Start by marking “The Writing Experiment: Strategies for Innovative Creative Writing” as Want to Read:
The Writing Experiment: Strategies for Innovative Creative Writing
Preview

The Writing Experiment: Strategies for Innovative Creative Writing

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Experienced writing teacher Hazel Smith demystifies the process of creative writing, providing exercises and examples to show how it can be systematically learnt.
Published March 1st 2005 by Allen & Unwin Academic

To ask other readers questions about The Writing Experiment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Writing Experiment

Lit-Creek
Phrase Manipulation

This exercise consists of three aspects, Phrase Permutation, Word Substitution and Addition and Subtraction. I recommend it for anyone who is feeling stuck for ideas or feeling stale. It’s another technique to explore the endless shades of grey in phrase structure and meaning. It’s like stretching before you play sports, limber up those literary muscles. The more you do it the easier it will come whilst writing, you will start mixing up your phrasing without even thinking abou
Phoebe Alice
After reading this book, I honestly felt the need to force every single English I know to become aware of it. Really amazing stuff, this is a book I believe anyone interested in creative writing must own a copy of, really a well informative book covering all concepts of creative writing.
Susan O.
This book is amazing if you are trying to improve your writing. It is great for any type of writer too. Doesn't matter if you are a poet, prose, etc. Everyone can find something in this book.
Allison
Perhaps if I had my PhD this book would make sense to me. As it stands I have no idea why it is marketed as an Intro to Creative Writing Textbook.
Jess
This focuses more on poetry than novels/short stories, but still offers some great advice when it comes to linguistics.
Loren
some interesting exercises and some not so interesting ones.
Great teaching tool!
Donna Cat
Donna Cat marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Lawzz
Lawzz marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Morgan
Morgan is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2015
Danielle
Danielle is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2015
Becca
Becca added it
Feb 15, 2015
Adina
Adina is currently reading it
Feb 05, 2015
Swati
Swati marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Tom Bensley
Tom Bensley marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Pascal Inard
Pascal Inard marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Loki
Loki marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Michaela Lewis
Michaela Lewis marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Wilde
Wilde added it
Jul 09, 2014
Aldivam Silva
Aldivam Silva marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Kernius
Kernius marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Hyperscapes in the Poetry of Frank O�Hara: Difference, Homosexuality,  Topography Practice-Led Research, Research-Led Practice in the Creative Arts The Erotics of Geography Diasporas in Conflict: Peace-Makers or Peace-Wreckers? A Savage Pride