Start by marking “A Short History of Bali: Indonesia's Hindu Realm” as Want to Read:
A Short History of Bali: Indonesia's Hindu Realm

A Short History of Bali: Indonesia's Hindu Realm

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  6 reviews
New in the "Short History of Asia" series, edited by Milton Osborne, this is a highly accessible, beautifully illustrated short history of Bali from the Bronze Age to the 2002 bombing.
Published February 1st 2004 by Allen & Unwin Australia (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Short History of Bali, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Short History of Bali

Picked this up because I was heading to Bali, and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Most of it is a chronological narrative of Bali's history, starting with pre-history then going through the pre-Majapahit, Majapahit, Dutch colonial and post-independence eras. It's all written in a very clear, concise but also personable style - like one of the simpler OUP Very Short Introduction books.

Casual tourists should just read chapter 1, which sets out salient bits about Balinese geography, c
Jennifer Louden
In preparation for our upcoming trip, Bob and I both read this. Super readable and informative. i'm grateful to be married to someone so curious so now I won't be going to Bali with my head filled with myths but with my eyes open to a unique and complex society working to keep what matters to them alive and balanced with modernity.
I just picked this up one day, it's a very thorough and informative biography of Bali. It covers well the ups, downs, wars, modernization and struggle to maintain tradition. I learned a lot about this book and am now even more interested in a visit!
Brief but very informative history of Bali from prehistoric to modern times. Balanced and well rounded. Definitely not an academic book, it was actually quite pleasurable to read.
A good overview of the politics and history of Bali. It could use another chapter bringing it up to date but provides a lot of useful general information.
Hillary marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Mark marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Surama marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Annisa marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Dharendra marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Paxxul is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2014
Erica marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Kate Barr
Kate Barr marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Nick marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Joy marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014