Start by marking “Mathematics: Is God Silent?” as Want to Read:
Mathematics: Is God Silent?

Mathematics: Is God Silent?

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  24 reviews
This book revolutionizes the prevailing understanding and teaching of math. The addition of this book is a must for all upper-level Christian school curricula and for college students and adults interested in math or related fields of science and religion. It will serve as a solid refutation for the claim, often made in court, that mathematics is one subject, which cannot ...more
Published January 1st 2001 by Ross House Books

To ask other readers questions about Mathematics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mathematics

Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas R. HofstadterFermat's Enigma by Simon SinghFlatland by Edwin A. AbbottThe Code Book by Simon SinghZero by Charles Seife
Best Books About Mathematics
65th out of 204 books — 333 voters
Mathematics by James NickelMath For All Seasons by Greg TangSir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi by Cindy NeuschwanderThe Greedy Triangle by Marilyn BurnsMath Games & Activities from Around the World by Claudia Zaslavsky
Math Classics
1st out of 35 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Katherine Loop
Mathematics: Is God Silent? is the resource that first opened my eyes to the fact that math could be viewed from a biblical worldview. A valuable reference book for any math teacher, this extensive book functions like a Christian encyclopedia on math. If you’re not a math person, you may find this book challenging to read because of its thoroughness and mathematical terminology, but it contains a lot of important mathematical information and is well worth the effort! In the first part of the boo ...more
Audrey
In relation to my teaching career, this is possibly the most influential book I've ever read. My faculty adviser recommended it years ago, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't read it at the time. On the other hand, I think I appreciated it more now, having already wrestled somewhat unsuccessfully through the challenges of biblically integrating math in a meaningful way (not just slapping verses on things or repeating "God is a God of order" over and over). The author's points and perspective me ...more
Aubrey Amundson
An invaluable resource for the study of all things abstract and concrete. I drew from it a better understanding of the history of mathematics, contrasting its philosophical application in pagan classical thought leading to useless cyclical reasoning to its often overlooked Biblical function in structural, aesthetic and scientific analysis for the purpose of evangelical cultural dominion taking. The last two chapters are full of strategies for inspiring children with a love and delight in discove ...more
Hannah
This was a very good informational book. I don't really like math, but I believe that God created it so I wanted to develop a better attitude toward math. My dad had this book and I finally got the chance to read it. It amazed me how many people devoted their lives to the study of math, and Mr. Nickel talks of many of them. If you don't have time to read the whole book I very much recommend reading the last chapter which if you teach math is very important. And since I plan on homeschooling it w ...more
Matthew Hodge
It's almost unheard of to get a book like this - that looks at maths and the various discoveries of the last few centuries from a theological and philosophical point of view. You may disagree with many of Nickel's interpretations depending on your beliefs but what he does really well is move maths from being a pointless intellectual exercise we did in school to a position of being a wondrous language that God instilled in creation.

The question this book asks is - if mathematics is just a man-ma
Raimund
Dec 27, 2010 Raimund rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone interested in a synthesis of scripture and science
Recommended to Raimund by: Ross House Books Online Catalog
This book is quite unique. If one could think of any subject which seems to be neutral it would be Math. Yet James Nickel shows the close link between Math and our world explained through the doctrine of creation. In Nickel's words, "A vast gold mine of history, philosophy, and breathtaking revelations of the manifold wonders of God's creation lie behind the mathematical formulae".

