Start by marking “The Wizard of Quarks: A Fantasy of Particle Physics” as Want to Read:
The Wizard of Quarks: A Fantasy of Particle Physics

The Wizard of Quarks: A Fantasy of Particle Physics

Get ready to take another fantastic journey with physicist and author Robert Gilmore, this time with Dorothy, following the yellow building block road through the land of the Wizard of Quarks. Using characters and situations based on the universally known story, The Wizard of Oz, we learn along the way about the fascinating world of particle physics. Classes of particles, ...more
Published September 21st 2001 by Copernicus Books (first published November 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Wizard of Quarks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wizard of Quarks

Flew Flewelling
Apr 26, 2015 Flew Flewelling rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
When I picked this book up, I was expecting to learn a little more about particle physics in a unique and entertaining way. It took me two tries to get through. I think the first time I was expecting more on the entertaining side. After a couple of months and realizing that it wasn't as much entertainment as using the story of the Wizard of Oz to teach the basics, i made it through on my second pass.

The Wizard of Oz was as good a choice as any for this topic. I will definitely remember the four
Julian Onions
Aug 26, 2015 Julian Onions rated it it was amazing
Very clever explanation of the four forces, based loosely on the wizard or Oz. Some details make more sense, I think you can read it at a number of levels. Probaly not for everyone though!
Rebekha G.
Mar 15, 2010 Rebekha G. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stuff-to-learn
Having been enamored by the Movie "What the bleep do we know", I decided to look into a few of the experimental, particle and quantum physicists(among a multitude of other scientists) interviewed for and in the movie. This is one such scientists. He is a particle physicist, and makes a pretty good attempt at simplifying an extremely complex discipline for those plebeians among us who want to understating the basics.
DavidO
Apr 02, 2013 DavidO rated it it was ok
It covers a lot of information about quantum physics, but I was hoping it would be funnier and more entertaining and less educational.
Vicky
May 28, 2012 Vicky marked it as to-read
I got about 12 pages in before getting confused. I'll try again when I feel like devoting more mental energy to a book.
Adrienne
Jul 18, 2010 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Another made of win sciencey parody of awesome books. Particle physics make so much sense with this. :D
Jon Earnshaw
Dec 11, 2012 Jon Earnshaw rated it it was amazing
Brilliant - read with Alice in Quantumland
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Mark Bacon
Mark Bacon marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
J'Lauren Priest
J'Lauren Priest marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
AtticaReads
AtticaReads marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Magnus Valison
Magnus Valison marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Henrique Cezar
Henrique Cezar marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Thomas Öberg
Thomas Öberg marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
C. Bryant
C. Bryant rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Tiago Moraes
Tiago Moraes rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Zoubir
Zoubir marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Diona Joi
Diona Joi marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Miladin Hadzhiev
Miladin Hadzhiev marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Ilaria Bassi
Ilaria Bassi marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Bella
Bella marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Margaret Mackey
Margaret Mackey marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Mari-Ngay
Mari-Ngay marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
郭子嘉
郭子嘉 marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Beamish13
Beamish13 marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Tamiko
Tamiko marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016