Blank-133x176
Unfinished Empire: The...

John Darwin

Unfinished Empire: The Global Expansion of Britain

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  29 reviews
John Darwin's "After Tamerlane," a sweeping six-hundred-year history of empires around the globe, marked him as a historian of "massive erudition" and narrative mastery. In "Unfinished Empire," he marshals his gifts to deliver a monumental one-volume history of Britain's imperium-a work that is sure to stand as the most authoritative, most compelling treatment of the subje...more
Published February 12th 2013 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Unfinished Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unfinished Empire

Andy
In 1953, two Oxford historians in their early thirties published a paper called "The Imperialism of Free Trade." The paper broke new ground by suggesting that far from being a government-led "project" aimed at cultural and economic dominance (as Marxist historians were insisting), the British Empire had been created by informality and trade. In other words that the Empire had been driven by merchants and entrepreneurs seeking their fortunes on the open seas more than bureaucrats and politicians...more
Don
(FROM MY BLOG) Some of us can remember the old pull-down World maps at the front of our classrooms, maps on which half the countries were colored pink. Those pink lands made up the British Empire.

Empires aren't fashionable these days -- except, perhaps, with neo-cons like Dick Cheney -- but the British Empire has receded far enough into history to exert a nostalgic pull on our affections. We think of explorers (like Dr. Livingston) opening up new areas in Africa and Asia. We visualize military o...more
Martin
An excellent overview of the age of Empire and how Britain conducted itself in its major acquisitions. The book appears to me as well-balanced in its analyses. It does not subscribe to the view that Britain brought culture and industry to backwards peoples, although it does point out its positive additions to a country. Not does the book take the post-colonial view that the British were horribly invasive, greedy and left devastation in their wake, although the book does say as much when the occa...more
Marks54
Louise Miller
I generally enjoyed it. While I didn't really learn anything new, it was on the whole quite enjoyable and easy to read. I would have preferred a few more quotes to break up the text, but the biggest issue I had with it was that he tended to repeat himself - a lot. And while this is potentially ok if that's the only thing you've read about the British Empire, it does get a little tiresome after a while and I did find myself shouting 'get to the point'. That being said, it is a good reference book...more
Mike
This is about as academic a book as I've read since college. Dense, far-reaching and ambitious, Unfinished Empire attempts to offer something of a grand unifying theory behind the rise and fall of the British Empire (1588-c1970).

In keeping with its subject material, Unfinished Empire is nebulous at times, and can be difficult to keep up with. Darwin brings to bear an enormous knowledge of British history, and the demands on the reader are considerable as he jumps from India to South Africa to S...more
Tim C
For anyone with a general interest in the era of Western Imperialism this is a 'must-read' book. It provides an admirably balanced overview of the rise, eminence, and disintegration of the British Imperial system and is written in a clear and accesible, uncluttered style.

John Darwin, who currently seems to be at the height of his powers as a historian, examines the British Empire through a series of themed chapters, each looking at a different aspect of imperialist agency - highlighting the fac...more
Leah
Accessible, edifying and enjoyable…

For the non-academic reader, any history book has to be first and foremost readable and this one most certainly is. Darwin has taken the huge subject of the British Empire and broken it down into a series of themed chapters that makes it accessible and enjoyable reading. For example, one chapter is devoted to Traffic and Trade, while another discusses Ruling Methods. This method allows Darwin to show how similarities and differences in the approach to controlli...more
Tom
Not really a "non-fiction book" Darwin's brilliant survey is more of a thesis or text, highlighting nuances and proposing ideas only a fairly well educated scholar on the topic might I appreciate. I found his effort both far reaching and far seeing, a true "study" of a complex topic, neither transecting to the "politically correct" nor the reactionary "neo-con!" If you'd like to spend some time in edifying conversation with a real student of The Empire, you'll find Darwin is your man!
Haythem Bastawy
Darwin tries to present a rather objective version of the story of Britain's Empire. He starts from the invasion of Ireland and finishes by the break up of the empire in the post war era. He argues that the empire was continuously in a state of arbitrary and unsystematic expansion motivated primarily by economic reasons and pioneered by individuals and make-shift armies. Unfinished Empire is a refreshing read, it tries to refute almost all other theories successfully and unsuccessfully in order...more
Blake Helms
What can I say, if you want a soup to nuts overview of the history of the British empire this book is for you. While at times the author could be excruciatingly verbose overall I found the book to be very interesting.
Laura Jordan
Finally. Finished. This book.

