struggle which we all go through. What is God's plan for us vs. what we THINK God's plan is for us.
  • Midnight Sea (Aloha Reef #4)
  • Caught in the Act (Amhearst Mystery Series #2) (Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense #54)
  • A Higher Justice (The Trials of Kit Shannon #5)
  • Torchlight
  • Ransomed Dreams (Defenders of Hope #1)
  • Black Ice (Fog Point, #2)
  • Jett (Descended, #1)
  • The Trial
  • The Wedding Caper (Bridal Mayhem Mystery, #1)
  • Never Without Hope (Sacred Vows, #1)
  • Trial by Fire (Newpointe 911 #4)
  • Snitch (Occupational Hazards, #2)
  • A Quarter for a Kiss (The Million Dollar Mysteries, #4)
  • Double Trouble (PJ Sugar, #2)
  • A Trusting Heart (Souls of Indenture, #2)
  • Second Opinion (Healing Touch Series, #1)
Brandilyn Collins is a best-selling novelist known for her trademark Seatbelt Suspense--fast-paced, character-driven suspense with myriad twists and an interwoven thread of faith.

Brandilyn is also known for her distinctive book on fiction-writing techniques, Getting Into Character: Seven Secrets a Novelist Can Learn From Actors (John Wiley & Sons). She is a sought-after teacher and speaker at
More about Brandilyn Collins...

Bradleyville Series (3 books)
  • Color the Sidewalk for Me (Bradleyville Series, #2)
  • Capture the Wind for Me (Bradleyville Series, #3)