The Ninth Nugget (A Stepping Stone Book)

The Ninth Nugget (A to Z Mysteries #14)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,102 ratings  ·  35 reviews
N is for Nugget...

Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are spending a week at a dude ranch. Everything is normal in a cowboy kind of way–until Josh finds a huge gold nugget! Just as they are deciding what to do with their newfound riches, the nugget disappears. Will the kids be able to track down the thief before it’s time to mosey on home?

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published September 9th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2001)

Aaron_ebert
May 21, 2013 Aaron_ebert rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children between the ages of 8-12
Recommended to Aaron_ebert by: Lincoln VanCuick
Shelves: childrens-books
"The Ninth Nugget" by Ron Roy is a book about an adventure that Josh, Dink and Ruth Rose have when they go to visit a dude ranch in Montana. While they were there they panned for gold with all the guests of the ranch. Everyone found a gold nugget except Dink, so he moved upstream. While there, he fell in the water and found a nugget the size of a potato. When they returned to the cabin, Pa Wheat, the owner of the ranch, offered to keep the nugget in his safe in the kitchen. The next morning a th...more
Zach Costello
"The Ninth Nugget" is a book about three friends named Josh, Dink, and Ruth Rose. They travel to a dude ranch for a week. One day into the camp the three go panning for gold. Josh finds a nugget the size of a potato. The owner of the ranch locks the nugget up and says he wiill take Josh to town the next day to get it appraised. The next day the friends go out on a horseback ride. When they come back some of the workers are tied up and Josh's gold nugget is gone. They three friends look for clues...more
Corbin Billington
This book was a bit predictable, but had a good plot line. The author gave away what was going to happen too easily. It was obvious who stole the nugget after Josh put it in a safe. I rated this book three out of five stars, because it had a good plot and it was predictable. I would recommend this book to younger readers around the age of thirteen and boys and girls would enjoy this book. This mystery book did not keep me on my toes like Ron Roy’s other mysteries, but it was still very enjoyable
Lincoln
I read "The Ninth Nugget", by Ron Roy. In this book three kids named, Josh, Dink, and Ruth Rose go to a cowboy camp in the west. The three kids go out, and pan for gold. Then Dink finds a golden nugget the size of a potatoe, but it gets stolen. The three kids try to figure out who the thief is throughout the story, and eventually do. I would reccomend this book to anyone interested in a good mystery, or for ages 13 and under, because its not that difficult of a book to read.
Brittany
My 5 year old loved this and wants to read the other books in this series. It was a slow starting mystery, but there was a mystery and that's what my son will tell you his favorite kind of books are. He was so excited that he was able to figure out who the bad guy was and he even explained how he knew. So not only do I need to find the rest of the books in this series, we need to go "hunting" for gold as well!
Aaron Schroeder
Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are spending a weekend at a ranch. One day they are all out gold mining in the river close by, and Josh strikes rich with a chunk of gold the size of a potato. A couple days later the gold was stolen, and the kids are determined to find who took it. I recommend this book to everybody in high school and younger, because its fun to read but it is pretty childish.
Kori Looker
I enjoyed the mystery to this book. It's about a boy and his two other friends who go to camp where they pan for gold. One boy finds a gigantic nugget of gold, but it gets stolen. The case to solve the mystery on who stole the nugget is on-going. I suggest this book to anyone who likes mystery books.
Tamra
Jan 29, 2010 Tamra rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tamra by: my 8-year-old daughter
My 8-year-old has been reading this series lately. I asked her which was her favorite, and she listed off every single book in the series that she'd read. I watched her reading this one, and she was glued to it. When she finished she gave it to me and said, "Read it."

Here's part of my gripe with kids' books: What's with the 10-year-old kids traveling without parents? I mean, what kind of a parent sends their 10-year-old kid to a dude ranch (or anywhere else except across the street) without adul...more
Marlee
As with other books in this series, this is fun, and quick. It can be solved, but there are also some clues to mislead the children. My kids are 6 and 9 and they both loved this book. It's definitely a fun series for younger kids.
Jessica
My sons did some panning for gold this summer, so they were really looking forward to this book. However, about half way through my younger son, "Where's the mystery?" and indeed, there was no mystery yet. It was all still set-up of the dude ranch environment. When they finally got around to the mystery, they had to solve it and wrap it up so quickly (to get the book done in the 80 pages the books of these series fun) that there were few clues for the reader to use to solve it on his/her own. So...more
luhvBOOKS
Title: The Ninth Nugget

Author: Ron Roy

Series: A to Z Mysteries #14

Rating: ★★★★

Summary: Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are spending a week at a dude ranch. Everything is normal in a cowboy kind of way-until Josh finds a huge gold nugget Just as they are deciding what to do with their newfound riches, the nugget disappears. Will the kids be able to track down the thief before it's time to mosey on home?

Review: This book is the most memorable out of the whole series.

Things I Loved: The N mystery!

Things...more
Andrew
it was really good!
Dolly
Jul 18, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We're trucking right along in the A to Z Mysteries series. We started the series in the middle and read books as we came upon them, but now we're hooked and we're more than half-way through. We enjoyed this mystery, and look forward to the next. It's a little far-fetched that these kids get to travel alone to Bozeman, Montana to visit a ranch for a vacation, but then again, it's just a story.
Dawn
Luke is loving this series. Chapter books right at his level, and this has been his favorite one so far. He doesn't seem to want to read the same books that Kate read at this level, so that has been a challenge - finding new books that hold his interest. So far, this A-Z mystery series has been a big hit.
Sydney
When dink and josh and Ruth rose go to there uncle's house they meet his friends who live with him. Then they go panning for gold when josh finds a big piece of gold he wants it to be safe and then the next morning his gold is stolen.
Malcolm says, "I liked the story of the bear, and I liked the end too because the girl was dressed up like a bear and she was like, "raaaar! Where's my baby?" and she said it in a real bear voice and that was funny.
Isabella
Oct 23, 2011 Isabella rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
The Ninth Nugget was about a mystery and Joshua was trying to find his missing gold. Dink,Ruth Rose, and Josh the went to a Ma and Pa's western ranch. Josh found his gold by going up to the top of the river.
Sara
Josh finds a really big nugget, but was stolen by a guy that pretended to have strained his leg. They captured him in a cowboy loop. I recommend this book to those who love mysteries.
Mitch T
great mystery! a great read for kids! here is his website. www.ronroy.com
here he isRon Roy
Coloradokaylee
This book is an amazing and interesting book about a country mystery. Josh finds a gold nugget on a trip to the country and soon it gets stolen.
Lara
I don't get this one because there is only one nugget and it says there are nine in the title.
Eddie
(view spoiler)
Cairn
Emily
In evrey AtoZ mystery Dink Josh and Ruth Rose solve a mystery
Banana
This was one of my favorite A to Z mystery books!
Megan
this is an amazing book! :D :)
Hernan
Nov 29, 2007 Hernan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: a friend
i think is ok so far but i liked it
  • Tooth Trouble (Ready, Freddy! #1)
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • Stage Fright on a Summer Night (Magic Tree House, #25)
  • The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2)
  • Nate the Great and the Big Sniff
  • Pugsley (The Puppy Place, #9)
  • Pony Problems (Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew, #3)
  • Werewolves Don't Go to Summer Camp (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #2)
Full name: Wallace Ronald Roy
Most known for the children's mystery series "A-Z Mysteries" and "Calendar Mysteries"
More about Ron Roy...
The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1) The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2) The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9) The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3) The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries, #5)