Start by marking “My Soul to Keep” as Want to Read:
My Soul to Keep

My Soul to Keep

An entrepreneur with nothing more than a dream teams up with an actor just out of prison and a has-been scriptwriter. Is their effort truly inspired or doomed from the start? A true star, Brent had arrived, but a downward spiral ended in a terrible accident and six long years behind bars. Then God finds Brent in prison, and on release he sets himself up with a small busine ...more
Published September 30th 2007 by Bethany House Publishers (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about My Soul to Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Soul to Keep

Nora St Laurent
Jul 09, 2015 Nora St Laurent rated it it was amazing
This book by Davis Bunn reminds me of the books he has written under the name T. Davis Bunn; The Warning, The Presence, The Ultimatum. Just to name a few. They were powerful, gripping, thought provoking and life changing. They revealed God’s power in a way I had never read before.

“My Soul to Keep” is that kind of story. This book describes the movie business inside and out. Very similar to what the book “The Devil Wears Prada” did with the fashion industry. It reveals the good; the bad, and the
Nadine Keels
Apr 28, 2016 Nadine Keels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Soul to Keep by author Davis Bunn: a David and Goliath story if I ever read one. Here's a group of Hollywood has-beens embarking on a faith-based indie film project while some of Hollywood's elite, with a competing project, are dead set on burying the indie venture alive. But the impossible little scheme that a group of fallen stars is scraping together shouldn't be even an ounce of a threat to the powerhouse of big names, big dollars, glittering talent, and cunning minds filming across the c ...more
Ruth
May 08, 2016 Ruth rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Chick lit that reads like a gritty hallmark movie. Interesting take on relationships through the eyes of betrayal and foreignness and what the desires of your heart can cost.

