Start by marking “The Writing Experiment: Strategies for Innovative Creative Writing” as Want to Read:
The Writing Experiment: Strategies for Innovative Creative Writing

The Writing Experiment: Strategies for Innovative Creative Writing

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Experienced writing teacher Hazel Smith demystifies the process of creative writing, providing exercises and examples to show how it can be systematically learnt.
Published March 1st 2005 by Allen & Unwin Academic

To ask other readers questions about The Writing Experiment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Writing Experiment

Phrase Manipulation

This exercise consists of three aspects, Phrase Permutation, Word Substitution and Addition and Subtraction. I recommend it for anyone who is feeling stuck for ideas or feeling stale. It’s another technique to explore the endless shades of grey in phrase structure and meaning. It’s like stretching before you play sports, limber up those literary muscles. The more you do it the easier it will come whilst writing, you will start mixing up your phrasing without even thinking abou
Bess Phoebe
After reading this book, I honestly felt the need to force every single English I know to become aware of it. Really amazing stuff, this is a book I believe anyone interested in creative writing must own a copy of, really a well informative book covering all concepts of creative writing.
Susan O.
This book is amazing if you are trying to improve your writing. It is great for any type of writer too. Doesn't matter if you are a poet, prose, etc. Everyone can find something in this book.
Perhaps if I had my PhD this book would make sense to me. As it stands I have no idea why it is marketed as an Intro to Creative Writing Textbook.
This focuses more on poetry than novels/short stories, but still offers some great advice when it comes to linguistics.
some interesting exercises and some not so interesting ones.
Great teaching tool!
Lindsay Bee
Lindsay Bee marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
❀terri❀ marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Shannon Ferretti
Shannon Ferretti marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Robb marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
sean is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2015
J marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Molly Dumars
Molly Dumars marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Alisha is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2015
Jordana is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2015
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
tee marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Ceri Naz
Ceri Naz marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Michael Earp
Michael Earp is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2015
Donald marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Luthando Ngubo
Luthando Ngubo is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2015
Joy marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Jordan marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015