Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in Your 20s and 30s” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Complete Idiot's G...

Sarah Young Fisher

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in Your 20s and 30s (The Complete Idiot's Guides)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews

You're no idiot, of course. You're financially independent: You pay rent, utilities, and loans all out of your own paycheck. You realize that your parents had to cut the cord sooner or later, and you're proud of how well you've adjusted. But when it comes to saving money for the long haul, you feel like an astronaut whose oxygen cord has been cut. Don't drift into a financ

Published March 19th 1999 by Alpha

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in Your 20s and 30s

Christa
Nov 22, 2013 Christa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-quit
I better hurry up and read this before I end up out of my 30s without knowing anything about personal finance.
Much of this is tied to the times in which you read it, and this is an outdated version. I don't feel a lot better about my options.
Alex Le
Jan 18, 2009 Alex Le rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid financial advices for young people to master and keep track of your money.

My take on this: use tools. Use free tools that keep track of your life automatically for you. Mint.com (best choice), or Quicken (offline only, so it's a pain, has more features you may not need them all). Mint is slim and easy to use.

Have an online bank with auto-debit that force you to save money. It's always a good thing to have extra cash somewhere that you don't know about, but can be a life-saver in emergency
Ashley
Jul 06, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lynn
Oct 19, 2010 Lynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money-management
Ok, this book opened my eyes up to new jargon as well as offered some foolproof tips on managing finance, mortgage, insurance, etc. I didnt like it all that much because it grated on my nerves, but somehow I knew I had to finish it. Well, I had no idea what a 401k plan was before, and money markets and some other sh!t, and am aware that what I read is for the American market.

I was hoping that I could ignore the readership fact and get as much out of it as possible, and I think I did. If the book
Katharine Rudzitis
If you are a 20-something and know NOTHING about managing your money, this is worth a read. Otherwise, pick up more advanced books.
Lauren
Apr 27, 2014 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Though an old version (I took far too long to read this book after actually purchasing it), there are some illuminating topics. I found the complexity of the topics to vary pretty wildly-I was able to skip entire parts. Additionally, some of the information was generally out of date.

I would recommend this book generally to those looking to get a hold of their financial lives, but I would obviously recommend a more recent edition.

Good read, but it's probably not necessary for most people to rea
Nick ryan davis
Very basic. Most of the information is common sense.
Adrienne
Jun 05, 2007 Adrienne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So far there is mostly info I already know or have already lived through, but that is no surprise considering I'm in the 30s bracket. There is some user-friendly info on how to best save and all that basic kind of stuff. I think unless you are really in a bad financial place, a higher level book would prove to be much better. The writing style is true to the title, sometimes the author speaks in a truly idiotic manner.
Mel
Jul 27, 2011 Mel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think overall this is a great book... but after the first portion it didnt really add anything new or useful for me. However, being that I am in Australia, most of the information after that point wasnt really relevant. Overall, the setup of the book was very good - great for people just starting out.
Kris
Mar 20, 2011 Kris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got this for Christmas a few years ago. In my opinion, by mistake (to the wrong niece). However, I've been reviewing some items I'm not familiar with, while also literally highlighting basic items for my sister to pay attention to and learn about. This is what doing homework for your sibling feels like.
j
Feb 14, 2011 j rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
Good, solid, very informative, well thought-out. My only complaint is that there is a LOT of repetition, especially in the sections on investing. I was reading the ebook version and I swear I got a hand cramp from flicking through so many consecutive sections on the same stuff.
Jane
Dec 11, 2011 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Non-fiction about money isn't always the easiest read. It was the case here. Though very informative, there were parts that were strictly for American readers that I found didn't apply to my situation. Nonetheless, it was worth reading to get some perspective.
Anna
Dec 17, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A little bit of information about a lot of things - most of which is not applicable to me since I don't have any money, but someday it will probably be good to know! It all makes me a little sad though, how complicated everything has become.
Kaity
May 03, 2011 Kaity rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of it was old news to me, but overall it was a really great analysis of what 20-30 yos need to be thinking about as they emerge as professionals/workers. I found it to be very useful info.
Mary
Oct 30, 2011 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a nice overview of finances. Now that I have a few things defined, I'll go deeper. I might even figure out how to become a billionaire.
I didn't really read this from cover to cover, but what I did read was valuable and logical. I'll probably read it again and use it for reference.
Sawy-o
Jul 15, 2008 Sawy-o rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An embarrassment to my read list, but fairly useful in starting to think about financial responsibility. Yay life skills!
Lindsey
Aug 03, 2009 Lindsey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Even I'm not this much of an idiot.
Feather Stolzenbach
Because I am an idiot!
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Richard Woods
Richard Woods marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Tatyana Kichukova
Tatyana Kichukova marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
AmazonHowl
AmazonHowl rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
Jan 17, 2016
Lauren Shook
Lauren Shook marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Julia Peroutka
Julia Peroutka marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Marina Marvich
Marina Marvich is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2016
Benjamin Giles
Benjamin Giles marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Your Money Map: A Proven 7-Step Guide to True Financial Freedom
  • The Road to Wealth: A Comprehensive Guide to Your Money
  • A Garlic Testament: Seasons on a Small New Mexico Farm
  • Illustrated Guide to Gardening (updated w/ color)
  • Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money
  • The Wall Street Journal Complete Money and Investing Guidebook
  • Blogging All-In-One for Dummies
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • The Eco-nomical Baby Guide: Down-to-Earth Ways for Parents to Save Money and the Planet
  • Inside a U.S. Embassy: How the Foreign Service Works for America
  • The First National Bank of Dad: The Best Way to Teach Kids About Money
  • Manners
  • The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet: Know What Goes Into Every Bite with More Than 200 of the Most Deliciously Nutritious Homemade Baby Food Recipes-Includes More Than 60 Purees Your Baby Will Love
  • Personal Finance
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting Published
  • Straying From the Path
  • Paula Deen's My First Cookbook
  • 1001 Things Every College Student Needs to Know: Like Buying Your Books Before Exams Start

The Complete Idiot's Guides (1 - 10 of 207 books)
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to American History
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to American Literature
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ancient Greece
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Assertiveness
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Astronomy (Complete Idiot's Guide to)