The speaker with his raspy grit-encrusted voice unsettled her. He spoke about God as if the two of them had survived the same war. He used words that never entered her normal life-words like suffering, deliverance, enduring, patience, redemption. She is Shari and she is running and able to catch the things of the world, the
Nancy Kimball
Aug 24, 2012 Nancy Kimball rated it really liked it
L
Sep 29, 2012 L rated it it was amazing
I rarely read a book twice except for some of the classics, but realized after the first chapter that I had read this the year I married Barney when I was still in TN. It was so good that speed read it again. It deals with a movie star in Nashville who fell on hard times due to his drug abuse, and after five years of recovery, finds his way back to the stage. Lots of drama in this one, as well as a wonderful portrait of how one person's redemption can affect the lives of many others. Davis Bunn ...more
Deb
Mar 04, 2011 Deb rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, fiction
This well-crafted "David vs. Goliath" story was a satisfying read. Brent Stark is an actor who has found God in prison is contacted by a group of Christian business people who have a vision. That vision is to change the film industry by producing quality moral films outside of the Hollywood system. So the reader sees the contrast between the decadence of Hollywood and the religous integrity of the Christians, as well the battle between the two. And Brent has to face the demons of his past head o ...more
LadyCalico
Jul 14, 2011 LadyCalico rated it really liked it
This is described as a David v. Goliath Story but it reminds me more of the story of Satan v. Michael, where Michael must battle Satan over Moses without sinning and playing by all of God's rules, whereas Satan can lie and cheat as much as he wants. It is so refreshing to read Christian Fiction with well-drawn characters and a complex, interesting plot instead of just the same old/same old stale romances--this was so much more than just another Holy Harlequin.
Belinda
Aug 20, 2008 Belinda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone 16 or over
This one is a novel about the film industry. The story follows the lives of several people involved in competing films. Their lives are on different tracks morally and spiritually. This one gets on the inside of you. It is one that you think about when you are not reading. I finished it two weeks ago, and I am still thinking about it. I must read it again as soon as I
get it back from my daughter.
Beckysue
Nov 23, 2008 Beckysue rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the moral dilemma, especially at the end, when one of the characters has a decision to make, and the author doesn't say what she chose. It's up to the reader to figure out what they think she did, based on her character and motivation. I was pleased that the book wasn't too preachy, as sometimes happens with Christian authors.
Tracy
Jul 10, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
As the story developed the plot became predictable but still enjoyable to read. The author kind of leaves you hanging at the end and allows the reader to determine which decision was made by one of the main characters. I was a little miffed at first, but then settled in my mind how the story would end. Lots of interesting details about the film making industry.
Catherine
Aug 10, 2014 Catherine rated it liked it
A small start up film company sets out to create a film according to their values, directed by Hollywood has been Brent Stark. However, when filming starts, Shari Khan, who works for a major studio, sets out to do everything she can to stop production and claim power for herself. The story was fairly good, but there were points where I found the writing to be a bit week.
Lyndi
Feb 28, 2011 Lyndi rated it really liked it
not quite deserving of a 4, but not a 3 either. interesting take on the life of a Christian movie scene and what they have to go through, versus a secular movie. I didnt get into right off the bat, but about 100 pgs into, I started getting into. Love Bunns style and how he can just keep producing such different books.
Sue
Nov 12, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it
Interesting look at the difficulty of trying to operate artistically and ethically within the current Hollywood scene. I always love the way Davis Bunn is able to capture the depth of struggle within his characters.
Amy
Dec 16, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bunn-davis
This was fantastic! I couldn't put it down because I wanted to know what happened next. I liked that it took place inside the movie industry! I reminded me a bit of one of Karen Kingsbury's books as one of her characters was an actor as well. I look forward to reading more of Davis's work!
Lisa M.
Feb 01, 2011 Lisa M. rated it it was amazing
This was very good! Whether it was accurate or not, it sure made the Hollywood entertainment industry look even nastier then they already appear to be! LOL! But this is a great book about 2nd chances and reliance on God!
Connie
Aug 06, 2009 Connie rated it liked it
A business man with a dream and praying partners fight the competition in the making of a movie with an actor who is just out of prison, an actress whose face is scarred in an accident, and a scriptwriter who has been rejected in her field.
Margaret
Not his best, but I do like the look into the movie industry and the problems of independent film makers.
Sondra
Feb 12, 2011 Sondra rated it liked it
I like Davis Bunn's writing, but this book was a bit disjointed as far as I was concerned. Some of the story line seemed a bit improbable as well.
Melanie
Jul 31, 2012 Melanie rated it really liked it
Not Bunn's best work, but still a wonderful story of redemption and victory for believers. 3.5 stars.
Pat
Mar 21, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it
This is my first experience with writer Davis Bunn. It was a better story than I expected and definitely held my interest. He seems to know how "show Business" works. Very well-drawn characters!
Michelle
Jul 05, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, christian
Yes- the cover looks like a romance- no it's not one. What it is is a novel about the film industry- Hollywood vs. independent film making. Not bad.
Stephanie Blackbern
Jun 18, 2009 Stephanie Blackbern rated it it was amazing
very good and yet different again- I read all Davis Bunn-sometimes he is my "christian " version of John Grisham and will read all he writes
Libby
Sep 10, 2012 Libby rated it it was amazing
I really liked this story and it seemed plausible to me. God plus one is a majority was the lesson I saw in this David and Goliath story.
Holly Hastings
Holly Hastings rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Marcia Nelson
Marcia Nelson rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2013
Olivia
Olivia rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2015
Alisa Williams
Alisa Williams rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Shelley
Shelley rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2008
  • Allah's Fire (Task Force Valor Series, #1)
  • Web of Lies (Hidden Faces, #4)
  • Santa Fe Woman (Wagon Wheels Series, #1)
  • That's -Not Exactly- Amore (Drama Queen #3)
  • Blood Evidence (NCIS, #2)
  • Dying Declaration
  • Storm Surge (The Storm Series #3)
  • The Plainsman (Men of the Saddle #4)
  • Presumed Guilty
  • Solemnly Swear
  • Bella
  • High Stakes (Baxter #4)
  • Under Eastern Stars (Heart of India, #2)
  • For Pete's Sake (Piper Cove Chronicles #2)
Davis Bunn is an internationally-acclaimed author who has sold more than seven million books in twenty languages.

Honored with four Christy Awards for excellence in historical and suspense fiction, Davis was inducted into the Christy Hall of Fame in 2014.

His bestsellers include The Great Divide, Winner Take All, The Meeting Place, The Book of Hours, and The Quilt. A sought-after lecturer in the a
More about Davis Bunn...