This book will expand the reader's horizon of understanding math, scripture, and scientific history in a way comple
Megan Johnson
Surprisingly readable and enlightening, thought-provoking.
Marni
Absolutely amazing book! Surprisingly readable. Includes philosophy, history, worldview, and yes, math. Nickel shows why your worldview, your beliefs about what can be known and how/whether the universe began determine how you study math and whether you apply it to the real world. He argues that math must be studied in order to apply it to science and improving quality of life, that math can be studied because the universe was created by a transcendent and personal God, and that math should be l ...more
Andre Harmse
The author gives a very full introduction to historic mathematicians and often analyzes how their worldview shaped their (or their culture's) work or approach to math. One major thesis -- that math represents the unity of the diversity of creation, just as there is unity in diversity in the trinity -- is consistently built througout the book. I found some of his other points or critiques less compelling and would recommend further study of them, perhaps in the author's lengthy bibliography.
Lynn
This book challenged me to think about numbers. I guess I always thought quantity just 'is' - kind of like time. Who can imagine a life without numbers or a time before time could be measured? Not that anyone 'invented' these things but rather developed a way to take dominion and organize them. This book probably deserves 5 stars but there was too much I didn't quite 'get'. It's going in my 'read again' pile to better grasp so much of what I missed on the first journey thru.
Jeremy
Nickel offers a good historical and philosophical analysis of the development of mathematics. His development is far better researched, and consequently more factually based, than Mlodinow's "Euclid's Window." Nickel does a good job in relating developments in math and science to philosophical and religious frameworks, though at times he oversimplifies the connections and forces them into a pro-Christian framework that doesn't always fit neatly.
Brett
Nickel systematically presents the connection between mathematics and God. He first takes us through a brief tour of the history of mathematics and then gives a broad picture of what a Christian math curriculum should look like. By no means is this a fascinating read with elegant prose but Nickel does an admirable job of calling Christians back to a Biblical worldview of the sciences. This is a must read for any Christian math teacher.
Sco
Sep 11, 2009 Sco is currently reading it
Nickel's work was one of the books the Lord used over a decade ago to bring me to a reformed understanding of the Faith. The book was a watershed for me then. Now, this 2nd and expanded edition, is even more thorough in its explanation of the Christian worldview and application to all of life. Currently, I have the pleasure of not only enjoying the book again, but reading through it with my oldest son. God is very good!
Carl Hellman
This book is easy to pick up and put down. It is basically a history of math and its premise is to show that God is a God of order; therefore, you can see this orderliness in math and the principles underlying math. It describes advances of math under many different cultures and time periods from the beginning to current times. I enjoyed it!
Stephanie
I loved this book. You don't have to be a math guru like myself to understand it. I used to wonder where God is seen in the area of mathematics. This book opened my eyes to the infinite number of areas. There's a lot of history, but it's necessary in order to understand the Lord's leading throughout time.
Steve
I don't know of another book that tries to set out a thorough Biblically formed view of Maths like this one dies..
This was my second time through, the first was back in 1991..
Not sure if this is a new edition and expanded, but mine is a 120 page hardback large format.
Rkeddins
Amazing well written for a math book. Get ready for an education on the history and development of mathematics from the perspective of christian thought. The one subject that is thought to be amoral or agnostic, but once again we learn that God is transcendent.
James
Though I struggled with math in high school, I loved this book. It took the wonders of creation and stated them in numerical form, giving both the numbers and physical creation a beauty I hadn't seen before.
James B.
Nickel has done a good job presenting a Christian view of mathematics, arranged historically. My only complaint is that too many sections are incomplete -- I wanted more!
Theresa
I LOVED this book! A LOT of it was way over my head and I read it over an over and over again because I loved it so much :D It is BeautyFul...
Rebecca
Again a fascinating book lent to me by Steph. I am SO excited to read it!
Karen L.
Jun 18, 2010 Karen L. marked it as to-read
I am not a math person, but as a home school mom, am trying to change that.
Scott Mitts
Awesome. Increased my love for both God and math.
Myron
Cosmology, ontology, axiology, soteriology, epistemology, ethics, and teleology. Mathematics provides insight into each of these field of study. This is a provocative writing for those that have a basic appreciation for science from a biblical worldview. Readily understandable.
Marita
Marita marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Happyguy
Happyguy marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Adventurous Saikat
Adventurous Saikat marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Lobna
Lobna marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
William Schram
William Schram marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
  • Beauty for Truth's Sake: On the Reenchantment of Education
  • By This Standard: The Authority of God's Law Today
  • The Institutes of Biblical Law, Volume 1 of 3
  • Letter from a Christian Citizen: A Response to "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris
  • Math and the Mona Lisa: The Art and Science of Leonardo da Vinci
  • The Mathematical Universe: An Alphabetical Journey Through the Great Proofs, Problems, and Personalities
  • The Life and Campaigns of Stonewall Jackson
  • Mathematical Mysteries
  • Calculated Risks: How to Know When Numbers Deceive You
  • Home-Making
  • An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers
  • Saving Leonardo: A Call to Resist the Secular Assault on Mind, Morals, and Meaning
  • A Mathematician's Lament: How School Cheats Us Out of Our Most Fascinating and Imaginative Art Form
James Nickel holds degrees in mathematics (B.A.), theology (B.Th. and B.Miss.), and education (M.A.). He is also a candidate for the M.S. degree (Master of Science in Mathematics with a Teaching Option) from Texas A&M University.

He is married with three grown children and living in Wenatchee, Washington.

Email: jdnickel@juno.com
More about James Nickel...
Lift Up Your Eyes On High (Understanding The Stars) Making Sense of Human Rights The Incarnation of the Word and the Transformation of the Landscape of Mathematics Democracy in a Global World: Human Rights and Political Participation in the 21st Century The Idea of a Political Liberalism: Essays on Rawls