Ok, maybe that's a bit unfair. There were parts that were pretty interesting and I think Darwin made a solid case for the idea that the British Empire was not a monolithic entity, but rather an amalgamation of various political, economic, religious, military, and cultural interests, many of which were in direct conflict with one another. Ultimately the idea of empire was a far more concentrated and centrally-directed thing than the actual reality.

That being said, t...more
Andrew
Unfinished Empire is not a history of the acquisitions of new territories for Britain, or the intricacies of these possessions, but a wider view on how this large and scattered Empire came to be the dominant force on Earth, and then how it fell apart. There are many far-reaching reasons in this book, all of them well researched and very interesting. This book is more on how Empire's are made and broken than anything, and it is a very engaging read.
Tony Thomson
Oct 04, 2013 Tony Thomson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of narrative history
Recommended to Tony by: Economist Magazine
Brilliant!

Unbiased, packed with original and well-documented facts yet reads like a great novel. We live in the shadow of the British Empire - our laws, our constitutional thought, our economic worldview are all products of the British imperial diaspora.

This book explains what happened without apology for past wrongs and without trying to rationalize the accidental nature of the whole enterprise.
Dan
Great book! Unfulfilling ending!
Henry
This is a tough one to review. The second half of the book moves along well and is insightful, but the first half of this book is a struggle. The author finds several ways of saying the same thing (that there were many different structures that comprise the notion of "The Empire", that the British were flexible, opportunistic and so forth. I nearly gave up, but was glad I held on.
Little Henry
As an emigrant to the UK, John Darwin´s piece has provided me with a deep and balanced view of the last three hundred years of Great Britain as a growing power first, then as the world´s dominant empire for two hundred years before its geopolitical disassembling during the 20th century.
Christopher
Recommended for readers with interest in broad anglophone histoy, great for introductory courses

Full Review here: http://lovepovertyandwar.wordpress.co...
Yasmin
An amazing book about the British Empire that is not known, not even close to being taught in schools. It is a very concise and excellent account of the history of Britain, what made them empire and how it was lost. Highly recommended reading.
Edmund
Really enjoyed this; a magisterial work of synthesis that's beautifully written and compelling throughout. Judicious and complex in its judgements but doesn't shy from the appalling record of imperial Britain in so many regards
Pat
A very even handed account on the rise and decline of one of the great, if not greatest empires the world has ever seen.
Interesting for today's citizen to contemplate how free trade was a vehicle for growing the empire.
Jbondandrews
It was quite a good book. I have read other Empire books in the past I didn't really learn anything new although it was interesting to find out that a small expeditionary force sent by Napoleon reached Wales.
Jerome
A well written account of the establishment, rule and decline of the British empire. Worth reading by U.S. citizens as a blue print of what may very well be our own future demise.
Andy
A shimmering, balanced and thought-provoking evocation and dissection of the largest empire the world has ever known. A definitive and essential read.
Sannie Hald
The author is supposedly giving my class a lecture tomorrow... Interesting
Nat Shirman
Extrem interessant und gut geschrieben

(read in German)
Jan Kuhlmann
A very interesting read.
Andres
Andres marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
  • The Eagle Unbowed: Poland and the Poles in the Second World War
  • The Decline and Fall of the British Empire, 1781-1997
  • Return of a King: The Battle for Afghanistan
  • Small Wars, Faraway Places: Global Insurrection and the Making of the Modern World, 1945-1965
  • Europe: The Struggle for Supremacy from 1453 to the Present
  • A Line in the Sand: Britain, France and the Struggle for the Mastery of the Middle East
  • Tombstone: The Great Chinese Famine, 1958-1962
  • From the Ruins of Empire: The Intellectuals Who Remade Asia
  • Ghosts of Empire: Britain's Legacies in the Modern World
  • The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914
  • 1913: In Search of the World Before the Great War
  • Engineers of Victory: The Making of the War Machine That Defeated the Nazis
  • July 1914: Countdown to War
  • Danubia: A Personal History of Habsburg Europe
  • The Barbarous Years: The Peopling of British North America: The Conflict of Civilizations, 1600-1675
  • The Global Cold War: Third World Interventions and the Making of Our Times
  • The Crimean War
  • Year Zero: A History of 1945
Historian, currently Beit Lecturer in the History of the British Commonwealth at Oxford university, whose research interests include: The history of European imperialisms; the British empire circa 1880-1970 and the history and politics of decolonisation.
More about John Darwin...
After Tamerlane: The Global History of Empire Since 1405 The Empire Project: The Rise and Fall of the British World-System, 1830-1970 The End of the British Empire: The Historical Debate Britain And Decolonisation: The Retreat From Empire In The Post War World Britain, Egypt, and the Middle East: Imperial Policy in the Aftermath of War, 1918-1922