Start by marking “Film Critic: A Decade Behind the Scenes in the Movie Industry” as Want to Read:
Film Critic: A Decade Behind the Scenes in the Movie Industry

Film Critic: A Decade Behind the Scenes in the Movie Industry

"Film Critic: A Decade Behind the Scenes in the Movies Industry" is an insider look at the world of criticism, celebrity interviews, and movies. Ever wanted to know how a professional critic goes about his or her job? "Film Critic" alternates between hilarious and serious, offering something for writers and movie fans alike!
Published May 8th 2013 by Smashwords Edition (first published February 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Film Critic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Film Critic

Justin Smith
Nov 30, 2013 Justin Smith rated it really liked it
Laremy Legel uses his decade of experience to bring us a book that is not only essential reading for any aspiring film critic, but also an insightful and inspiring read for film fans in general. As someone who has been an editor and writer for a movie review site, I feel some areas didn't get a close enough look, but that is a small criticism of an otherwise entertaining and informative work. In the meantime, we can hope that Laremy will provide these details in his planned sequel Film Critic 2: ...more
Chris Williams
Sep 21, 2014 Chris Williams rated it did not like it
Laremy is an engaging reviewer on podcasts, but this "memoir" is nothing more than a collection of badly written (and poorly edited ) ramblings that feels like a stitched together Xanga journal. feels less like the work of a passionate critic and more like message board opining from a fanboy who lucked his way into the job. Legel IS a decent film critic, and I have liked his appearances on the /Filmcast. I'm confused how he thought this boon was ready to go.
Zeljka
I bought it out of curiosity, knowing the author from Ropes of Silicon. The book reads in fact as a memoir, about Legel's struggles to succeed in a field he loves so much, with bits of previously unpublished materials. As I am interested in the way how this whole film criticism works, I thought it would be an interesting read. And it was - I would definitely recommend it to any lover of the motion pictures and everything related to them.
Chrystian Harris
Mar 18, 2014 Chrystian Harris rated it it was amazing
A wonderful look into the mind of an esteemed film critic. A must-read for anyone with interest in not only film criticism, but film in general. The book provides wonderful insight and advice for any aspiring writer or critic. Informative, interesting, and funny; Legel's charming personality really shines through his words, and leaves us with a product that feels genuine and sincere.
Brandon Isaacson
Loved this book! Filled with interesting and engaging insights about the industry. He shows you his perspective, not trying to be "the" authoritative source. Very fair, very funny, very worthwhile read.
Claire Herting
Oct 29, 2015 Claire Herting rated it it was ok
I really enjoy listening to Laremy on podcasts and usually like his sense of humor, but for some reason his writing voice just rubbed me the wrong way in this book. Maybe it's because I was expecting a less colloquial novel?

It's a quick and easy read.
Rob
Jul 20, 2014 Rob rated it liked it
More autobiography than how-to, this book still has a lot to offer aspiring writers of all stripes, and is a helpful documenting of the progression of film criticism in general.
Lisa
May 17, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
A great and humorous take on the world of film criticism. Some fun stories on interviews as well. I hear a follow up is on the way which I will be sure to read as well.
Derek Ambrose
Mar 17, 2013 Derek Ambrose rated it really liked it
Shelves: 52-in-2013
Essays and film reviews combine into a great chronicle of what it means to be a film critic in the age of blogs, twitter and anonymous forums. Looking forward to a sequel.
Andy
Feb 28, 2014 Andy rated it it was ok
Essentially a series of blog entries, each mediocre at best. I enjoy Laremy on podcasts, but this is some weak, unfocused writing. The formatting and layout are especially irritating, as well.
Rich Boulton
Rich Boulton rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2013
Kelli
Kelli rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Steely Ben
Steely Ben rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2013
Clara Prado
Clara Prado rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Shaun Heenan
Shaun Heenan rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Sarah Hall
Sarah Hall rated it it was ok
Dec 21, 2015
Marko
Marko rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2014
Joey Sullivan
Joey Sullivan rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2016
Outer
Outer rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2015
David
David rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Jeffrey Quinn
Jeffrey Quinn rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
John Devins
John Devins rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Trent Vactor
Feb 16, 2014 Trent Vactor rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed!
Sebastian Gomez
Sebastian Gomez rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2014
Drew Koenig
Drew Koenig rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2013
Shawn
Shawn rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
May 26, 2014
Claire
Claire rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2014