Start by marking “Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum” as Want to Read:
Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum

Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum

4.67 of 5 stars 4.67  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In AD 79, the beautiful Bay of Naples was rocked by the dramatic fiery eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Pompeii and Herculaneum--and countless nearby farms, estates, and villages--were completely buried under pumice and super-heated ash. It was arguably the most widely recognized volcanic eruption in recorded history, and the ruins it left behind are our most valuable archaeolo ...more
Published March 1st 2013 by British Museum Press

To ask other readers questions about Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum

Kate
Having visited Pompeii and Herculaneum just last week (largely because of the exhibition which this book accompanies), I had to read this book as soon as possible. It gave my own experience at these two incredible sites - places I have longed to visit my entire life - a great deal of context. Likewise, if you have visited the sites (or the exhibition), you will get more from the book.

It is a substantial volume and is far more than a catalogue of this summer's exhibition at the British Museum. C
Caroline Lawrence
Extremely readable and superbly illustrated account of the last days of the cities destroyed by Vesuvius in AD 79. It's accurate, too. I went on an Andante Tour with Herculaneum expert Prof Andrew-Wallace-Hadrill in January 2013, and Paul Roberts is absolutely up-to-date with the latest theories. I'm giving two free talks for families at the British Museum in May 2013, and it's wonderful to have this fabulous resource.
Mary Warnement
I finished this book a couple months ago, but only just returned it, not to the library but to work (a library) where I can return it to Joyce who loaned it to me. This book made me regret not visiting the exhibition at the British Museum, even though I've been to Pompeii and Herculaneum.
Mim Mckay
As I can't get to the exhibition this is the next best thing. This book brings Pompeii+Herculaneum alive, it serves to personalize and paint the lives of those who perished. A book to treasure, place on a coffee table and immerse oneself periodically. A truly magical hard back!
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Robertpettifer
Robertpettifer marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Sally
Sally is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Anna-ruth Gray
Anna-ruth Gray marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
George
George added it
May 08, 2014
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Zahraa
Zahraa marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
George Tsolakis
George Tsolakis marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Anna Squires
Anna Squires marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Baskintm
Baskintm marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Jessica Venner
Jessica Venner marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Srinivas Kadiyala
Srinivas Kadiyala marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Roy
Roy added it
Dec 06, 2013
Irina Koryakina
Irina Koryakina marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Claude Debussy Images: The Piano Music of Claude Debussy Hardcover Cornflakes and Beaujolais Guide to Project Management: Achieving Lasting Benefit Through Effective Change Patterns of English