Start by marking “Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum” as Want to Read:
Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum

Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  32 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
In AD 79, the beautiful Bay of Naples was rocked by the dramatic fiery eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Pompeii and Herculaneum--and countless nearby farms, estates, and villages--were completely buried under pumice and super-heated ash. It was arguably the most widely recognized volcanic eruption in recorded history, and the ruins it left behind are our most valuable archaeolo ...more
Published March 1st 2013 by British Museum Press

To ask other readers questions about Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum

Kate
Mar 17, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing
Having visited Pompeii and Herculaneum just last week (largely because of the exhibition which this book accompanies), I had to read this book as soon as possible. It gave my own experience at these two incredible sites - places I have longed to visit my entire life - a great deal of context. Likewise, if you have visited the sites (or the exhibition), you will get more from the book.

It is a substantial volume and is far more than a catalogue of this summer's exhibition at the British Museum. C
Rosemary
Mar 30, 2016 Rosemary rated it really liked it
I skimmed through this. Informative and beautifully laid out.
Caroline Lawrence
Apr 13, 2013 Caroline Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Extremely readable and superbly illustrated account of the last days of the cities destroyed by Vesuvius in AD 79. It's accurate, too. I went on an Andante Tour with Herculaneum expert Prof Andrew-Wallace-Hadrill in January 2013, and Paul Roberts is absolutely up-to-date with the latest theories. I'm giving two free talks for families at the British Museum in May 2013, and it's wonderful to have this fabulous resource.
Mary Warnement
Jun 18, 2014 Mary Warnement rated it really liked it
I finished this book a couple months ago, but only just returned it, not to the library but to work (a library) where I can return it to Joyce who loaned it to me. This book made me regret not visiting the exhibition at the British Museum, even though I've been to Pompeii and Herculaneum.
Mim Mckay
Mar 30, 2014 Mim Mckay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
As I can't get to the exhibition this is the next best thing. This book brings Pompeii+Herculaneum alive, it serves to personalize and paint the lives of those who perished. A book to treasure, place on a coffee table and immerse oneself periodically. A truly magical hard back!
Adam Meade
Adam Meade marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Shaina
Shaina marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Terre Arena
Terre Arena marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Pam Newton
Pam Newton rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Xan
Xan rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Murad James
Murad James rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Aimee Ann
Aimee Ann marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Graham Eccles
Graham Eccles rated it did not like it
Dec 15, 2015
Marjorie
Marjorie is currently reading it
Nov 30, 2015
Angelique
Angelique marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Patricia Beykrat
Patricia Beykrat rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Izzy
Izzy rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Leigh
Leigh rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Emily
Emily is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2015
Kate Norton
Kate Norton marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
St-Loup
St-Loup marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Mike H
Mike H marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015